petcontain 07-Jan-21
Arrownoob 07-Jan-21
Overland 07-Jan-21
petcontain 07-Jan-21
Arrownoob 07-Jan-21
archer756 08-Jan-21
Shawlerbrook 08-Jan-21
06-Jan-21
Hi New Yorkers. I’m from mass and I’m planning my first out of state hunt this year. I chose ny because I can drive there and I spent every summer on canadarago lake when I was a kid. Went to school in Rochester. One brother went to Ithaca, the other in Scranton. I’m coming in October for archery staying near Morgan hill/Hewitt state forest. Being from mass these huge forests are a little intimidating. To be honest I love tight spots, shallow creek beds near houses. I’ve been suburban hunting. Other than state forests any hints on where else I might look?

07-Jan-21
If you haven’t already, the NYSDEC website has maps and descriptions of those areas. Don’t be intimidated as they are not like the remote areas of the Adirondacks. In October, feeding areas , like apples are key, although October can be tough , especially if it’s a warm stretch. Try to make conversation with locals, at diners, etc., because sometimes you can get an in on private property. I am not familiar with those areas, but the state forests around here tend to be mature evergreens ( although they are harvesting and not as dense as they were 10-20 years ago). If you can any way make a trip in late summer, you will be ahead of the game. Good luck and look at it as a longer term learning experience.

07-Jan-21
Another area you might want to look at is Brookfield Railroad State Forest it is off route 12 south of US20.

07-Jan-21
Thanks! Trying to stay within 30 minutes of Tully. That forest is 65 minutes.

In mass if the land is not posted it is legal to hunt there. Is that true in New York? Is it illegal to hunt private without first getting permission?

07-Jan-21
It is illegal to hunt private land in NY without permission, whether posted or not.

07-Jan-21
Arrownoob you might try Highland Forest over in Fabius, it is a Onondaga County Park only open for bow hunting. 3000 acres. You need to apply for a permit to hunt in the park. Highland Forest is a county park in Fabius, New York. It is part of the Onondaga County Parks system. Proclaimed the "Adirondacks of Central New York," Highland Forest is the oldest county park in Onondaga County. The park has more than 20 miles of trails across 2,729 acres of rugged forest terrain. Wikipedia Address: 1254 Highland Park Rd, Fabius, NY 13063 Hours: Closed ? Opens 8:30AM Fri Phone: (315) 683-5550

07-Jan-21
PET - thanks I will check that out!

08-Jan-21
Overland That statement is no true one can hunt land that is no posted but it is no consider proper one can hunt till the owner or rep for owner asked one to remove oneself.

08-Jan-21
Although land that is not posted or written notice has not been given is not illegal to use( see below), if you really want long term access or lack of confrontation, you should approach the owner first. What’s legal( meaning you won’t get a ticket or arrested) and what is morally and ethically right are not the same here. Before one takes it upon themselves to use anything privately owned it is morally and ethically right to ask the owners permission.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/118436.html

• Sitka Gear