crestedbutte 03-Mar-21
be still 03-Mar-21
Trebarker 04-Mar-21
Rambo 15-Mar-21
keepemsharp 15-Mar-21
14-Jan-21

Trebarker's Link
Posted on the Game Warden's FB page today;

SHARON MAN SENTENCED TO PRISON FOR POACHING 60 DEER MEDICINE LODGE, KANSAS – John Blick, Jr. of Sharon, Kansas appeared in Barber County District Court on November 4, 2020. In the one hundred thirty-nine (139) count Complaint, BLICK was found guilty of the illegal hunting and poaching of sixty (60) whitetail and mule deer, and being a felon in possession of a firearm during the commission of those crimes. District Judge Frank Meisenheimer sentenced BLICK to serve fourteen (14) months in prison. After BLICK completes his prison sentence, he will be on Post-Release Supervision for at least twelve (12) months with the Kansas Department of Corrections. As part of the felony sentence, BLICK was assessed three hundred ten thousand two hundred thirty-four dollars and sixty-eight cents ($310,234.68) in restitution that is owed to the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism for the value of the deer killed. These cases were the result of a multi-year investigation by Game Wardens Jason Harrold, Scott Stoughton and K9 Officer Gypsy of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism. The criminal case was prosecuted by Barber County Attorney Gaten Wood. Additionally BLICK was charged and plead guilty to 33 misdemeanors in Harper county and was fined an additional $15,000 worth of fines with Restitutions amount ordered of $17,407.04 for the 3 trophy deer that he killed in Harper Co in 2019 and also the forfeiture of his hunting privileges for 5 years from the date of his conviction. The criminal case was prosecuted by Harper County Attorney Richard Raleigh. In both counties the charges pled guilty to included numerous counts of Criminal Hunting, Hunting with Aid of a motor vehicle, Criminal discharge of a firearm, Felon on possession of a firearm, Fail to purchase or to tag deer, Exceed bag limits, Hunt with Artificial light, Hunting without a valid license and take Trophy deer illegally. The deer heads will be destroyed in pursuant with 32-1047. All equipment and firearms seized is ordered to be forfeited to the state of Kansas. KDWPT would like to thank Anthony PD Officer Becky Mendoza, the Barber County Sheriff’s office, and the numerous individuals in Barber and Harper County’s whom provided the much needed information over the years in helping bring this individual to justice. The information provided and discovered during the course of the investigation will possibly lead to future prosecutions of other wildlife violators.

14-Jan-21
Anyone know that jack wagon? 5 years is not enough for the severity of this... IMO

14-Jan-21
Sentencing was weak. Fines and loss of property in this one has some teeth to it. They should also make these poachers pay for the man hours involved in the investigation as well.

Can’t believe he acted alone but doesn’t mention anyone else involved. If I was KDWP&T I would be watching his immediate and extended family members as we all know in most cases the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree!

14-Jan-21
Where does a guy like that, come up with they kind of $$$ for fines and restitution?

Bet they played this out as far as they could before they dropped the hammer.

14-Jan-21
They have about as much chance of him paying those fines off, as they do having faith that he will ever hunt legally again

14-Jan-21
Slime balls, how do we get folks to take these folks out? Many people knew this was going on.

14-Jan-21
As I mentioned above the sentencing was weak. You’d a thought a felon in possession of a firearm would have resulted in a more aggressive sentencing alone.

14-Jan-21
Supposed to be ten years in the pen.

14-Jan-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
He may have also been one of the three stooges? Glad they got'm!

14-Jan-21

sitO's Link
Pretty sure this is his FB page, also pretty sure he couldn't have done all of this on his own.

14-Jan-21
From Sharon, KS and lives in Attica, KS. Kyle, he may have just poached a few from your Attica hunting area?

14-Jan-21
From Sharon, KS and lives in Attica, KS. Kyle, he may have just poached a few from your Attica hunting area?

14-Jan-21
He lives just SE of Sharon, found the house too. Who knows where he was killing, but he stole them from all of us.

14-Jan-21
Great, looks like he's spawned, too.

14-Jan-21
I wonder what was driving him? Usually it's several guys all trying to outdo each other or outfitter's trying to make more money. This seems different. Maybe he was pissed about all the leasing? Either way, I think 5 years wasn't long enough and I'd imagine there will be a possible federal charge for felon with a firearm.

15-Jan-21
Learned behavior most likely, somebody he looked up to likely taught him how to get around the rules and laws of hunting. Perhaps it was the only way he could get trophy animals to get the attention he craved. Father, grandfather, uncle, or perhaps just somebody in the area he looked up to had killed trophy animals, he liked/craved the attention they got from it. Maybe he desired to be a TV/video hunting star, or an outfitter. He was taught to crave the biggest horns.

We all know guys who were star athletes in high school, were wild and crazy, struggled in the classroom as students, but were excellent athletes. They were very popular with the girls, bad boys that would fight at the drop of a hat. Many of those guys never make it to college, many get into trouble/jail/prison after school, end up in low end jobs, struggle to pay the bills, cannot maintain long term relationships. Many die horrible deaths due to dui driving accidents, or while taking unnecessary chances. There are some that commit suicide when the fame and attention went away. Some end up having mental breakdowns, completely losing it. I can name three from the class one year ahead of mine, all were four year state champions in multiple sports, one spent time in prison, one is dead after committing suicide, the third had a mental breakdown, is a anti-social drunk, doesn't talk now unless forced to.

Don't know this poacher, never heard of him before, but just by looking at his facebook page on the link above, I'd think most should be able to recognize that he fits into the description of what I wrote above. Small town boy who was a star on the field but never amounted to much after they shut off the stadium lights.

16-Jan-21
Kent family of SW Kansas........scum like this is more common than any of us want to imagine. Probably a- - holes like this in almost every small KS town.

17-Jan-21
Bones... yes.

17-Jan-21
Bones... yes.

17-Jan-21
The thing that bothers me the most, is how many people turn a blind eye to it and let them continue to get away with it knowing full well that they are doing it. This kid wasn't old enough to have killed so many big deer, yet his family, friends and contacts had most likely seen all of the horns he had in his possession. They cannot help but brag and tell on themselves by showing off what they have for the attention they crave.

30-Jan-21
Had an interesting conversation with a co-worker who grew up and went to school with this guy. I asked her about him because I noticed her husband is friends with the poacher on Facebook. Her first words were "yeah I know him and I can't believe they only found 60 deer". She went on to say he had been poaching since he was probably 13 years old and his dad poached. Apparently he was often in trouble with the law for other infractions. She was astounded the wardens had not caught him sooner.

31-Jan-21
Sounds like what I described in previous posts huh?

31-Jan-21
Look near the top of this thread (actually the 3rd post). What does my last sentence of that post say about the Apple? Hmmm?

31-Jan-21
That's why I mentioned my new found info. My coworker is also friends with the guy's ex wife.

31-Jan-21
All game law violations aside, is that all a guy gets for being a felon in possession of a firearm? Why are they pursuing more gun control laws when we don't really enforce the ones that are on the books already?

31-Jan-21
Seems like felon in possession always gets plea bargained away. Maybe if they had to spend ten years the law might have teeth.

10-Feb-21

cherney12's Link
U.S. Magistrate Judge Kenneth G. Gale sentenced the three hunters to pay approximately $11,000 in restitution to the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism and $10,000 in fines to the Lacey Act fund. Additionally, the hunters will have no hunting privileges for three years and agree to forfeit all property seized as part of the investigation.

Fines won’t even pay or the investigation and they’ll be back at it in 3 years...

10-Feb-21
Nowhere is there any mention of felonious activity. Soooooo, this means they were classed as a class 1 misdemeanor. Which means they can still possess a firearm.

10-Feb-21
Different case than the one above, but yea not enough punishment...par for the course

10-Feb-21
We need the cancel culture to run out of Aunt Jemimas and Washington Football Teams and turn their attention on poachers. These dipshits will long for the good ol’ days.

The way I read that last one is instead of never drawing a Ft Riley elk tag a fellow can just go stroll into the bombing range and get him one. At worst he’s on the hook for less than a quality outfitted hunt out west and a three year slap on the wrist.

10-Feb-21
Can’t imagine, there had to be some serious pucker factor going on with those idiots while knowingly trespassing inside the confines of an active bombing range for lengthy periods of time.

11-Feb-21

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Some of the take.

11-Feb-21
Wow

11-Feb-21
As I understand the limiting of access to the impact area is the danger of unexploded ordnance but not sure if I have ever heard of exploded wandering wildlife.

11-Feb-21
The actual impact area is only a small portion of that off-limits area.

12-Feb-21
Maybe they had a buddy on the inside that knew when the practice runs were? My dad said they'd find dummy bombs all in the desert where they used to rope wild horses in Southern California.

12-Feb-21
That house looks familiar... seems like I drove by it when I was on the fort. Wonder if they lived close?

13-Feb-21
I’m surprised no one on here has brought up the death penalty due to there being a crossbow involved in the crime.

13-Feb-21
Very valid point... I’m betting they were taken with a crossbow. Silent, can be shot out of a pick-up window, accurate out to 100 yards with minimal skill... Weapon of choice for poachers.

13-Feb-21

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Crossbows are pretty worthless past 60 yards. I bought a Ravin for the ex, and at 100 yards even a slight breeze blew the arrow off target and it dropped like a rock. These new arrow guns are something that might be a threat, or suppressed rifles.

13-Feb-21
Never had a problem with the Raven I bought for kids past 60. I’m fairly confident my 9 year old son could hit a grapefruit at 60 yards 9 times out of 10.

Wouldn’t attempt it with a Tenpoint, personally after test firing both I think the Tenpoint pales in comparison. Trigger and cocking mechanism is way better on the Raven.

Heck I shoot the Raven for fun out to 80... no problems. Shot it in 10-15 mph wind, with experience and practice still pretty easy to get it in the bullseye. I no longer aim at the same spot during multiple shots... I’ve ruined more bolts with the Raven at 60 than I ever did with my compound at 30.

Never tried the 100 yard reticle yet, but the significant drop would be expected at that distance.

Being able to shoot out to 60+ yards with little to no practice during archery season blows my mind and I believe it’s both dumb and ruining the sport. The technology we are seeing today is the tip of the iceberg.

Where will it end? I’d gladly put the thing on a shelf if they would ban them.

13-Feb-21
Never had a problem with the Raven I bought for kids past 60. I’m fairly confident my 9 year old son could hit a grapefruit at 60 yards 9 times out of 10.

Wouldn’t attempt it with a Tenpoint, personally after test firing both I think the Tenpoint pales in comparison. Trigger and cocking mechanism is way better on the Raven.

Heck I shoot the Raven for fun out to 80... no problems. Shot it in 10-15 mph wind, with experience and practice still pretty easy to get it in the bullseye. I no longer aim at the same spot during multiple shots... I’ve ruined more bolts with the Raven at 60 than I ever did with my compound at 30.

Never tried the 100 yard reticle yet, but the significant drop would be expected at that distance.

Being able to shoot out to 60+ yards with little to no practice during archery season blows my mind and I believe it’s both dumb and ruining the sport. The technology we are seeing today is the tip of the iceberg.

Where will it end? I’d gladly put the thing on a shelf if they would ban them.

15-Feb-21
Why do you need a ban to put the Raven on the shelf? Appears you aren't listening to your conscience. If you were, it would already be on the shelf....ban or no ban?

15-Feb-21
Crested, my conscience tells me to hunt legally and ethically. Period.

There are several things I don’t like about the current regulations... hunting coyotes with NV, rifle season length, baiting, youth season, muzzle loader season, compound bows, crossbows, late doe season, leasing, outfitters, managing wildlife for monetary reasons, etc. As long as I have people dumping corn on my line, as long as kids under 12 are hunting during youth season, as long as xbows are legal, as long as the legislature runs wildlife management I will participate in what is legal to enjoy my time outdoors and my conscience will be clear. I’ve been fortunate to kill at least one big deer with just about every legal weapon... enjoyed every hunt and my most memorable are, wait for it.... all of them. I just enjoy being outside.

Crossbows DO NOT belong, but I’ll use it... especially now with my shoulder issues. I bought it for kids to use originally, but life happened. I’m not a complainer when it comes to my body or getting sick, but I couldn’t sleep half the night last night with the pain coursing through my arm and into my neck. I’ll figure out a way to get back to my compound... hopefully next season.

If it was decided that archery season was limited to recurves I’d be happy to hang my compound up as well. I bet a lot, even keyboard tough guys on here, would pack their tent during archery season if that was the case.

When I was shooting it regularly I couldn’t hit vitals beyond 15 yds consistently with my recurve, but I’d comply and be happy doing it. Have recurves only, eliminate the youth season and outfitters, shorten the any deer rifle season to 5 days and we’d be a lot closer to having a booner behind every tree. But it won’t ever be that way... NEVER. I’m not going to sit on the sidelines because it’s not.

My conscience is clear and my walls and freezers are far from it.

15-Feb-21
DP

03-Mar-21

crestedbutte's Link
Colorado hunter banned from 48 states after poaching spree. Good job Colorado!

03-Mar-21
Said they banned his hunting privileges....does anyone know if he ever hunted anyway? So I guess they’re assuming now that he can’t buy a license...which did he ever....now he’ll stop poaching.

04-Mar-21
I too have never had much faith that banning hunting privileges does much to stop a poacher or game slob either, they do not follow the rules in the first place. Most do not have licenses or tags, they ignore regulations, are not concerned about what the laws are.

Jail sentences, steep fines, confiscation of; taxidermy, horns, hides, firearms, bows, and vehicles, that is what hurts them most and gets their attention.

15-Mar-21
In Colorado the fine for shooting any trophy was $25000.00 should be the standard across the land. IMO

15-Mar-21
Why should it be limited to "trophy animals"? Just because they are worth so much money to outfitters and guides?

• Sitka Gear