Trebarker 19-Dec-20
Trebarker 19-Dec-20
Trebarker 19-Dec-20
Trebarker 19-Dec-20
Trebarker 19-Dec-20
Trebarker 19-Dec-20
Trebarker 19-Dec-20
30-Nov-20
Final two days before the firearms season begins Wednesday morning. I will hunt in the afternoon on both days for sure, maybe in the morning depending on what I see today at sunset.

It is predicted to be 45f this afternoon with a 9 mph wind out of the WNW at 2pm. The wind is supposed to die down to <5 mph by sunset. The wind will be right as the deer approach, but not ideal once they go past me into the ef. I plan to hunt the NW stand again this afternoon, I hope the wind dies down as is predicted. The does that have garnered the bucks attention have come from the West side of the creek the last several evenings late. I saw two scrapes down along the pond I had not seen before when I was setting the camera up on the dead deer, they were new active scrapes and licking branches.

30-Nov-20
Good luck this afternoon. Hope to see you get it done.

30-Nov-20

Trebarker's Link
Trying out Youtube this morning, had not opened an account there yet, seeing if it works better than other video sharing sites I have used before.

30-Nov-20

Toms acting like it's spring time

30-Nov-20
Lol CWD turkey?

30-Nov-20

Trebarker's Link
Nope be_still, infection common in poultry.

30-Nov-20

Slowly getting this figured out. Thanks for the input Sito.

30-Nov-20

Last one for today.

30-Nov-20
Good stuff buddy

30-Nov-20
Randy...thx for sharing. Way better quality to your posts when watching in video form instead of blurry pic. form. Blurry pic’s ain’t your fault.... they are an ongoing Bowsite issue when viewing from a mobile device. Keep posting them videos!

30-Nov-20
Nice videos. Little buck backed down real fast when his bluff was called lol.

30-Nov-20
2:50- Settled into the NW stand finally, is 46f. Intended to be here an hour ago. Left the house a little after 2, then got hung up at the road where I parked by a road scout (no not the corn sack guy) wanting to talk deer hunting. He asked if I was the guy who hunted here two years ago, if so one day back then he was driving by when he saw the biggest buck he had ever seen standing in the slough in front of my black truck. He said he slammed on the brakes because he wanted to look at him, he had never seen such a big rack. I asked him if that was the year he had asked the neighbor to hunt from the cedar grove claiming to have hunted that deer from the West side of the creek? He denied he had asked for permission. I asked him if he was sure that was just two years ago? He said it was, he had moved to his current home that year. He went on to claim he knew my father well, how great of a guy he was, claimed he was a customer of their business when it was open (dad was known by his initials of RV, his business was call RV's "66" Service) how he sure missed talking to RE. He talked about hunting along the Westside of the creek North of the road he was sitting on. He said he had asked for permission on land on that side but was turned down by the owner so he hunted from another property adjacent to it. Told him no he could not hunt this property, that if he knew my dad well he would have known his name was RV, not RE, that I had been driving this blue truck now for 6 years, that I knew he had asked my mother and the neighbor for permission to hunt the place claiming he had followed his deer there wanting to keep after him. He told me good luck today and drove off.

I cannot stand liars.

I changed cards on my cameras on the way in. The dead doe remained untouched, not even a nibble on her.

30-Nov-20
3:40- Walker on the road with the lime green coat has switched to hunter orange today. Had a sneak peak at the pictures on the latest camera set up, the carcass was visited at least twice over night, the crows found it during the day today. Anxious to see the pictures on the PC.

30-Nov-20
I can see the gut pile from Easton's buck right now...hasn't been touched except for the crows. The coyote this morning ran within 20' of it and didn't even slow down?

30-Nov-20
4:38- Four heavy does and three doe fawns came from the NW bedding area, crossed thru the ef and began browsing the main field just past the crossing.

30-Nov-20
4:40- Button buck fawn came from NW beds, went to crossing. Two of the adult does re-entered the ef, one went towards the blind, the second walked stiffed legged towards me. Both sniffed the air doing headbobs to see if anything moved.

30-Nov-20
4:50- Young 8pt came out of NW beds, entered the ef and headed for the crossing. He rubbed nose and pushed the button buck around, I could not record it because the doe had me pinned down

30-Nov-20
5:01- Does, four of them, left the ef being satisfied that something was not after them in the trees, are now out in the main field. Looks like they are headed South tonight. Have until 5:34 tonight.

30-Nov-20
5:06- Doe and two doe fawns came from the NE bedding area, headed SW to join the others. The little 8 went to greet them, 6 of the deer are at the first terrace now headed NE

30-Nov-20
5:10- Doe and doe fawn just went across ef by the NE corner of it. They are headed towards the deer at the terrace

30-Nov-20
5:23- Dark phase opossum feeding on the dead deer, heard chomping and growling

30-Nov-20
5:31- Doe and fawn came from NW beds, crossed thru ef to main field. Looking like strike three for tonight again.

30-Nov-20
5:55- Back at the truck. On my walk out, saw several deer running across the main field headed NE at a full sprint. They went thru the hedge row 3/4 of the way to the road. I looked towards my truck and saw a vehicle driving away slow. Traffic was noticeably higher today, there have been six go by as I put up my hunting clothes and typed this.

30-Nov-20
Is traffic Pre-gun season scouters?

30-Nov-20

Trebarker's embedded Photo
Walker ready for Pumpkin patrol
Walker ready for Pumpkin patrol
Imagine pounding your head on a tree all day? This guy was around me all afternoon drilling away on the trees
Imagine pounding your head on a tree all day? This guy was around me all afternoon drilling away on the trees
Deer coming from NW bedding area
Deer coming from NW bedding area
Congregating by crossing
Congregating by crossing

30-Nov-20

Buck entering ef
Buck entering ef
Doe over by the blind looking for me
Doe over by the blind looking for me
2nd doe over by where I sat looking for me
2nd doe over by where I sat looking for me
Out above the first terrace
Out above the first terrace

30-Nov-20

Full moon was huge tonight
Full moon was huge tonight
Carcass wasn't chewed on, but it was visited
Carcass wasn't chewed on, but it was visited
Good sized cat
Good sized cat
They will be back once the hide is opened
They will be back once the hide is opened

01-Dec-20

Final Day of 1st Stage of Archery only season has arrived. It's 52f, with a 5-10 mph SSE wind, I have been in the NW stand for awhile. I have until 5:34 to release an arrow. The opossum either called in help, or many predators got involved on the carcass since I left at dark last night. Two hawks flew off as I entered the timber. I look forward to seeing what the camera captured. I did change the memory card again before climbing up when I saw this.

01-Dec-20
4:25- Bald Eagle circling the area, think he saw me look up and flew back to the West.

01-Dec-20
Bet you got some pics of that eagle on the carcass

01-Dec-20
Hope so, is my best camera for daytime pictures.

01-Dec-20
4:41- Doe and two fawns at 1st terrace East of me

01-Dec-20
4:55- 4th deer up above the terrace now. One of the few squirrels I've seen down here this year is overhead, healthy looking

01-Dec-20
5:05- Fawn out in front of the NE stand. Apparently they slept in the NE bedding area today

01-Dec-20
5:09- Doe fawn coming out in front of me from NW beds

01-Dec-20
5:15- Young 8pt came from NW beds, I grunted at him, he wanted no part of it heading across the crossing going East towards the does at the terrace

01-Dec-20
5:24- Second buck came out of NW beds, got 45 yds NE of me, turned and ran back to the North

01-Dec-20
5:32- The reason the buck ran was two coyotes came thru and went to the carcass. Never did see the buck good enough to know who he was, but was much larger body wise than a doe.

01-Dec-20
Randy...do you have a doe bleat in lieu of grunt tube? Assume if you are calling to him you would attempt to kill him?

01-Dec-20
Jason, yes, I have one, no I don't use it to call bucks, and no I wouldn't have shot him, am not out to just fill a tag, he needs to age some more.

5:59- Back at the truck, the coy dogs didn't like the sound of my growl, busted out running NW when they heard it. Fun hunt even if I didn't see what I had hoped to see on the last day. Switching gears tomorrow, going road hunter hunting.

01-Dec-20

First deer out.
First deer out.
Squirrel overhead that was leery of me
Squirrel overhead that was leery of me
4th deer joining the group
4th deer joining the group
Fawn out in front of NE stand
Fawn out in front of NE stand

01-Dec-20

Fawn that came out of the NW beds
Fawn that came out of the NW beds
The young 8pt when he came into the ef. I could have taken a 30 yd shot at him when he came out, had no intention of shooting him.
The young 8pt when he came into the ef. I could have taken a 30 yd shot at him when he came out, had no intention of shooting him.
When I first grunted at him, he snapped his head up like a kid caught doing something wrong. I was just playing with him, seeing if he would come back towards me
When I first grunted at him, he snapped his head up like a kid caught doing something wrong. I was just playing with him, seeing if he would come back towards me
All the deer out in the main field just before dusk
All the deer out in the main field just before dusk

01-Dec-20

Dark phase opossum I mentioned last night
Dark phase opossum I mentioned last night
The song dogs were next, the big male was huge!
The song dogs were next, the big male was huge!
Then came the crows
Then came the crows
And two or 3 hawks thru the afternoon. The two coyotes fed on it all night, left and came back 3-4 times thru the day. Am sure the same two returned tonight before I left
And two or 3 hawks thru the afternoon. The two coyotes fed on it all night, left and came back 3-4 times thru the day. Am sure the same two returned tonight before I left
There were 411 pictures of the predators feeding on the carcass.

01-Dec-20

Here was one picture that kind of surprised me, note the time. Something, I'm betting the coyotes, had pushed them out of the NW bedding area, they simply don't move at that time of the day down there
Here was one picture that kind of surprised me, note the time. Something, I'm betting the coyotes, had pushed them out of the NW bedding area, they simply don't move at that time of the day down there

01-Dec-20
Not much goes to waste in nature. Looked like both coyotes were pretty good size.

03-Dec-20

Would like to have seen what had this bobcat in defense mode, likely the coyotes
Would like to have seen what had this bobcat in defense mode, likely the coyotes
Possum brought the family to the buffet
Possum brought the family to the buffet
Couple B&C Coons stopped by
Couple B&C Coons stopped by
More dark colored possums
More dark colored possums
Checked the camera again this afternoon when I saw there were no hunters in the area. 116 pictures in two days, carcass really didn't show a lot of activity on it other than it had been spun around, the head facing the opposite direction now.

There were a dozen deer out on the field when I left, they didn't come out into the main field until after 5pm. The other cameras didn't show any buck activity.

04-Dec-20
Have made it a point to be around my spot at prime deer movement times since Wednesday. Have only heard 2 rifle shots, both some distance away so far. Every evening I have seen numerous deer, tonight was no exception. Had three trucks stop and glass the field tonight, even with my truck setting in plain view. I expect this weekend there will be numerous road hunters. There were 2 small bucks, and 15 does out in the main field tonight.

04-Dec-20
Yeah road warriors are a unique breed, mostly coming out of their holes at night and on the weekends. :/

04-Dec-20
That's a bunch of deer, and they feel comfortable there even with the road noise. I'm betting the sightings go way down by Monday

05-Dec-20
Been here since about the same time you started your hunt Kyle, zero deer movement, two shots heard SW of here, and only three trucks have driven by. Two of those trucks were corn sack hunter, once headed home fast, and just now with his quad loaded on the trailer headed back to where the shots were heard.

05-Dec-20
Great. Hope it wasn't one of the bucks you were after bud

I've got a couple buddies, and one of their son's, hunting our spot up there this morning...but they're actually hunting.

07-Dec-20
First Monday of Firearms Season, it's 60f with a 6-10 mph WNW breeze. I am sitting in my blind after changing memory cards on the cameras. The only flesh left on the doe carcass is on the head. I went ahead and left the camera set up on it, plan on pulling it Thursday as they say we have some weather headed this way this weekend. 50's and 60's forecasted all week until then, been seeing a lot of deer every evening, yep I'm going to be out here.

I don't think much of the pumpkin suit look, although it does match my beard

07-Dec-20

07-Dec-20
Lol

07-Dec-20
4:43- Doe and two doe fawns came from the North thru the middle of the ef. The doe was suspicious of the blind right off. She walked thru the middle of the field, got SE of me, ran back to where they entered the field and blew. The fawns are eating like nothing is wrong, they are headed to the crossing now

07-Dec-20
5:00-.Doe and two fawns came in ef just South of me. Six PT buck came from the NE beds into ef, all headed thru crossing now into main field. Doe sniffed around but didnt alarm..

07-Dec-20
Wow, I always wanted to put a face with your posts. Now I,m not so sure LOL. With or without the orange, LOL. Seriously, I got nothing on you. Good luck, glad to see you getting back after it.

07-Dec-20
5:05 Three bucks came thru the timber NE of me, from the NE beds, crossed into the ef, thru the crossing and out into the main field.

07-Dec-20
5:22- Big bodied buck out by NE stand, doe and fawn came from NW thru the ef.

07-Dec-20
5:41- Back at the truck, had a fawn watching me as I closed up the blind, never blew, just stood there. Figured it would scramble when I went to walk off, again just stood there watching me. Went South from the blind thru the timber to make my escape. When I came out of the South end of the trees by the walnut scrape, I saw five deer standing not 10yds from the front of my truck. All the deer that had gone thru the ef that I saw were scattered about the main field. There were five deer halfway towards the East road, all looking my away, including a VERY wide and tall buck. I tried to get a picture of him, but it was too dark. I moved further out into the field and tried again, grainy pictures. All of the deer took off running to the North, including the doe and two fawns that had come in behind me from the West. They didn't blow, just the sound of them running got my attention. Five more deer ran out of the cedar grove, ran North towards the NE bedding area following the other 12-15? ahead of them. Orange be damned, if the wind is right tomorrow, am going to sit in the NE stand.

07-Dec-20
Randy: you need someone else runnin the camera.

07-Dec-20
I like the sounds of what's going on over there! Good luck in the am bud

07-Dec-20

First three does
First three does
Doe getting SE of me to scent check me
Doe getting SE of me to scent check me
First little buck
First little buck
Second of smaller bucks
Second of smaller bucks
Not going in the morning Kyle, they have been coming in from the NE , and SW thru the timber in the mornings avoiding the main field. I have scouted their movements while watching the place since Wednesday, they are coming back in from known corn feeders, using different routes to get back into the bedding areas.

07-Dec-20

Bigger bodied buck out in front of NE stand
Bigger bodied buck out in front of NE stand
Another buck
Another buck
Too dark to show rack of buck watching me walk out, he was with several does that came thru the hedge row evidently, had not seen them from the blind
Too dark to show rack of buck watching me walk out, he was with several does that came thru the hedge row evidently, had not seen them from the blind
Pretty busy buffet picture
Pretty busy buffet picture
Apologize for the picture quality, very low light pictures are always fuzzy and grainy.

07-Dec-20
WU is predicting light W winds tomorrow afternoon, hopefully that will work for your NE stand? Good luck wherever you have to sit. At least it seems there’s still a shooter around so far.

08-Dec-20
Only Tuesday of firearms season, it's 65f with a light WNW wind. Made a lap around the place looking for hunter vehicles and pumpkins in the woods. Caretaker of the property to the West doing some wood cutting which should influence the deer to move this way. Headed to the NE stand to see if last night's action is repeated.

08-Dec-20
4:25- Two heavy does and a fawn came from the North, walked out into the ef, stared right at me spotting me immediately. They can see the orange contrary to what I have read. They didn't blow, but have ran back into the timber.

08-Dec-20
5:09- Five deer out in main field along North side of cedar grove. Small buck just came from the West, cut across the NW corner of the ef, headed North into the timber

08-Dec-20
Good luck tonight Randy, wed like to see more of that tall wide buck!

08-Dec-20
5:15- Young 8 PT just walked thru crossing, gave a easy 30yd shot opportunity, took a few pictures instead, he continued East bound towards the does by the cedar grove

08-Dec-20
5:47- Back at the truck. That was the fewest number of does seen in a long time, the first three, and the five by the cedar grove, and the one buck was it tonight. The 8pt saw me walking out, ran thru the hedge row headed North. If I hunt any more this week it will be from the blind, it was very obvious the does could see me glowing in the tree. There is no break up pattern to my coat, it is a solid bright orange.

08-Dec-20
Good luck next time.

08-Dec-20

Looks like a young small racked buck yes?
Looks like a young small racked buck yes?
Shot opportunity #2
Shot opportunity #2
Shot opportunity #3, has quite a bit of grey hair on his face to be very young
Shot opportunity #3, has quite a bit of grey hair on his face to be very young

09-Dec-20

Lightly hit with spray paint
Lightly hit with spray paint
Second Wednesday of firearms season. Forecasted to be in the 70's, with little to no wind, 2 mph or less out of the NW. Not out there just yet, going to wait a bit before heading out, they are late in coming out. Did a little break up work on the orange to see if that helps.

09-Dec-20
Lol is it legal to tape some grass and twigs to it?

09-Dec-20
3:50- Have been in the NE stand since about 3:25, was contacted by a neighbor that told me him and his son are near me, saw me walking in. He said the big wide tall buck was chasing does this morning behind their place( most likely pushing them North into the pastures). Gave them the general direction where I was sitting so hopefully they won't sling lead my way. It is very WARM here in the sun.

09-Dec-20
4:55- Two does out on North side of cedar grove

09-Dec-20
High was 59 down here today. Lmao!!! Good luck

09-Dec-20
Was mid 70s here Conner

09-Dec-20
5:11-First two deer went across main field to the West Creek crossing. Three does East of me about 30yds, came from the North

09-Dec-20
5:25- Doe and fawn came from NE, the five are now out in the main field South of me.

09-Dec-20
6:00- Back at the truck. Just before I climbed down, two deer, I assume the ones that crossed earlier, joined the five out in the field coming back from the West. Ran into Pepe again at the same spot as the last couple of times just East of my tree. Had to wait a few minutes for him to decide which way he was going to go. Ended up following behind him past the first terrace, didn't see him after that. Ran into a deer another 20yds East from there, it ran out towards the deer in the middle of the field. I won't add pictures of the does, we have all seen them for the last month+.

10-Dec-20
Second Thursday of Firearms Season, it's 32f with a 4 mph SSW wind. The wind is predicted to slow towards sunrise, then pick up thru the morning from the South. The high temp today is supposed to reach 66f. Sunrise is 7:32 this morning. Let's see if the buck reportedly chasing does yesterday morning by the neighbor is back at it today.

10-Dec-20
7:02- Neighbor just shot once, still trying to get my ass to release my tree stand seat, they are close!

Edited in- Talked to the neighbor after I got down. He told me the buck that his son had shot at was a wide and real tall racked 8pt, 140-150" he estimated. Said the buck jumped at the noise of the shot, but had walked off calmly not seeming to know that he had been the target or that he had been seen by them. He said the buck was last seen walking thru the timber towards the NE bedding area. I told them I had watched and listened closely that direction following the shot, saw and heard nothing moving past me. The buck either bedded in the bedding area, or used the timber between two homes that direction to go back to the North. He did not go further West or South from their last sighting, not that I saw anyhow. We communicated our plans for this afternoon's hunt, told them where I planned on sitting, hopefully the kid will get another chance at the deer. Yes, the buck is one of the ones I have been hoping to get a shot at, but I hope the kid gets him first.

10-Dec-20
7:34- Doe and doe fawn just ran across the field from the cedar grove entered the timber 30yds East of me. Neighbor told me his son had a case of buck fever, missed the shot he had taken, said buck walked off calmly.

10-Dec-20
Hang in there Randy. Those close shots can still startle you even when you know someone is hunting close. Good luck.

10-Dec-20
What's going on over there, no updates...you ok bud?

10-Dec-20

Eaten down to the bone, all four legs gone, spine, ribs, skull, and some of the hide is all that remains from Nov30th to today
Eaten down to the bone, all four legs gone, spine, ribs, skull, and some of the hide is all that remains from Nov30th to today
Hide is pretty much flesh free
Hide is pretty much flesh free
Skull
Skull
Had hoped to find the left rear leg, to show how badly it was broken, what caused her infection but the coyotes either ate or took all four legs with them.
Had hoped to find the left rear leg, to show how badly it was broken, what caused her infection but the coyotes either ate or took all four legs with them.
I'm good, nothing moved after the two does. I am at the house now after changing memory cards, and moving the camera away from the carcass to a new spot East of my NE stand. Put it along a trail the deer use going to and leaving the NE beds.

10-Dec-20

The only recent buck picture shown on the other three cameras. Very few recent pictures, 91 predator camera pictures of opossums, skunk and coyotes feeding, maybe a dozen pictures on the others.
The only recent buck picture shown on the other three cameras. Very few recent pictures, 91 predator camera pictures of opossums, skunk and coyotes feeding, maybe a dozen pictures on the others.
Pepe running a coyote off
Pepe running a coyote off
Big coyote watching a big possum feeding
Big coyote watching a big possum feeding
Some calling may be in order after deer season
Some calling may be in order after deer season

10-Dec-20
3:15- Settled into the NW stand, it was 69f at the truck with no wind. Weather app said the wind is to change to come out of the ENE but remain less than 5mph. I can see up into the NW bedding area from this stand, and I have a shooting lane to the trail from the creek crossing South of me. The predicted wind change prompted me to give this stand a go, have only hunted from it a handful of times so far this season, the fewest of any of my choices.

10-Dec-20
4:40- Has not been easy to stay awake, nothing but one squirrel moving around so far this afternoon. The wind did switch to the East as was forecasted, is in my favor providing the deer don't come from the NW tonight.

10-Dec-20
5:00- Three does came from the North, went thru at to crossing, are headed SE

10-Dec-20
5:18- The tall wide 8pt just chased two does thru the ef, out into the main field, all 3 headed South. Have until 5:34 for him to push them back.

10-Dec-20
5:46- Back at the truck. As I approached it, all five does and the buck ran West along the slough, from right in front of where I parked it this afternoon. Can't help but laugh but at the same time want to pull your hair out at how they rub it in your face when they show that they are much better at the game than you are.

Weather will determine whether I hunt tomorrow or not. Won't be adding pictures tonight, never got the camera out this evening.

11-Dec-20
Final Friday of Rifle Season- It's 41f with 5-10mph North wind. The forecast earlier in the week, up to yesterday, had been predicting rain showers today. That obviously changed overnight. Headed to the NE stand this morning, hoping the deer return from the SE like they have been. The only mature buck seen in recent weeks has been in the timber around the NE bedding area the last two mornings pursuing does that weren't ready for his intentions. If he continues his courting this morning, the wind will be right for my stand, will be downwind of those beds. Sunrise is 7:33, I will be prepared for gunshots after 7am this morning.

11-Dec-20
Good luck with that buck! It’s raining over here in SEK.

11-Dec-20
7:15- Buck just ran across the field from the South, entered the timber by the walnut scrape. Light moisture beginning to fall

11-Dec-20
7:36- Two deer, looks like doe and fawn, in field down by my South stand headed towards walnut scrape area

11-Dec-20
I love watching mature deer and I have nothing against them but I sure hope your arrow sends one to deer heaven soon.

11-Dec-20
Good luck this morning.

11-Dec-20
745- Three does came along tree line from the South, oldest one caught my scent and bolted back to the South, two fawns followed

11-Dec-20
7:51- Buck chasing does down by walnut scrape

11-Dec-20
8:08- Can see the deer chasing going on in the bowl across the creek behind the blind, just had a moderate rain shower go thru, going to stay put for now

11-Dec-20
8:30- Doe and fawn just crossed the field from the cedar grove, went well East of me, but came back West and entered the timber headed to the NE bedding area.

11-Dec-20
9:50- Back at the truck. Saw the chase headed NW after the last sighting, he is after a couple of fawns that aren't ready just yet. That is 3x in 2 days I and or the neighbor gun hunting has seen this.

I got down and made a change that I should have tried before now, but have hesitated doing it, didn't want to alter the routes they have been using regularly. Will try it this afternoon if the rain isn't falling.

11-Dec-20

Oldest doe following her nose my direction, one of three that came from the South
Oldest doe following her nose my direction, one of three that came from the South
Sniffing the air currents just before she looked up and saw me in the tree. The other two were starting thru the crossing
Sniffing the air currents just before she looked up and saw me in the tree. The other two were starting thru the crossing
Doe and fawn up by the cedar grove just before they ran North. They are 35-40yds from my truck
Doe and fawn up by the cedar grove just before they ran North. They are 35-40yds from my truck
Moved the blind to the crossing before leaving, is nestled back in a bunch of pig-weed. Plan to add weeds to roof before I leave tonight, could see it from the road
Moved the blind to the crossing before leaving, is nestled back in a bunch of pig-weed. Plan to add weeds to roof before I leave tonight, could see it from the road

11-Dec-20
Good luck Randy. I had a nice buck run across in front of me on the way to work, don't know what made him run but he was a movin' it. Saw another really nice buck just down the road from work tending to some does in a field. I hope my wife goes this weekend but if she don't maybe I'll take one of the grandkids down to the blind and sit for a few.

11-Dec-20
Thanks, James, Michael, Brian, and Mark.

James, had mist and one decent rain shower while there, stayed in because I could see clear sky to the SW. Michael, my need to do list is growing by the day, it too wishes I would hurry up and seal the deal. Mark, the younger does still trailed by this year's fawns are starting to come into estrous here, some of the older fawns as well. The buck was chasing two very young fawns this morning, believe he was not going to have any luck with them, but you never know. He was chasing a doe and a fawn last night at last light.

11-Dec-20
Saw five bucks this morning. the smallest was pushing a doe.

Foiled by the wind currents again. Probably the only place in Elk County with SW wind at daylight.

11-Dec-20
Appreciate the late rut update, I haven’t been able to make it out much this week. Looking to get out some this weekend though.

11-Dec-20
3:25- Back out, in the blind until after 5:34. It's 42f with the same North wind, is overcast and the air feels wet. I am facing the crossing, looking SW. We shall see how this works out. The deer have always staged in the ef then went thru this area to start their night. There has never been a good tree to put a stand in, this is the first season I have used the blind deer hunting. It has sat on the shelf in the garage for 4yrs? I think, just never really considered using it for anything outside turkey hunting.

11-Dec-20
5:05- Two does and three fawns just walked by thru the crossing, came from the NW beds. Second doe got 30yds out into the main field and blew numerous times.

11-Dec-20
5:50- Back at the truck. Neighbor said they only saw two does headed my way, they never showed up, not in front of the blind anyhow. Heard two rifle shots tonight, one was a mile or so North, the other about the same distance South where the road scout's partner hunts, he too frequently scopes our field.

Going to take a break over the weekend, might hunt evenings, Sunday evening for desperate road hunters for sure.

11-Dec-20
It was still on day before yesterday when I came back to work. Saw 4 mature bucks and several young ones all following does or seeming to he looking for them. One buck was a monstrosity we estimated to be 180"s or bigger. Nothing made sense. It was 70 degrees and no wind.

11-Dec-20
Temp and wind has no bearing on when their ovens are heated up Jason

11-Dec-20
I've always said that, but limited it to morning and evening movement. 2 days before that with similar temps, I watched 4 bucks and 11 does in a ravine all up and milling around at 2 PM.

12-Dec-20
Been a lot of chasing going on here in Chautauqua County. Feels like November!

13-Dec-20
Final day of pumpkin suit season. Plan on going out this afternoon. Temperature is forecasted to be around 40f by 3pm with a 5-10 mph NNW wind, cloud cover that is present now to clear out.

Talked to the neighbor last night and this morning, he told me that he and his son had not seen any buck movement all day yesterday, but saw one this morning that they could not shoot at because it was before legal shooting time. I thanked him for teaching the son to be a ethical/legal hunter. He told me the buck went North into the pastures. I plan on hunting from the blind again this afternoon/evening.

13-Dec-20
How close to the truck did you move the blind? I’m thinking as many times as you’ve had deer close to the truck when you’ve walked out, maybe that should be on your option list of places to sit.??. Good luck this afternoon.

13-Dec-20
Brian, they are there well after dark, always start the evening out down where my stands are. When does start bedding up in the cedar grove, usually it's when they have been bred and or they tire of being hassled by little bucks back in their two typical bedding areas during the day. I have mentioned such in past posts, and in previous seasons. The cedar grove is 30yds from the neighboring house, I'd rather be a bit further away than that and the road.

Have been in the blind since about 3:15. It was 39f when I left the truck, wind also as predicted, with the sun shining brightly in my eyes. Considered dropping the netting because the sun is glaring off it.

13-Dec-20
3:35- Hoot owls sounding the alarm clock, sounds like 4-5 of them close

13-Dec-20
4:25- Unseen deer blew over by the NW stand, it did not smell me, but may have heard my phone ding when I got a text. Ooops, failed to silence that. Phone is silenced now. It's time for them to start moving. Have until 5:35 to launch an arrow this evening.

13-Dec-20
5:02- Doe and fawn out in the main field East of me about 40yds browsing

13-Dec-20
5:18- Three heavy does came from the South thru main field headed NE.

13-Dec-20
5:19- Fourth doe joined them

13-Dec-20
5:25- Shooter buck standing in NW corner of ef watching does in main field. I picked up the bow sure he would walk by to get at the does. Coyotes began howling North of me close, and NE of me not as close. Does took off running SW toward my South stand, buck turned and walked into the timber towards the NW bedding area tail straight up in the air.

13-Dec-20
5:40- Unzipped the backdoor to the blind, stepped out to see two white flags waving bye to me, they had been approaching my area from the NW. As I started walking towards the truck, two does ran from the South corner of the field to the NE, they went thru the hedge row.

5:53- Back at the truck typing this. Deer were acting very strange, had not seen them bed on the South end nor come from that direction in the evening. Was encouraging to see a shooter buck, even when not having a shot. Perhaps one of the does is closer to cycling now, helped bring him in.

13-Dec-20
When I left driving west, as I crossed the creek, several does crossed the road in front of me. Standing in the road ditch watching me drive by was a real nice shooter buck. I know he wasn't the one I had seen earlier, he was a much bigger racked deer. I considered turning around and trying to get a picture of him, but decided to not pressure him and push him away. That explains the odd behavior I mentioned earlier, why the does came from the South and were so skittish.

13-Dec-20
Close! Did you hear any shooting tonight?

13-Dec-20
You have hunted hard. Hope you get a chance at one you want. Been fun to follow.

Second rut is on in some areas. I had two young does being harassed by two nice bucks Sunday afternoon.

13-Dec-20
Heard one shot around the time we were chatting, several miles NW

13-Dec-20
Randy, my suggestion of setting up close to the truck was my feeble attempt at a little humor. It does sound like you may still have a few late does coming in, or a few that did not get bred first go around coming in estrous again. At least bucks are still hopeful. Sounds like you were at least hopeful for a shot tonight. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.

13-Dec-20
Randy, my suggestion of setting up close to the truck was my feeble attempt at a little humor. It does sound like you may still have a few late does coming in, or a few that did not get bred first go around coming in estrous again. At least bucks are still hopeful. Sounds like you were at least hopeful for a shot tonight. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.

13-Dec-20
Very encouraging for you to lay eyes on a couple...getting me excited and sure hope you get on one of them.

13-Dec-20
Brian, add a :) after your humor posts, I would have laughed at it instead of groaned when reading it. Nearly every rifle hunter and anti-hunter that has talked to me about me hunting there has had the same story for 30 plus years now, that they saw the biggest buck they had ever seen in their lives right by my truck when they drove by. Have heard it twice this season already.

Still not enough action to get me out there in the cold mornings be still

13-Dec-20
Sorry Randy. Tried to put a smiley emoji after but it converted to a couple ?? My bad. I have followed you for several years now, and had no intentions to make you groan. My wife does get my sense of humor most of the time, even after 46 years. Again my apologies.

13-Dec-20
No worries Brian

14-Dec-20
Glad to see some shooters are sticking around for you into late season this year! I’ll be out this evening too, but I don’t think there will be anymore mornings for me.

14-Dec-20
Glad to see some shooters are sticking around for you into late season this year! I’ll be out this evening too, but I don’t think there will be anymore mornings for me.

14-Dec-20
Frosty fog would have made it an interesting hunt this morning. The fog is still hanging in there at 10am here and everything is covered in hoar frost with the low getting down to 20f overnight. I plan on hunting this afternoon when the temp is predicted to reach 39f around 2pm with a 4-10mph SE wind. Sunset is at 5:05 so will be able to shoot until 5:35 again. I will either hunt from the NE stand or the blind. The predicted wind would likely booger the NW stand taking my scent close to the NW bedding area. I'm hoping the bucks will be chasing the does out of the bedding areas, I like the idea of using the stand to be able to have a better view all around me, see their movement back in the timber sooner. I hunted more during this firearms season than I ever have for several reasons.

The caretaker of the property along the West side of the creek did not hunt it this year. I did not see anyone hunting the large pasture North of that property, the landowner had cattle in there this year. I did not see the usual 1-4 hunters rifle hunting the two properties North of me along the East side of the creek. The only close rifle hunters, the neighbor and his son, were to my advantage, blocking the deer's migration NE away from me. The only time I sensed any danger, was the morning when the kid fired off a round that I was not anticipating right at legal shooting time. They were close enough I could hear the click of the firing pin striking the cartridge. The barrel of the gun was pointed well North of me, but being down range from their location, the report was very loud. I was not aware that they were hunting that day. Following that shot, we communicated better about our hunting locations/sightings to benefit both of us. I saw the fewest number of road hunters that I've ever seen while watching for them thru the first weekend. Typically there are a bunch on opening morning, thru the first five days of their season, then the last two days you see the desperate to fill tag folks come out cruising the bottom lands looking to shoot anything they can. Was a nice change to not have that hassle this year.

14-Dec-20

Sun beginning to burn off the fog
Sun beginning to burn off the fog
Timber behind my home
Timber behind my home
Looking NE
Looking NE
Fog still lingering some
Fog still lingering some
Frost pictures from my home this morning. Deer would have been much easier to spot once out of the fog.

14-Dec-20
3:43- Have been in the NE stand for about 30 minutes. It was 36f at the truck and there is a 10mph SE wind in my face. Parked on the East side of the property tonight, there were a lot of tracks noticed in the dirt walking in along the hedge row. The wind is cold, not ready for full on winter to hit.

14-Dec-20
4:53- Doe fawn came from the West is in the NW corner of the ef

14-Dec-20
5:00- Fawn went North into timber

14-Dec-20
Man I’m sure pulling for you this evening. Those pics were absolutely beautiful. That 3rd pic down I want you to save...might be asking permission from you one day to blow that up and put on my wall.

14-Dec-20
5:25- Doe came from NE, went out and around the brush pile, in front of the blind, thru the crossing, headed SE to the middle of the main field to eat. Heard leaves crunching below me, sounded like a large animal coming my way, looked down to see a large opossum walking NE..

14-Dec-20
5:54- Back at the truck, the doe stood and watched me walk out. That is the fewest number of deer I have seen in the evening all season long.

17-Dec-20
Dec 17th, 50f high with a light 6mph South wind, will be out this afternoon after them again. Plan on checking the cameras to see what I missed out on when we had a little over an inch of snow on the ground yesterday morning. Will head out around 2pm CST. Can shoot until 5:36 tonight.

17-Dec-20
2:20- It was 55f at the truck with the slight South breeze as predicted.

17-Dec-20
2:50- Had an issue with one of the cameras, appears the digital read out is either froze or is kaput. New batteries didn't correct the issue. The other three cameras didn't need batteries.

Am set up in the blind, wishing I had set it up facing more away from the afternoon sun

17-Dec-20
4:46- Two does came from the West, are along the West side of the ef

17-Dec-20
4:49- Buck just came from the West, went across the NW corner and headed towards the NW bedding area. Didn't get a good look at his rack to see who he was.

Does are headed North too

17-Dec-20
4:52- There are six does in the ef now, more came from the West, some came from the North

17-Dec-20
5:10- First group of does all went NE thru the timber.

17-Dec-20
5:18- Two heavy does and three doe fawns came from the NW, across the ef, cut thru the timber headed SE to the main field. They are avoiding the crossing now.

17-Dec-20
5:30- Two heavy does came from the NE thru the main field, heading SW to the creek crossing on that end

17-Dec-20
5:55- Back at the truck, there was no more deer movement. The main field was empty when I walked out. The deer are obviously headed to easier food sources, are not browsing in the bean field as much now.

18-Dec-20

On the 11th there was an unidentified buck hanging around down by the South stand chasing does that morning
On the 11th there was an unidentified buck hanging around down by the South stand chasing does that morning
Nice sized buck that visited the field four hrs after I had left on this day
Nice sized buck that visited the field four hrs after I had left on this day
Visitor on the 15th
Visitor on the 15th
Evening of the 15th when I didn't hunt
Evening of the 15th when I didn't hunt
Trail cameras had each taken on average 50 pictures since I last checked them. Had quite of few telling pictures from them.

18-Dec-20

He brought a buddy along
He brought a buddy along
All the does headed to the South creek crossing last night that I mentioned tonight on my hunt
All the does headed to the South creek crossing last night that I mentioned tonight on my hunt
Believe this was the buck I saw tonight, this picture at the South end of the field last evening
Believe this was the buck I saw tonight, this picture at the South end of the field last evening
He came by in the morning when I wasn't there. I did see him in the afternoon that day too
He came by in the morning when I wasn't there. I did see him in the afternoon that day too

18-Dec-20

Appears to be doing some chasing after I left on the 14th
Appears to be doing some chasing after I left on the 14th
Another suitor that night
Another suitor that night
Another in the hunt
Another in the hunt
Two of the very nosey "heavy does" I mention often
Two of the very nosey "heavy does" I mention often
Pictures from the South side of the ef

18-Dec-20

The day I saw two shooters in my afternoon hunt, one from the blind, one as I left for home. This is the buck I saw along the road when I left that night
The day I saw two shooters in my afternoon hunt, one from the blind, one as I left for home. This is the buck I saw along the road when I left that night
This buck went by the blind after I had left that day.
This buck went by the blind after I had left that day.
Familiar buck that hadn't been around for awhile, after hours visiting
Familiar buck that hadn't been around for awhile, after hours visiting
Ten yards from the blind
Ten yards from the blind
Pictures from the crossing

18-Dec-20

Headed back to the creek crossing
Headed back to the creek crossing
First picture from a new camera site. He was actively seeking does, coming out of the NE bedding area
First picture from a new camera site. He was actively seeking does, coming out of the NE bedding area
A day I didn't hunt
A day I didn't hunt
Nice looking buck, I stayed home that day, had sat about 30 yards from his location the morning before
Nice looking buck, I stayed home that day, had sat about 30 yards from his location the morning before
Buck at the crossing in first picture, then the other 3 at new camera site

18-Dec-20

Daylight bucks have smaller racks
Daylight bucks have smaller racks
Well not all of them
Well not all of them
Fog frosty morning, still clinging to trees after noon
Fog frosty morning, still clinging to trees after noon
Two hours later the frost was melted. In this picture, you can see the timber neck often mentioned South of the EF. The does cut thru it tonight. At the South tip of it, is the walnut scrape I have also mentioned
Two hours later the frost was melted. In this picture, you can see the timber neck often mentioned South of the EF. The does cut thru it tonight. At the South tip of it, is the walnut scrape I have also mentioned
There was very active pursuing going on between the 12th and the 15th. The cameras showed that. They have also shown me that the does started going to the SW creek crossing at about the same time instead of them heading ESE like they have done most often.

18-Dec-20
I really enjoy these Randy. Due to the time zones, six hours, I wait to read these each morning after I take the dog for a walk. Wife is still sleeping and I have the time to look at all your pictures on the internet. In a non-creepy way. We got a contract extension for gulp, three years if we move down to England. I will come back to hunt though, hopefully next November I’ll get away for a week. Best of luck and keep the pictures coming. These really do place me in the woods. John

18-Dec-20
Think I'm going to pass on hunting today, currently have 30 mph South winds, is suppose to slow down thru the afternoon to a mere 15 mph at sunset, not in my wheelhouse to sit out in that.

18-Dec-20
Don’t blame you. The wind can sure suck the fun out of being out. Supposed to be a lot calmer tomorrow.

18-Dec-20
Nice to see some continued rut activity has kept some of the bigger bucks around for you. The wind has me Christmas shopping with the girls. I’ll be back out tomorrow though.

19-Dec-20
Liking the weather report for this afternoon's hunt, 46f with a 8mph WNW wind. If I do not get a shot this weekend in the afternoons, looks like all day Monday and Tuesday morning will be good times to be out. High winds return Tuesday afternoon.

Travis, is always nice to spend time with the family, but shopping is one of those things that I try to avoid at all costs.

19-Dec-20
3:15- Have been in the NE stand since about 2:50. It was 46f at the truck, it is very still and quiet. Occasionally I feel a bit of breeze out of the West, is a beautiful afternoon for late December. The birds are very active in and around the brush pile below me that is screaming at me to hurry up and finish hunting so I can get busy cutting the firewood out of it before the snow flies. Will be some real good firewood, trees were pushed down over a year ago, is well dried and cured now.

19-Dec-20
4:05- Have been trying to get a picture of a HUGE beautiful woodpecker that is flying around me for the last hour. His black and white feathers and black/red head shine bright in the sun, he is very vocal too. He doesn't stay in one place long enough to get focused on him to get a picture. He is an amazing looking bird.

My peace and solitude didn't last long, someone is doing some pistol target shooting a mile West and North of me. At least I know the deer won't be going that way this evening.

19-Dec-20
4:43- Two doe fawns came from NW bedding area in the ef. The continued gunshots did not appear to phase them

19-Dec-20
Pretty calm here too, mallards on the pond 300 yards north sound like they are right in front of me. And neighbors checking cows a quarter mile south sound like they are in my hip pocket, talking about the OU win.

19-Dec-20
4:45- There are now seven does in the ef, three heavies and four fawns

19-Dec-20
4:45- 5th fawn entered the ef. They are all headed to the trail that cuts thru the timber out to the main field

19-Dec-20
5:00- Five became 6, 7, 12, 14 and several went thru the cover West of me I couldn't see well enough but know they too were does and fawns. Five of them went SW thru the timber, five thru the crossing into the main field, the rest cutting thru the timber South of me.

19-Dec-20
5:05- One doe and two of the fawns are headed SE towards the cedar grove, all the others appear to be headed to the SW creek crossings. Still no horns showing up

19-Dec-20
5:20- Doe and two fawns that went SE heading back to join the rest of the herd that are just North of my South stand. Nobody followed, so they changed their minds. Opossum just North of me again had me thinking a deer was approaching

19-Dec-20
5:31- Buck entered main field East of first terrace, went 50 yds in and stood looking SW and back my way. Scanned the field behind me, when I looked back out his way, he was gone. He ghosted on me.

19-Dec-20
5:55- Back at the truck. The buck was seen flagging me and running North thru the hedge row halfway back to the road. I noticed the scrape that way had been recently freshened when I walked in today. Pictures and video later, will start a new thread to put them on as this one is getting long in the tooth.

• Sitka Gear