Thornton 27-Dec-20
Thornton 27-Dec-20
be still 27-Dec-20
Endless 28-Dec-20
be still 28-Dec-20
KSDropTine 28-Dec-20
Sand man 28-Dec-20
24-Dec-20
What is a good inside spread for a buck here in Kansas? I know it varies to each individual but just curious. Thanks

25-Dec-20
23 1/8 "

25-Dec-20
Personality I've seen some very nice deer with 16-18" inside. Once you start getting past 19-21" they start looking pretty darn wide to me, especially if they are walking away. Short tined bucks can be wide without being impressive, long tined bucks can be huge with a narrow inside. Personal preference.

25-Dec-20
Like Cat says, spread isn't everything. I have a couple of bucks on my property that are about 16" wide, but extremely tall. Would take either of them in a heartbeat.

25-Dec-20

KSDropTine's embedded Photo
KSDropTine's embedded Photo
Thanks guys, just asking as I’m always going to be a meat hunter but was granted this Christmas Eve buck and I couldn’t be more happy!

25-Dec-20
Looks like a nice buck to me. I would have dropped the string on him.

25-Dec-20
Yep, great buck!

25-Dec-20
Bigger than any I’ve ever arrowed, congrats

25-Dec-20
Nice deer. I would have shot it without a seconds thought. Width really makes a deer look big. If you would take 3 inches off the width of that deer it wouldn't look near as big. BUT, it wouldn't change him much as far as score goes. I shot a deer my senior year of HS. Official net score was 158 and change typical . He is only 14&5/8 wide

25-Dec-20
KS Droptine....is yours about 18”-20” inside spead?

25-Dec-20
Great buck! I’ve shot 2 bucks over 150”. The taller one actually nets higher (estimating by my conservative rough score of the wider. If both deer where standing at 20yards, I’d shoot the wider of the two EVERY TIME! A lot of guys never have seen, yet alone shot a deer with a spread greater than 21” inside. I defiantly agree with Catscratch! You start getting above “average width”, they start looking much bigger!!

25-Dec-20
What County did you shoot this one?

25-Dec-20
Yes it’s 20” wide and WB county.

25-Dec-20
Great buck, congrats!

25-Dec-20
Be careful droptine... shooting a big buck like that has ruined many meat hunters! Next thing you know that buck tag will be in your back pocket waiting for antlers while the doe tags are getting smeared with blood. :)

25-Dec-20
Very nice deer Tyson...when I was a kid growing up in Texas spread was everything. Still got a friend that pretty much describes them by their width. Now I prefer mass and height. I have 4 years worth of pics of a deer up here now that’s about 11 inches wide...hope he makes till next year cause I might be trying to take him.

25-Dec-20
We hunted a buck this with an inside spread of 12-14”...had so much mass, though.

25-Dec-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
I shot this one back in 06' when I was guiding. Missed him on WIHA early in the season and shot him a week later a mile and a half away on my lease. Only 7.5" wide inside spread and one beam grew into the other during velvet, causing the right tip to bend. Bases were heavy and his G2s were 12". I think he was 135"

26-Dec-20
20" inside is way above average for Kansas bucks. I've taken a lot of good bucks and have exactly one over 20". It's 20 5/8" I have a 179 4/8" net typical that is under 16" inside. The widest I can remember ever handling was just under 24" inside. It was a 9pt road kill from the early 80's that I still have. That one is a 140's buck.

26-Dec-20
Thanks for the replies, like I said I have hunted for years but have never been interested in scores or anything just feeling the freezer. I know there is a lot more to scoring a deer then width but that is the only thing that stood out to me about the buck I shot that’s why I specifically asked. As he isn’t real tall or heavy. Thanks again

26-Dec-20
I shot a buck back in 2000 that had a 25 2/8” inside spread... ate some tag soup as I chased him for 3 years. That chase is still the top 3 best hunts of my life. Agree width makes them look way bigger.... he grossed just at 170”, but standing at 1/2 mile through binoculars you would have sworn he was a state record.

I’ve known of a couple that went 22”-24” inside. Anything over 18” is impressive in my book. I know of a buck that went around 187” that was maybe 15” wide... still impressive, maybe more so. One was shot in this area last year that had an 11” spread that was pushing 160”! I just love the character/personalities of all of them.

With all that said, I’ve always been an antler hunter who absolutely loves deer meat. Wife loves to cook with it and my whole family, kids included, love it.

Great buck, congrats!

27-Dec-20

CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
Heck of a buck for sure!

I took this guy back in 2007, 24 3/8" inside spread, by far the widest I've ever seen while hunting in Kansas and I doubt I ever shoot one wider.

27-Dec-20

Sand man's embedded Photo
Sand man's embedded Photo
Mine from November, little over 21” inside.

27-Dec-20

Most all of my decent bucks (140"-164") are about 18" wide. Here's that weird one that was only 7.5" wide

27-Dec-20

27-Dec-20
Oh dang...I like that one Thorton.

28-Dec-20

Endless's embedded Photo
Endless's embedded Photo
First time the wife ever went hunting, made it a New Years resolution to go bow hunting and she wanted to be apart of my hobbies. So we picked up bows January 2017 and she tagged him Nov 2017. One heck of a story and she’s been hooked since. Never chased for the antlers but we both found peace in a stand and that’s where we love to be. And made one hell of a memory doing it. We haven’t missed a season yet. If I remember right it was a 21in gap. And we’ve been fortunate to see a couple more that wide. Still couldn’t have been more proud even if it was a spike.

28-Dec-20
Wow Mike that’s an incredible buck....especially for her first season. Really nice.

28-Dec-20
Dang Mike she laid the smack down on a very nice one!!

28-Dec-20
Awesome deer !!!

• Sitka Gear