Griz34 15-Sep-20
Dakota 15-Sep-20
Griz34 15-Sep-20
DR 15-Sep-20
Dakota 15-Sep-20
Out-there 17-Sep-20
Dakota 18-Sep-20
15-Sep-20
For those of you that are very familiar with elk hunting in the Black Hills would you give me your input. Don't be shy and lay it out like it is. With me being in a wheelchair what is the likelihood of getting into an area that would give me a realistic chance of getting an elk? I'm not only in a wheelchair but on a ventilator and I drive the wheelchair with a sip and puff straw that goes in my mouth. It just can't take much up and down or sidehill because it tips over pretty easy. Cold weather is also an issue most of the time. What do you think? I've taken plenty of deer and antelope on the ranch but that is a little bit different than venturing into the hills for elk.

15-Sep-20
I'm not as experienced as a lot of the guys on here but I've helped on around 12 different hunts in units 1, 2, and 3. I'd say you could definitely do it as long as you're able to ride in a truck to get to some of the open places in units 2 and 3. I knew a guy who had the use of only one arm and was in a wheel chair. Due to his disability he was allowed to shoot from the truck. He killed his bull opening day. Im sure there are also water hole and game trail scenarios that could be figured out. I say you should do it.

15-Sep-20
Thanks Grizz34

I also have the permit to hunt for my vehicle. It is a big van but only 2 wheel drive but I get around to some pretty gnarly stuff in it. I didn't realize you could drive off of the roads in the hills. I'm sure there some that you can't but there must be some you can? Could you explain more?Or would I be parked on a legal road to shoot from in an open area where elk pass through? Like I said I don't know much about the hills at all. In my mind it was drive on a road close to your spot that you wanted to hunt and park it. From there you get back to the actual spot to hunt over the hill.

15-Sep-20
The guy I knew that did it just parked of the side of a forest service road opening morning. I think he was in the southern part of Unit 2. There are parts of that unit that are really open. He was parked on a ridge where they like to travel. From what I can remember the shot was less than 100 yards. I think you could definitely get down most of those roads with your van. Unless there was bad weather of course.

15-Sep-20
Randy, I haven't seen a lot of great spots it would work in but I do believe it's possible in the right situation. There have been plenty of elk seen close to moderate roads, just have to get fortunate. If you do draw, I'll certainly volunteer to help you out man. Good luck.

15-Sep-20
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I didn't want to draw the license and have a 0 chance at getting something. I'd rather stay out of the draw and let somebody else have a chance if that was the situation.

17-Sep-20

Out-there's embedded Photo
One of my favorite areas in H2. This spot would be a 140yd. shot from the legal parking area. If you can traverse a smooth dirt trail, you can reduce that to a 50yd. shot. Been hunting this area for many years. Take 3-4 elk off it every year. More than happy to help a fellow elk hunter.

I can think of 2 other areas in H2 that are easily accessible other than 10" of snow.

18-Sep-20
I can't think you guys enough for your replies and really appreciate it.

• Sitka Gear