Rut Nut 14-Jan-21
bill v 14-Jan-21
DougL 27-Jan-21
DougL 27-Jan-21
DougL 27-Jan-21
Bob McArthur 27-Jan-21
DougL 27-Jan-21
26-Dec-20
Anybody else getting out after them in the late season?

26-Dec-20

huntinelk's embedded Photo

26-Dec-20
Hoping to get out next week, congratulations nice doe!

26-Dec-20
Shot a big doe this morning

27-Dec-20

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo

29-Dec-20
My son in law and I are taking turns pushing out my woodlot each evening. Five does Monday, seven today, all swung too wide for our recurves.

After 30 years of doing this you would think I'd have it figured out. Yeah, you would think.

30-Dec-20
The deer did:)

30-Dec-20
The same 7 were headed for me this evening but got directly downwind. They ran and ran and ran..........

31-Dec-20
Back in the day when the late season came in we would get 5 or 6 bowhunters and smokepoles together. Put on casual drives and had a blast, almost always got a deer. But it was surprising how they figured us out and wouldn't cooperate. And remembered that into the following year. Miss those days, a fire in the garage and pizza at the end of day. Every thing is no permission private property now days.

31-Dec-20
A fire in the garage?

Yeah, that would be memorable!

31-Dec-20
Took me a few seconds there. I sure hope he had a wood stove. LOL.

31-Dec-20
Yes Red. I taught Hawkeye how to build a fire outside of a structure at The Great Pa Squirrel Hunt. Dont know how much he actually saw though....

31-Dec-20
LOL Dale, Was there ever a fire...don't remember seeing one;( Have a real wood burner now. Back then it was double 55 gallon barrel kit and burn a wheel borrow load of wood every three hours. Now that lasts a day:) Happy New Years guys!

04-Jan-21
Good job guys!

I been hunting off the ground in the late season..............................amazing how much harder depth perception is as compared to up in the tree. (especially at last light) Took a shot before they walked over the bank and out of sight in fading light.............................usually let them get closer, but it was one of those now or never things......................unfortunately they were standing behind the wrong tree.........................thought it was 25 but was closer to 35y and shot right under the big doe. Will be looking for redemption on Saturday! ;-)

07-Jan-21

We are out of deer tags, but still keeping the late season action going with some trapping.

07-Jan-21
Nice 'catch' congratulations

08-Jan-21
Wow! That’s a NICE cat, Gene- CONGRATS!

09-Jan-21
Son in law and I pushed out the woodlot again today. All I saw were tails headed for the Dollar Store!

I cringed and waited for screeching tires which never came. Whew! I hate when that happens.

One time I accidentally bumped a small herd at the same place. They ran out right in front of my wife on her way to work. Another near death experience I survived!

12-Jan-21
Nice cat Huntinelk, congrats!

12-Jan-21
My nephew got a doe in Pittsburg Saturday morning. I gave a free haircut to a big doe. Not sure if she ducked or if it was me not settling in. Combination of the two? My brother and brother-in-law were pushing for us and another guy from my camp.

12-Jan-21

Yodameister's embedded Photo
My nephew scored on the second drive of the day.
Yodameister's embedded Photo
My nephew scored on the second drive of the day.

13-Jan-21
Way to go YODERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a family of KILLERS! ;-)

THe "5C Boys" had an epic day down in the Lehigh Valley on Saturday. We put on a bunch of drives on some new small woodlots down there. And there was NO shortage of deer! ;-)

When I get a chance later I will post a short recap with some pics.............................

13-Jan-21

14-Jan-21
Red- we had some similar occurrences Saturday! One big old doe made it across a 4 lane intersection without getting hit. And on our second drive a “power walker” almost got trampled by 10 stampeding deer! ;-)

14-Jan-21
Well, we put on 6 drives of small wood lots in the Lehigh Valley on Saturday and pushed deer on every drive. And not just 1 or 2...............more like 10-12. Unfortunately, we got messed up on the first drive by 2 dog walkers walking 2 very BIG dogs at precisely the WRONG time- the deer saw them and changed direction. Next drive we had the GAUNTLET OF DEATH set up with 4 of us and had them 50y in front of us when a “power walker” spooked them and they all went back the way they came, crossing in front of him and almost running him over. Again- just VERY bad timing..................but it’s what you sometimes have to deal with when hunting these suburban woodlots.

The next drive we just didn’t have quite enough standers to cover the woodlot- had another 10 deer sneak thru between Darryl and me just out of range......,,,,,,,if we had just ONE MORE guy! (Andy ;-)

14-Jan-21
The next couple drives I think it was just a matter of new spots we had not hunted before and just did not know the escape routes and tendencies of the deer there. We pushed some deer going in to set up on one spot and were set up on the wrong escape routes on another. At one point I had 11 deer coming thru a “hole” in the brush about 15y in front of me. It was real thick and before I could settle the pin they would spot me and trot off only offering me a broadside shot for a few steps before they were into more brush. I kept “bouncing” from one deer to they next as they stepped out of that hole one by one, but never felt good about the shot, so had to let them walk. Some of them circled around us but we’re on high alert by then and just never gave us a good clear shot. But that’s the challenge of hunting pushed deer from the ground- SO CLOSE..............but yet so far!

14-Jan-21
We always end the day by sitting the last 90 min or so. We use our climbers to “saturate” a small woodlot where the deer usually cross the road from private property. It is a good spot where we have killed deer the last 3 years. And this year was no exception. I lost count, but we must have had over 30 deer in that woodlot all around us. It wasn’t long before I saw Darryl shoot and could see his arrow sticking in the ground with a bright luminock lit up! Little bit later I saw him shoot again and then got a text from Chris that he got one too! Just after that I was watching a doe on a trail that would eventually give me a 20y shot. I was so focused on that one I don’t notice the 3 deer coming in behind me ...........by the time I spotted them they were right under me- I turned slightly in my stand but the lead doe spotted me and circled back around and stopped at 25y quartering away- I drew but unfortunately there were tree limbs across it’s vitals. Those 3 deer trotted off the way they came and alerted the other deer to my presence, and it vacated before offering a shot. Then right at dark- (just AFTER) I had taken my release off and put my arrow back in the quiver, I had 8 deer come in right under me- might have been able to see enough for a shot since they were so close- but hard to shoot ‘em with no arrow on the string! ;-)

14-Jan-21

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I did manage to find my first shed, so did not go home empty handed! : ) Chris’s deer actually ran right over it after he shot it- if you look closely you can see blood drops.

14-Jan-21

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
When I showed Darryl he said he thought he found the matching shed the week before. When we got back to his house we confirmed it.

14-Jan-21

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Well, with a little luck and better timing we could have shot quite a few more than 3, but 3 deer out of 4 hunters(Dan was designated driver) ain’t too bad! ;-)

We had action all day and had a blast trying to intercept those deer!

14-Jan-21

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Here is the customary group shot at the park-n-ride:

14-Jan-21

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
Shoot em when you can

27-Jan-21

DougL's embedded Photo
DougL's embedded Photo

27-Jan-21

DougL's embedded Photo
DougL's embedded Photo

27-Jan-21

DougL's embedded Photo
DougL's embedded Photo

27-Jan-21
Doug, looks like Jordan had another great season.

27-Jan-21
He did Bob and I also had a good one as a result.He killed a beautiful nine point and a few doe in the early season,a few doe with a rifle and then ended the late season pretty strong.I'm getting soft in my old age and just like to sit back and listen to his adventures.It's gratifying knowing that he just wants to go out and hunt whenever he get's a chance.I bought him a GSP three years ago and watching the dog work and watching them hunt together as a team takes it all to a new level.During these bizarre times,I really need to take stock in those simple things in life that really matter.It's been a good run.I have no clue what I'm gonna do when he's gone in a few years.

• Sitka Gear