rickthom36 16-Dec-20
Cracken74 16-Dec-20
sitO 16-Dec-20
TwoDogs@work 16-Dec-20
writer 16-Dec-20
Thornton 16-Dec-20
rickthom36 17-Dec-20
16-Dec-20
I have always hunted the 1st 2 wks of Nov. This year was slow. I thought I was going to make it back out around Thanksgiving but I got the Rona. Now, I have some time off next week and can get in the stand Sat, Sun and Mon. I have never hunted this late. Will it be worth while? I see temps wont be very cold. Should I focus on food? Like cut crops? Water? Basically I can hunt alfalfa, cut corn, cut milo, old wheat, new wheat, cedar thickets, creeks, etc. Not sure where to focus. I have stands on trails headed to and from these food sources.

16-Dec-20
Food ,soybeans if cold or wheat if warms up

16-Dec-20
Of course it's worth it! I agree with beans, but don't see that listed in your post. I'd concentrate on the alfalfa and corn fields. They're going to be real jumpy so get in quiet and move REAL slow!

16-Dec-20
Alfalfa is good this time of year, sito? That's good news.

16-Dec-20
they will be putting on the food bag for sure, hunt the food sources. some quick scouting might reveal which one they are using.

16-Dec-20
Ive got a few cut bean fields around. They were cut back in Nov and not much on the ground whatsoever and those are mainly WIHA....but I have a cpl places next to cut bean fields.

16-Dec-20
Spend an evening scouting the fields you have access to, they are back on food pattern. Pay attention to where deer are entering the field and have a plan for different wind direction. I find that evenings this time of year are far more productive, if you get a clear cold day deer will be on fields early. Make sure you pick a stand with good background, if you find a good field there will be lots of eyes on you. Deer will be super jumpy but personally feel this can be best time to kill a mature deer that has to eat after being run down from rifle season and rut.

16-Dec-20
Im only going to have Sat, Sun and Mon to give em hell! I don't want to waste one of 3 evenings scouting. I can scout from a stand!!! It doesn't look like it will be cold on those days. Looks like hi's of 50, 58 and 62 with lows being around 28-32ish.

16-Dec-20
Good luck to you Ricky, you'll be out in the woods, not at work, not wasting your time in front of a tv, a win win situation regardless if you don't see much movement, get a shot or not

16-Dec-20
Don’t think I’ve ever seen “scouting” and “waste” in the same sentence.

16-Dec-20
Don’t think I’ve ever seen “scouting” and “waste” in the same sentence.

16-Dec-20
My best bucks have all been killed through glassing/scouting. Every. Single. One.

I burn a lot of morning hunts to hit the roads... this time of year I wouldn’t hesitate to burn an evening hunt or 5. You’ll likely get one chance this time of year... too many eyes, ears, noses on a late season food source to get by with multiple sits.

16-Dec-20
You guys are gold and I appreciate any and all advice!

16-Dec-20
I may gamble and see if the temps are cooler the last few days of the season since I can take those days off if I want...Plus I could spend more time in the woods...maybe have a day or 2 to scout!

16-Dec-20
If its warm hunt salad bar(alfalfa). If its cold hunt protein (grains). Don't over look the milo field!!!

16-Dec-20
I agree Thane, whatever food source... I'd pick the most secluded field, and the one that had the least recent(rifle) pressure.

16-Dec-20

TwoDogs@work's Link
I would not worry about the temperatures very much. The added days to hunt would definitely make the last days of the season the best days for you. I will add that I took a good buck on December 24th several years ago. He actually came too rattling. I don't rattle that late now, but maybe I should.

16-Dec-20
What part of the state are you hunting?

16-Dec-20
Late is great. Deer everywhere tonight on crops, and they were relaxed. I'm actually looking forward to the next week, more so than the rut when they're unpredictable. I shot an old 12 point last year a few days before Christmas. I've had good luck on grain fields late season after a snow when everything is thawing

17-Dec-20
Im hunting North Central

• Sitka Gear