Chief 03-Dec-20
KSJHawk 03-Dec-20
Bentstick54 03-Dec-20
09-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Facing SE
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Facing SE
I don’t post much but I thought I would do a mobile live hunt. I enjoy reading others so hopefully I have something to share this week.

I hunt with a recurve on some public ground a few miles from home. Area I’m at today is totally new and more of a scout than a hunt. I need some new spots for S wind.

I’m sitting over an intersection of two dry creek beds. Cut beans to the north.

Once I got situated I began seeing old tree stands. 3 old stands within 50 yards of me. Still thankful for lots of areas to hunt.

Tuesday and Thursday are the days I’m most hopeful for. I’ll be out all week and planning all days sits.

09-Nov-20
Good luck to you Sam, look forward to following along

09-Nov-20
Will be watching here too Sam, I can overlook your "handle" ;?) Have fun!

09-Nov-20
Sam...following. Good luck!

09-Nov-20
Will be following along also Sam. Good luck. Nice to see another trad Hunter out there.

09-Nov-20
Good Luck hope to see lots of really cool pics.

09-Nov-20
So much for an all day sit. I had a killer headache, so I ran home for some Advil. Felling better.

Scouted a bit for the last few hours and I’m not seeing what I was expecting. I left my stand up and I’ll try to be back in by 3:00. Too hot right now and I’m hoping to catch some deer heading into the beans tonight.

09-Nov-20
Slow day, but felt really good to be out. Family, work and life can make it difficult for me to get out. This was my first sit of the year.

The wind died down late in the afternoon and stayed north all day. I saw one doe at 5:20 and I think was a fawn. It was about 60 yards, so kind of hard to tell. I sure was hoping it’s mamma was behind with a buck in tow. No such luck. I saw one more deer as I was packing up. It came in down wind and spooked when I stood up from putting my gear together.

I have much higher expectations for tomorrow.

10-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Looking to the North.
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Looking to the North.
Got set up a bit late, but I don’t think I missed anything.

I’m in a spot that really needs a North or East wind but I felt like it was worth the risk today. Wind is out of the West right now and I hope is turns North a bit more.

I’m about 20 off a fence line running N & S. Pasture to the west or my back and the deer come from the North or my left.

Shot a nice buck here last year and saw a really nice split G2 buck a few days later.

10-Nov-20
Looks like you may have gotten somebody else's picture added to your post?

I have noticed that happens when you have poor signal strength, when it takes an extended amount of time to upload the picture. You can click on "Image Tool" above your picture, and delete that picture if it is an error. Has happened three times so far on my hunt posts.

10-Nov-20
KSjHawk...look out! There is a drunk Scotsman killing wild boars directly underneath you!

11-Nov-20
Is the drunk hog hunter still there? I see the picture I posted.

11-Nov-20
Yesterday was a long day. I didn’t see a thing all day. At 5:20 I heard some rustling and with the rain earlier in the morning I didn’t think it was a deer. I was wrong. A little 2.5 year old came running in and spotted me grabbing my bow.

11-Nov-20
I need to quit goofing with this phone. Just had a doe and a dorky come by at 70 yard. Watched them for a bit and then went back to typing. A nice buck approached from the other side. It’s so quiet this morning, you will not get away with anything.

11-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Off my left shoulder facing South
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Off my left shoulder facing South
Set up in bit of a meadow this morning. I rarely set up in stuff this open because the shots can be so much longer. I am right off on old drive and that is where I’m hoping they walk.

Cold and still this morning. Very beautiful with everything covered in frost. So far I’ve had two bucks and a doe, so hopefully the day continues well.

11-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Small forky is in the middle of the pic. Left side broke off.
KSJHawk's embedded Photo

11-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo

11-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Doe
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Doe
Single doe just made a big loop around me. Heard a buck grunt twice, I think it was the broke off forky.

11-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Small buck and doe here
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Small buck and doe here
Another small buck and a doe. Not sure if she is hot, but she is staying in the meadow and he is bird dogging her hard. Pretty neat to watch.

11-Nov-20
Another young buck about 80 yards to my west.

11-Nov-20
KSJHAWK....take your pics in landscape mode and they will load correctly. If you take them in portrait mode (vertical) they load sideways like the 2 pics directly above. Good Luck!

11-Nov-20
Ice 120” 8 was just at 15 yards. I needed him to turn to the right, but he went straight. No shot due to the angle.

A young but tall 8 is behind him and a doe just appeared.

11-Nov-20
Another 120” 8 was 75 yards to my North. Called but all he did was turn his head. I have never called a deer in. Only reaction I’ve ever had is the head turn.

11-Nov-20
Just had a spike come to 40 yards. He winded me for sure, but was more curious than anything. Stayed around for a while. Also had a nice 8 cruising. Not fast but paid no attention to the little guy or my calls. I think he was one of the bucks I saw this morning.

I think I’m going to come back to this spot in the am.

11-Nov-20
Please confirm...are you meat hunting or holding out for a minimum size buck? Only asking because earlier comments seemed to infer you will shoot a min. 120" 8 ptr. if given a chance. Nothing wrong with that as it is your tag and not judging in anyway....just wondering what you will shoot and what you'll pass up? Thx,

12-Nov-20
I am just meat hunting for something wearing a big giant rack. I won’t kill a doe on this hunt unless I fill my buck tag. My daughter is going to rifle hunt this year, so we should have plenty of meat by the end of the season.

I would love to kill a giant buck, but I have a hard time letting 2.5 year old deer walk. I’ve also never seen a giant buck while hunting. I won’t shoot a buck that is obviously a 1.5 year old.

12-Nov-20
I got into my stand a bit late. Was walking in a pink light and saw a buck. I had concealment behind a cedar and was trying to get a better look at him. He was probably 35 yards. As I was moving a doe that I didn’t see blew and they busted out. There were at least 2 bucks and 2 does.

Not as cold this morning. Very still and quiet. I’m hunting the same tree I was in yesterday. I had good movement until 11:00. Hoping for the same.

12-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Doe and fawn
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Doe and fawn
Doe and fawn just popped out at 25 yards. They knew something wasn’t right and were not at all comfortable. No buck trailing.

12-Nov-20
Two little doe keep running around. In and out of the woods and around the clearing. Almost looks like they are just having fun. Almost 100% sure they are both doe, but I suppose one may be a button buck. It entertaining at least.

12-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Buck was on the other side of the small cedar in the middle of the lane. 15 yards max.
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Buck was on the other side of the small cedar in the middle of the lane. 15 yards max.
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
So close. Just had a hot doe run by at 15 yards. A dink was about 5 seconds behind her. Heard him grunt at least 10 times. Another 10 seconds pass by and I heard some more grunting. Out comes a nice 8 or 9, wide but not tall or heavy. He was walking too fast for me to shoot so I stop him right behind a bush. His entire body is covered. He is there for about 4 seconds when a third smaller buck comes by and they both run off. Everything was perfect except one small bush.

12-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
A doe and a dink just came through walking with the wind. The buck was about 100 yards behind her and I think he was having a hard time following her trail. I tried calling and he came on a string right under my tree.

12-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
A doe and a dink just came through walking with the wind. The buck was about 100 yards behind her and I think he was having a hard time following her trail. I tried calling and he came on a string right under my tree.

12-Nov-20
Another hunter just walked on the edge of my clearing. I can’t tell if he is setting up or just walking by.

12-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Hope this is a good sign.
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Hope this is a good sign.
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Facing West
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Facing West
Im in a new set up for this evening. I’m hunting the very corner of the property and there is wheat to my SW. hoping to intercept them going to feed.

I’m sitting in an old dead cottonwood. There is a cut limb right where I set up. Looks like I’m not the first guy to sit this tree.

12-Nov-20
Good luck this evening. I went out this morning and stayed until 11:00. Had several young single does pass through, a bottom buck and small doe fawn, and 1 maybe 2-1/2 yr old 8 pt run a hot doe under my tree, both had tongues hanging out, I tried to stop him but he was stuck on the doe, and then about 30 minutes later a doe that must be getting close to estrus meander through with a small 6 pt following her around like a puppy on a leash. I’m planning on going back out tomorrow morning.

12-Nov-20
If I had a nickel for every time I've been "blocked by the bush"...good luck bud, hope tonight's your night!

12-Nov-20
First buck just came through. He came on the wrong side of me though and was behind me. He was directly down wind of me but didn’t seem alarmed. It’s blowing pretty hard here. He was a young 6 point from what I could tell.

12-Nov-20
Best of luck Sam! Git r dunn!

12-Nov-20
Saw two more bucks tonight. A little spike was behind and at 5:20 the biggest deer I’ve seen all week was at 40 yards. He had really white antlers and they stood out and I could barely see his body. He looked as if he was getting ready to jump the fence so I gave a few grunts. He turned around and took a few steps in my direction. Then he just vanished. He went behind some scrub brush and I was waiting for him to be in range. Wind was perfect. I have no idea what happened. For some reason he had to have turned around and left the way he came. I didn’t get a great look at him but he was way bigger and than anything I have seen this week.

12-Nov-20
If you take the photo, then screenshot it and upload the screenshot, it will come out correctly. Looks like you have a nice hunting area

13-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Set up in the meadow again. Moved my stand about 100 yards to the West. Most of the deer have been on the side of the meadow and the wind is just right. Nothing seen as of 7:40.

13-Nov-20
Thanks for the help with the pictures. Probably can’t see anything but I’ll get better at getting them right.

Also, while I am hunting 100% public ground, I can access the ground from the private. It is an advantage but as was the case yesterday, someone can wander in anytime.

13-Nov-20
First deer of the morning at 8:53. Small spike.

13-Nov-20
Sam, do you know where the doe bedding areas are at? How far are you from feed fields?

13-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Little buck following a doe at 9:09. She was under my tree at 3 yards. Set up is good.

13-Nov-20
Just saw one of the biggest deer of my life. About 100 across the meadow taking a tree. I called to him for at least 5 minutes but he wouldn’t come. Great big 10 at least.

13-Nov-20
He might be circling, hope he comes by!

13-Nov-20
Really nice 130” 8 point came to 50-60 yards. Couldn’t get him any closer. No pics as I had my bow in hand.

Can’t stop thinking of that bruiser I saw.

13-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Little guy came out and responded well to the call. Came to 15 yards behind me. Just need one of the better bucks to respond.

14-Nov-20
Last sit for a while and I’m only going to be out until 10:00 or so. I have not done anything around home all week, so I ha eve stuff to get caught up on. So far nothing, just a bunch of shooting from the duck hunters.

14-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Hot doe came by at 60 yards. Good buck in tow. Couldn’t turn them. Few minutes later a spike was birddogging the trail.

I jumped out of my stand to go sit on the ground. A little spike came in two minutes later. Hoping for another buck to catch the scent.

15-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Back to work tomorrow, so this is it for a while. Wind is W to NW and it’s pretty cold.

There was a buck chasing a doe at around 8:00. I could only catch glimpses of them through the trees.

A lone doe just came from the north. When she crossed my trail she stopped and looked right up at me. She didn’t spook but was definitely uncomfortable. If a buck come down her path, I will have to try and shoot before he gets to my path.

15-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Buck is right in the center
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Buck is right in the center
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Buck. Zoomed in. Not sure if it will work.
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Buck. Zoomed in. Not sure if it will work.
Big buck at 45 yards. He is tending a doe. They are right on the edge of the timber to my north. The are both very calm. Moved out of sight, so not sure if they bedded or walked off. I think he is the big buck I saw the other day. Symmetrical 12, not but a stud for sure.

I don’t know if I should wait or try and stalk. Wind is perfect, but I don’t think I could get to them without getting busted.

15-Nov-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Doe and 3 fawns came from N.

15-Nov-20
Oh dang I’m getting worked up and I’m not even there...sure hope you get em.

15-Nov-20
11:05. Doe and fawn being chased by a spike. She looked tired.

15-Nov-20
I tried to go after the big boy tending the doe. I took off my boots and went in with stocking feet. Once I got to the timber, there we 3 trails. I picked one with fresh tracks and followed for about 50 yards. It got so thick that even if I did see them, I couldn’t shoot more than 5 ft.

I don’t think I buggered it up too much and thought it was worth the risk. One the way back, I paced it at 55 yards.

01-Dec-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
I was able to get out tonight for one last sit. I have been out twice since my vacation and saw good deer each sit. Closest opportunity was a week ago Sunday and had two nice buck on a doe. Nearest buck was about 45 yards out. Even if I was a compound shooter I think he was too far.

I’m sitting about 300 yards south of where I have been hunting. Sat close to hear one night during my week off and saw a good buck enter the field where I am set tonight. 3 trails merge here and then head into the pasture behind me.

Wind is perfect. I am able to enter from the pasture so there is no chance to get my scent. I’m only about 12 feet up but have good cover. It’s very still. If I see anything it will be within 15 yards.

01-Dec-20
Good luck to you

01-Dec-20
Good luck.

01-Dec-20
Nothing yet. Down to my last 30 min.

01-Dec-20
Might be worth eventually trimming the branches on that double trunk tree out front (that is left of the nearest cedar) and the tree nearest to you on your left so in case they "sense" or smell you and try to skirt/go around you off trail via that open portion of meadow beyond that double trunk tree you can slip an arrow in on one (guessing 20-25yds) either on left side or right side of that double trunk tree. As of right now, you would have no shot if they go off trail to the portion of meadow on the other side of that double trunk tree. Good Luck!

01-Dec-20
There are at least two doe in the wheat to my SW. The wheat is on private. They must have been in the timber S of me.

01-Dec-20
Well the deer did the exact opposite of my plan. Nothing came from the trials.

I have never sat this close to the pasture in the evening. I saw about 5 out in the pasture with a few running toward the timber and away from the wheat. A doe also jumped the fence from the wheat and walked North into my scent. She stood about 50 yards away blowing for 3-4 minutes. I thought she went back S but I could be wrong. I heard another deer blowing to my North and in the timber at last light. Maybe 35-40 yards away. If it wasn’t the same doe, the deer wasn’t blowing at me.

Time to figure out my plan to take my daughter out with a rifle. I don’t feel comfortable taking her on this public ground. I have permission to access the public from the private pasture and I don’t think they will have a problem with us hunting it. If I get the OK, I think it will be a good spot for an evening hunt.

02-Dec-20
If I don't forget it, ksjHawk I'll post a picture of a very useable piece of equipment, costs less than a dollar, for hanging a recurve, at just about any place and angle you choose in the tree. Sure made my movements to grab my bow, much quieter and less movement. Remind me tomorrow afternoon if I forget. I'll have to find it. Probably would work with those other pully contraptions to since they are much lighter now days.

03-Dec-20

Chief 's embedded Photo
Works well for when there is no limb in the right spot, to use as a hanger.
Chief 's embedded Photo
Works well for when there is no limb in the right spot, to use as a hanger.

03-Dec-20

Chief 's embedded Photo
Chief 's embedded Photo

03-Dec-20

KSJHawk's embedded Photo
KSJHawk's embedded Photo
Thanks Dale, I like it. I usually have a few $.99 accessory hooks in my pack. When I find a good tree that I will sit more than once, I screw one in and leave it. It’s kind of fun to return each year and find “my” hook.

Another one that looks good is an attachment from Third Hand Archery. I have been meaning to get one of these for a while but I always forget until I should be hunting. Always a next year item.

I’ll be on the ground this weekend with my 9 year old daughter. Just bought her tag and she is getting excited.

03-Dec-20
Sam, I have one like that that I use occasionally. Maybe it’s me, but I have trouble getting it adjusted to where the bow is not leaning forward to where it takes a fair amount of arm movement to reach it and pull it out. It’s ok for a stand you want to keep portable, but I prefer those .99 bow hooks you screw into the tree when it’s a tree you use multiple times.

• Sitka Gear