pav 30-Nov-21
INbowdude 01-Dec-21
Zim 01-Dec-21
Turpie 03-Dec-21
sticksender 06-Dec-21
Turpie 06-Dec-21
patience2spare 01-Feb-22
27-Dec-20
Alright my fellow Hoosier Hunters, time to start the annual, "Whatcha Gonna Hunt Outta State" thread. I'm headed to Oklahoma in March and June for hogs, hopefully, Ontario of turkeys in May (shotgun) and mule deer in Wyoming either bow or gun depending on if I require shoulder surgery. Of course, the usual deer and turkey here at home but what about out of state trips? So who's going where?

28-Dec-20
For the most part, another "luck of the draw" year out west. Will apply for all the usual long odds Western draw tags. Looking at decent odds for Montana elk in the Breaks. Wyoming antelope should be a slam dunk backup plan if necessary.

Given early Indiana firearms openers the next two years, current plans are mid-November trips to Iowa and Kansas respectively. That said, I'm seriously considering buying a small farm in Ohio, Kentucky or Illinois. Only considering a few select counties in Illinois due to insane property tax rates in the majority of that state. Need to find the "right" property and pray the economy doesn't tank between now and then. If the stars align on a property, that would void the Iowa / Kansas plans.

Feels like I just said a whole lot about nothing regarding concrete 2021 hunt plans! LOL!

30-Dec-20
Probably just Indiana for me this year unless I decide to try public land in Kentucky or Missouri for deer or turkey.

30-Dec-20
Illinois for turkey & deer. Wisconsin for turkey. And luck of the western draws for big game. Best odds will be in New Mexico or Wyoming for elk (50%).

01-Jan-21
Zim, are you hunting public or private land for turkey in IL & WI?

06-Jan-21
2021 Hunt #1 complete....Sonora Coues Deer. A fun hunt down there last week as always.

Looks like this may be another tough year in which to plan hunts, esp if looking at anything in Canada or overseas. Had been scheduled to hunt sheep in July in the NWT with Gana River, and that got bumped a year to 2022. Last year's Greenland Caribou hunt got bumped to Sept 2021, so looking forward to that (hopefully) happening. Otherwise will be hoping to draw a couple tags in western states.

06-Jan-21
Beautiful Coues Greg! Great shot placement too! Booner?

06-Jan-21
Thanks Paul. Not a booner, but was real pleased with him!

06-Jan-21
Dang, can't see the Coues pic.

08-Jan-21
Great Coues!! Congratulations!!

09-Jan-21
Hmmmm Can only see the left side of the photo.

09-Jan-21

sticksender's embedded Photo
sticksender's embedded Photo
Here you go.

10-Jan-21
Greg! Nice shot and an awesome Coues. Hell, that's bigger than most of the whitetails I shoot!

12-Jan-21
INbowdude, All public land. I normally do WI zone 2 and hunt Avon Bottoms, but the turkey population there got wiped out by something last year, so drew a zone 1 this spring. Will probably do Yellowstone SP. Illinois I got shut out on the first draw, waiting on 2nd draw results now. IN I'll do Kingsbury and JP. I know the birds in all these places.

15-Jan-21
Time to apply for Wyoming mulies.

20-Jan-21
Well, I'm in for AZ elk again. Not as many points as when I drew in 2012, but figured why not try! Also plan to put in for NM archery elk second season. Have been fortunate to draw that tag twice. Hopefully get one of the two. Then just the usual hunts here at home: Turkey, archery deer and waterfowl. Almost giddy with the idea of archery elk again! Pete

24-Jan-21
great deer for sure. well done.

Not sure which of these will happen this year's but they are booked

June New Brunswick Bear

September Colorado Elk

October BC Moose

27-Jan-21
Big game application season began for me today. We finally picked our type 9 Wyoming elk unit. Should have a legit chance with our points. Next is New Mexico & Arizona. Can't be any worse than last year in Oregon, followed by Covid dumpster fire. My lost season. Nowhere to go but up.

Did just draw my Illinois turkey property!

31-Jan-21

Turpie's embedded Photo
Tisepe rabbit hunt
Turpie's embedded Photo
Tisepe rabbit hunt

02-Feb-21
Since Idaho Archery Elk was a success in 2020 I am headed back in 2021 Purchased my OTC tag on December 1st at like 12:01 PM. Elk hunting is getting crazier every year. Applying in NM for the 1st time. And I might try to go Montana Mule Deer again. Had a blast taking my Dad last year for the 1st time.

03-Feb-21
Right now I'm thinking about turkeys in Kansas, Kentucky, and possibly Nebraska. Also, I put in for antelope and mule deer in Wyoming. I should draw the mule deer tag, but you never know.

07-Feb-21
New Mexico elk & oryx, Maine moose, Illinois special deer (3) all submitted in the last month. Drew turkey tags in Indiana (1), Illinois (1) & Wisconsin (2). No other deadlines this month. Shut out in AZ again despite 24 pronghorn & 5 elk points. May downgrade over to 6B next year just to hunt there again while wheels still functioning.

20-Mar-21
Well, no dice for AZ. It was a long shot. Hopefully my luck will change for New Mexico...

21-Mar-21
No luck for me either in AZ. Yeah NM should be next, in late April I think.

Not holding much hope that any of my western applications will pan out this year, because they're mostly long-shot type draws. So with the uncertainty right now, of being able to travel out of country, I booked a couple of more domestic hunts for this fall.....AK grizzly, and Oregon blacktail. Life is short....gotta get 'em while you can ;-)

22-Mar-21
No love from AZ here either...although when I opened my application history, it said I would be hunting AZ in 2021. Took a minute to figure out the status of pronghorn said "Drawn"...even though I only bought a bonus point for that species. Been an interesting AZ draw in 2021 to say the least.

22-Mar-21

INbowdude's embedded Photo
Ran down to Shiloh Ranch in Oklahoma for a quick hog hunt with one of my best friends. The shoulder still giving me problems so I used the crossbow. 9-yard shot, the hog only spun and dropped.

If you look close, you can see an older broadhead wound. This went below the brisket. Hog was big-bodied but thin. Had a nasty infection in his neck and lost some meat there. Still came away with 27 pounds of boneless meat. Next week I'll make it into hot breakfast sausage.

22-Mar-21
Sounds like a good way to beat the winter boredom. Enjoy the sausage!

28-Mar-21
Bowfishing Saginaw Bay

30-Mar-21
Biggest problem for me this year is my step-daughter's July 25th wedding in China. Current int'l policy calls for 14 days hotel quarantine in Bejing. That alone would cost me 14 PTO days ($3,600) + hotel cost ($600) + 20x typical airline ticket cost ($3,000 one way) + NYC hotel & rental car ($500?) = $7,700 JUST TO GET THERE. Pre-pandemic it was $270. Then on top of that would be the PTO days I'd have to burn for my time there, and my travel expenses to return to the US. I have no idea of that, but in the end I expect $15k total and maybe 5 days of PTO remaining for my hunts??? What a disaster this virus crap is.

And I've already had the virus, so likely zero risk to others!

05-Apr-21

Turpie's embedded Photo
Turpie's embedded Photo

05-Apr-21
That's a monster!

06-Apr-21
37.8# starting the bar high for the IBA this year

19-Apr-21

KDC's embedded Photo
KDC's embedded Photo
KDC's embedded Photo
KDC's embedded Photo
We had a short, but successful trip to Kansas.

20-Apr-21
Wow, you did good, congratulations!

21-Apr-21
New Mexico has posted. We got shut out. Unsuccessful for my favorite low-tier archery elk unit for the tenth consecutive year, despite 12% - 50% odds each year over that time. Go figure.

NM applications numbers are through the roof. Yet we are losing hunters, and must increase recruitment by legalizing crossguns. Ya right. LOL

21-Apr-21
Congrats Kevin, Bummer Ken.

21-Apr-21

NOT a bowkill but I did get a snow turkey at 8:30 this morning.

22-Apr-21
Congrats! I wondered who'd get out and brave that stuff!

23-Apr-21
nice bird in tough conditions

23-Apr-21
Congrats on the turkeys, Mike & Kevin! Wednesday morning was beautiful... though I was watching out the window of my classroom. Mike - Did your bird strut and gobble or come in silent?

No love for me this year from NM either. I can't really be disappointed though since I drew both of my first 2 times applying for elk tags in NM. Pete

23-Apr-21
Pete, I heard a pair of toms on the property north of me at sunrise. Heard them again at 8 and called them in. Toms gobbled strong, I yelped just enough to keep them interested. My bird was not strutting but he was walking in aggressively to kick my jake decoys butt.

27-Apr-21
Finally drew a bow permit at Horseshoe Lake today. First choice Nov. 12-18. Didn’t see that coming.

30-Apr-21

patience2spare's embedded Photo
7:30 this past Saturday - shortest turkey season for Dad since I talked him into hunting turkeys with me about 12yrs ago. 22lbs, 1 3/8 & 1 1/4 spurs, kinda thin 11inch beard. Dad's best bird yet! Was a lot of fun calling for Dad again! Pete

30-Apr-21

Pretty good hooks! Despite being an older bird, this tom was very cautious about the jake decoy.

30-Apr-21
Good one!

03-May-21
Filled IN bird tag on 2nd morning of my 3 day state land hunt. Saw this cheap yet realistic jake decoy just bought at our new Rural King. Roosted the Tom Thursday evening in a very visible place for car traffic to see. But nobody was parked in that lot all season so figured He was I pressured. This guy lit up Friday morning with gobbles 100 yards behind me. I called to let him know where I was. At fly down he was on my decoy within 30 seconds, charging in full bore. Easy ten yard shot.

Headed to Wisconsin public Thursday with two season 1C tags. The birds there are not so aggressive. More pressure there.

Nevada deadline tomorrow 5/4.

07-May-21

I had an awesome hunt Sunday morning! 23lb bird, 1 1/8 spurs, 10inch beard. Absolutely LOVE calling turkeys! Hoping to call in one more for my wife in the morning.

07-May-21

07-May-21
Nice one Pete! Congrats!

11-May-21
Congrats on the turkeys guys!

Strange year on the farm...confident the weather played a big role. One of my grandsons decided to try turkey hunting. Birds weren't cooperating much, but he was a trooper. Season ended with only two close encounters. One bird hung up at 40+ yards...too far for his 20ga. The other came within range and put on a show, but would not commit to the decoy. He wasn't sure when to move the gun and the bird eventually walked away. Afterwards, said he didn't get the shakes, but his heart was beating really fast....LOL! Hoping he's hooked now...already mentioned going deer hunting this fall.

21-May-21

Turpie's embedded Photo
Turpie's embedded Photo
Another good one from last night, the spawn is starting to heat up

21-May-21
Another good one from last night, the spawn is starting to heat up

22-May-21
The carp slayer strikes again.....nice one!

22-May-21
Get those carps!

28-May-21
Anybody draw anything out West? I failed with a couple 50%ers and tons of points. Didn't matter it seemed a ton of guys applied this year that stayed home last year, all states. But I got some job uncertainty going on so it may be for the better for me not to go this year.

28-May-21
No luck for me, but most were long-shots. Still have a few Hail Mary draws to go, and a bunch of raffles.

28-May-21
Waiting on Wyoming. Should know by June 17th.

30-May-21
No luck here either. One extremely long shot remaining. Had points to draw CO mule deer and WY antelope, but those hunts just were not on my radar this year. Still trying to decide on Iowa. Lost access to alot of ground I used to hunt out there.

30-May-21
Draws are almost over and nothing for me this year. But, just learned my HQ will be flying us out to Denver mid-September for 3 days software training. So I'll take advantage by staying out afterwards and go scouting for next year, when I want to cash my 25 elk points and 15 deer points. Got a son moving there for a new IT job in Fort Collins as well. So I'll get some visits in to them during those 2022 hunts.

Paul, Got lucky on a couple IL special state archery hunts this year so had the luxury of doing point only for Iowa. That will be my 4th Iowa point so should be golden if I want to hunt it 2022.

08-Jun-21
Porkapalooza starts Thursday, June 10th. Waiting on Wyoming deer and antelope draw on the 17th. Should draw the deer, antelope is a crapshoot for the area I put in.

17-Jun-21
Just received my results for Wyoming. Looks like I will be hunting mule deer in Region C. Unfortunately, it will not be with a bow. I finally agreed to go on an outfitted rifle hunt with my dad to wipe out the rest of our accumulated points in Wyoming. In my opinion, the whole points game is becoming a joke with the super tags and decreased non-resident tags. If I head to Wyoming after this year, it will be by getting lucky in a draw with no points.

17-Jun-21

Drew deer (14 pts) and antelope (0) in Wyoming! Also killed a couple of hogs spot-and-stalking at Porkapalooza last week.

18-Jun-21

18-Jun-21
Congrats to you guys on your draw success in Wyoming. I know it must feel great to have some tags in your pocket.

Nice hogs Mike!

18-Jun-21
Thanks, got very lucky.

18-Jun-21
Congrats Mike! You sure are tough on those hogs!!! Congrats on the WY tags too!

Iowa deer draw results posted this evening. Headed back to SE Iowa mid November.

29-Jun-21
Heading to Wyoming with a mule deer tag

04-Jul-21
For anyone who hunts in Wyoming or is planning to hunt Wyoming in the future, this post on the Wyoming bowsite page might interest you: https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=254715&messages=1&state=WY It is about what I was referring to when I posted a few weeks ago about my trip to Wyoming and the "points game" and decrease in nonresident tags.

04-Jul-21
Current proposal in Wyoming does not affect elk, deer or antelope...at least not yet. Points have always and will always be a gamble. Apparently, I'm a gambler. Drawn dozens of LE tags over the years because of preference, bonus and weighted points. When the rules change, best one can do is research how the odds are affected and make a decision to either continue or drop out. Been on both sides of that fence before!

05-Jul-21
Currently if you apply for all of Wyoming's main big game species as a NR and gain a point for all the ones that offer points, you will spend very close to 1000.00 per year in non-refundable fees. And that's what you'll spend even without drawing one single permit. There are 10,000+ NR's participating in the spending. If they make the changes as proposed, it will not only blow away most NR's hopes of ever drawing one of those coveted tags....especially Moose & Sheep, plus Bison & Mt Goat....but will also impact that income stream Wyoming has been enjoying. There'd surely be unprecedented numbers of guys withdrawing from the game, since there'd be so little reason to continue trying as a NR, especially at the high annual cost. The number of tags available will be so low as to may make it seem fruitless to keep going forward. And it's possible the guys with max and near-max points for Moose & Sheep might really get shafted. Under the reduced quotas, it seems Wyoming would probably have to change their quota split rules & go with an all-random or mostly-random draw, making all those guy's 25 year's or so of accumulated points nearly worthless.

And I gotta believe that if they get this change done for the big-4 species, then elk, deer & pronghorn will very likely be the next logical target.

05-Jul-21
Got out of the Wyoming moose point race a couple years ago. Was never going catch up with a good tag. Been pretty lucky with general elk tags and did cash in points for an antelope this year.

Cost of a Alaska hunt looks better all the time. The Last Frontier for hunting?

06-Jul-21
Started buying WY sheep and moose points over 20 years ago when they were $7/each. Thinking it was maybe 2007-2008 time frame when those $7 points jumped to $75 for moose and $100 for sheep. They have gone up again since. The math said to stay in for moose...which I drew in 2013. The math wasn't so friendly for sheep, so I dropped out. Admittedly, I did not account for attrition in the sheep draw. My point pool has actually started drawing a few lower demand sheep tags the past couple years...making me second guess the decision. If this 90/10 allocation passes, those regrets are history.

Really don't have a dog in the fight for the 90/10 split on big five, but hoping it fails. Will continue points for elk, deer and antelope...at least until those rules change.

@jstephens61 - Alaska is addicting! Experienced my "once in a lifetime" bowhunting trip to Alaska back in 2012 as a 50th birthday present to myself. Currently planning my 4th trip for 2022. Logistics can be a PIA...but Alaska is worth it!

07-Jul-21
pav, You draw anything anywhere this year? No hits in the last chance for me AZ so I'm tagless except for a slammer IL special bow hunt. But this was a great year for me not to draw out west due to my Covid furlough job extending to October 1st. I'd have used thousands in PTO days. Back to my regular travel job 10/1! Got a son moving to Fort Collins for job end of this year, so glad I got 25 points in CO. Will burn the elk immediately next year while he is there. The others to follow.

07-Jul-21
Ken, I struck out across the board in western states. First time in a long time. Only NR hunt on my radar right now is Iowa. Have a few feelers out, but not holding my breath.

08-Jul-21
Paul, I was glancing over the tags I drew since 2012 and ALL were had with preference points, ZERO in any random pools. In the previous 15 years I drew in random pools many, many times. Same lotteries. I'm afraid the massive influx of newbies via all the expanded media sources is really adding up. It seems the newbies focus on states with random or partial random chances. Just waiting for the Nevada house of cards to fall. Would not surprise me if they even beat Wyoming to devaluing points.

06-Aug-21
Antelope in Wyoming by the end of the month. Best of luck to everybody!

06-Aug-21
Good luck Mike! Hopefully another stud antelope buck for you in the near future!

06-Aug-21
Thanks, Paul, Still recouping from the shoulder surgery (6/16). Pulled a muscle in my neck today drawing the compound back. Form sucks and might have to go crossbow if I can't get my form better.

07-Aug-21
Sorry to hear Mike. Probably best not to rush the recovery. October is right around the corner!

08-Aug-21
Yeah, I thought I was doing okay until I tweaked the neck. Giving it a few days off and then I'll try again.

21-Aug-21
Got lucky in Alaska last week on a Grizzly Bear.

This was a drift hunt on the Unalakleet River in Alaska. Unusual heavy rains prior to the hunt made our original plan of drifting and camping difficult to near impossible, due to exceptionally high water. The water levels had finally gone down by about the 8th day, and after that the hunting returned somewhat to normal. No real surprise but these bears were super spooky when feeding on salmon along the sides of the river, and we busted a bunch of different bears trying to sneak within archery range. Luckily this one, by contrast, more or less ignored us and I was able to get within about 30 yards for a shot.

I'd post more pictures, but on returning home my PC was fried so I'm not doing much computing right now. Later I'll try to post a few more pics and added details.

Fun hunt though and a rare privilege to get to pursue this iconic species.

22-Aug-21
Congrats Greg! Sounds like quite the adventure! Closest I've been to a grizzly with a bow in hand was roughly 200 yards...and that was plenty close enough for me...LOL!

04-Sep-21

Just rolled in from Wyoming. Warning: Crossbow kills due to my shoulder surgery.

04-Sep-21

3 days later and several failed stalks later, I got an opportunity.

04-Sep-21
Two great animals....congrats!

Was the muley already fully stripped of velvet when you shot him?

04-Sep-21
Congrats Mike! Looks like a great trip!

06-Sep-21
Thanks, guys! Greg, my buck was already stripped and dry. We saw a few that were still red from just cleaning off their velvet but the bulk of the bucks were still in velvet. We hunted the south-central part of the state about 25 miles north of Rawlings.

08-Sep-21
Congrats Mike - beautiful animals! Hopefully the shoulder is getting back to a place where you can pull your bow again soon. If you don't mind, how many points did you have for deer in WY and what unit did you hunt? I have a decent number of points and am looking to hunt mulies in the next couple years.

11-Sep-21
Thanks. 14 points and area 87.

02-Oct-21
Slow morning for the first hunt of the year, but I did have a nice 2.5yr old 8 walk past at about 10:15 - he'll be a really good one if he makes it another couple years. Dad is hunting with me and shooting his bow again this season which I am super impressed by. He saw a few does this morning. As best as I can tell, he has been bowhunting for 45 seasons!

Good luck this season guys! Looking forward to seeing your successful posts and maybe sharing a couple of my own :) Pete

03-Oct-21

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
My son, Dustin, took off work early Friday for an opening day evening sit in some white oaks where we set a stand a few weeks ago. This big mainframe 8pt showed up with about an hour of shooting light remaining and fed right to him. Although the photo doesn't reflect (he was having a hard time with the flash), Dustin was all smiles when we found the buck!

03-Oct-21

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
First deer season for my grandson, Carter. We arrived at the farm too late Friday to hunt, but Carter was with us when we tracked Dustin's buck. The next morning, I put Carter in a tree at 7:00am. Received a text from him at 8:15am stating he had shot a buck. We waited an hour and took up the trail. Carter made a perfect shot and the spike didn't go 75 yards. One happy young man!

03-Oct-21
My dad passed earlier this year at 79 years of age. Due to shoulder surgery, Dad was forced to deer hunt with a crossbow his last three seasons. Carter had never showed any interest in hunting until this year. He struck out in turkey season and didn't take a shot with his cousin's .44 Rem Mag during youth deer weekend. Because of Dad, we had a crossbow available for Carter this weekend and he made the most of the opportunity. Dad may be gone from this earth...but we would like to think he's still passing it on to the younger generations.

03-Oct-21
Now THAT is what I'm talking about Paul!!! Congrats to your son and grandson. I am truly sorry for your Dad's passing. Carter did very well with great-grandpa's crossbow!

04-Oct-21
Congrats! Glad to see some success. Way to go guys!

08-Oct-21
Paul sorry to hear about your dad’s passing. Credit to your family for carrying on the tradition and congrats on their success so far this year.

09-Oct-21
Had a great morning. Owl hooting close by, 3 deer sighted, 2 ran away. 5 turkeys roosted above me.

09-Oct-21

09-Oct-21
Nice shot, Mike!

10-Oct-21
Thanks Pete.

11-Oct-21
Wow....I bet that one didn't run far....congrats!

11-Oct-21
She went straight down. No tracking needed.

12-Oct-21

NY Bowman's embedded Photo
Congratulations to all so far.

Paul, it doesn't get any better than hunting with family.

I had a fantastic trip to Alaska for moose and caribou. I didn't shoot anything, but passed up a couple 50" moose and tons of caribou. I've killed good ones of both and was looking for something special. Been out deer hunting a few times, but the heat and standing corn has them moving slow. Passed a few small bucks and does. Don't want to deal with a doe in this heat.

12-Oct-21

We also had a really fun family gator hunt this year. My wife joined me for the first time and my daughter Jennifer and her husband Stefen and my son Jeff and his wife Harmony were the hunters. We fill all four of our tags with good gators and my wife had fun with a few catch-and-release gators.

12-Oct-21

We also enjoyed some great bowfishing and bass fishing.

13-Oct-21
You've got those 'gator's number for sure....congrats!

13-Oct-21
Great pics Terry! (FL Bowman?)

13-Oct-21
Paul, you are partially right. We are in the early stages of building a house on the rim canal of Lake Okeechobee.

15-Oct-21
Had a great hunt in Greenland last week. This was my second trip to the "Ice Dome". My main hope this go 'round was to get a Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou and luckily, fortune smiled on day 2 of the hunt. Not a huge bull by any means, but he was the best one we saw all week. With plenty of hunting time remaining, I opted to go for a Muskox Bull as well, and was fortunate to take a decent one on day 4.

The logistics of doing this hunt are complex....especially right now with the Covid stuff. But I'd have to say it's well worth the effort to get there and make it happen. By the way, the air temperature was 12 degrees F when we flew out of Kangerlussuaq at the end of the hunt. But generally speaking we had great weather all week.

15-Oct-21
Have Bow Will Travel!

Congrats Greg! Impressive animals and such a trip definitely checks the adventure box!

15-Oct-21
Greg and Terry! Congrats guys. Some fantastic adventures and trophies.

18-Oct-21
Congrats on another great adventure Greg!!

24-Oct-21
Dream hunt, Greg!!! Congrats on making the most of the adventure! Pete

25-Oct-21

Frenchj's embedded Photo
Frenchj's embedded Photo
Frenchj's embedded Photo
Frenchj's embedded Photo
I have been following here for a while, but wanted to post my 2021 Indiana bow harvest. PAVs dad passed earlier this year (wife's grandpa) and PauI asked if I may want too purchase he's dad's bow. I did offer, but Paul actually gifted me his Elite bow and release. Completely surprised I made it a point to tag my buck this year with that.

On October 23 at 6:20, I made two soft grunts and brought this guy out of a thicket. The shot was 5yds from the base of my tree. The bow preformed perfectly with a 50yd recovery. The hunt was public land also which makes it even better. I have hunted four times with zero deer seen and that changed in 20 seconds.

25-Oct-21
Great looking buck with lots of character....congrats to you!

25-Oct-21
Way to make the most of it, Jeremy! That right side is awesome! Congrats! Pete

28-Oct-21
Congrats on a great-looking buck!

31-Oct-21
beautiful animals and photos Greg. WOW!

01-Nov-21

02-Nov-21

I teased Dad about eating breakfast before hunting so that he's not so hungry when the little ones walk by, LOL. But in truth, I am super proud of him for picking the bow back up this season, getting dialed in and making a great shot! My only real complaint is that his 4pointer ran away from the truck and I had to drag it about 600yds since there was a tree across the access lane! I hope I can still get out and kill deer with a bow when I am 75!

Good luck with your hunts guys! These next couple weeks should be amazing! Pete

02-Nov-21
Oh wow that's great. Looks like he made a perfect shot!

05-Nov-21
Congrats, Sir!

07-Nov-21

varmint101's embedded Photo
Have a had a great week. Took my biggest buck to date on Halloween morning. It was a long shot probably 11-12 yards, but I managed. ?? then last night took a Burton buck at 6 steps from the base of my tree. Thought it was a doe, but must not have paid attention enough, but that is ok! Got right at 20lbs of meat off that one. 69lbs off my buck.

08-Nov-21
"long shot 11-12 yards" dang congrats on 'reaching out and touching' that one at long range...ha! Great week, congrats you did good!

08-Nov-21
Congrats, Matt!

08-Nov-21

Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a weak man. Just can't pass up a good 20 yard, broadside shot. Now if I could only find a buck that is this cooperative. Best of luck to all!

13-Nov-21

Turpie's embedded Photo
Turpie's embedded Photo

14-Nov-21
Pretty buck, congrats!

15-Nov-21
Congrats, Chris!

16-Nov-21

KDC's embedded Photo
KDC's embedded Photo

16-Nov-21

KDC's embedded Photo
KDC's embedded Photo

16-Nov-21
Way to go Kevin!

18-Nov-21

Frenchj's embedded Photo
Frenchj's embedded Photo
Tagging out in Indiana I headed to Ohio last week to hunt a good friends farm. I unfortunately shot a nice 8pt the 2nd day there, but drove the shoulder blade. However, I didn't know exactly until I recovered my arrow the next day with only an inch or so missing. While I was waiting for good light that day I passed this deer in hopes the outcome was good. Tuesday I had a meeting in Columbus Ohio and I figured I'd head to the farm as it was an 1.5hr drive south. I'm still mixed on crossbows, but I decided with a quick ground hunt this may work. My hunt lasted 10 minutes taking this deer I passed the week before at 37yds. He was a grey faced scared up southern Ohio hill buck and I couldn't be happier. Especially the terrain just wears you out on those packs in.

19-Nov-21

19-Nov-21
Congrats on the whitetails guys!

I have to ask... Chris, did you locate that buck swimming across the lake? LOL! (carp hunter humor intended).

19-Nov-21

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Gerald and I just got back from Iowa and brought a couple Iowa bucks along for the ride.

19-Nov-21
Congrats Jeremy and Paul. Very nice bucks. Awesome.

20-Nov-21
Been some nice deer shot this year. Congrats to all

21-Nov-21
Wow, nice trip Paul!

24-Nov-21

Zim's embedded Photo
Used my toy boat this hunt to get to inaccessible area.
Zim's embedded Photo
Used my toy boat this hunt to get to inaccessible area.
Zim's embedded Photo
Taken evening of November 3rd coming out of bedding area on way to crop field with three other small bucks. 16 yard shot. He is about 140” but does not look it due to huge body size I bet 230# - 240#
Zim's embedded Photo
Taken evening of November 3rd coming out of bedding area on way to crop field with three other small bucks. 16 yard shot. He is about 140” but does not look it due to huge body size I bet 230# - 240#
Zim's embedded Photo
I was so happy to score anything after losing 2020 season to horrible case of Covid Nov. 7th.
Zim's embedded Photo
I was so happy to score anything after losing 2020 season to horrible case of Covid Nov. 7th.
Zim's embedded Photo
My boat wasn’t big enough to haul everything out so we towed buck and cart on my buddy’s canoe. Made for a fun experience.
Zim's embedded Photo
My boat wasn’t big enough to haul everything out so we towed buck and cart on my buddy’s canoe. Made for a fun experience.
I’ll be returning from a long out-of-state trip Friday bringing a doe and two bucks home. Second buck was 32 years in the making, my dream buck.

24-Nov-21

24-Nov-21

Zim's embedded Photo
Made a perfect 28 yard heart shot but arrow left no exit wound as it hit off shoulder. So had to find this guy doing a grid search.
Zim's embedded Photo
Made a perfect 28 yard heart shot but arrow left no exit wound as it hit off shoulder. So had to find this guy doing a grid search.
Zim's embedded Photo
Couldn’t believe when I walked up to this guy after an hour of not even one blood drop.
Zim's embedded Photo
Couldn’t believe when I walked up to this guy after an hour of not even one blood drop.
Zim's embedded Photo
Body size was much smaller than first buck. I bet he only field dressed 180# - 190#.
Zim's embedded Photo
Body size was much smaller than first buck. I bet he only field dressed 180# - 190#.
Zim's embedded Photo
So happy I retained my composure to make a perfect shot on this guy after waiting so long.
Zim's embedded Photo
So happy I retained my composure to make a perfect shot on this guy after waiting so long.
My taxidermist green scored him at 205” but did not to trust his tape as he was not positive how to score all the junk.

24-Nov-21

25-Nov-21
WOW, Ken!!!! Congrats on the buck of a lifetime and making the most of 2021 after losing 2020! That left side is amazing... you thinking os a pedestal mount with a right turn to show off that left side?

25-Nov-21
Actually I don’t have room in my house for another pedestal mount. Already far an elk (due to past taxidermist mistake). I just gave this one to this taxi and went with his suggestion. Low sneak slight turn right I think.

26-Nov-21
Way to go, Ken!

28-Nov-21
WOW! Congrats Ken...that's an absolute stud!!!

28-Nov-21
Thx, Much of my hunt this year was a result of disciplining myself to pass more bucks. I already had a 140" so I passed on three others similar that gave me shots. I already have too many mounts in my garage so I told my wife I would not mount any more unless they were "special". That was my standard. But didn't have to justify this one, even she knew it met that standard.

I've never tagged out so early. I did not get enough, so I plan on taking late season turkey hunting seriously this year. Opens Saturday I believe.

30-Nov-21
Had a little bit of luck in Oregon this past weekend, and took this 3x3 Columbia Blacktail. My hunt timing was towards the end of the rut (timing is roughly about the same as our WT rut), but the locals were reporting rut activity had been poor, with scant few buck sightings. Given that, I wasn't going to be too picky. I spotted this buck bedded in the morning, and on that first encounter unfortunately I spooked him when trying to call him off his bed with bleats. Encountered him again in the afternoon higher up the mountain. Felt pretty fortunate when he passed by me at 15 yards, and I was able to make the shot. Not a bad one in spite of missing the rear forks, and I think he'll make P&Y.

30-Nov-21
Dandy blacktail Greg! Congrats!!!

One step closer to the Super Slam!

01-Dec-21
Well done Greg! Congrats!

01-Dec-21
Shooter buck

03-Dec-21

Turpie's embedded Photo
Turpie's embedded Photo
Party of last nights harvest

06-Dec-21
Looks like some good ones as usual. I'm very impressed that you're still getting carp with a bow this time of year!

06-Dec-21
As long as it’s not below freezing we can get out. We had 15 fish, only showed the big ones. 2 of them were over 30#

01-Feb-22

I enjoyed a ton of time in the woods this year, and passed a lot of opportunities - but didn't end up harvesting much. I did kill this nice doe on 11/7. Only had one opportunity at a mature buck and unfortunately did not capitalize. Maybe I will send a few more arrows down range in 2022!

• Sitka Gear