One Arrow 11-Feb-21
Thornton 11-Feb-21
cherney12 11-Mar-21
writer 11-Mar-21
Matte 12-Mar-21
Cheesehead Mike 15-Mar-21
24-Jan-21
Looking for a Yes or No to baiting.

Looking for a Yes or No for getting involved for lobbying.

Looking to get a PM from sitO!

24-Jan-21
sOMEONE SHOULD THROW THIS OFF, PLEASE.

24-Jan-21
Yes....to ban baiting in KS.

Yes....to the active pursuit of banning bait in KS.

-Jason Wenzel-

24-Jan-21
J— not sure what you mean, “won’t get involved?” I know Kyle was at least two commission meetings and spoke against crossbows for all and baiting.

24-Jan-21
No/ no Its a hunting right and we should not give those away. No body makes you hunt over bait.

24-Jan-21
Yes...yes. And by the way I don’t think Sito hates anybody...he hates the method.

24-Jan-21
Do you hunt bait Forrest? Every other 'outfitter' does. I'm completely against it. Simply because in my lifetime, I've seen it redirect natural travel patterns of deer, and it creates a lot of tension between neighbors and landowners. It creates a hotspot for predators, avian flu, and possibly CWD. I'd venture to say a large majority of the nonresidents that come here, do so because they know they can bait. If you don't believe me, compare the number of hunts sold in Saskatchewan to Manitoba. Manitoba does not allow baiting and they have some enormous bucks that are extremely hard to get on despite all the Provencial land and few hunters. An outfitter in Colorado told me once, if he could bait, he would "own" all the wildlife for miles. If they'd outlaw it, I'd be the first guy to hop in a plane to bust everyone still using a feeder.

24-Jan-21
I shot several deer over a corn feeder as a kid. Got bored of it. I won’t hunt over bait any more. It’s a lot more fun without it.

24-Jan-21
Against... 100%.

Started using bait for kids and some family members who hunt maybe one or 2 days out of the year, but it needs to go. I do not think any less of an individual who does it as long as it’s legal.

Personally, I just don’t see the fun or challenge in it. I can’t imagine looking at a buck on my wall and feeling good about telling the story of killing him over a corn pile. I live for the pursuit and I love telling the stories. Personally I think they should ban tree stands as well, but I hate hunting from a tree stand.

It’ll never happen. I don’t know of a single outfitter in this area that could have success without it. Too lazy and very poor knowledge on how to actually hunt. If it ever was banned I’d immediately quit leasing my land out.

Problem is, how would you monitor it? It’s here to stay, unfortunately.

24-Jan-21
Another thing I’d like to mention, is this classless rant against someone. “sitO” has more character than most on this forum. He sticks to his beliefs and I, for one, appreciate that. No talking out of both sides of his mouth.

I’m against baiting, but I use it.

I’m against crossbows, but I own one... and yes, used that dang thing.

I hate NV coyote hunting, but I now own one.

If Kyle doesn’t like it, he doesn’t do it or use it. I can’t even say that for myself. Does he rant and rave, yep... but no more than anyone else. Get off your high horse and just make a post without taking a jab if your sincerely interested in actively banning bait you might want to consider him as an ally.

25-Jan-21
Amen...One Arrow. I’ve said some harsh words against Sito which I’ve had to eat and wished I hadn’t said. If we ever meet I half expect him to knock me to the ground and make me taste dirt for good measure. He still uses words that I got to look up the meaning but thats just how that horse rides...it may buck a little but it doesn’t smell and you know you’re getting a clean ride.

25-Jan-21
Yes, I would be in favor of a bait ban, but as mentioned above, it would be impossible to enforce. Is the conservation officer going to check every body that buys a 50# bag of corn or determine how big a field has to be before it's only a food plot?

And yes, I've attended more commision meeting than most of you put together. Just felt that as a bowhunter, someone needed to be there no matter what was on the agenda. Didn't feel the need to speak that often, but they knew who I was.

25-Jan-21
I was and am still pretty vocal about crossbows. They need to be banned unless you have a disability. Just like NV and baiting... if they ban it, I’ll quit using it. I plan on never using a crossbow again once I get passed my shoulder issues.

25-Jan-21
Yes/No

No-Your odds of convincing the Commission to make baiting illegal are about as likely as they were winning the billon $$ Mega lottery this last weekend. Convincing any of the legislators to even consider introducing such a bill, even lower chance. Corn is a Kansas cash crop, both corn and deer feeders are sold in stores generating both personal income and tax revenues. The legislature is pro-agriculture, heavily influenced by pro-ag lobbies and commercial hunting interests. It would take scientific proof that feeding deer is spreading diseases along with a heavy negativity campaign from the ARO lobby to get them to even consider introducing such a bill.

25-Jan-21
Yes/Yes

25-Jan-21
Yes/yes

25-Jan-21
If someone starts a fund to ban it I will send a few bucks.

25-Jan-21
As a farmer, I’ve wondered this for years... I would like to know how many bushels of corn are taken out of the supply each year for baiting. It has to affect the market some. I know of several people dumping out at least 150-200 bushel every year on top of $5k in a speciality blend for antler growth during summer months. The piles I see on outfitters land I’d say they go through 1,000 bushel+ very easily.

Our deer eat better than some people in 3rd world countries... personally, I think it’s an ethical dilemma. As a farmer I don’t grow food for “bait”.

25-Jan-21
Yes/Yes

25-Jan-21
I’m with Randy... I don’t think I’d waste my time. After being pretty vocal and going up to Topeka to voice my concerns on crossbows, it’s a waste of time. They flat just don’t listen. Wait, they’ll listen, but they won’t care.

I quit worrying about what the commission/legislature does or doesn’t do. I am still vocal, but it falls on deaf ears, so...Can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

My philosophy is now, that I will continue to take wildlife by any legal means necessary as long as I’m having fun doing it. If they change regulations to outlaw baiting, crossbows, NV... I will gladly follow suit.

25-Jan-21

cherney12's embedded Photo
cherney12's embedded Photo
Here's the problem... and like you're saying it won't change if making money is their goal.... They bring in 4-6X as much money on non-resident license sales as they do resident. If you include tag money that disparity grows even more. I would love to see baiting go away, but looking at these numbers makes me think there is no chance of that happening. Even if resident sales tripled they'd still make more money off non-residents with no increase.

25-Jan-21
Yes , ban We need more hunters, less shooters.

25-Jan-21
Ban it, makes the hunt more thrilling when you put corn out when it's illegal. Really though, I have no dog in this fight. Putting out bait does bring the deer in, but you're not going to shoot all those deer, plus you know your distances making your shots more consistent, less wounded deer. Read an article from a guy in Michigan who was against baiting but turned when he stated he no longer took guess shots at deer and he could be selective resulting in less young deer being shot and less wounded deer. Made since to me. And if changing deer patterns is your concern, you must ban food plots, they do the same. How bout game cameras, ole Danny Boone would never be caught at the local drug store purchasing batteries. No bows shooting rocket speeds should be allowed, let's go back to a stick and a string. Four wheelers suck to me, you should be in shape enough to get in and get out of a hunt on your own two legs, including humping a deer out. I don't know, where do you stop? I enjoy putting in plots, scouting is more fun than the hunt but I don't mind placing corn near my trail cameras to see what is local, knowing the rut is going to disperse the deer anyway, but I do get to see other deer coming in from other properties. I go hunt no baiting Missouri, I still get a nice buck each time I go and it's still a ball going. I will follow the rules, but I don't see the big issue.

25-Jan-21
Yes, I would be in favor of a ban. No, it is not likely that I'd make the time to actively pursue a ban.

25-Jan-21
Well I said yes yes earlier but which it still is a yes on the first to be legal on the second yes I think I would have to stop what I’m doing now before I came involved. My problem is somehow along the way, ever since I left Missouri, and came to Kansas it seems like I have let horns rule my world and greed has set in. I too corn cause my neighbors and the outfitters do but deep down I know that’s an excuse and should let some of my greed go out the window. The commission might not ever change...spoke to a game warden the other day and he said it will never happen. Supposedly there’s a rumor that some outfitters are tied in with the legislature or something like that. Doesn’t mean everybody has to give up though...we can go through the back door. If everybody will take a little time and spend it with the landowners...don’t think I have to elaborate on details but there is ways the land can be taken back from the outfitters...or from the middle man...or from the people just with dollars on their minds. So far the landowners rule on what goes on with their land...the commission can’t make them put out corn or how many hunters they put on their land no matter how many tags they put out.

25-Jan-21
No, No So what i don't get is the people who bash someone that feeds corn but think it's ok to have a early season or youth hunt while setting on a bean field or food plot with 20+ deer in it and game camera pictures of a buck that you named and know exactly the location, time, wind direction, etc. that buck is going to walk out for the perfect shot and say it is fair chase. give me a break..... If you hunt a food plot then it is a premeditated corn pile. 1. If you own the land set guidelines for your method of pursuit.... 2. If it is the adjoining landowners who feeds corn and have all the deer....MOVE, feed more corn than them or buy more land so your isolated. 3. If it is state owned WIHA or leased land....no worries...it is already banned from feeding corn. 4. If your not a landowner ..... see #1.

25-Jan-21
I had quite a few deer visiting the 50 acres of corn on my place There was one buck I wanted to get a better look at that came on my place maybe 3 times. Out of the several dozen hunts out there, he was within range exactly one time. The neighbor was watching him from his office in Georgia on his Spartan and drove up for a few days and killed him by the feeder. I'm glad the guy's son was able to get an ethical kill. Unfortunately, the previous owners did the exact same thing and their young kid crippled a nice Boone and Crockett that was never seen again. Hunting food plots is nothing like a small area of corn. Also, I'm completely against kids under the age of 12 shooting anything big game.

25-Jan-21
Yes and No

25-Jan-21
Yes and yes, but it will go no where, just like congress voting on term limits.

25-Jan-21
A Food plot is not like baiting. No way. I’ve been planting food plots since before it was cool. Just got into the baiting game the last few years... major difference.

I also don’t think there should be a youth season... but again, I take my son (9) hunting and a few other kids. If there has to be a youth season I believe it should start at age 12.

Buy all the land you want to try and isolate yourself, but you’re going to need VERY deep pockets, not realistic for most and you’ll never be happy in your pursuit of that dream... outfitters/neighbors will always be on the boundaries chipping away. Land ownership for the purpose of “having your own hunting paradise” is a poor investment in my opinion. Although, I could easily flip the land I’ve purchased I wish I had spent my money on better farm ground over the years.

If you can form some kind of club/relationship between neighbors and landowners I think that’s your best bet... but it takes the right neighbors. Never happen in my area.

25-Jan-21
Here’s the thing be still and I’ve come to this realization in the last 5 years... you are NOT going to change anyone around you by not baiting. All that’s going to happen is they will have a better chance at killing a deer that lives consistently on your property. If it will make you happier not baiting then don’t do it, but I guess I’m just saying I understand the “why” for guys who battle it on their perimeters.

I absolutely hate baiting. I think it’s completely ruined the heritage. However, after years of watching outfitters and neighbors mowing down 3 and 4 year olds I don’t care anymore. I’ve got feeders up. I don’t hunt anywhere near them, but they are on my property.

Also, with that said, this year I had the best hunt of my life. No corn involved. None. 100% scouting, busting my butt, hanging sets, stalking and crawling... not bragging, just damn proud of my old butt. I was able to get on a 6+ year old whitetail in his bedroom on the ground.

The beautiful thing, he was in outfitter territory. Under their nose the whole time and they never knew it. My point to that is there are bucks out there that will avoid bait sites... and if you are solely hunting based off what you see on trail cams, you are missing opportunities at some really big deer. It’s easy to get lazy with today’s techniques and gadgets... the guys who consistently kill big deer don’t rely on that.

25-Jan-21
No/no

25-Jan-21
No, I would not be in favor of a ban on baiting deer in Ks. No, I would not support any effort to ban baiting, actually I would support an effort for its continuation, if it is challenged.

25-Jan-21
Be still there is definitely some “politics” in being selected for the commission.

I know there is a pretty solid connection between a member of the commission and a large outfitter. I’d almost wager there’s more than one.

It hasn’t been about doing the right thing for a long time. There’s always an agenda.

25-Jan-21
Wondered why we weren’t seeing the number and quality of bucks we had 6-8 years ago, then we followed a blood trail, with permission, on to the neighbor.

Larger food plots, and 1,000 pound gravity feeders. Outfitter even told us, during causal conversation - “...we’ve got the most food so we get the most deer.” He’s sent video what had deer just casually walking around at mid-day.

25-Jan-21
Not that I have a dog in the fight or as a non-resident any of you guys care what I think.

But, I used to hunt public land in northern Wisconsin before wolves decimated the deer population. Baiting is legal there on public land and I had numerous run-ins with possessive baiters and experienced so many negatives associated with it that I came to hate baiting.

One of the reasons I really enjoy Kansas public and WIHA land is because I don't have to deal with baiting. If I had to I probably wouldn't hunt there. So, not all non-residents come for the baiting...

25-Jan-21
Cheese- I wasn't talking about the 1.9 % of our fine state that is public and no baiting is allowed. I'm talking about all the other private land where baiting does take place and is mostly leased or owned for hunting.

26-Jan-21
Yes, I realize that Thornton. You're probably right about most non-residents coming to Kansas to either lease and bait or hunt with an outfitter over bait. I was just making the point that there may be some non-residents who prefer not to bait or deal with it and are happy it's not allowed on public land.

26-Jan-21
Lots have changed in 45 years. I got to admit, it was fun going to a new property not worrying about outfitters and such. I gave up the gun in the mid 90's, bought my own property in 2012. I'd say doing food plots is the most fun for me, and they definitely draw the deer in. Guys, I can remember when the compound bow became prevalent in hunt and the trads hated it and tried to have it banned. Four wheelers and side by sides everywhere. Now it's crossbows, hear many cons about that too. Game cameras with cell service, next will be drone scouting. If you are bound and determined to drive baiting bans and you're having issues with neighbors, try creating a haven for your deer. Make a rule you can't hunt within 2 or 300 yards. Plant plots, pump feed out or both. I'm going even further, planting chestnuts, hazel nuts, saw toothe oaks, apples, persimmons and I only have 80 acres. Saw toothe produce in 5 years, chestnuts too. Wheat, turnips and radishes grow easily and so does sorghum or milo. There are better options to baiting, hell we don't know what the landscape was before farms. This year I started planting my neighbors property, have 3 acres on one and will have an acre on the other next year. Along with my 4 acres I'm hoping I'll have a lush garden of Eden. You can say I'm baiting but I look at it as preparing a spot that will keep deer on my property for the long term.

26-Jan-21
If baiting doesn’t work, why are there so many complaints about outfitters doing it? Serious question.

26-Jan-21
I don't care how anyone else hunts, none of my business what makes another person happy. I've always thought that if baiting is legal then it's an even playing field, everybody has the same opportunity.

With that said, I feel horrible for anyone who has an outfitter set up next to them and brings in a large number of hunters each season. I've seen first hand what can happen to a herd when bucks are harvested to the point of only 1 and 2 year old's surviving.

26-Jan-21
Best me to it, Frank.

Facts are facts - if it doesn’t make things easier, why do so many do it when it’s expensive and can take a lot of time.

26-Jan-21
Best me to it, Frank.

Facts are facts - if it doesn’t make things easier, why do so many do it when it’s expensive and can take a lot of time.

26-Jan-21
Who said it doesn't work? If it didn't work I don't think people would spend the kind of money on it that they do for feeders and bags of apple flavored corn, etc...

26-Jan-21
No one Cherney, someone commented that baiting is the same as a food plot. It isn’t.

That’s exactly what happened to me catscratch... outfitter has leased a field next to me that has a draw and a corner of a creek that runs through it. You wouldn’t believe the size of the corn piles I’ve seen over there... from the road!

In one season they raped the place. Ruined years worth of work and investment. Literally put my whole life and 12 years of working 2 jobs into it... blood, sweat, and tears. In those 12 years I able to put together a sizeable piece of land, mostly contiguous, but the wrong neighbors and outfitters ruined it. If I had to do it over I would have invested in farm ground only and hunt public or on permission.

26-Jan-21
Yes/Yes. It is my opinion that food plots are much different than baiting, but that's just my opinion. I don't bash those that bait due to the fact that it is legal though. If it were illegal, it would be no different than enforcing poaching. You decide to do it, you are then breaking the law. It is possible as other states have shown, so I say why not try.

Again, no issues with those that currently choose to, but I believe it would make everyone a better hunter if banned and deer would not be so hard to keep on a property that is not bringing in candy that doesn't even resemble the nutrients in the soil of that parcel. With the corn pile vs. plot argument, I think you would have a hard time convincing me I don't provide more overall to a deer's health with a variety of food plots than what a pile of corn provides. I agree it is a massive draw, but it also puts their health in jeopardy if dependent on it.

26-Jan-21
All here seem to think we all own the property we hunt. If you don't own the place you can't put in food plots. ALL the land I hunt is either crop or pasture, so I should put in a food plot for angus or feed piles for cattle?

26-Jan-21
Definitely understand the dilemma and one thing I might mention is I have yet to kill a buck on grounds I can plant food plots. Seems crazy and yes it's a dream of mine and still keeps me motivated, but maybe that says something about the extra efforts are maybe not worth it. Who knows? Everyone has the right to choose as of now what's best for them, I just don't find much of a positive from the baiting aspect. I really shouldn't have commented as it isn't worth the discussion on why anyone hunts the way they choose to hunt as long as it is legal, but I wanted to contribute to the original question as it appeared he was looking for a poll.

26-Jan-21
You know how many guys would never shoot another deer if feeders where outlawed? lol

26-Jan-21
Wally- a lot of them wouldn't. And they'll argue it's hard to kill a big one over corn, but like Writer said, it keeps them in the area. I'd venture to say, 75% of killing a big one is having them there regularly to start with.

26-Jan-21
True what Thornton says above, and that applies to bait corn and various food plots.

26-Jan-21
Salt keeps them around as well

28-Jan-21
You can outlaw it the bottomline is it will still happen. It defiantly affects deer movements, making it illegal would help and prevent the piles that you can see miles away however don't know that you would completely be able to stop it.

28-Jan-21
While it can’t be completely stopped, banning baiting would certainly reduce it.

28-Jan-21
I wonder if the state would also ban food plots that are planted to hold deer on ones property and to concentrate deer into smaller areas, so they can be easier to kill? I know a corn pile/ feeder is not the same, but they both have a a very similar purpose. Who decides where to draw the line?

28-Jan-21
Wisconsin has banned baiting in some counties (and adjoining counties) where CWD is found and if 3 years pass with no more positives the ban is lifted. Food plots are not banned because the DNR recognizes that they don't concentrate deer to the same degree as baiting.

Wisconsin has a baiting limit of 2 gallons per 40 acres which helps if it's not abused. Some sort of a baiting limit might help in Kansas...

28-Jan-21
Who decides where to draw the line on anything?

28-Jan-21
Cherney12, that’s exactly the issue. Everyone ( including me) wants the line drawn “to their benefit”. This will be debated till there’s ice on the hinges to the gates to hell. Related, I used to live in Tx, they have baited there extensively for decades. If there are diseases from baiting in Tx, I’ve not heard of them.

28-Jan-21
10% of killing a big one is a combination of skill, timing, scouting, and luck. The last two outweighing the rest. The other 90% is getting in and out of his home quietly... I’ve yet to kill a big one where a big one doesn’t live. Pile all the corn you want. I’ve gone 5-7 years before seeing a shooter on our land... and I think it’s been 3 years now that I’ve been actively “baiting”. Of course this is also the same property close to outfitters that are continually raping the whole area.

I’m not a seasoned baiting expert, but I don’t see guys consistently kill 170”+ 5+ year old deer over bait piles every year unless they have huge acreages with great surrounding landowners. Even outfitters, I check out their pages frequently... yeah, they usually shoot one or two gaggers every year, but compared to the amount of great land they are leasing and the huge amount of corn they are dumping I wouldn’t say it’s guaranteed success and they rely on bait rather than scouting/hard work. I’m sure it works on 130-150” 4 year olds pretty effectively judging from their pictures. I do it, but I’m not impressed with baiting... and I don’t get the desire to hunt over the stuff. Boring.

I will say this, I can see bucks becoming trained from an early age on feeders/bait and holding tight to an area their whole life. I think you’d have to feed all year long, but that’s not realistic for most of us. Corn is over $5.50/bushel locally and from what I’ve seen a herd of deer can easily take out a bushel in less than 2 days... that adds up. Again, I think it’s all stupid.

I really struggle with the ethics of it and not because I think it’s unethical to shoot a deer over bait. There are literally people starving in this world and thousands upon thousands of pounds of food are dumped on the ground for deer every season? That does NOT seem moral to me.

28-Jan-21
Grew up in Kansas and Parents own land, there and I have a Lifetime Hunting license there. I currently live in Mo and with my job I only make it back up there a couple weekends. We don't have feeders but I will have my dad throw out a couple bags of corn for when I come up just because I don't have the time to go out and hunt day in and day out I'm lucky if I get to sit 10 times a year.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it is legal. I do it for the instance of time, and I'm a meat hunter so I want to get something, in my short time there.

28-Jan-21
T-Bone: isn't that what its supposed to be all about, feel the same way, come back anytime.

30-Jan-21
Salt shared by cattle and deer will spread disease more than just deer on a corn pile. States like Wyoming Colorado ect have disease problems and no bait. Kansas has little money to operate the wildlife and parks now. Serious question! Would you guys rather see a guy shoot a buck with a rifle, or with a bow over bait?

30-Jan-21
Neither.

30-Jan-21
Rifle of course. Gun hunting is at least still a form of hunting. Shooting a buck over bait with a bow is some weird form of entertainment for rednecks who are too lazy to learn how to hunt.

30-Jan-21
Do you use salt in CO Forest?

31-Jan-21
Nope. It's illegal.

31-Jan-21
Baiting should be illegal.

All you damn deer morons that feed deer do is feed mainly nest predators and keep them healthy so they can wreak havoc on our upland birds. And if you truly are a "deer" hunter why in the hell do you need a pile of corn, wheat, milo etc?

Find a trail - sit over a wheat field, corn stalks etc - Big bucks will become wise to your food piles and avoid them at some point anyways if that's what you care about. I'd wager most big bucks are not shot anywhere near one of your feeders.

The "here's your sign" moment for you bums that need a feeder is having a corn feeder set up about 50 yards from a cut corn circle. I simply want to eye roll the daylights out of the moron that does that and laugh at them at the same time.

31-Jan-21

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

31-Jan-21
Forest, I’d rather see a buck shot with any legal weapon while actually pursuing/hunting.

Shooting a buck over a corn pile with any weapon is underwhelming... and I’m not sure how the person who took that animal can ever feel like it was a great hunt. Where’s the story? Great kill, maybe... but I’m guessing most enjoy the pursuit over the size of the rack. However, I would also venture to guess that most who enjoy that pursuit are much more successful in killing big bucks.

31-Jan-21
Forest, I’d rather see a buck shot with any legal weapon while actually pursuing/hunting.

Shooting a buck over a corn pile with any weapon is underwhelming... and I’m not sure how the person who took that animal can ever feel like it was a great hunt. Where’s the story? Great kill, maybe... but I’m guessing most enjoy the pursuit over the size of the rack. However, I would also venture to guess that most who enjoy that pursuit are much more successful in killing big bucks.

01-Feb-21
Forest, I'd rather see one shot over a corn pile or feeder compared to a rifle. Rifle hunting is easy, you can sit in your truck at a field entrance and wait. You can talk to your buddy, move around do whatever you want and still shoot one at 400 Yards and them not have a clue your there. Where with a Bow you still have to sit out there freeze your ass off, not move, be silent, and still manage not to get buck fever for when one does come in. I know I hunt a corn pile because I don't have time to sit day in and day out like some do on here, I can tell you when i was in HS and had time I didn't hunt with bait, but when you don't live in state anymore and only get to sit 10 times a year if your lucky and want meat then you do what you got to do. Oh and yes I did shoot a pretty nice one this year not a world beater or anything but one that I think most would have shot if they saw.

01-Feb-21
“freeze your ass off”?

A lot of the biggest bait bucks are shot early, as in September, when still on summer patterns.

A whole lot of pop-up blinds and insulated shooting houses out there these days. I sure like them.

Anybody who can take off still-hunting cross open country, spot and stalk a good mature buck with a rifle is still a pretty good hunter, in my book.

And people are always going to be quick to defend their style above all others.

01-Feb-21
“freeze your ass off”?

A lot of the biggest bait bucks are shot early, as in September, when still on summer patterns.

A whole lot of pop-up blinds and insulated shooting houses out there these days. I sure like them.

Anybody who can take off still-hunting cross open country, spot and stalk a good mature buck with a rifle is still a pretty good hunter, in my book.

And people are always going to be quick to defend their style above all others.

01-Feb-21
I say ban it during even years and allow it during odd years.

01-Feb-21
Amazing how many are admitting hunting over a feeder is their hunting tactic, due not wanting to invest time. This clearly demonstrates the difference between hunters and shooters. I can't imagine how anticlimactic this method must be.

01-Feb-21
I say who cares just hunt and enjoy yourself. To many guys worry to much what the other guy is doing.

01-Feb-21
Not okay to worry about what other people are doing even when it affects you? Damn Todd, you must be at peace.

01-Feb-21
Slate, I agree. But you forgot to also say that that if you shoot one over bait, you’re not going to feel as good about it. You forgot that some people know whats important for you and how you feel.

01-Feb-21
Come on, Slate, where you been?

“I ain’t wearing no dam face diaper, no matter the store regulations, because I know my rights to make up my own mind. If you don’t like it, stay home!!!”

“.....I don’t care if it’s legal or not, I have a say in how you’re going to hunt or fish! “

01-Feb-21

01-Feb-21
Outside of my grandpa there wasn’t anyone in my family that shared my passion for hunting. Grandpa was also a road hunter and did a lot of driven hunts. Very common around here in the mid to late 80’s through the 90’s. Wasn’t really looked down on... almost everyone did it that way. That’s the way I was taught until I killed a “big one” (140’s) when I was 18. On some property we farmed, but shot him from a road ditch running with an open sight 30/30. After killing him, I had to know where he was living and that’s when I started scouting... found his beds, rub line, and several scrapes. That buck changed me. I picked up a bow the next year and taught myself how to shoot. I started seeking out mentors. One of the best mentors I had was a rifle hunter. He did it the right way. He’s now approaching his 70’s and he’ll still freeze his butt off, and is smarter and tougher than most. Every deer he kills with his rifle is more of a hunt than some of these guys that are dumping mountains and claiming to be archery pro staff.

01-Feb-21

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Pat the owner of Bowsite has said several times that much of what he has learned about deer hunting came from rifle hunters. I love my open country stalks, whether bow or rifle. Had one big 8 point this year pick me off at over 600 yards and ran over the hill, covering half a mile in a blink. I've had elk and whitetails so close during rifle season, I could have kicked a rock on them. Watched this buck doze in the sun at 700 yards the week before, only to have him at 56 yards the next week.

02-Feb-21
Patrick, it just ain’t worth worrying about stuff you can’t change, plus there are a lot of happy hunters who bait. I’m just like whatever.

03-Feb-21
Writer: I have nothing against rifle hunting, I have had fun rifle hunting as well. It was just my opinion that I get greater pleasure out of seeing a Monster shot with a bow even over bait then with a rifle. Your right there is still talent in rifle hunting not saying their isn't. Oh and to your smart ass comment about freezing some people cant afford all those fancy blinds, so people still sit in tree using just some sore of stand. HAHAHA If you'd like to donate one of your fancy ones to me I'd sure like to try it out. All I know is I hunt the way I hunt I enjoy myself, I do it legal, and really that's all that matters to me I don't worry about others and I will never knock someone else for doing it another way.

08-Feb-21
No bait.

No debate.

08-Feb-21

09-Feb-21
I agree Michael

09-Feb-21
Hard to argue with someone when they simply don’t understand the simplest sentences.

11-Feb-21
You guys must have really stupid monster bucks that live by your corn piles as it's not very often I have a mature buck at a feeder during daylight according to my cameras. So I feel my chances are alot better hunting travel routes and bedding areas so that what I do.It isn't a sure thing to hunt over feed just like it's not a sure thing to hunt a spot because you got a picture there, they are wild animals.

11-Feb-21
Habitat, but what about at night?

In the limited time I’ve had feeders I rarely get pictures of a “monster”. Actually to date the largest I’ve seen at a feeder at any time is upper 150’s. Most deer never reach “monster” status. Rather than superior antler genetics, I’ve noticed a great difference in how bucks use feeders as they age in my short time using it.

Once they hit 5+ they are usually nocturnal or a few completely avoid them, BUT it does keep them around consistently, either for food or checking does. No they are not tamed, but they are creatures of habit and laziness. Easy food will change their patterns.

I hate feeders/baiting, it has ruined a lot of hard work in my neck of the woods, but as long as it’s legal and the lazy outfitters are using it across the road I’ll keep putting it out. It’s stupid.

11-Feb-21
Habitat- There are literally hundreds of videos of huge bucks killed using corn piles and feeders from Texas to Canada.

11-Mar-21

cherney12's Link
Feeders are killing birds in California

11-Mar-21
Doesn't happen often, but I'm agreeing with Thornton. :-)

My friend's ranch had a number of mature bucks, some real freaky-heads, coming to feeders. (He's 80, early dementia...we need all the help we can get...) Camera's would have them enough to find a hunt able pattern. My friend would usually spook them. (dementia) Then, we wouldn't see them again. I think hunting pressure pushes them nocturnal faster than anything.

12-Mar-21

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Was out with the dogs and noticed something I have not seen in 25 years. A feeder on the neighbors property line. I think they rented the house to a new person but have never known the lady to let anybody hunt. So i guess ill just have to up my food plot game.

15-Mar-21
There are good hunters who use bait but there are also hunters who don't know much at all about hunting deer and who rely 100% on baiting. Some of those hunters lack the knowledge and ability to ever kill a good buck without bait. While baiting may not be the best method to kill good bucks on a consistent basis, for those hunters who lack the ability, baiting may be their only option for increasing their odds to somewhere greater than almost zero.

• Sitka Gear