Rackem 25-Apr-21
Smoothdraw 25-Apr-21
Big Dog 26-Apr-21
GF 26-Apr-21
Big Dog 26-Apr-21
GF 26-Apr-21
Big Dog 27-Apr-21
11-Feb-21
Have any of you sent in your pistol permit renewals lately? I sent in mine with payment around 22 Dec. No permit yet and check hasn't been deposited. Just wondering if anyone else's has been delayed due to the virus, etc. I know they extended the deadline 90 days, but I wanted to make sure I got it out before MY expiration.

11-Feb-21
TheDay.com had a few articles related to obtaining pistol permits and the delays associated with them on 2-6-21. You can look them up and read them, pretty interesting!

11-Feb-21
Got mine two weeks ago and I sent in the application late November. The new one won't expire till after Biden takes away gun rights anyhow.

11-Feb-21
For those of you that have a handgun - are you allowed to carry? I don't mean to the range, but out in public?

I had a permit years ago when I had a S&W model 9, 357mag as my back up gun for hunting in Maine. Once I started hunting with the bow I sold my 308 Winchester and the S&W.

11-Feb-21
Yes, BBB, that's the whole point. CT is also an open carry state, so we can carry open or concealed. But, I guess state parks, state forests (except .22), fed buildings, schools are off limits. Also can't while bowhunting. And then our 2A rights stop at the state border. I don't remember reading that part in the Constitution. SMH.

11-Feb-21
I renewed mine before the pandemic and was quick and easy.

11-Feb-21
That whole thing is still on my to-do list…

I have taken the class, but I don’t have the certificate, so I may need to take the class again.

Yeah ironic thing is that I used to live in states where open Carrie was permitted in the field, but not in town, and you needed a permit -a CARRY permit - to carry concealedAround town or wherever. And frankly it never occurred to me to put in for one.

But now that I am legally obligated to get a carry permit - in order to go to a range or wherever - I will end up being legally authorized to carry in a lot of places where it never would have occurred to me before to do that.

I’m sure that they put these onerous laws in place to reduce the number of people walking around with guns on them, but in my case, it might work out exactly the opposite.

12-Feb-21
The demand for pistol permits is not growing it is exploding. The expiration on the permits has been extended due to the back-up. Attempting to get an authorization number for a purchase of a firearm is challenging due to the demand, but firearm sales are also thru the roof. There is a bill that wants to make carrying a pistol during bowhunting legal, do not know if it will be passed. Big back-up at the state level to get a new pistol permit.

12-Feb-21
I go right to troop E in montville it’s right on 395 quick and easy in and out. Call first, also other state police troops may do it as well.

12-Feb-21
I finally got off my tail and started the process of applying for a pistol permit last fall. I filled out all the forms, got fingerprinted, paid the fees due at the time on Nov 18th; I was told it would be 2-3 months before I'd receive my temporary permit.

We're right about at the 3 month mark now so hopefully soon, they I get to do the State Police thing which I'm sure will be a nice long wait as well.

12-Feb-21
I knew the sales and permits were exploding, and figured it was just in process. I just get impatient for stuff like this. Thanks all.

12-Feb-21
My bro in law renewed back in September, said the whole online thing was a pain with copy/ paste passport pics and stuff...I think he said 3 months till he got it back...I'm still good for another 2 yrs..man I miss the lady down at the Bridgeport barracks !!!

12-Feb-21
With all this, New York is a lot worst. When I got my first permit, it took over 6 months and it has to be approved by a judge(so I was told) then, because I lived in westchester county, the permit was only for hunting and transporting back and to the range. I could not conceal carry. In the mean time, if you lived in any county upstate from WC, you could carry concealed in Westchester. Total BS.

12-Feb-21
So I googled Ct pistol permit and I got the CCDL site where it stated they must provide you the permit answer within 60 days; "CT statutes mandates that this process take no more than 60 days, but many towns tend to take their own time on this step."

It also said that some towns are asking questions that are not required by law; "Some towns have taken it upon themselves to ask for extra, not needed information. More information on these can be found on our “extra information page” here."

12-Feb-21
Bob,

On the "extra information" topic Torrington's form had a requirement to provide (3) letters of reference. I checked with the NRA Instructor who taught the course I took and he said that's not required and I could ignore it. As I already had more than the "required" number of LOR I figured I'd go ahead and submit them anyway.

I'm on Day 87 in my wait for my Temporary permit.....

12-Feb-21
I sent my renewal in about a month ago along with my passport photo and my check. They have extended the expiration date so hopefully no issues. The ammo shortage is a bigger issue to me.

12-Feb-21
Mike in Ct,

What are you calling a temporary permit? The towns use to issue a permit and you needed that to apply for your state permit. Now you just apply to the state.

13-Feb-21
Bill,

From what I read the city of Torrington issues a Temporary permit and once I have that I can schedule an appointment with the State Police to get the 5-year permit. I'm just following the directions they gave me in the information packet.

13-Feb-21
You must apply to the city or town that you reside in, after they complete the process, they will issue a temporary permit. The temporary permits were good for 60 days but now with the back-up they have been extended to 150 days. You then must make an appointment with the state, I think there are 5 locations with the state that process the permits. With the temporary you can carry if you own a pistol but you cannot purchase you need the state permit for that.

13-Feb-21
From the CCDL website.

Let’s go through the process:

Go to your local police department and pick up a pistol permit application (form DPS-799-C). If you do not have a local police department, this form can be picked up by contacting your town’s first selectman. This form has all the instructions required by your town. Bring this to class and we will help answer any questions you may have. Register and take a course. The NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course covers state pistol permit requirements. This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. After you complete the course, you will get a certificate and/or letter stating you completed the course. Enter all the information required on the application, your course certificate and notify your local issuing authority (police department or first selectman). They will set up a time where you can drop off all completed paperwork, process fingerprints, etc. Don’t forget the required payment for your town and state. Wait! CT statutes mandates that this process take no more than 60 days, but many towns tend to take their own time on this step. You will be notified whether you have been approved or denied. Assuming approval, you pick up your temporary permit for your town. If denied, then you may file for an appeal with the State of Connecticut Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. Take your temporary permit and bring that to the Department of Public Safety for your actual permit. Once you have this permit, you are now allowed to carry a pistol or revolver, where legal, in the state of Connecticut. Some towns have taken it upon themselves to ask for extra, not needed information. More information on these can be found on our “extra information page” here.

There is no expiration date on NRA training certificates. CGS 29-28 states only that the applicant must successfully complete an approved course of training. The NRA site discusses the only certifications with expiration are for instructors.

Fee structure for the permit process:

$70.00 to the town, local authority fee $16.50 to the DPS, federal fingerprint/background fee. Note: Some towns charge $12.50 $50.00 to the DPS, State of CT Fingerprint/background check fee

Then you get your temporary permit and

$70.00 – State DPS pistol permit fee

13-Feb-21
Well, I'm certainly well past the 60-day mandated period! I'm at the final step; getting the temporary permit so I can apply for the 5-year permit. I'm sure if I questioned the 60-day period I'd hear "COVID".....

13-Feb-21
NRA Certified Instructor here. Some good info on this thread and some incorrect or misleading info.

All renewals right now are by mail only. Because: Covid. Just got mine back (at almost exactly 2 months), the check was cashed the same day I got it. I suggest that you send it in quickly once you get the renewal letter (90 days before expiration).

The initial application for "CT Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers" is indeed a 2 step process, you get a Temporary (60 day) Town permit, then the state issues you a 5 year State permit. By statute the towns have 8 weeks to approve or deny you (CT is a May Issue state, not a Shall Issue). MANY towns are going well past the 8 weeks by the way.

Hang in there, there is indeed a lot more demand for classes and permits these days. The Governor has extended the temporary permit, the grace period on renewals and some other deadlines as well. The 8 week period has not changed and after 8 weeks you can (and should) apply for a constructive denial appeal. Very often once you appeal, the permit seems to magically happen quickly.

14-Feb-21
“Very often once you appeal, the permit seems to magically happen quickly.“

That’s certainly the way things work down here on almost anything that has to go through town hall, the post office, etc.

And I don’t fault the people working there; they’re probably back-logged for months. But if you inquire in a polite and understanding/friendly manner, it seems that your paperwork will sometimes turn up just a couple forms down into the pile. It’s like MAGIC!!

Treat people the way that you would like to be treated and they’ll be happy to help. Who knew??

22-Feb-21
Arrived today, exactly two months.

22-Feb-21
Got mine last Friday-93 days! Got an appointment in Middletown on July 16th for the regular permit.

22-Feb-21

22-Feb-21

22-Feb-21

27-Feb-21
Mike, they recently opened some additional appointments in March. You may want to see if you can month up a few months.

27-Feb-21
Thanks Ace; I'll check into it!

27-Feb-21
Ace-I was able to move my appointment up to 3/15!

Thanks!

28-Feb-21
That's great Mike! Now, you just have to find someplace with some inventory. So many places are low on both guns and ammo,

Good news for Pittman-Robertson funds coming our way I guess is the silver lining.

09-Apr-21
Just got mine back today. Sent it in 2/5. Today is the 8th week. Funny thing, they must of not my photo they used my last permit photo. But the expiration is correct.

09-Apr-21
We should ALL be so lucky as to get a extension on our expiration date and still look just as good!

09-Apr-21
Ok guys just reading this post for the first time. My wife, daughter and I have just finished the class/range work and have submitted the paperwork to our local PD for approval. If approved we receive a temporary permit in the mail and then we take that to the state for a 5 year permit?

10-Apr-21
yes correct, but there is a wait time to get to state as they are behind. Temporary permit was 60 days increased to a 150 days due to log jam. Must set-up appointment once you get your temporary permit. If you own firearms you can carry on the temp. But you cannot purchase you need the State permit for that.

10-Apr-21
I don't think it's temporary, I think it's a town permit if I remember right. Then, yes, more paperwork and $$ for your 5 yr state permit. I may be wrong though. I got mine back in the Clinton years.

10-Apr-21
Correct Deerstalker, you must make an appointment for the state permit. No walk ins are aloud at the DPS building in Middletown without an appointment. Also, Renewals are being done online only.

10-Apr-21
Brian is correct on the temp, or town only. Until you get the state of ct permit.

10-Apr-21
Rich,

I went to the Torrington PD to pick up my temp after they called me to tell me it was done. After I picked it up I went online to schedule an appointment and then as Ace advised me I checked again and was able to get an earlier appointment.

I am now the happy possessor of a CT state pistol permit!

Good luck!

10-Apr-21
I got mine back in about 1973 I don’t think my renewal is due for a couple of years.

10-Apr-21
Great job Mike. I can’t wait. I’m thinking end of June or July.

15-Apr-21
Anyone move from NY to CT, and how does that work?

15-Apr-21
Catslam the good news for you is that you don’t need to look up gun regs for CT as NY, CT, and MA all have the same crappy laws ha!

20-Apr-21
LOL i hear ya. But I meant my pistol permit

20-Apr-21
Cat, I sent you a PM.

21-Apr-21
What is the best caliber pistol to own for protection while scouting? I'm not a handgun owner but fully understand what can happen when I unintentionally confront a bear whether in the woods or in backyard.

21-Apr-21
Big Dog; That's a question that requires lots of questions and gives many opinions. You have to be comfortable with what you carry thus you must know and use you pistol like you do your bow (I hope). Know how it works and handle it instinctively with tons of practice.That the easy part! Then comes ballistics ,time & money, I personally carry a 10mm but again that's just my preference. Do a lot of research and good luck.

21-Apr-21
BD, my carry gun is a P365 SIG 9mm or a KAHR PM9 both made in New England. Small and out of the way, but not probably the best caliber to kill a Bear quickly. Tompolaris is right 10mm is the best option. I have a Glock 20 and it's big and bulky. Tough carrying concealed.

21-Apr-21
tom and ne, I appreciate the replies. I know one thing: regardless of the cost of the weapon it'll be cheaper than the hospital bill if the bear gets to me ,LOL.

21-Apr-21
It's illegal in Connecticut to carry a handgun on state land, anytime. Don't go in the woods without pepper spray and remember, it is a "close range" deterrent that is dependent on you being upwind of the bear when spraying.

21-Apr-21
Ruger P345, .45 ACP. In my area I'd worry more about a vicious squirrel than a bear. Always a chance of a noncompliant dog i guess.

21-Apr-21
Wild Bill,

It is not accurate to say its always illegal to carry a handgun on state land in CT. As far as I know, if you have a pistol permit and a hunting license, you can carry a .22 handgun on state land during small game hunting season to hunt with.

21-Apr-21
FYI -

"The State Police Special Licensing and Firearms Unit is pleased to announce the following changes at its Headquarters location in Middletown for new pistol permit applicants only:

Effective Thursday, April 22, 2021—anyone who had a scheduled appointment between now and the end of July, may come to Headquarters and obtain their new pistol permit at any time, starting on Thursday, April 22, 2021 through Saturday, May 15, 2021.

Effective Monday, May 17, 2021—the Headquarters location will be open without appointments to all new pistol permit applicants.

To provide better accommodations, we are also extending our hours from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm every week day and opening on Saturdays from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.

Please note that it is your responsibility to obtain a new permit within the appropriate time frame. Effective May 20th, the 90-day extension on temporary permits will no longer be honored. AFTER May 20th, each applicant must appear in person to receive the state permit (60 days from the date of issuance of the temporary permit).

For the time being, Troop E and G will provide service to people with appointments only. If you have an appointment at Troop E and G, you may choose to keep your appointment or come to Headquarters. If you obtain your permit sooner than your appointment date, please cancel your appointment. Again, AFTER May 20th, each applicant must appear in person to receive the state permit (60 days from the date of issuance of the temporary permit)."

21-Apr-21
Ace, you sure that's not for a covid shot. :-)

21-Apr-21
Brian ,I tend to think of rogue bears as 300lb dobermans who don't obey voice commands. I'm not going to be a victim.

21-Apr-21
toonces,

I answered in the context of the question of self defence and not hunting. You appear to be right about the .22, but the regs look restrictive to designated/posted areas and not all state land. The devil is in the details.

Under what circumstances may a person legally possess or carry a handgun in a Connecticut state park or forest?

Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) regulations prohibit, with exceptions, hunting or carrying firearms or other weapons in any state park or forest (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 23-4-1(c)). In order to legally carry a handgun, a person must obtain a permit to carry (CGS § 29-28).

According to DEP, a person may legally possess a handgun in a state park or forest when carrying the handgun exclusively for hunting small game (e.g., rabbits, squirrels) or other authorized activities, such as for use at a firearms range or participation in a hunter education class. They may only do so at predetermined times in areas set aside by the DEP commissioner and posted for such purposes (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 26-66-2(d)). DEP says that what is permissible for hunters depends on the site and season.

Under DEP regulations, a person cannot use a handgun using centerfire ammunition to hunt on state-owned land. Handguns using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges also are prohibited on state-owned land (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 26-66-2 (a)).

Full details about hunting can be found in DEP's 2010 Hunting and Trapping Field Guide, which is available at: http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=452546&depNav_GID=1633.

21-Apr-21
Hold on.....

“ According to DEP, a person may legally possess a handgun in a state park or forest when carrying the handgun exclusively for hunting small game”

That reminds me of the hoo-rah on the Wall about skirting the legality of stump-shooting on state land... Since coyotes & woodchucks are pretty near always in season.... ???

And of course the great irony in all of that is that the ban on carrying centerfire handguns on state land is (no doubt) there to prevent someone from using a handgun to poach one of the deer which they are now so incredibly desperate to get rid of…

D’oh.

22-Apr-21
GF, exactly right about the poacher inference.

23-Apr-21
Wouldn’t you like to think that the people in charge of such things would recognize the growing bear/coyote population and relax the restrictions on what you can carry because the societal cost of maybe a few deer being poached really pales in comparison to a hiker being mauled? (And when I say “maybe a few“ deer I am being really generous because let’s face it: NOBODY is good enough with a pistol to be better off with a carry-sized handgun than a compound or a crossbow).

But we have a lot of silly laws, here, don’t we? That always seems to happen when the regs have to be written at the expense of law-abiding types to make it possible to prosecute the few Problem Characters...

So basically, if you want to go stump shooting on public land here, you have to be able to make a reasonable case that you are actually out there Hunting (license & appropriate tags).... because no doubt someone who was out poaching managed to get off by claiming that they were just out shooting a few stumps.

25-Apr-21
I was at the middletown location on Friday morning. The line was wrapped around the backside of the building. I'm guessing 400 people inline to get their permit. They had 4 stations working instead of the normal two. They are very under staffed.

25-Apr-21
I applied for a long gun permit a few weeks ago. 3-4 month wait I was told. BS

26-Apr-21
A fisherman in Mt. recently died from a bear attack. His pepper spray reportedly didn't deter the bear which was guarding an elk carcass. The bear was later killed for being a bear. I was trout fishing NW CT. recently and in certain areas every trash barrel was knocked over and impressive claw marks on some telephone poles, a lot of bear sign.

26-Apr-21
JMO.... That Grizzly was not killed “for being a bear”; he was killed for being a bear which was absolutely unafraid of humans.

I got the impression that the fishing guide knew enough about bears that if this one had given him any kind of a warning, he would’ve been out of there safe and sound...

One Whoof and I expect he’d have been outta there...

Kinda makes you think you should move through an area headed up-wind, so you can get a whiff of something like a carcass before you get too close…

26-Apr-21
GF, I have a feeling wild bears who are afraid of humans can also be dangerous animals in certain situations. I'm not going to test that theory , lol. I have never had a close encounter ; but, sometime a person can turn a corner and there he/she is. When we whip out the bear spray let's hope he's down wind.

26-Apr-21
No doubt that it’s a bad idea to surprise a bear. Worse idea to surprise a bear that is guarding a carcass or tending to cubs.

I would rather have bear spray than nothing at all, but I am seriously thinking about a pepper pistol as the best compromise option. Even if it’s not graded as “bear spray“, at least it handles like a double action pistol and you can strap it on wherever it’s convenient. I would rather have a convenient “human strength“ pepper spray right at hand than “bear strength“ spray that I have to fumble with…

Just from a purely practical standpoint.

27-Apr-21
Pepper makes for great seasoning...human ass au poivre served at the Bear's Den Bistro in anywhere Ct.

• Sitka Gear