writer 28-Jan-21
Catscratch 28-Jan-21
writer 28-Jan-21
crestedbutte 28-Jan-21
One Arrow 28-Jan-21
be still 28-Jan-21
writer 28-Jan-21
27-Jan-21
Local media had a story that the Governor is considering moving the tourism department to the Commerce Dept, away from W&P and returning it's title to KDWP.

Must be more $$$$ to spend on it over there in that budget?

27-Jan-21
Good.

27-Jan-21
^^^ This

27-Jan-21
Me likely that idea!

27-Jan-21

Trebarker's Link

27-Jan-21
Sounds like a wonderful idea to me. Just the sound of KDWPT made my jaws tight. Dept. of fish, feather, and game sounds better, Just as long as the word tourism is not attached. Wonder what difference it would make in operations, if any at all, other than like trebarker said, maybe more money in department of commerce.

27-Jan-21
I frequent the Kansas Bowsite, Kansas Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Forum, and the Kansas Duck Hunters Refuge Forum. There has been an organized effort as of late, comprised of all Kansas sportsmen voicing their displeasures with the department. Me thinks some big changes will finally be happening, for the better.

27-Jan-21
SO, how much is this going to cost a money-strapped agency to change uniforms and signs?

27-Jan-21
Dave....no kidding. Will take them awhile to remove the "T" throughout the layers and layers of information, tabs and pages within their website alone!

27-Jan-21
Done deal. It was pushed hard by the many CBVs, chambers, regional groups. Tourism will be dependent on general fund money, at the Dept of Commerce discretion. Current tourism director also has little outdoor experience. Great at the other aspects, no doubt. The tourism staff....one of the smallest in the nation...had very little influence on Wildlife and Parks.

27-Jan-21
What does CBV stand for?

27-Jan-21
Corn Baiting Vaginas...or maybe Corn Baiting Voters.

28-Jan-21
Sorry, Convention and Visitors Bureaus.

Chamber of Commerces are often more dedicated to bringing more businesses to an area.

CVB are trying to directly attract visitors for facilities and/or tourism.

There’s a lot of cross over.

28-Jan-21
So what are the possibilities with this change? Does anyone see any current regulations being changed? Will the department loose or gain funding? Will the state change herd management goals? I was disappointed when they first merged tourism with wildlife and parks as I feared residents would loose out in order bring cash into the state. Now I'm not sure of the implications of removing tourism from the department. I certainly don't see the state being willing to loose out on cash flow in current or future regulations.

28-Jan-21
Be hard to imagine any regulatory changes.

Tourism and Wildlife and Parks have always had separate funding sources.

Both have shared the services of a pretty impressive PR firm in Topeka. Assume that will continue.

Not sure Wildlife and Parks had much say in this. Not sure many in the department care or ever had much contact with tourism.

28-Jan-21
Are their "T" folks in Pratt or other W&P offices around the state that now have to uproot and move to Topeka...Nadia, etc.?

28-Jan-21
Be still... I about blew water out my nose on that one.

28-Jan-21
Yeah I was way off on my guess.

28-Jan-21
Crested- last I knew, Kansas had the smallest state tourism budget and staff in the nation. There are 8-9 on the staff, all women, I think, All in Topeka except one that runs the visitors center at Goodland.

Those at the WP office downtown, will move to commerce offices.

Nadia is WP Communications Chief, I’m fortunate to do quite a bit of work for her and her staff. Like them, a lot.

• Sitka Gear