ahunter76 17-Sep-21
t-roy 18-Sep-21
ahunter76 20-Sep-21
NEIAbowhunter 06-Dec-21
ahunter76 27-Dec-21
t-roy 29-Dec-21
ahunter76 05-Jan-22
03-Jan-21
Hey all, Just wanted to see how everyone's year went. Hunting, fishing, or otherwise. We pretty much finished building our house this spring. We have some landscaping and deck/patio stuff to build yet but that can wait while we get some savings back. Fishing wise, I wasn't able to get out as much as normal as we worked on the house but I did catch some real nice crappies all year. I took my boys, 4 and 2, ice fishing for the first time late December and they had a blast. We bought a black lab pup that is showing signs of being a good retriever already and will start working with him soon. Pheasant populations are FINALLY starting to look pretty good in the northeast part of the state. I shot 2 deer this year. 1 bow, 1 gun, both behind the new house which was pretty cool. A buddy of mine and I shot both our turkeys behind the house in the neighbors hay field so that was really cool too. Planning on buying a blind this winter and taking my boy 4, almost 5 by turkey season, on his first turkey hunt this spring so we're both pretty excited for that already. Hope everyone had a good year, stay safe, and I look forward to hearing about your year!

03-Jan-21
Pics, or it didn’t happen, Eric ;-)

Seriously, would like to see some pics of your year, especially of the kids experiences.

06-Jan-21

NEIAbowhunter's embedded Photo
As I go through my phone, I realized I don't have any pictures of the house or the new pup, but here is the shot of my oldest son. It was his first time ice fishing.

08-Jan-21
Looks like he’s dialed in, Eric! ;-)

12-Jan-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
As far as whitetail season here in Iowa, I had the best year I’ve ever had in the tree. I saw and had encounters with more really nice bucks than I’ve ever had before. I killed this buck on October 16th.

12-Jan-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I killed this buck on October 26th.

13-Jan-21
Both darn nice deer. I really like the brow tines on that second. Grats on a great year!

15-Jan-21
My season sucked due to an increase in "traffic" on my private spot. Land owner built a pond & there were campers/swimmers all summer within sight of past good 2 stand areas. Then they turned 60+ head of cattle into the area I hunt.. The gun hunters (all family) did not fill all their tags this year (3 Doe & 1 small 6) & thats with "lots" of drives. Other spot, new & farmer/people traffic caught on my cam almost every day I chose to hunt (1 hr + from my home). Public spot I have that no one seems to bother with (small). Don't shoot does anymore & could have with a few in easy range. Bucks, Nothing within range but no biggies seen this year. I've taken many Does & a varity of Bucks over my bowhunting journey so have set a personal goal on my next Buck.. Still, a good season just being able to still bowhunt (turned 79 in Nov). Going to Tx/Ok border in a few days for wild Hogs.. No restrictions on myself for them.

15-Jan-21
Good to see and hear you’re still at it and going strong at 79, John! Good luck on the hogs!

17-Jan-21
That's too bad about what happened but I guess that can happen on other people's land. Congrats on 79 and still bowhunting and enjoy the hog hunt, sounds really fun!

23-Jan-21
Two bucks?

23-Jan-21
Is your question directed towards me, JustPassin? If so, the first buck was killed on my property and was tagged with my my landowner either sex tag. The second buck was also killed on my property and tagged with my statewide either sex tag.

31-Aug-21
Wow! Nice deer Troy, Congrats Ed.

17-Sep-21

ahunter76's embedded Photo
Looking South. The timber from left to right & to the right S. W. corner is where I can hunt. In the center where that point is & in 100 yds is 1 stand. The other is to the far left of . Ton the dozed. Woods is roughly 200 yds wide (E to W) 80 ac.
Looking South. The timber from left to right & to the right S. W. corner is where I can hunt. In the center where that point is & in 100 yds is 1 stand. The other is to the far left of . Ton the dozed. Woods is roughly 200 yds wide (E to W) 80 ac.
Farmer left a lane I can drive thru the corn to where their man made pond is.. Sounds great, eh...
Farmer left a lane I can drive thru the corn to where their man made pond is.. Sounds great, eh...
Well fellas, Iowas opener will soon be upon us.. I am ready. My summer consited of back yard shooting & the Iowa Games (2 days, 600 rounds). I managed to win both my events but not the scores I wanted. Then, I shot the Iowa State Target Championships & again, not the score "I" wanted but good enough. I went to Wisconsin to shoot a 900 round (90 arrows with 30 from 60,50 & 40 yds). My 1st end for score was very scattered as was my 2nd (I knew I had a problem) Then the 3rd end I draw & the arrow falls off the rest. Set it up, draw & the same & THEN I see it. MY cable guard is broken & my cables & string are together (this is only used for outdoor tgts). That ended my shooting as I din't have a spare bow & guard was unfixabe there. So, I took a lot of photos of the compeditors. Anyway, the spot that was nothing but traffic last year "should" be a hony hole. NO ONE has been there all year AND my son in law leased the tillable & it's all corn bordering both sides (NO crops last year).. SO, I have high hopes & have 2 stands places. No cameras up this year. My 2 other old spots are as usual & I know them well (1 private 1 public). Anyway, with the layout & no traffic Im a little excited over the new place.. Just redid some 2213s with 2" 4 fletch shields for this season.

18-Sep-21
Looks promising, John…Good luck this fall!

20-Sep-21

2020 new place
2020 new place
Any day I can get out hunting is promising at my age. These are fro the new spot (last yr pics)

06-Dec-21

2021 was one of the best years I've had in a treestand since I started bow hunting. I must have got lucky with a few hot does in the area because Halloween-Nov 20th was some of the best action I've seen. There were 2 really nice deer in the area I saw from the stand a couple times. One was a nice heavy 10 I couldn't close on twice. First time, he snuck in behind me and cruised by at 31 yards and I made all kinds of noise at him but he never stopped to give me a shot. The other time I had him even closer but the doe he was trailing was standing 10 feet from my stand staring at me and I couldn't draw. The other buck was even bigger and wider but the closest I saw him was 100 yards through the binocs as he chased the previously mentioned 10 from the field. I didn't get either of the bucks I was kind of after but with my wife due to pop soon I couldn't pass up a nice 8. I tagged out Nov. 20th pretty early in the afternoon. The next morning, my wife started having contractions. We waited at home until around noon and then drove the hour to the hospital. My daughter was born shortly before 9pm. It's like she was waiting for me. All in all, 2021 has been good to me.

27-Dec-21

Still some time left but may be tag soup. My year has actually been GREAT again. I've not drawn my bow but I've had EIGHT Does within easy bow range. 5 thru 15 yds. They never knew I was there so I did my job, fooled them on their home turf.. I have not had a buck even close but that bowhunting. My 2 G-sons have arrowed 3 Does & my son 1, no Bucks for them either close..

29-Dec-21
Congrats on a terrific season on several fronts, NEIA! Especially with the new addition to the family!

05-Jan-22

Snow on the ground brings our bird feeder raiders. Yesterday, our yard

• Sitka Gear