onX Maps
Semi-Guided Elk Hunts
New Mexico
Contributors to this thread:
BG 26-Jan-21
Darrell 27-Jan-21
Ned 24-Apr-21
26-Jan-21
Hello all, looking to head out west with couple buddies for an elk hunt in the 2022 rifle season. Was seeing if anyone on here had any good experiences with a semi-guided elk hunt in NM. More than likely will need to be private land due to not having any preference points (I think thats how it works) Any information on outfitters or tags would be greatly appreciated.

27-Jan-21
No preference points in NM. As a general rule semi-guided is an expensive workaround to get in the guided pool and have slightly better odds to draw as a non-resident. There are some outfitters who provide a good service with this beyond the better odds. I would suggest you talk to Smarba who posts on here. He is honest, will do you well and customize something for you and your buddies that meets your needs. I'm guessing there are others who would do you well also but there are also many who will just take your money and fulfill the technicality and not really help you much.

Unfortunately, even in the guided pool, your odds of drawing any unit are low, your odds of drawing a decent unit are poor and your odds of drawing a good unit are pretty pathetic. Too many people trying to do the same thing.

With that said, "Good luck." Somebody has to draw the tags so if you have the $ to spend, go for it.

24-Apr-21
depends on your budget, a private land tag is obtainable but they can be expensive if you are unsuccessful in the draw. Research other elk states for drawing a tag, NM is a great state to hunt, but hard to draw.

• Sitka Gear