JayD 19-Jan-21
babysaph 23-Jan-21
gobbler 24-Jan-21
Babysaph 24-Jan-21
Babysaph 24-Jan-21
13-Jan-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Today we have a new typical archery whitetail record buck from WYoming county Officially scored and certified at 191 2/8 # 25 all time typical in USA

Age 3.5 /4.5 estimated by biologists

WV has the genetics and habitat to grow world class whitetails if allowed to mature and Managed to allow maturity.

14-Jan-21
Heck of a buck. Its surprising that it's not older.

14-Jan-21
It’s an amazing 6x6 symmetrical typical. If I remember correctly it only had 3.5 inches of deductions and 1 inch of that was a sticker off one of the tines .

14-Jan-21
Awesome symmetry. probably would have grown some abnormal stuff next year. This might have been its peak for scoring. If memory is right, the Hill buck from the 80's would have been a world class typical the year before. Was the state record non-typical when it was taken.

14-Jan-21
I saw quite a few huge bucks killed this year. This is so awesome!

14-Jan-21
Now that is a deer. Very nice.

15-Jan-21
Woodstick, that is correct

15-Jan-21
Yes, JayD, lots of really good bucks taken this year probably as a result of low harvest last year. Harvest didn’t meet predictions this year either, so it may be good next year. I believe as Dr. Crum stated that more and more hunters are being selective in what they kill. With a couple of regulation changes years like this could become the rule rather than the exception

15-Jan-21
Except that the regulations won't happen. We have argued that before on here. It will have to be voluntary for it to work. You forget that most hunters just want to kill a buck. And three of em. LOL

15-Jan-21
Except that the regulations won't happen. We have argued that before on here. It will have to be voluntary for it to work. You forget that most hunters just want to kill a buck. And three of em. LOL

15-Jan-21
JR, not most, actually a minority of hunters want to kill 3 bucks can according to DNRs own survey and the survey commissioned by the DNR . Both 95% confidence level with margin of error of +/- 2

15-Jan-21
Not going to get into an argument - regulations are unnecessary- better land and timber management and continued education of hunters in this state is making a difference.

16-Jan-21
Well is works out well then. The people that want to but tags can and the people that want to wait for a big buck can. I just can't see the state changing the regs.

16-Jan-21
I don’t want to argue either, just stating facts

16-Jan-21
Unless it is money driven I can not understand why the DNR would want to keep the regs the way they are given the results of their survey.

19-Jan-21
Sorry - again not wanting to argue here - just trying to clarify. In your reply to me instead of stating facts you gave your opinion (which is great - Its great we all have opinions to give) you said that with a few regulations changes - seasons like the past one would be the rule and not the exception. Pretty sure that's an opinion and not a fact.

My opinion is that regulations don't need to be change because a lot of people in WV now are doing a better job with land and timber management - and that is making a difference. Plus it didn't hurt that we had some great mast the previous few years. I think you are right and next year should be looking pretty good. All of that has come about with a 3 buck limit because hardly anyone is killing 3 bucks. Heck in this state hardly anyone is killing even one buck - from the numbers it doesn't even look like we have 20% of our hunters killing a buck. 2 years in a row now of below 40,000 bucks killed during the gun season - where at one point were we not having over or near 100,000 bucks being killed?

No matter - what a great buck this was that is mentioned in the post and man did I see some incredible bucks killed off of our WMA this past season! Then again I heard quite a few hunters complain of not seeing any deer so who knows! LOL

23-Jan-21
Again if most hunters don't want to kill 3 bucks and the DNR says 2 won't hurt the deer herd why don't they reduce it? But they really don't have to. They are getting the extra tag money and still killing less bucks. I wouldn't change it either if I was running that business. Since most are not killing 3 I say make it 4 or 5 and get the extra tag money. If they only sell a few it is money in the bank. LOL

24-Jan-21
JayD, the facts I was referring to were the results of the commissioned Southwick survey that showed the majority of license buying resident, nonresident, and non license buying landowners were for a 2 buck limit. All 3 in varying percentages but a majority nonetheless. Nothing more, nothing less

24-Jan-21
See above. Lol.

24-Jan-21
See above. Lol.

• Sitka Gear