Cracken74 02-Feb-21
Cracken74 02-Feb-21
crestedbutte 03-Feb-21
One Arrow 26-Feb-21
sitO 26-Feb-21
ksq232 26-Feb-21
writer 26-Feb-21
31-Jan-21
I’ve just been trying to catch up on some of the details of a multiple homicide case, amongst public land duck hunters in TN. Looks like a confrontation took a turn for the worse. Since most of us encounter other hunters often, surely there is something to be learned from this tragedy. I thought about providing a link, but I figured most of you had already read about it.

31-Jan-21
Always figured that duck hunters were crazy, but this is extreme.

31-Jan-21
They found the killer dead, today, in the lake.

31-Jan-21
Hadn't heard of it until now. Read 3 different stories with 3 different accounts. Sad all the way around.

31-Jan-21
Sounds like the shooter fled the scene on foot and somehow drowned.

01-Feb-21
That is crazy. The old man looked like he could be anyone’s grandpa.

01-Feb-21
Not enough information released to really know all that happened, other than two young hunting buddies were shot and killed, and there are probably children and grandchildren are grieving the loss of a grandfather.

Will be interesting to learn it all when all the facts are public.

01-Feb-21
I don't know anything about this story or what even happened but if I were a betting man....it probably has to do with how close another group set-up next to another group or that one group got the premier spot that morning that the other group believed they had exclusive rights to. In either case, if someone had just been the bigger man at that critical moment and just moved along to another spot or area for that specific hunt then maybe so many peoples lives would be for the better right now instead of shattered. Just goes to show how you handle yourself and the folks you are with matters in a HUGE way!

01-Feb-21
Back in 04' ? We set up about 120 yards from 3 or 4 guys at McPherson. They did well, shooting teal all morning. We finally got a couple in range and knocked them down. This set the other guys off and they started talking trash. My buddy told them to shut up, which prompted one of them to stand up and storm over to us. I was out in the water retrieving another duck when I looked over to see the big guy running straight at my buddy, throwing off his coat. My buddy stood up, shoulder forward, and I knew what was coming next. They stood eye to eye and I saw that big guy realized his bluff didn't work and he was actually going to have to fight. I wasn't worried the least bit about my buddy, because he was an accomplished wrestler and Blacksuit Team member at the prison, and never had a hard time taking people down. I yelled at the big guy, "YOU BETTER STAND DOWN, BECAUSE THAT GUY IS GONNA ROLL YOU IN THE WATER!" The big guy looked at me, standing in the water holding my shotgun with a smile on my face, looked back at my buddy, took a step back, and trudged back to his friends, who were still reclined in the grass mumbling. Never heard another word, and we left before they did.

01-Feb-21
Funny how animals bring out the animal in humans. Its just a bird, deer, elk, turkey people. It isn't worth it!

01-Feb-21
Does anyone have a link to this story they can share?

01-Feb-21
Google “Reelfoot Lake shooting.” You’ll fine plenty.

02-Feb-21
Looks like motive might of died along with the murderer? Maybe the witness that lived will be able to recall motive?

02-Feb-21
Looks like the old guy charged up to the blind and shot two before the third guy disarmed him, then injured old guy wandered off into the water.

02-Feb-21
My guess there was a confrontation that the 3rd guy has not divulged that set things in motion.

02-Feb-21
My guess there was a confrontation that the 3rd guy has not divulged that set things in motion.

03-Feb-21
.....in addition maybe old guy (murderer) was off his meds?

26-Feb-21

One Arrow's Link
SPENCER NEUHARTH Jan 28, 2021

Earlier this week we reported on the death of Zach Grooms, 25, and Chance Black, 26. They were fatally shot by 70-year-old David Vowell while duck hunting on Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee.

New details emerged yesterday surrounding the incident. Jeffrey Crabtree, who was in the duck blind with Grooms and Black, witnessed Vowell shoot the two hunters. Crabtree told his story to Patrick Mudge, host of the Back to the Lodge Podcast.

“There was no confrontation. There was no fighting over a duck. There was no fighting over a blind,” Mudge said. “What did take place was heartbreaking. And that is that a gentleman [Vowell], who was going through something very, very difficult and challenging, was not able to process what they were going through. And that resulted in the tragedy on Monday.”

Shop Gear Worn In Season 9, Part 2 This corroborates what District Attorney Tommy Thomas said in a recent interview.

“Approximately 9:00, a boat approaches their blind, and that was the suspect, David Vowell. Mr. Vowell asked them if he could hunt out of that blind. They said ‘yes.’ He started getting his gear together. A few seconds after that, the gun went off, and Mr. Grooms was shot,” Thomas said. “Just a few seconds after he arrived and asked if he could use the blind, and they said yes, and that’s when the survivor noticed him loading his gun, turned around and heard the gunshot, and he thought it was an accident.”

After the second hunter was shot, Crabtree wrestled the gun from Vowell and knocked him into the lake. Crabtree then boated away from the scene to seek help. The last time Crabtree saw Vowell, the suspect was in waist-deep water, walking towards the bank.

“The gentleman that survived this didn’t even have the heart to shoot the guy in self-defense,” Mudge said. “He even tried to help the third party that is wanted. He even tried to get him to shore.”

Despite initial speculation on social media and forums that the suspect shot the waterfowlers over a hunting dispute, it appears that wasn’t the case.

“One of the first things we look for is a motive,” Thomas said. “Here, we don’t have a motive. We don’t see a motive. Mental illness may prompt a shooting or a crime. Perhaps that’s what we have here, or there may be some motive that we just don’t understand.”

The district attorney said that the search for Vowell has been hampered by bad weather. Law enforcement officers had to temporarily suspend their efforts yesterday due to storms and rising lake levels.

“There’s no good way out of there,” Thomas said “It’s a huge wilderness area. We’re convinced someone assisted him in leaving the area, or he’s still in the area. If he’s still in the area, he’s more than likely not alive.”

A GoFundMe page has been arranged to help the families of Black and Grooms. Mudge also said on his podcast that a local benefit will happen in the near future.

26-Feb-21
Doesn't add up to me, or seem plausible. Also, one of the most poorly written accounts I can remember reading.

26-Feb-21
There’s a lot about this that’s never going to make sense I’d imagine. What a sad, sad scenario.

26-Feb-21
Agree, no silver lining. Just families on both sides always wondering, "why?"

• Sitka Gear