Gene 18-Dec-20
Chief 419 18-Dec-20
kent 26-Dec-20
Gene 28-Dec-20
kent 03-Jan-21
Gene 09-Jul-21
Chief 419 21-Jul-21
11-Nov-20
Not much action on the LA site. I will be going out Saturday AM with the muzzleloader. I hope that some of you out there are having some luck.

17-Dec-20
Gene - Have you had any luck on public this year?

17-Dec-20
Nothing yet. I had the pleasure of hitching a ride out on Oil Well road in Pearl River WMA on the back of an ATV with a 130 lb hog taken on the muzzleloader opener. Lot's of hog sign there and not much deer sign. I had planned to take a trip to a friend's place in Vermont for rifle for a few days and then hunting some of my old spots in CT. However due to the Covid pandemic, I decided to cancel that trip. How about you? Any trips or interesting hunts to talk about?

18-Dec-20

Chief 419's embedded Photo
Columbia Blacktail
Columbia Blacktail
There are plenty of hogs in Pearl River. I used to hunt it, but never saw a deer. I know there's a few deer in there.

I just got back from a Columbia Blacktail hunt in Oregon. I shot a nice buck, first morning, first hour of the hunt. My buddy and I also did a float trip on the Rogue River and caught a bunch of Steelhead and Cut-throat trout. I've never been done that type of fishing before. Great trip. That's all the hunting that I'm doing this year. My caribou hunt in Greenland was postponed until next year due to Covid.

18-Dec-20

18-Dec-20

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
That's a great Blacktail! I hunted them when I was stationed on the Olympic Peninsula but never did get one. Of course, I saw a few good ones while hunting elk when the deer season was closed. One of my dream hunts would be for Mountain Caribou as they live in awesome country. I did take a Woodland Caribou with my bow in Newfoundland years ago. Not a big one by any means but that was one of my favorite hunts.

18-Dec-20
There's something about Caribou. It's my dream hunt. Even though I've already been to Greenland, the anticipation of my next hunt is hard to contain. Congrats on your Woodland. They're getting harder to hunt every year. Licenses and tags are being restricted more & more every year.

26-Dec-20
Hello Gene-- My trip north canceled as well from the bug. So far have not sat in a stand yet as the deer here close to the house are all does and fawns. The lease I am on is an hour away and so far I have put little time there. Not sure I like it as it is not like up north by a long stretch. I've go permission to hunt a property ---Land fill --At the end of my property and have been still getting just does and little ones. I still have the pleasure to cut up the deer coming of the lease but so far all any one is taken is small does. I guess I've be come the butcher. My next door guy is on a lease less than 2 miles away and they have hogs as well, He is looking into getting me on there ---- So far I am just cutting meat for others which is OK for these old RA bones I have as I do not have to do the drag thing !!!!! Shot straight my friend---Kent

28-Dec-20
Kent, I was wondering about whether or not if you made the trip up. I have only been out a few times myself. I don't have a place to hang and skin a deer, processors here do not skin and want deer delivered quartered. I have been carrying a gambrel and game bags with me figuring on hanging, skinning and hauling in the woods. Hard to get excited about that. No private property or lease available either. I do have 2 properties in Mississippi and if things don't change, I will start next year turkey hunting there.

03-Jan-21
Hello Gene same here on the lease they do not want guts left on the property. They also request that all live weight recorded so we bought a gambrel that plugs into the hitch on our trucks. Have to bag all guts and discard of the lease. So I get the part of lack of excitement as well. Yesterday one of the guy's went out there only to find the water so high he would have to swim to get to the blind. Not a great place for sure. I miss hunting in CT----Never thought I could find much good to say about our old state !!!---Well maybe the family we left behind but other than that ---Oh well !!!---Good luck, still just does still with little ones here at the house but they should start chasing in the next couple weeks

09-Jul-21

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
Thought I'd bring this post back up.

21-Jul-21
Nice 8-point. Looks like a big bodied deer.

• Sitka Gear