horsethief51 15-Nov-20
horsethief51 15-Nov-20
Rut Nut 15-Nov-20
X-Master 15-Nov-20
horsethief51 18-Nov-20
07-Nov-20
Good luck.

07-Nov-20
4 of us at in camp for the week in 3B. Best morning so far saw 3 bucks, 2 were shooters.

07-Nov-20
Seen a 3 point and a 5 point all grunting and looking for does, best rut activity so far of the season, had action till 11am.

07-Nov-20
Had a nice 8 pt scent checking and then chasing a doe right next door while I was doing leaves in the yard this afternoon! She did a big circle in the yard and the buck had his nose to the ground following her trail about 30’ behind- then chased her. Guess she wasn’t quite ready! ;-)

07-Nov-20
Nate, Ed and Chise saw a total of 9 deer this morning. I saw one doe this morning.

08-Nov-20
shot a seven point Friday morning, first one in a couple years

09-Nov-20
I saw a pretty coyote this morning. He cut my trail and got a whiff of my scent and bolted at about 40 yards.

09-Nov-20
Congrats Mike! : )

09-Nov-20

lettman's embedded Photo
lettman's embedded Photo
Shot an eight point early on Saturday morning. The deer was working it's way to my right and then went down some really thick deer paths. He then came out in front of me at twenty yards. This is our second year on our new land and it was the first year I could really hunt.

09-Nov-20
Saw the 2 same small bucks that I saw saturday morning, only seen 1 shooter so far and that was up north in 2f.

09-Nov-20
Nice Ken. Watched a familiar (small) 4 point walk up the bottom of the big hollow and he turned left to take the short cut to the dam. He stopped just past the weeping willows and peed on his tarsal glands. He crossed the dam and went up over the hill towards my morning stand. 5 minutes later I stood up and saw the 7 point I passed up a few weeks ago coming up the same big hollow. He continued straight up to the pond where we fish and disappeared around the bend towards one of the blinds. Nice night again.

10-Nov-20
Congrats Ken!

Bucks are still moving...............good to hear it Art!

10-Nov-20

lettman's embedded Photo
Last nights buck
lettman's embedded Photo
Last nights buck
Yes, the buck are definitely still moving! This one was ten yards from my treestand last night. It's always bittersweet to be tagged out.

10-Nov-20
At 7:45 this morning a 3 up, at least, half rack walked by at about 50 yards. 4:15 this afternoon a small but legal buck walked straight up behind my tree to about 10 feet then veered left and passed by at 5 yards. Got a good look at his head. Too young. At 5:05 the older 7 point came over the ridge at about 50 yards in front of me and cut to my right. Nice evening.

11-Nov-20
Its raining in most of WPA this morning. Slept until 7 AM. I have been getting up in the dark on Sundays for the last 6 weeks. LOL. Gonna hit it hard again starting tomorrow. Hope the weather cooperates.

11-Nov-20
I am hoping it lets up some for a quick afternoon hunt. With it cooler and wet, they should be on their feet.

11-Nov-20
Just cloudy this morning in Eastern Pa..............was out before first light. Nothing moving and it started drizzling at 10. Decided to pack it in before everything got wet and I had to dry all my gear in the house again. Should have stuck it out another 15 min................heard deer blowing as I was packing up my climber. Oh well, will be back at it on Saturday.

12-Nov-20
I got a 7 point in 3B yesterday right before the rain started. Bucks are on their feet at camp they just started chasing hard this week.

12-Nov-20

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
Cody shot this buck at 2:00 this afternoon, while on his way to get in his stand. The buck was chasing a doe , Cody was able to get between them and shoot the buck on the ground. There was a super blood trail on the ground, but the blood on the arrow didn't match, so we decided to wait a few hours before tracking, turns out that wasn't necessary, the buck was very stiff when we got to him.

13-Nov-20
Nice buck! Congrats to Cody! Looks like he got the carotid artery..................

13-Nov-20
Congrats! That is a nice buck Cody.

13-Nov-20
Jay good job getting the seven point!

13-Nov-20
Way to go Cody.

13-Nov-20
So Wednesday afternoon around 5 a small buck strolled past my stand uphill of me and stopped to eat acorns. A few minutes later a bigger buck with a decent 4 points on his right side followed by. We have had a couple bucks with similar racks and crazy stuff going on with the left side this year, and since I have a thing for odd ball racks, (the guys who have been here will tell you) I made the decision to take the shot. I guess it was a little further than I thought and the arrow hit what I thought was 5 o'clock in the ten ring missing the bone just above the elbow. Too much arrow was sticking out and later I found that the broadhead hit the opposite side shoulder. He was stumbling and sliding on rocky ground covered in deep leaves as I watched him go about 80 yards along the ridge then cut over the ridge away from me. Still thought it was a good hit. So I got down and after gathering my stuff I went to find blood before it got dark. After marking the spot I went to get my buddy who needs 2 knee replacements and can hardly walk for help.

13-Nov-20
When we got back it was easy to follow the light blood trail with my very bright light to where I last saw him disappear over the crest of the hill which was about 80 yards from my stand. As we started across the wide hilltop which my dad used to plow with a two horse walk behind plow as a teenager in the 1940's the blood trail quickly was reduced to a spot here and there every 10 to 20 feet or so for the next 80 yards. Coincidentally the trail went across Rutnut's blood trail from previously. There was also a short steeper section that my buddy could not manage so he stayed there while I went on following more of a deer trail than a blood trail, managing to somehow find minute drops of blood every once in a while. About 50 yards from the edge of where it gets steep I found a nice big splash of blood that continued past one of or signs. The trail was very easy to follow to the edge and for another 50 yards down the steep side into the hollow where Rut's deer went, but up the other direction. The end of the blood trail was under some low hanging limbs that still had leaves on them next to two logs where he made a bed that was empty. I checked a 20 yard circle around the down hill side and could not find anymore blood. My buddy was yelling for me and I decided it was a good time to stop and wait for morning.

13-Nov-20
I have to go pick up hunters so this will have to wait a while.

13-Nov-20
Rut hasn't even heard this yet. LOL.

13-Nov-20
All 3 guys saw deer. Ed had a buck chase a doe past him late that was going too fast to count points.

13-Nov-20
So, Thursday morning I dropped two hunters off a couple hills away so they could get a few hours of hunting in. They usually only hunt weekends so I didn't want them to miss the chance to hunt. I was able to actually drive my utv on a logging road to the edge of the property close to where the deer went over the steep side. When it got light I could see the tree I marked the night before where the blood got good. It was easy to follow the blood again in the light to his last bed. I was unable to find new blood in the light so I got below the bed, got out the binos and started scanning the hollow bellow. Didn't take long to see a nice sized deer body about 100 yards away down (the steep hill) and to the right. Before I left the house I packed light for walking and climbing. My cell doesn't work back there so didn't have that or my camera. So I did not get any pictures on the ground back there. I always said if I ever killed a deer back there I'd pack him out. So, just like Curtis, I started peeling skin and carving meat with my sharpest knife. I saw Fred Eichler do it with a multi tool blade on an elk once. For those of you who don't know, I had 2 heart procedures and a hernia repair over 13 months, so it was a challenge to make 3 trips up that steep hill to my utv. Had to make several stops to get it done but I did it. The 2 hind quarters were last, one slung over my shoulder the other held by that tendon in the leg. Now I know why everything hurts today. Dinner is ready, more to follow.

13-Nov-20
The arrow passed thru the chest cavity between the front legs. Not sure what organs it hit in there, but it was a fatal shot. The buck had 4 points with an 8.5 inch g-2 on the right side and a y on the left side. It had decent mass and I wont know until I look at his jaw but I am guessing he is 2 and a half years old. I will try to get a tasteful picture of it. We even had the meat cut up and packaged by noon. I'm sure Rutnut can picture all i have described because he was just there a week and a half ago.

13-Nov-20
Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to track him down.

13-Nov-20
Congrats horsethief, on the buck and a great story.

13-Nov-20
Congratulations Art!

14-Nov-20
Congratulations Art.

14-Nov-20
Always good to read successful stories on here. Thanks for sharing!

14-Nov-20
Congrats Art!

14-Nov-20
congrats art!

15-Nov-20
WAY TO GO, Art! I had NO doubt you would get a nice buck! You always seem to get one before the season is over! ;-)

15-Nov-20
Now how bout a pic?

15-Nov-20
CONGRATULATIONS ART!! GOOD STORY! I know you always have good stories! LOL!! OK- Now let's get those pictures up buddy!!!!

15-Nov-20

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
This was the best I could do since I had no camera or phone in the woods and he got back home in pieces.

15-Nov-20

Any thoughts on age?

15-Nov-20
That’s a cool rack, Art! I love those distinctive racks. I’m not the one to ask about age, though! ;-)

15-Nov-20
Judging from my charts, I'm agreeing with you Art on 2 1/2 yrs. old.

18-Nov-20

in front of stand at 12 yards.
in front of stand at 12 yards.
Found pictures on my trail camera.

• Sitka Gear