sticksender 21-Jan-21
KHunter 21-Jan-21
Wapitidung 24-Jan-21
Clerko 28-Jan-21
Ermine 28-Jan-21
ColoradoHunter 06-Mar-21
KHunter 06-Mar-21
17-Jan-21
Can someone remind me where I can find the Sheep kill location map on CPW website?

Thanks,

17-Jan-21
They got rid of them. I believe you can access them at the Denver office

18-Jan-21
Now they are only take the drainage they were killed in not GPS. What unit are you looking for. If it happens to be 32 I have a google earth overlay that shows kill sight I think up to 2016 I would email.

18-Jan-21
I had to search the unit for the drainages and mark them. For one kill there were three drainages with the same name. LOL

19-Jan-21
I'll add the kill location in my opionin are a little over rated. If it is a unit you are not familar with they are a good starting location. There will be parts of unit that hold sheep and part that don't. They are great for elimating area not to spend time scouting or hunting. Out side of that it seems you find a lot a kill sites in the areas with easier access and some but less in areas that are harder to get to. Firgure out the parts of unit that hold sheep from it after that don't hang your hat on the data. I also have been told sheep killed with outfitter the outfitters tend to get "confused" at exactly where they killed at and the data will end up somewhere else on the map.

19-Jan-21
I found sheep in drainages that had no kills and no sheep in those with kills. Also found kills in locations that i suspect never saw a sheep. Outfitters? Mebbe.

Start scouting as soon as the melt allows and build your own map.

19-Jan-21
Ive heard of a few outfitters who have their clients lie about kill locations

19-Jan-21
I believe they still collect GPS data but don't make it publicly available. At least they insisted on GPS when I checked my cow moose in last year. IMHO you should be able to get that data by making a CORA request.

20-Jan-21
Parks and Wildlife mumble something about landowner privacy and fair chase concerns.

20-Jan-21
There is also a map company that their names esapes me. They sell a map that shows kills sites by unit. You can get it in either paper or digital. Is probably worth the money just not to have to plot all the points yourself. Even if CPW not putting out new data a few years old data would be a good starting point.

I hunted S32 a couple years ago. Actully a buddy hunted in two years before me and spent a lot of time with him scouting. Kill locations where great when we first started scouting because we knew nothing about the unit. It is a big unit but most the sheeping hunting was concentrated to a small part of unit. Two years later when I hunted the unit kill sites were not a big focus for me.

I will add one more benifit. When you draw your tag and start scouting. Where you find sheep then and where they will be later in the summer and when season starts will be very different, at least that is the case in a unit like I hunted where the elevation can change is drastic and large areas of snow pack above tree line can last into early summer.

20-Jan-21
They only ask for the general area now

21-Jan-21
They asked for Lat-Long coordinates on my sheep checked in last year. I guess that could vary by the different offices.

They're also making a rule/wording change for 2021 that makes it mandatory to report the real kill location:

---------------------------------------------

Standardizing mandatory reporting regulations across species

(pp. 60, 65 in Chapter W-2, p. 9 in Chapter W-0)

CPW requires mandatory reporting for several types of hunting licenses and species. Sportspersons are required to fill out a mandatory report regardless of whether they harvest an animal if they hold any type of license for mountain goat, bighorn sheep and moose, or an auction or raffle license for deer, elk and pronghorn. For these license types, sportspersons who do not harvest are required to submit a questionnaire which asks for details about where and how they hunted. Additionally, sportsperson who harvest animals are required to submit their animals for inspection by a CPW official. Mandatory reports are also required for any bear, mountain lion, or bobcat harvested in the state. The mandatory report form asks for the location of the kill/trap, in addition to several other questions. This information is used for law enforcement purposes and for biological data. In some cases, hunters incorrectly fill out the check form to conserve the anonymity of the hunting area. This has significant consequences for population monitoring and law enforcement. The regulations relating to check forms for bear and mountain lion previously stated that the form “shall be completed accurately.” However, that same wording was not included in the regulations for bighorn sheep, mountain goat, moose or bobcat. Regulation #002.R has been added to Chapter W-0, stating that for all species requiring mandatory reporting, all questionnaires and check reports shall be accurately completed by the hunter. This ensures consistency among all species that require a mandatory reporting.

21-Jan-21

KHunter's Link
all the sheep kill data that exist are here: https://spl.cde.state.co.us/artemis/nrserials/nr684internet/

Mt. Goat data http://spl.cde.state.co.us/artemis/nrserials/nr683internet/

Moose data http://spl.cde.state.co.us/artemis/nrserials/nr682internet/

From these PDFs ya have a large chuck of work to to do see on a map. I did that hard work to get the kills into Onx for latest Goat and Sheep hunts. Was a PIA, but nice to have as a general reference.

huntdata.com sells nice maps by sheep/goat/moose unit that overlays this data as well. Be happy to sell my huntdata G10 map at a discount to the next lucky drawee for the unit.

24-Jan-21

Wapitidung's embedded Photo
Wapitidung's embedded Photo
Went up looking for sheep this morning. Found a group of Ewes.

28-Jan-21
When I checked in my goat last year the DWM very bluntly and intentionally told me that signing the form with inaccurate information on it is a felony.

28-Jan-21
Yea it’s always been a rule. But some of the guides don’t play by the rules

06-Mar-21
Just checked one of the kill sites for the unit I'm looking at. The long. and lat. isn't even in the unit.

06-Mar-21
“The long. and lat. isn't even in the unit. “ of course you will see that happen on occasion. Typos, erroneous data happen when collecting info the way it is collected.

• Sitka Gear