sitO 03-Dec-20
crestedbutte 03-Dec-20
Kansan 03-Dec-20
Trebarker 03-Dec-20
writer 03-Dec-20
writer 03-Dec-20
Bodyman 03-Dec-20
02-Dec-20
Adult deer with a serious upper back wound, don't know the source. Died with lots of infection and smell. But no blood trail. Would yotes, crows and buzzards avoid this carcass?

02-Dec-20
Nope

02-Dec-20
I run often. Lots of miles on the highways. Plenty of stinky and foul roadkill. The only thing yotes seem to leave lay is dead yotes.

02-Dec-20
I agree, coyotes won't eat their own for some reason, but something will eat that dead deer I guarantee.

02-Dec-20
Not sure about your Yotes theory. Several years back, two coyotes ran by my stand. I shot the lead one...they ran off in to some thick stuff. I heard what sounded like a fight. When I got down to go find my yote, he was half eaten.

No honor among yotes.

It's a dog eat dog world.

02-Dec-20
2018 season I helped a buddy get his girlfriend her first deer. It was a pretty mature buck, but real thin. We figure it was because he’d rutted hard.

Skinning the buck we saw the membrane on the meat was discolored and the meat had a bad odor when smelled up close.

We stopped when an abscess about the size of your thumb was found.

We put the buck on a small field where I’d done gutless on two does. The next day the does were obliterated. It was two weeks before anything touched the buck’s carcass.

Coyotes could easily smell it was bad, but how did things like bald eagles and hawks know since they have no sense of smell.

Never knew something could be so bad coyotes wouldn’t touch it.

02-Dec-20
Agree with Kicker Point. Few years ago I shot a yote and there was a light dusting of snow on the ground. He was big.

Came back the next morning to grab him and all that was left was his spine and tail. Blood and tracks all over where he died.

Suckers are ruthless!

02-Dec-20
Well that is something, I've shot a lot of coyotes and come back to check on them. Really can't think of one that looked like it had been eaten by anything but birds and bugs?

Have you guys also had that experience? I assume you've killed others?

02-Dec-20
I had trail cam picks of yotes dismembering a fellow coyote and dragging it off, not sure if it was injured or sick or what.

02-Dec-20
Probably depends on how hungry they are.

02-Dec-20
I wonder if it's "family groups"? But Tony's story would most likely negate that theory too.

02-Dec-20
Could it have to do with social pecking order; dominant vs submissive?

03-Dec-20
I have seen where coyotes wouldn't eat cattle that had been treated with meds after they got sick and died.You still have alot of other critters that would probably eat it right along with crows,eagles and hawks

03-Dec-20
The last coyote I killed in my sweet corn patch was eaten by the buzzards and a bald eagle in one day. I went out to check on it later that week, wanted the skull, there was nothing left, I mean not even any fur nor bones to be found. The coyotes had come in and either ate it all or dragged it off.

03-Dec-20
My brother traps and skins coyotes. He tossed dozens of carcasses on a pile in a remote pasture in Ks. The crows and buzzards eat them, but coyotes do not.

03-Dec-20
Asked the question because the carcass has lain for five days now and not one bite taken out of it and we have LOTS of yotes.

03-Dec-20
Asked the question because the carcass has lain for five days now and not one bite taken out of it and we have LOTS of yotes.

03-Dec-20
Asked the question because the carcass has lain for five days now and not one bite taken out of it and we have LOTS of yotes and thousands of crows.

03-Dec-20
Long time ago, I could have sworn I ate yote while slamming it back at an all you can eat Chinese buffet.....might be wrong maybe it was Lab?

03-Dec-20
It was bat obviously

03-Dec-20
You just might be right....I should have known better than to stop in Attica, KS for lunch that day?

03-Dec-20
Bat soup, anyone? ;)

03-Dec-20
Dave the turkey buzzards have all likely headed South, I rarely see many in the cold. The coyotes just haven't found it yet. They will.

03-Dec-20
Five days is a long time. That scent goes downwind a long ways. About had to have been a coyote through that scent stream.

Surprised hawks and eagles haven’t hit it, Dave. Redtails are usually the first to a carcass. trail cams have also shown barred and great-horned owls, which was a big surprise.

03-Dec-20
Five days is a long time. That scent goes downwind a long ways. About had to have been a coyote through that scent stream.

Surprised hawks and eagles haven’t hit it, Dave. Redtails are usually the first to a carcass. trail cams have also shown barred and great-horned owls, which was a big surprise.

03-Dec-20
This time of year they’re probably eating pretty good

• Sitka Gear