Coyote 65 07-Nov-22
BOHNTR 30-Nov-22
BOWUNTR 28-Dec-22
Coyote 65 28-Jun-23
Coyote 65 28-Jun-23
BOHNTR 29-Jun-23
Coyote 65 05-Oct-23
12-Feb-21
For those of us that do not have cable and not much cell service there is a new game in town for internet. Currently I have Viasat for my service provider. 12 mbps download speed and a data cap of 150 gig. We can burn thru that in a couple of weeks if a new series comes on Netflix. Real game changer for all of us stuck in the middle of the National Forest.

Terry

14-Feb-21
Sorry Terry, you just won't get much sympathy from those of us living in this concrete jungle. I would gladly trade places with you.

27-Feb-21
Knothead, yes it is nice to live up here, but it also has its downside. Like getting up and getting dressed and breaking ice so the wildlife in the area have a waterhole. Hauling wood pellets up the stairs to the pellet stove. Looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy when you go outside to shovel snow. So it is not all fun and games, but I did hear an elk bugle this evening, so that helps.

Terry

08-Jul-21
Did the starlink work? I've tried Hughesnet, and Dishnet and they both weren't worth the money you could barely get email let alone any good tv or internet.

08-Jul-21
bohunr, have not gotten starlink as yet, but if you go to utube you can get lots of reviews. All good. For me the speed of Viasat is ok. it is the data caps that kill us. Starlink has announced they are going full commercial August September timeframe. As we put our deposit down in Feb, and they go by first come first served we should be one of the first. Now if we don't have too many trees that block the signal we should be good.

Terry

23-Oct-22
Well I got the starlink in April. Tried a number of different locations on top of the house on top of 20 ft. tall tower and nothing was optimum. About the best was 30 meg download and lots of interruptions. Netflix was good, buffered long enough to view without interruptions, but looking at anything interactive was not so good.

The solution was to have our tree guy climb a ponderosa pine near the house then top the tree and put the antenna on top of the tree with an unobstructed view of the northern sky. Results are now a 100- 125 meg download and no interruptions.

Terry

23-Oct-22
They told me it won’t work where I’m at. Hot spot it is

24-Oct-22
That is too bad. Starlink is 10 times faster than Viasat and cheaper too.

Terry

27-Oct-22
That’s what I’ve heard…..wish I could get it. One of the costs for living where I’m at, I guess.

31-Oct-22
Where do you live that you can't get it. I have only heard that the big cities are verboten.

Terry

31-Oct-22
Should have sent you a PM.

Terry

03-Nov-22
Got 3 inches of snow today. This would have been enough to require me to brush it off the Viasat dish to get back internet. Starlink has a built in heater to eliminate that problem.

Terry

04-Nov-22
I’m out in the area next to the national forest N/E of Pinetop-Lakeside.

06-Nov-22
BOHNTR, looks like you’re on the waiting list.

06-Nov-22

AZ8's embedded Photo
AZ8's embedded Photo

07-Nov-22

Coyote 65's Link
With the speed of the satellites they are throwing up there it should take no time to fill in the gaps.

https://satellitemap.space/#

Terry

30-Nov-22
Yeah, I'm definitely on the waiting list according to their map.

28-Dec-22
I was on the waiting list and got mine in 2 months. If you have a clear view of the sky, slightly north, you'll have reception. I love it... Ed F

28-Jun-23
BOHNTR, did you ever get it, or still on the waiting list?

Terry

28-Jun-23

29-Jun-23
Still on list.

05-Oct-23
Just did a speed test. Last time I did one was shortly after I put the antenna in the top of a pine tree. About a year ago. Speed then was 100 meg down, 10 up, dropped down to about 50 after everyone in the neighborhood got starlink. Results tonight was 225 down, 13 up. Up speed has not improved much, but I don't upload anything large except a picture now and then. Download speed is huge, but don't need that much. 50 meg down was getting me 1080p movies without buffering. I guess I could watch 4 at the same time without buffering.

Prior to starlink I was on Viasat. 12 meg down supposidly, but more like 5. And a download limit of 150 gig. Now I have no limits and I am still paying less a month than the Viasat.

Terry

• Sitka Gear