Grasshopper 14-Jan-21
bowcrazyJRHCO 14-Jan-21
paul@thefort 14-Jan-21
paul@thefort 14-Jan-21
paul@thefort 14-Jan-21
Jaquomo 14-Jan-21
Hoot 15-Jan-21
13-Jan-21
Guys, we all know how illogical the spring bear ban is. We all know that the bear population is too high. We all know the CPW is killing bears anyway, at a cost to the state. We all know that spring bear licenses would be a resource for the state.

I was discussing this with a state rep, and he is in agreement, he is willing to introduce a bill to revise the statute allowing CPW to conduct spring bear hunts again.

What I need, is help generating the information that I have seen some of you post about here. Any FOIA reports of problem bears killed, costs associated, etc. Any supporting information you may have or can obtain. If you are interested in helping, please reach out. In PM I will provide my number and email and we can start getting this ball rolling!

Thanks for helping!

13-Jan-21

Glunt@work's Link
Here is the 2019 game damage report. Bears are most of it and 2019 wasn't one of the high years. Good luck. Tough sell in today's Colorado. Not because it's a bad idea.

13-Jan-21
Definitely a tough sell, but politicians and bureaucrats think in terms of dollars, and a legislature is easier to sway than a voting population...

Thanks for the information! I will put it to use!

13-Jan-21
Heck yea! I think if it’s explained that these bears are being killed and wasted Because they are problem bears. Instead hunters could harvest them and use the meat and pay for the tag which goes to conservation.

13-Jan-21
At least 12 times bills have been introduced to restore the spring bear hunt since 1992. None ever made it out of committee. Colorado is bluer now that ever.

People understand that bears are being killed. They don't like the idea of hunters doing it and enjoying it. They have stats showing that the suburban problem bears aren't the ones that will be killed by the spring hunt.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but I'm a realist.

13-Jan-21
This seems like a good idea, not sure how it will go with this legislative session. Rumor is they will recess in a couple days and restart in February. Will likely be a short session this year.

13-Jan-21
Yeah he is planning on introducing it in the next round of bills

14-Jan-21
What's different about this bill than the previous 12?

14-Jan-21
Bears eat big game, wolves will need big game to eat. Save the wolves by hunting bears in the spring!

14-Jan-21
And while you're at it, push to get a 'right to hunt and fish' bill.

14-Jan-21
How about this angle? Contact your state representative and ask them to introduce a bill that would give complete control concerning all wildlife matters to the CPW. This would give them complete control to establish hunting and fishing seasons as needed and eliminate outside ballot interference.

14-Jan-21
WW, exactly. That's the only way we can put an end to ballot box biology.

A "Right to Hunt and Fish" bill does nothing besides make hunters and anglers feel good, because it doesn't specify what can be hunted or fished for, or when. So if/when lion hunting gets on the ballot (2022 or 24) the "right" to hunt wouldn't supersede the ballot initiative banning hunting of that specific species.

14-Jan-21
LOL, I'd be surprised if we're allowed to hunt for anything after the current crop of legislators and our dear governor are through with us...

14-Jan-21
BHA founder and icon David Petersen is adamantly against reinstituting the spring hunt. He fought hard to get it banned in the first place. Here's what he said in a recent article: Killing wilderness bears is targeting the innocents,” said David Petersen, a local author and hunter. “While it might reduce the overall bear population, it will have no impact on urban and suburban ‘problem’ bear populations.”

14-Jan-21
Thanks for taking a leadership role.

At the legislature, they have the "claw" caucus that is all about animal welfare, and loaded with democrats. The governors boyfriend is linked in.

Should it pass the legislature, it would need the governor to sign it. What are the odds? Likely low.

14-Jan-21

Grasshopper's Link
They claim to be the largest caucus at the legislature, full of anti-hunters.

https://www.covotersforanimals.org/claw_caucus

14-Jan-21

Grasshopper's Link
This is from a year ago, but it gives you an idea of what you are up against.

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/news/claw-caucus-first-gentleman-hope-to-make-colorado-an-animal-care-leader/article_9d24d09c-38b6-11ea-bb40-f7453676c9ad.html

I suspect at some point this group will push to change the makeup of the wildlife commission, then it will all be in the rearview mirror.

14-Jan-21
We are so screwed

14-Jan-21
Haha! The odds of Polis signing a bill restarting spring bear hunting are slightly worse than the odds of him marrying Lauren Bobert..

14-Jan-21
Thanks for the thoughts and information gents. I like the angle about allowing the biologists to make all management decisions for the states game. We spoke about that as a tactic as well, and will speak about it further.

14-Jan-21
You guys should have heard the wildlife commission meeting yesterday and today. Polis wants wolves on the ground ASAP. Today's meeting was about stakeholder group formation, timelines, and meetings. Just wait to see how the "stakeholder group" gets formed, and how that deck gets stacked.

It is all going to be about nonlethal management. Tie some bells on your boots boys and take a hike...that will solve wolf depredation. Listen in to the commissioners, and the testimony, we can all look forward to taking up golf or bowling.

14-Jan-21
Hoot - I like your ambition. Thanks for going for it. Much appreciated.

14-Jan-21
Election results Colorado Initiative 10 (1992) Result Votes Percentage Approved Yes 1,054,032 69.70% No 458,260 30.30% Election results via: Colorado State Legislative Council, Ballot History

Text of measure The language appeared on the ballot as:[1]

“ Shall there be an amendment to the Colorado Revised Statutes to prohibit the taking of black bears by the use of bait or dogs at any time, and to prohibit the taking of black bears by any means between March 1 and September 1 of any calendar year, and subjecting violators to misdemeanor penalties and a loss of hunting privileges?[2] ”

14-Jan-21
Abstract Controversy regarding black bear (Ursus americanus) hunting in Colorado resulted in a referendum (Amendment 10) on the statewide ballot in November 1992 to prohibit certain methods and spring hunting of bears. We interviewed 369 supporters and 346 opponents of Amendment 10, which was supported by 70% of Colorado voters. Hunting experience was more common among opponents. Most supporters were nonhunters who did not oppose hunting. Concerns for animal rights, hunter ethics, or morality of hunting were not strong influences on voter decisions. However, concern for animal welfare influenced voter decisions. Strategies are discussed for agencies to identify voter beliefs and to devise communication programs for use before and after such votes to enhance public understanding of issues and outcomes.

14-Jan-21
2019 bear harvest, all methods. Male= 858 Female= 509

Est pop 23,000 bears statewide.

With 509 female bears killed how many orphans cubs, if a spring season was reinstated, would be abandoned? This seems to be the driving issue to support no spring bear hunting and surely plays on the emotions of the voter. the other issue is ethics,= shooting bears over bait or treeing bears with dogs.

14-Jan-21
Yep. During the campaign, sad little orphaned cubs were half of the campaign focus. The other half was fat guys in treestands shooting bears eating donuts, then laughing about it.

Honestly, Hoot, your state rep friend would do much more good and have a better chance by introducing a bill to eliminate ballot box game management. Restoring spring bear hunting has less than zero chance of passing in this current legislature. None. But he could help prevent future debacles like banning lion and bobcat take, or the promised (and dreaded) ballot initiative to ban bowhunting.

15-Jan-21
Thanks Jaq, that was what I discussed with him at dinner as well, I think we will shift our focus from spring bears specifically to wildlife management by CPW biologists and commission.

• Sitka Gear