Hunter's Granddad 11-Oct-20
Quailhunter 13-Oct-20
swampokie 20-Oct-20
06-Oct-20

Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Snakes can climb trees? WTH?
Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Snakes can climb trees? WTH?
PREFACE: I am not fond of snakes with no discrimination to color, size or lethality! And, I fully understand there are "good" snakes which to me just means I'll still crap myself when I see one but won't die if it bites me(that'd make it a "bad" snake aka poisonous). Recently purchased some land outside Okemah and there's an old camper on it. I posted on craigslist for free if someone wanted to replace the tires and haul it off - in pretty bad shape. Well, got several wanting it and have someone there now trying to get it out. He called and said there was an old pop up blind and tripod stand by the camper and asked if could have them. I said sure - not in the condition I would EVER use but 'free' seems to entice some more than others! When talking to him, he said his girlfriend found about a 6' snake skin. DAMN! Well, likely a "good" snake since most poisonous ones around that area don't get that big. Have killed 1 pygmy rattler and seen another one on this property already.

Okay, Russ, what's the point to your story? He sent me the attached pic a couple minutes later - seems the old pop up blind in the leaves was his/her home!

06-Oct-20
He's either getting a broadhead in the eye if coming up towards me in the stand or I'm going to be testing out the safety harness with a 15' freefall!! Now I'm going to be paranoid climbing into my stand in the dark.

06-Oct-20
Did you say Okemah? There have been several killed by snakes in that area while climbing into treestands!

06-Oct-20
Go back to the CO forum John!!

06-Oct-20
And I think all of those guys lived in CO before moving to Okiehoma. Something those snakes like about former CO residents! ;)

06-Oct-20
Rat snake. They can really get big and climb like no ones business. Old timers called them chicken snakes. They’re fond of the eggs in the chicken coop. Harmless of course. Having said that, I’d rather not have one in my tree stand with me but I wouldn’t hurt one.

07-Oct-20
Quailhunter, I'm fine with them if they stay outta MY tree!! We raised calves when I was younger and had to give them a section of alfalfa. Would find big rat snakes in-between the bales and scared the crap out of me every time.

John, born in OKC and raised South of town in Newcastle. OSU grad. Okie tried and true! Spent most of the last 28 years in CO and just love the state. Moved back to OK 3 years ago to help my Mom take care of Dad. Tough decision but then again pretty easy given the circumstances. Still don't like snakes.

07-Oct-20
Yea I have a couple of big martin houses. Lowered it one day a couple of years ago to check some of the nests. Had a young one living in one. No telling how many chicks he snacked on. He wasn't too happy with me relocating him.

11-Oct-20

Hunter's Granddad's embedded Photo
Hunter's Granddad's embedded Photo
I was checking game cameras last year on Nov 14 and this was my find.

13-Oct-20
Be a bad day if he tagged you.

20-Oct-20
Stubtailed devil of the swamp!

• Sitka Gear