Pat Lefemine 18-Aug-22
Shawlerbrook 19-Aug-22
jdbbowhunter 19-Aug-22
drenalineman 14-Sep-22
drenalineman 14-Sep-22
CTBobcat 12-Oct-22
Al Dente Laptop 12-Oct-22
29-Sep-20
One dead in my yard and at least 3 dead in the woods nearby judging by the smells out when hiking local trails in Brewster.

On September 3, DEC confirmed that several white-tailed deer in the town of Philipstown and villages of Nelsonville and Cold Spring in Putnam County and in the town of Goshen in Orange County died after contracting Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). DEC has since documented additional cases in the areas of western Putnam, eastern Orange, southern Ulster, northeastern Rockland and northwestern Westchester counties. Within those areas, DEC wildlife biologists have received reports of over 450 likely EHD white-tailed deer mortalities from the public. DEC wildlife biologists have collected approximately two dozen deer carcasses from across the affected area and submitted the carcasses and tissue samples to the Wildlife Health Unit for necropsy.

EHD is a viral disease of white-tailed deer that cannot be contracted by humans. EHD virus is carried by biting midges, small bugs often called no-see-ums or 'punkies.' Once infected with EHD, deer usually die within 36 hours. The disease is not spread from deer to deer or from deer to humans.

The EHD virus was first confirmed in New York in 2007 in Albany, Rensselaer, and Niagara counties, and in Rockland County in 2011. EHD outbreaks are most common in the late summer and early fall when midges are abundant. EHD symptoms include fever, hemorrhage in muscle or organs, or swelling of the head, neck, tongue, and lips. A deer infected with EHD may appear lame or dehydrated. Frequently, infected deer will seek out water sources, and many succumb near a water source. There is no treatment for nor means to prevent EHD. The dead deer do not serve as a source of infection for other animals.

EHD outbreaks do not have a significant long-term impact on deer populations. EHD is endemic in the southern states where there are annual outbreaks, so some southern deer have developed immunity. Generally, in the northeast, EHD outbreaks occur sporadically, and deer in New York have no immunity to this virus. Consequently, most EHD-infected deer in New York are expected to die. In the north, the first hard frost kills the midges that transmit the disease, ending the EHD outbreak.

At this time, DEC does not have any plans to reduce harvest in areas impacted by EHD. DEC manages deer population on the Wildlife Management Unit (WMU) scale, and the effects of EHD on that level are still uncertain. If, after this season, harvest indices suggest deer populations on the WMU scale are at or below desired levels, DEC may reduce issuing future Deer Management Permits (DMPs) to either stabilize or increase deer populations as necessary.

Hunters should not handle or eat any deer that appears sick or acts strangely. Report sightings of sick or dying deer to the nearest DEC Regional Office or to an Environmental Conservation Police Officer. For more information on EHD and helpful related links, visit the DEC website.

29-Sep-20
Ya its pretty bad in parts of Orange County.

15-Dec-21
We are in St.Lawrence co.'right on the Canadian border;we lost a bunch for sure in our area to EHD: parts of the county the calculate have lost 70%.We a had a little below average ourselves;filled 3 of 4 tags with decent bucks. Seems to be about the same number of deer around us;funny rut tho.

17-Aug-22
DEC just sent email. EHD is back. Confirmed in dutchess county so far

18-Aug-22
So what is their response? More doe tags?

19-Aug-22
Here in 7M no EHD that we know about but the DMP’s were supposed to be down and so far everyone I know got 2 ? Go figure.

19-Aug-22
They increased in 3m last year after EHD hit hard the year before. So I'd say ya. What a joke. But DEC doesn't want to disappoint anyone.

14-Sep-22
over 40 deer were found dead in Pawling, NY..... no see um/EHD appears to be the culprit.. Thats a lot of deer

14-Sep-22
over 40 deer were found dead in Pawling, NY..... no see um/EHD appears to be the culprit.. Thats a lot of deer

12-Oct-22
From today's NY DEC Newsletter. Another 165 dead, so likely more. gotta be pushing 2,000+ by now since 2020.

Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in New York State Deer populations in New York are being affected by isolated outbreaks of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) for the third consecutive year in 2022. EHD was first confirmed in eastern Dutchess County in early August, followed by western Rensselaer and Suffolk Counties at the end of August. So far this summer/fall, DEC has received 165 reports of deer suspected to have/had EHD, and is currently working to sample additional deer to better understand the full extent of these outbreaks. This year’s outbreaks are more localized than those that affected New York in 2020 and 2021. For comparison, over 1500 deer suspected to have/had EHD were reported to DEC by the public in both 2020 and 2021.

Deer populations in the EHD-affected counties are very productive, and should recover over a period of years. DEC has reduced the number of deer management permits available to hunters in certain wildlife management units to account for these repeat EHD outbreaks and will continue to do so as necessary based on best available information to help the deer population recover. EHD outbreaks typically end with the first hard frost which kills off the Culicoides midges that spread the disease. To help DEC make deer management decisions using the best information, we encourage everyone to submit reports of EHD-suspected deer through DEC’s online EHD reporting form, and hunters to participate in the bowhunter sighting log and to report all deer harvested.

12-Oct-22
DEC has not reduced DMP's in my area, 4Y, which was decimated last year by EHD. I got both and I bought it 3 weeks after licenses went on sale, well into EHD season. I spent 10 days at my place and in all of that time, saw 1 deer and that was at 9:30PM when walking my dog. No droppings, no tracks, even after rain on well established trails, zero deer. Totally inept and arrogant DEC. Keep selling licenses, keep having early special hunts in certain WMU's, keep the "Holiday Hunt", keep DMP's, just release wolves, grizzlies, and cougars, and end it already!

• Sitka Gear