babysaph 31-Oct-20
JayD 31-Oct-20
Old Reb 31-Oct-20
David Mitchell 31-Oct-20
Wayne Boone 31-Oct-20
WV Mountaineer 31-Oct-20
Jack Whitmrie jr 01-Nov-20
31-Oct-20
So I wanted to make an effort to hunt from the ground this year. I killed this buck yesterday evening. I knew this buck was in the area so I waited for him. I have been using a Waldrop pacseat and a ghillie suit. I actually like hunting from the ground but deer smell you easier and can see you draw much easier. Last week I made a small natural blind with just some small stuff that was laying around. I hate commercial blinds and have no luck with them as the deer are real spooky around them. Some say brush them in but I might as well just use a natural blind and I also don’t want other hunters to see them. Besides the ghillie suit works great. I got to my area near several oaks the deer are using about 3:45. I barely got seated and saw a 6 point cruising for does.. I saw this deer chasing a doe last week. About 2 hours later the deer started filtering into the area. I had a big doe and a spike feeding around me and luckily they did not wind me. Can’t imagine how they didn’t because the wind was shifting And blowing in all directions. As I watched the deer feed I caught movement about 60 yards away out of the corner of my eye and this deer was watching the spike and the doe. After a few minutes he decides to join the crowd and comes in with the other deer. He was about 8 yards from me but I could not draw as the doe and spike were facing me. It’s hard to draw on 3 deer from 8 yards. As if the Good Lord was answering my prayers both deer moved just enough to get their head behind a tree. As I drew on the buck from my knees he caught me and looked right at me. I could only get to 3/4 draw but shot and watched the arrow shoot completely through him. He ran about 40 yards and stumbled and I knew I had him. He then walked another 20 yards and teetered over and went down. Even though I watched the arrow go completely through the back of the lungs I was worried until he fell over. After all of this the big doe is standing watching me. Go figure. Anyway I thought I would share this and give hope to anyone that is thinking about hunting more from the ground. I am learning. But it can be done. I was using my 47 lb homemade bow and Easton axis arrows. I was also using a Rancho Safari ghillie suit. I have tried a lot of them but like this one the best. This is the biggest bodied mountain buck I have ever killed. Good luck

31-Oct-20

babysaph's embedded Photo
babysaph's embedded Photo

31-Oct-20

31-Oct-20
Congrats! And while in aflutter at that!!!

31-Oct-20
Yep and on a blood thinner. Lol

31-Oct-20
It must have been something in the water at HHS! LOL

31-Oct-20
Congrats on your natural ground blind buck! Probably just like the Native Americans used to do it. Minus the gillie suit. :)

31-Oct-20
Congratulations JR. Nice buck.

31-Oct-20
Congrats JR, you done good. I’m trying to get over a cold so I can get some more bowhunting in before the holidays. Cool story!

31-Oct-20
Congrats buddy

01-Nov-20
Its fun hunting them from the ground but tough to do-good job!

• Sitka Gear