c3 10-Feb-21
wyobullshooter 11-Feb-21
Goldy 11-Feb-21
WapitiBob 11-Feb-21
Goldy 11-Feb-21
Goldy 11-Feb-21
WYOelker 15-Mar-21
10-Feb-21
Hi All, I'm from northern Minnesota, have rifle hunted deer for 10+ years and bowhunted deer here for 4 years. I'm attempting to put together my first DIY elk bowhunt and as is expected I feel I've made a mistake right off the bat.

I figured I would enter the draw for a cow/calf tag in 2 WY wind river units for my 1st and 2nd choices with draw odds of ~99% and submitted my application with ease. Like an idiot though, I didn't research enough the law in WY regarding the restriction of hunting wilderness areas without a resident or guide. (I get the support for guides and outfitters but this law just chafes me the wrong way.)

The units I applied for (138 and 139) though have significant national forest on the edge of the wilderness. So my question is:

Would it be a better idea for me to hunt in WY on the national forest land (assuming I draw) or look at Colorado/Montana for hunting? I wouldn't be opposed to hiring someone but doubt it would fall into my student budget (late to college).

10-Feb-21
Find a unit with less wilderness and amend your application. More importantly find a unit you may want to hunt bulls on some year later and use your cow hunt to explore and learn the area. For that matter, I've gone scouting and camping units during the archery season to see what it would be like with no tag what so ever. Some of the best times I've had with zero pressure and obligation other than to just enjoy being there :)

Cheers, Pete

11-Feb-21
What areas did you actually apply for? There's no such animal as 138 or 139.

11-Feb-21
Sorry, was using onx and had the layer settings to mule deer. The units are 98 and 97 for elk.

11-Feb-21
Take your time, you can modify clear thru May 10.

11-Feb-21
Thanks Bob!

11-Feb-21
Thanks Bob!

15-Mar-21
Look at unit 27, it is an option that does not have any bear issues. If you decide on 27 let me know I will point you to some areas with elk and decent access...

• Sitka Gear