awh302 10-Jan-21
Dusktildawn 10-Jan-21
Highlife 10-Jan-21
petedrummond 11-Jan-21
Jerry Gille 16-Jan-21
KX500 25-Jan-21
PSUhoss 25-Jan-21
10-Jan-21
I’m not sure what to do. I’m not a fan about using a crossbow and I will never use one unless I’m physically unable to shoot my compound. However I want to get my 12 year daughter involved in hunting and she can’t draw a bow. I have a local spot that I can get her to kill a deer without a problem. So.....should I start her on a crossbow for a few years until she can use a compound?

I’m afraid this is what the new generation of hunting is going to be like. Whatever is easy is the theme for new hunters which I hate.

My other option which I’m leaning to is to take her gun hunting and have her shoot the muzzleloader.

10-Jan-21
Spending time in the outdoors with your kid is priceless. I say go for it with both weapons. More to the hunt than the kill. She can learn how to set up, why and where. Learn to limit movement and execute a shot on living target vs practice range. Go for it!

10-Jan-21
Has she tried a genesis bow? I ask because low poundage that she could use during the upcoming year that would help her develop the muscles as the weight is raised. I also agree to the above post.

11-Jan-21
Buy the crossbow and spend time with the kid. Its a no brainer. Thats why i gun hunt with my daughters each year. You only got a little window here.

16-Jan-21
Well I will offer the counter opinion here since you asked the question on a public forum. I started all my kids on longbows from the time they were knee-high. Only one of them hunts today and he is the youngest at 17. We never missed a single minute in the woods together. Time in the woods has nothing to do with equipment. My bowhunting values never changed just because I wanted my kid to kill something. I taught those values to them and one of the 3 carries on today. He grew up seeing all of his friends be successful by taking every shortcut technology had to offer while his success lagged way behind. But it was never about success and each child learned that from day 1. I never lowered the bar for any of my kids and we never missed out on anything together. I have never agreed with making killing so easy that little kids could do it anyway. It is your kid and your call.

25-Jan-21
Yes, the window of opportunity to get a kid hooked on hunting is pretty small. Many dads miss it.

Ask her if she'd like to use a crossbow & if she thinks even maybe, get her one. You can always sell it if she doesn't like it. Archery season is so much longer than gun.

Let's hunt - but you must do it my way! That could work too, but I sure wouldn't bet the opportunity you have on it.

25-Jan-21
I found this statement interesting: "Well I will offer the counter opinion here since you asked the question on a public forum. I started all my kids on longbows from the time they were knee-high. Only one of them hunts today"

Could it be possible that the initial lack of success due to the forced use of the longbow contributed to the disinterest of the other children?

As long as it is legal and ethical, I will encourage and assist my kids in pursuing the outdoors using any weapon that they would like. I never shot a crossbow, but would not have any issue at all if they wanted to use one. Both my kids (11 and 15) shoot a compound, but I bought a stickbow last year at 50 and continue to practice with it to get better before hunting with it. There is lots of time to accept new challenges in archery.

• Sitka Gear