Contributors to this thread:
Tweed 26-Sep-20
Mnhunter1980 26-Sep-20
upnorth 27-Sep-20
jjs 27-Sep-20
ground hunter 28-Sep-20
Live2Hunt 28-Sep-20
26-Sep-20
I've been shooting in the backyard this summer. All sorts of distances. None of them measured but generally between 10 and 30 yards. Became quite the Robin hood.

Some buddies and I went to a local outdoor range to shoot and for them to dial in new compounds (I'm shooting a rd longbow) and I couldn't keep a 3" group at 20 yards.

Funny... I figured that all the stuff in the yard subconsciously helped me aim accurately after so much practice. Remove all that stuff and I loosen up.

Shows the importance of not shooting in the same place too much.

26-Sep-20
I’ve noticed the same thing tweed. Shooting my recurve in my basement all winter/spring. Go to shoot it at. 3D at my buddies and I missed it completely and walked it in the leg. I thought I was getting pretty decent at 15 yards. Guess not

27-Sep-20
I see it in my range quite often . People can shoot the heck of of paper targets but move them to the 3d targets and they don't look like the same shooter .

27-Sep-20
Something about shooting in an enclose range that messes up the perception than being outdoors if one doesn't shoot it very often with bare bow, at least this is my opinion. I shoot a recurve and had to qualify for a town bow hunting license and had to put 5 arrows in a 5" circle at 20 yrs indoors, was intimidated at first but really had to concentrate on my form to pass, prefer the great outdoors.

28-Sep-20
Tweed,,,, I can understand what your saying. since I have the woods all around my house I simply stump shoot. I like to shoot at 3D targets, good fun and practice. In the indoor range, I suck, have no idea why..... its just different, buy my style is not for target.

I cant and shoot 3under ...... I believe what I am about to say. When it comes to a stick bow, you really have to find one, that you can really shoot, and to do that, you got to shoot a lot of bows.... That's why the trad shoots are so nice....... After selling my heavier bows, I found that Black Hunter. I can simply shoot it. Like a bike, I can set it down, and hey a few weeks later, it shoots just fine......... So first off, you really have to have a bow, that fits like a glove,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have gone thru a lot of bows

28-Sep-20
A big yes on stump shooting. My trips out hunting/scouting have been mainly stump shooting and scouting. Even when I go to a stand in the afternoon, I kill every mushroom (well try to) I lay eye's on with my judo point. Great practice.

• Sitka Gear