be still 20-Feb-21
be still 20-Feb-21
crestedbutte 20-Feb-21
Kemosabe 20-Feb-21
sitO 20-Feb-21
be still 21-Feb-21
One Arrow 21-Feb-21
14-Jan-21
I’ve really gotten into calling predators over the last few years. I got my fur harvester certification last year , and it’s been a goal of mine to get a bobcat ever since. I’ve had a cheap Primos electronic caller for a while, but it wasn’t great, and I only had okay success with it. I just recently purchased a Lucky Duck Roughneck, and the fourth stand with it brought me this beautiful tom bobcat! I called him out of a gnarly draw with cottontail distress, and he came right to the call within the first 5 minutes. I took the first shot while he was at 80 yards. He was walking and I hit a little far forward, taking out his front shoulder. He took off running and the 2nd round of .243 rolled him up. It was an exciting hunt that I’ll never forget. He’s my first cat I’ve ever taken, so needless to say, I’m stoked! I’ll be doing quite a bit of predator hunting over the next few months, and will post pictures of anything else I take here. Best of luck to anyone else getting after ‘em. Feel free to throw in pictures of your own. Happy calling!

ETA: Bobcat photos in the post below!

14-Jan-21
Great time, keep after it.

14-Jan-21
Must have really been exciting when you saw the movement, then recognized what it was and that it was going to give you a shot.

14-Jan-21

Thornton's embedded Photo
I was hoping someone would start a thread. I've seen two bobcats this year and I've shot a couple coyotes.

15-Jan-21

Jug's embedded Photo
Jug's embedded Photo
New poster but long time follower.

I've always wanted to call coyotes but never really got into it too much, so I am a newbie. Went out last Saturday and set up my FoxPro spitfire with a vibrating decoy. Started at 10:00 and within 5 minutes had 2 come in. Shot this guy at 40 yards! It was a total rush!

15-Jan-21

cherney12's embedded Photo
cherney12's embedded Photo
First time I've ever shot one from the ground with my bow. Came right at me at first light. 8 yard shot. Broadhead really did a number.

15-Jan-21
Keep after them Kyler, good luck to you. Good luck to all after coyotes, we need as many of them taken out as possible, they are thick in my area.

15-Jan-21

30 yards and he came in fast, only to stop facing us.I aimed at his neck but he was so close the bullet went under his chest and knicked a back leg on it's way out. He blasted off and my 2nd shot got him behind the shoulder.

15-Jan-21

I was up on the hill 507 yards away watching some does, then a bobcat. I couldn't resist when this guy came loping down out of a cedar thicket.

15-Jan-21

Missed this one with my longbow. Hit a twig and he didn't even run very far the bow is so quiet.

15-Jan-21

He stood behind me for a minute before trotting off, unaware an arrow had just went over his back.

15-Jan-21

I forgot to mention, that 507 yard coyote had a broken and atrophied rear leg. He seemed to be running around just fine though.

16-Jan-21
Dang...what caliber of gun are you using for that kind of shot?

16-Jan-21
It is a 6.5 Creedmoor. 10.3 moa of elevation for that shot. In all honesty, I was probably more lucky than not because I shot him off my knee because I couldn't see him over the grass while laying prone.

16-Jan-21
Where's that Bobcat Kyler?

16-Jan-21
For some reason I’ve not been able to upload pictures. I’ll try again when I get WiFi in a few days. We weighed him at 30 pounds. Taking him to the taxidermist to get stuffed tomorrow.

20-Jan-21
Finally got my pictures to post! My first bobcat, 30 pounds. He’s at the taxidermist now!

20-Jan-21
Great looking cat. Love them with lots of spots.

20-Jan-21
Brian, the guy I call with is an experienced trapper/caller, and said this cat had one of the better furs he’s ever seen. The photos don’t do him justice. Being a novice myself, I have a hard time telling a great cat, from an okay cat. But between the size, the fur, the excitement of that hunt, and being my first cat, he said I’d have a hard time ever getting a better one to get stuffed. So that’s the way I went! I’m lucky to have a few nice bucks on the wall, but this bobcat will certainly be the pinnacle of my “trophy room”. They’re the most mysterious, elusive, and fascinating critter in our state, IMO. I have an immense amount of respect for them, and couldn’t be prouder to have this one.

20-Jan-21
Very cool. A beauty for sure!

20-Jan-21
Congrats on a beautiful cat, Kyler! Calling cats in is definitely exciting.

20-Jan-21
Great coloring/spots on that one bud, for some reason now the pics are gone? Congrats and hope to see a pic once the mount is done.

20-Jan-21
Like Sito I do not see a picture. I have seen some VERY strange things on this site lately. On one thread on the Big game forum if I looked at a post by an individual with my computer I would see a picture of a deer and bear in the back of a truck. If I looked with my phone I would see a game picture of a small buck. THE SAME POST!!! Anyway I hope I get to see your cat soon.

20-Jan-21
Always loved bird hunting deer rabbits squirrels and about anything else I could eat but never understood killing just to kill. I always loved to watch coyotes and especially bobcats always thought they had more of a rite to be there than me it their home. I know I’ll get beat up for this , they have to be controlled and all that

20-Jan-21
You've obviously never seen a coyote chewing on a live deer. I saw it in person years ago and it changed my opinion of them forever. There is absolutely nothing efficient on how they kill. They have zero knowledge of anatomy so they just grab the deer anywhere and start chewing. Kill them all

20-Jan-21
Yeah Kyler I seen the pics before they disappeared and that is a beautiful cat. Used to call a lot when I was younger and have called in a lot of them but I never have gotten one that big.

21-Jan-21

Kansan's embedded Photo
Kansan's embedded Photo
Kansan's embedded Photo
Kansan's embedded Photo

21-Jan-21
Sorry, tried to switch out one pic for a better one, (didn’t like my boot in the shot) and then screwed everything up! They should be up now. I appreciate the congratulations from everyone. It means a lot to me. A cat has long been on my “list”. Needless to say, I’m hooked on this predator hunting!

21-Jan-21
Frank, I hunt predators to control their populations on my properties. Not just to kill them. However, this cat was certainly a trophy. At least in my eyes.

I will say, I had heard that bobcat is fantastic eating, so a buddy and I fried some “cat straps” the other night from a young one that he trapped. They were fantastic! It’s a very light meat, and the texture is nearly identical to pork.

21-Jan-21
Pretty cool Congrats

21-Jan-21
That is a beautiful cat! Congrats.

21-Jan-21

Does's embedded Photo
Does's embedded Photo
Saturday morning was good to me. 7:30 a.m. first one down 8:30 a.m. second one down

21-Jan-21
Good shooting! That looks like a neat old farmhouse behind you

21-Jan-21
Sweet cat!

21-Jan-21
Sweet cat!

23-Jan-21
Good shootin’ Eric!

24-Jan-21
Hey Jason it’s kinda hard for a yote to order in and I’m not downing anyone. Nature’s kinda cruel that’s just the way it is but not near as cruel as man That is a good lookin cat

24-Jan-21
Kansan, nice T shirt. I went to KSU “many” years ago. Nice predator calling results, congrats.

24-Jan-21
Interesting that in the early years of deer in Kansas, coyotes weren’t really seen as much of a predator, except maybe to newborn fawns. Maybe that was because we had so many more places with rodents and rabbits? They’re certainly adaptive animals . In the mid to late 90s a Drury crew got video of two coyotes ambushing a doe in a green soybean field. It was probably the first recorded incident so saw in Kansas.

One basically grabbed he by the nose as the other basically started ripping and eating either shock or loss of blood took the doe down.

24-Jan-21
Interesting that in the early years of deer in Kansas, coyotes weren’t really seen as much of a predator, except maybe to newborn fawns. Maybe that was because we had so many more places with rodents and rabbits? They’re certainly adaptive animals . In the mid to late 90s a Drury crew got video of two coyotes ambushing a doe in a green soybean field. It was probably the first recorded incident so saw in Kansas.

One basically grabbed he by the nose as the other basically started ripping and eating either shock or loss of blood took the doe down.

24-Jan-21
We also had a bunch of folks that actively hunted the coyotes back then Mike. When dog boxes with greyhound heads sticking out of them on the back of beat up, broken windshield, frame bent trucks, were a very common sight.

24-Jan-21
Still around some places. A good friend had an extremely good mule deer holed up after gun season. According to the trail cam, coyote wagon came through Christmas Eve afternoon, and was firing a pistol into the weedy draws. No permission. Buck hasn’t been seen since. Same guys got caught trespassing on the neighbors one Thanksgiving afternoon .

24-Jan-21
We’ve got 2 crews in my area. Never ask... NEVER. Ran dogs on my property during youth Turkey season.

24-Jan-21
The ranch I hunt every year in NM seems to have a dwindling pronghorn buck population. The plague came through and killed off thousands of prairie dogs and now the coyotes are eating the only thing that's left: pronghorn.

24-Jan-21
That sure is a great looking cat!

24-Jan-21
Ray, so it’s always been, it seems.

“We can’t control where the coyote goes...”

24-Jan-21
Dale and Shane, thank you!

24-Jan-21
I still hunt coyotes with greyhounds all the time (in the winter) with a group of guys who have been doing it for decades. Yes, we have permission for everywhere we hunt. We usually catch several each weekend here in southeast Kansas. The guys went out near Goodland a couple of weeks ago and caught 38 coyotes over a long weekend.

27-Jan-21

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
This weekend’s contest near El Dorado. Interesting, even though night hunting is legal (for now anyway) this contest prohibits night hunting...huh?

28-Jan-21
Might be difficult to enforce that “no night time hunting.”

28-Jan-21
It's all hard to enforce, one of the reasons for the opposition for these hunts.

28-Jan-21
I’ve participated in a couple calling contests, with a friend who is a fanatic coyote hunter. I like calling coyotes, but contests don’t do much for me. But some people really get in to them.

28-Jan-21
They adapt well. I have one permission you cant hardly get within 700 yards of one, but my friend calls them into his yard in northern Harvey County. Had one this morning cross the road 1/4 mile from the end of my drive by the creek and watch me stop 15 yards away. He didnt seem scared, and I probably could have gotten him with my snub 38. revolver.

29-Jan-21
Jason: so what's the point?

29-Jan-21

29-Jan-21
Thornton, great pic of quail and a stone corner post.

30-Jan-21
Very nice picture Thornton.

30-Jan-21
Nice looking side by side to gi with those quail.

30-Jan-21
Thank you. I accidentally put it on the wrong thread but oh well. My lab had a heck of a trip. 8 pheasants and 2 coveys of quail in the shelter belts around the 20 acres that farm sits on out in Gove County.

30-Jan-21
That’s a fun mix’ed bag hunt. Miss those with snow on the ground.

30-Jan-21
That’s a fun mix’ed bag hunt. Miss those with snow on the ground.

31-Jan-21

This is contest from out west near Scott City. Pic of the flyer is from 2017. Not sure if they still hold it or not? Maybe someone from SC area knows?

03-Feb-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
First time out for predators this morning.

Didn't even have an arrow knocked yet, and had two dogs coming up along the fence to the East. The second didn't come any further after the shot(at top just to the left of the cedar). I tried to slow down the shot with my free editing software, but that didn't work out so well...you can slow it down on YouTube, on your "player" if you want.

03-Feb-21
Nice shot Sit!

04-Feb-21
Good job Kyle. Neat video

04-Feb-21
Way cool, sitO! Those coyotes aren’t very loyal to each other. They always seem to bail on their buddys at the first sign of trouble.

What kind of video equipment are you using for video taping your hunts?

04-Feb-21
Fantastic stuff Kyle!

04-Feb-21
Thanks fellas, using a Canon Vixia HF G20 for over the shoulder and usually a GoPro out front

04-Feb-21
Yep very good shot...hitting him on the move like that. I need to practice more.

04-Feb-21
Sweet shot Sit(as Fran would say)....lol Keep after them critters fellas....every coyote you kill is likely a fawn saved!

05-Feb-21
Excellent

05-Feb-21

Trebarker's embedded Photo
Behind my home, Bobcat feeding on my doe remains
Behind my home, Bobcat feeding on my doe remains
Coyote on the left is missing it's right eye
Coyote on the left is missing it's right eye
Coyote/ bobcat stand off
Coyote/ bobcat stand off
Skunk holding off the yotes
Skunk holding off the yotes
Welcome to come call at my place and where I hunt Kyle, plenty of targets around

05-Feb-21
I would be going out more but I only have 1 .243 round left. Can't find ammo anywhere.

08-Feb-21
Where you located Jug? Also, do you have a .22? I've shot several coyotes with a .22 out to about 150 yards with good results.

15-Feb-21

KsRancher's embedded Photo
Got 2 today. Came in together. Shot one, the other ran over to it. So I shot. Called in 4 more, BUT I somehow missed. And they were chip shots.

15-Feb-21
Nice Rusty! I went back out this evening and called a couple spots, no takers.

15-Feb-21

Anyone have troubles with coons. I dont have an electronic caller, so I just use a mouth squealer. And I have been calling in coons like crazy. Dang near got attacked on Saturday. Like literally had to kick him when he got to me. This one was about 10ft when I talked to him and spooked him off this afternoon

15-Feb-21
I’d rather shoot the coons...

15-Feb-21
I’d rather shoot the coons...

15-Feb-21
Me too. The coons are a scourge as much as the yotes. If you can put the hammer down on them in this bitter weather do it!

15-Feb-21
I was looking for .243 ammo just the other day at our local sporting goods store. Zero. I asked when they thought they might get some in... “maybe December”.

If I go coyote hunting, it’ll be with a shotgun or .22. I’m not burning any other caliber at this point. This is getting stupid and the guys buying up all the ammo to sell online for profit should be pistol whipped.

17-Feb-21
I've got enough bullets for this administration and maybe the next, but I'm saving what I have. Im going to miss my long range shoots at sunset when the wind lays this summer.

17-Feb-21
It's getting ridiculous. The guy in the gun library at Cabelas said the new company that bought Remington ammo is reportedly going to charge high prices to reduce hoarding. Saw this offer on my feed this morning. I bought this same number of .22 bullets a few weeks ago for $30.

17-Feb-21

17-Feb-21
I had way too many coyotes on my trail cameras this year. I planned on trying to reduce the population a little this month until I found out that there are almost no 30:06 shells to be found. I did find a box of 20 and a box of 10 at a little store last week. They are probably 20 years old but better than nothing. I will try with my 22 as it appears that getting rifle ammo may not be easy to do for the foreseeable future.

17-Feb-21
Lee: if you need some o6 to thin out some yotes I can donate you some.

18-Feb-21
Thanks Dave. I think I am ok at this time.

20-Feb-21
I have tried to call coyotes a couple of times in this extreme cold weather. Each time I have called multiple sets. I called in only one coyote and one bobcat. I am calling land that holds coyotes and that typically can be called in with reasonable success. Any tips? Advice would be appreciated!

20-Feb-21
My experience (which is VERY limited) is that you can do 4 calling setups with nothing. Then on the 5th setup have 3 dogs come in. Thru this last snow my brother and I noticed something. After a calling setup and seeing nothing, when walking to setup again. When we got a few hundred yds from our previous spot, we would see fresh track coming and going. It's like they snuck in, seen us and left without us knowing. This happens a lot I think.

20-Feb-21
I've had days when I've called in coyotes at one end of a field and a Bobcat at the other(500yds away), and days with multiple yotes on multiple properties. More often, however, I've had days with no takers...it's hunting. Have been having better luck the last two years using "bird tracks" on the FoxPro, the "Nutty Nuthatch & Ranting Redbird" have been my go-to's lately by no means do they work every time.

Wind direction is obviously important, moreso with the yotes, and I like a day with at least 10mph of wind but not heavy gusts. I also run the caller for an hour straight at each spot, because I'm more interested in a cat coming than a yote...and they take their time in my experience.

20-Feb-21
Do you start and stop your caller during that timeframe, sitO, or do you let it run on a continuous loop the entire time?

20-Feb-21
Continuous, but I do switch the sound/track sometimes for the last 15min or so, and I play with the volume some. I know it goes against a lot of what we've read/heard but I've had both yotes and cats come after 45min+

20-Feb-21
Jonathan it’s been about 10 yrs or so since I quit calling but don’t feel like you’re doing something wrong. Coyotes get educated very fast. Sito is right in changing it up and the volume. I only used mouth calls and that helped me a lot in doing that. Some places I would only blow very little and wait in between sequences...got to change it up sometimes. And he’s right on wind...some people don’t take it seriously enough on calling coyotes. Just like deer you have to plan a enter and exit after calling depending on the wind.

Bobcats is a totally different animal...you bring them in with hunger but a lot of times it’s out of curiosity. If you’re strictly after cats don’t be afraid to walk another 100 yards or so and call again. Down here it helps if you get right on top of them before you call. Multiple times I have I called 30 to 45 minutes and even shooting a couple coyotes and get straight up and walk 100 yards or so close to a thick brushy creek and have a bobcat come out just in a few seconds after blowing the call. Sito is right again though that if you got a cat from afar coming in he’s going to hang up sometimes and it might even take a couple hours. I had cats growing up and studied them a lot...if you remember the curiosity side you’ll start bringing more in.

20-Feb-21
And you probably already use mouth calls but on a place where coyotes are educated I wouldn’t bring out the electronic call. A call made by Barnum Brothers called “Mini Blaster” was my favorite. You could make a gruff raspy sound or you could take your teeth and bite down on the plastic tubing a little and make a high pitch whiny sound. Doing it all together sometimes you can make it sound like a animal is in really bad pain. You probably already know this too but pay attention to the sky in the distance cause crows and birds will tell you something is coming or hung up. Especially cats...sometimes a blue jay or other birds will let you know that you have a cat laid up close. Sometimes the birds stop their noise but that doesn’t mean the cat has left. Before you leave trying something different like a very soft but high pitched rat sound.

20-Feb-21

Love my Haydel GHC-Cottontail Rabbit call with mouse squeaker. The rabbit call end reaches out to any in the area, wakes them up and get’s them coming in. When they hang up at the typical 75-80 yds out, you just hit’em with the mouse squeaker end to get them to commit to coming on in. Long time a go, I had a yote poking its head in the grass looking for the mouse as he inched closer and closer. He made it a few feet from the end of my boots before I stopped him. The key with this call is to always end a sequence with the sound of the prey fading/weakening/waning. Love this call!

20-Feb-21
Thank you for the help. The wind direction is something always paid attention to.. Some of the other suggestions will help me with trying something new to fool ‘em.

20-Feb-21
Most folks cain't blow a mouth call for 45min+...others have skills

21-Feb-21
Lol you ain’t right.

21-Feb-21
Lol

• Sitka Gear