RUGER1022 15-Sep-20
Tweed 16-Sep-20
Mnhunter1980 16-Sep-20
Live2Hunt 17-Sep-20
Missouribreaks 17-Sep-20
Jeff in MN 18-Sep-20
Mnhunter1980 18-Sep-20
14-Sep-20
I am beginning my search for a range finder. I bought my first about 4 years ago, it’s the $99 Halo. It does compensate for angles/arc and does tell me yardage. But overall it’s pretty low grade compared to a few others I have tried.

I realize I got what I paid for and it served its purpose for stand hunting as far as ranging trees or rocks as I first sit down, but it pretty worthless when you need to make a quick accurate range on an animal with fading light especially. The read out is dim no matter how fresh my battery is. In the heat of the moment I must sound like a typewriter trying to click that thing faster thinking it might help somehow before the deer leaves.

Can anyone recommend some thing with arc compensation, a bold digital display and on a budget of 250 to 350?

Thanks

14-Sep-20
I have a Bushnell ARC 1000. Pretty cheap and does the trick. I'll be honest, I don't think I've ranged a deer ever in my life. There's no way I'd have one around my neck, and there's no way I'm needing to range a deer, when the only thing I do, is range targets like you do. I do that when I get in the tree. As far as the ARC advantage, I'm not sure it's really needed? Unless you are shooting in very steep terrain, there's very little compensation needed. I'm a close range bow hunter. I'm not shooting out to 40 at a deer, and I'm not shooting super steep angles, so all I need to know, is what does 20 yards look like, and I bet I'm within 3 yards on anything inside of 40 yards, so the range finder for deer hunting is almost unnecessary. Good luck finding what you need, but I'd use what you got.

14-Sep-20
I also have the Halo rangefinder and am curious about recommendations. The display is too dark.

14-Sep-20
Had a older Bushell. if you want it, it is somewhere in the white river National Forest in Colorado near Basalt. Now I have a Leupold rx-1000. Not sure how long I have had it. Bright red display. I think Leica also have a red display

15-Sep-20
Camofire has some great deals on rangefinders right now, but it ends in 15 minutes. You can also purchase from previous days by calling them.

15-Sep-20
I hear ya Pete, it’s mostly for hunting SD 1 week a year. We hunt evenings in fields and sometimes I am very surprised in the field with no way to really mark anything mentally. I also enjoy still hunting in the hills and other than that I dont range deer. I used an expensive sig and was impressed but can’t justify the price.

15-Sep-20
We tested a rangefinder with angle compensation vrs one without at 20 and 30 yards at a few different heights in the tree. The biggest difference was 3 yards but I was about 30 feet up in the tree. I agree that it's probably not necessary for whitetails.

15-Sep-20
Thanks tree geek and reggiespop. A red display might be a bonus.

At nobodies fault but my own I shoot a pretty heavy arrow so for me a 5 yard misjudgment especially in the hills is probably a wounded deer or hopefully a complete miss if I’m lucky.

15-Sep-20
The ARC rangefinders have come down in price somewhat so if you can buy one with it. I`ve personally never needed it even when hunting out west and really isn`t needed here.

Most "pre-range" items around their treestand as whitetail action happens pretty fast and you rarely have a chance to range an animal. If you have a regular rangefinder simply range a tree at the same level as your stand....not the base of the tree....and that is your actual shot yardage. You can also shoot the landmarks from the base of your tree before climbing in but the "shooting level distance" is easier.

15-Sep-20

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
RUGER1022's embedded Photo
I currently use a Nikon & I,m very happy with it . This one pictured is the TLR 75 Ranging . Made in the 70,s . Its off 2 yards at 20 or 30 & 5 yards at 40 .

I use the Nikon to shoot trails & trees before the seasons starts and leave it at home when in the stand .

I always use one out west where Elk & Mulie shots may be out to 60 yards . Infact its required equipment with some outfitters .

As far as angles ? A legendary shooter on this site 15 years ago told us ," its simple when you shoot Hi , aim hi . When you shoot low , Aim low " .

16-Sep-20
What takes longer: a compound guy looking through his range finder or a trad guy looking for his arrow?

:-)

16-Sep-20
Haha tweed! I’m guilty of both.

17-Sep-20
LMFAO, Ruger, I have one just like that. I was still using it up to 6 years ago when I went forward to a recurve. They work, just have to keep them clean and adjusted.

17-Sep-20
Some scopes have them built in.

18-Sep-20
I have a zeiss binocular that also has range displayed by pushing a button when looking through the bino. I love it. No compensation for angle but I don't shoot anything over 40 yards and I don't set stands higher than 12 feet, maybe a couple stands at 14 feet.

18-Sep-20
If you dont mind me asking Jeff , what did you pay for them and what size are they? Thanks

• Sitka Gear