Pat Lefemine 17-Jan-21
Zbone 17-Jan-21
DonVathome 18-Jan-21
Pat Lefemine 18-Jan-21
Kevin Dill 19-Jan-21
Buckeye 19-Jan-21
Zbone 29-Jan-21
17-Jan-21
Quick question about picking up roadkill. What is the process? I’m getting ready to start hunting coyotes at my place and every time I pass a roadkill deer I want to pick it up. I googled it and I’m still unclear. Thanks

17-Jan-21
If you hit one with a vehicle call the law and officer will make out accident report for your insurance company and will ask if you want to keep it then give you a possession permission slip/permit with number... (been there done that) There's a legal name for the slip but forget the proper word, but its a type of salvage permit that allows legal meat processing and/or rack possession if it has one...

Ohio is sticklers about wildlife game laws... You'd think they'd have a little common sense but have been told all Ohio road kills regardless of size including fur bearing critters such as fox, mink, etc, and deer without above said salvage permit is illegal, even dead and squashed they are still considered property of the state as is all wildlife, even those residing on your own property... How far a LEO would pursue if caught scrapping one off the road is anybody's guess, likely depends on how heavy his badge...8^)

Just my two cents, if ya need one for bait, run over a leg or something, call the law explaining ya hit an already dead one and they'll likely come out and give you one of those salvage permits... Doubt they'd have a problem with that as long as you ask first, but doing so unauthorized though they'd probably have an issue and LEOs are like dogs, most are friendly, but some are azzholes and just plain mean...8^)

Just a thought, but ya might try contacting county road department or even the state transportation dept, they do clear some deer off the roads and have dump sites, they might bring and dump some where you want on your property...

18-Jan-21
Call police and game warden they need to issue a permit. I think they both can, start with game warden first - he is the only one you have to worry about. The police might not know the correct procedure - and they are not the ones who will issue any type of citation if it is done wrong. That is game wardens job hence he/she is the most important person to check with.

18-Jan-21
Thanks. This is the same process as NY and it blows. The cops won’t respond to these calls and it may be two hours before a warden shows up, if they even do.

If the town dumps a couple carcasses on my ground won’t that be a problem too? I know the town is not getting tags for roadkill.

With today’s technology, how easy would it be to take a photo of the roadkill then submit it online. Pic is geotagged and the amount of fraud would be extremely low. After all, they let us tag harvested deer online why not roadkill. End of rant.

19-Jan-21
I think your best way to go with this: Get in touch with the game warden. Explain what you're doing, or want to do. Ask him if he can simplify or expedite the process somehow for you. No game warden really wants to spend his time running miles to a road-killed deer just to write a permit.

19-Jan-21
I am certainly not above eating perfectly good venison killed by a vehicle. once I found a buck hit in town and I was told by a police officer that if the deer was hit inside of city limits, ( Dayton ) that a permit was not needed to pick it up. Unfortunately it was early august not worth much by the time I was able to pick it up.

Another time I was running an errand for work and saw a police officer dragging a really nice ten point onto the sidewalk that had just got hit. I immediately did a U-turn and asked if anyone had laid claim to it yet, and the cop said he needed to try and track down the person that hit it to make sure they didn't want it . I gave him my number and within 15 minutes I got a call telling me I could have it. A permit was issued to me before I left with the deer. It astounds me how much meat goes to waste every year because people just don't have an inclination, or clue as to do anything with it .

29-Jan-21

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Wonder if they're gonna keep it...8^)

• Sitka Gear