coelker 03-Dec-20
Surfbow 04-Dec-20
paul@thefort 04-Dec-20
Grasshopper 04-Dec-20
Ucsdryder 04-Dec-20
Stoneman 04-Dec-20
Longcruise 05-Dec-20
03-Dec-20
This year (and next) will be the year of lion hunting. I'll be calling rather than hound hunting so not having hunted lions before in any manner, I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any areas with lion sign. I think the only way to improve the calling odds is to find fresh sign rather than calling blind.

If you have any suggestions or observations you might be willing to share it would be highly appreciated.

03-Dec-20
Drive the back roads after a fresh snow looking for tracks and go from there. Thats what the houndsmen do.

03-Dec-20
I get out there every year. I usually hike logging roads, find a track then do a set once I get to ravines, creek bottoms or thick areas. You cant use electronic decoys anymore so I use a turkey decoy. Try to get out as much as possible before they reach the quota. Most of the time in my area that happens by late February. If its a dry year I'll go to areas that I know that hold snow from Nov-April. I'll leave driving roads to the houndsmen.

BTW check out anything and everything from Rainshadow. From mountain lion stories to him hunting on youtube.

03-Dec-20
I would focus all my time along the front range if my goal was calling lions. There is a higher concentration of cats on the front range and due to all the spotty development, the hounds men cant run lions like they used to in the past. I would also really look at the areas around the big burns. The lions that lived in those burns were displaced like the deer and elk. I am not sure the fires killed a lot of cats, but bet a bunch were displaced and the surrounding areas might have higher than normal densities. I can think of a handful places along the Poudre River, Red Feathers, etc.

04-Dec-20
The Front Range is loaded with lions. I've tried for a few seasons now to track one down on foot (with my rifle) after a fresh snow, seen a couple but haven't had a shot yet though...

04-Dec-20

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Near Carbondale Co a few years back I was hunting Muledeer in late Sept and crossed paths with a lion. Came back in early January, waded through a foot of snow for a mile to the canyon's edge and set up for calling blind. Used a jack rabbit sounding predator call, ( made it sound like a deer in distress). I was looking the other way for a moment and did not know a lion was approaching from the canyon. I turned and there, 25 yards away, a lion was approaching. I had snow camo on and compound bow in hand. The lion came around a large pine tree but must have seen me move or just sensed something wrong. turned tail and was gone at twenty yards. I came back to that area again with no action. I tried other area hear home, (Lake Granby, and towards Kremmling) but no other sightings and few tracks were seen. Lions can have a home range of over 50 sq miles and some can travel 100 miles in a straight line. There main prey in the winter are deer, so find a concentration of deer and you might find a lion in the area. Blind calling is very nerve racking especially in the evening and then walking out of the set up after dark with only bow in hand. I carried bear spray, a 9 mm side arm and a belt knife. Unlike a coyote that may run in, a lion or a bobcat take their time coming in so one needs to be observant for a longer time. Calling can work. here is the Colorado bear I called in using a similar deer distress call. Big advise, WATCH YOUR BACK!

04-Dec-20

Grasshopper's Link
You should talk to David Neils about locating lions. Lions are his specialty. He trail cams them year round. This time of year they will congregate near wintering herds, and he will give you lots of tips on finding them based on topos and behaviors. PM me and I will give you his number.

Two of Daves web links to check out: https://vimeo.com/wildnaturemedia https://wildnaturemedia.com/

Dave is my neighbor and is a hunter.

04-Dec-20
I’m not a big bucket list guy and don’t have visions of hunting some exotic animals, but a moose and mountain lion are my 2 animals I’d love to hunt. Maybe I’ll poke around on the front range this winter.

04-Dec-20

Stoneman's embedded Photo
Stoneman's embedded Photo
Finding something like this would be a good starting point...

05-Dec-20
Lots of good tips here. I got the lion call from Rainbow along with the CD it seems like several approaches work well with it boiling down to finding sign of recent lion activities, especially fresh tracks. I like the idea of walking closed roads rather than driving but it seems like flexibility is essential.

Iwas aware of the prohibition af electronic calling but it hadn't dawned on me that it woul include my "Wobblin Wabbit". Guess I can wear a bunny hat and shake my head. LOL

• Sitka Gear