One Arrow 21-Feb-21
One Arrow 21-Feb-21
sitO 21-Feb-21
be still 21-Feb-21
One Arrow 21-Feb-21
sitO 21-Feb-21
doubledrop 22-Feb-21
20-Feb-21
I’m looking into purchasing an action camera. Specifically the tacticam 5.0 or the GoPro Hero 9.

I’ve watched videos, read views comparing the tacticam to GoPro Hero 7, not the 8 or 9. It seems the tacticam is the winner vs. the Hero 7. But the Hero 9 seems loaded with options including great video stabilization.

Any feedback on action cameras you use? I’ve been using a video camera, but would like to mount something onto my bow.

I’m fairly knowledgeable about video editing so I’m not worried about needing to zoom in with the GoPro if needed. I would think with the 5K it would be extremely clear even if I had to zoom it in x8. Thoughts?

20-Feb-21
Ray, I've no experience with the GP past the 4, and never used any other brand of "action cam". What I do know is that none of them have ever been able to compensate for hand shock at "release" when bow or gun mounted. The image stabilization is better with the 7 and on, but still compromised at the most crucial/important moment.

Can it be "smoothed" via editing, yes...some, but still not enough IMO. Over the shoulder or on a stick/tripod they're great, and I may try a 7 or newer for some hunts where those applications aren't an option.

Recording hunts has been an added challenge for me over the years. Some of the hunts I've recorded mean nothing to others but I don't care, they bring back great memories for me.

20-Feb-21

Cracken74's embedded Photo
Cracken74's embedded Photo
I just upgraded to mirrorless 4k camera. Hoping to get some good memories hunting with my kids as they are just starting.

20-Feb-21
Kyle, the image during the shot has always bothered me. The Hero9, if you can believe the company, seems to have made some pretty significant advances on stabilization.

You know all this But, the more I’ve tried to capture with larger cameras with tree arms, the more I struggle it seems. I’m always going to the woods last second it seems and making sure I have all my gear has been an issue... and then carrying everything is another.

This year, more than any, when I went out it was likely me jumping in the shower covered in grease and fuel and heading out to my stand based off a last second decision. I need something that will be reasonably light and the fewer “things” I have to carry in or attach to a tree the better... and fewer things to keep track of.

I agree about the memories. I can still vividly recall all my hunts, almost like watching them on TV, but it would be nice to show the kids and to replay shots. Especially this year.... I lost the biggest buck to date to coyotes. I didn’t see impact and didn’t have good blood the first 35 yards so backed out, HUGE REGRET, as we found him the next morning and he only went maybe 80 yards total. Footage of the shot would have been very useful.

I’ve got one good bow kill on video about 11 years ago. My wife actually videoed it, when we were still just dating, but it was an awesome from the ground hunt and it’s pretty cool to be able to play that back. How she took such great footage freehand is beyond me. Unfortunately, I don’t really know anyone that just wants to tag along to video and with two kids my wife can’t go.

I want/need to get my next “real” bow kill on video. Any help is appreciated.

21-Feb-21
I like my GA (Ground Attack) cell phone bow mount. Yes, shaky at moment of release but if you have lighted knocks you can see flight path of arrow from hunter to target no problem. KS company too!

21-Feb-21
I need to clarify... this will mostly be for when I ground hunt, would love to be able to eliminate the tree arm, but based off what Kyle said I don’t think I’ll be able to get great footage with just an action camera, but at least I’ll have something when I ground hunt.

When I’m in a tree it’s not as big an issue for me, although I’m not a fan of the extra gear. I went on several different stalks/ground hunts this past year... any time I was in the tree I had a camera, the times I was on the ground I never took one because I didn’t feel like I was able to make much movement due to the terrain and there was no realistic way for me to carry a camera and tripod. When I’m in a tree I could use the action camera as a second angle.

Thanks crested... I’ll look into that cellphone mount. Is the cell phone easily/quietly removable? I’m not on my cell a lot when I’m in the tree, but I would need to be able to communicate.

21-Feb-21
Just checked out that Ground Attack mount... that’s awesome. I’ll probably get one of those no matter what at this point

21-Feb-21
Ray I set up a small tripod behind me(camo Nikon) with my Canon HF G20 when I hunt from the ground. I never use a pop-up blind, usually tucked into the side of a cedar or just sitting on side of a tree, so the angle of the camera is "over my shoulder"(see attached turkey vid). You could just as easily use a GP in the same way, or with one of those little adjustable tripods you can affix to a branch behind you. The GP has several settings for FOV(Field of View), and I generally use the "Narrow" setting...this also works as an "over the shoulder" in a treestand, but even in the narrow setting objects will be smaller.

Maybe the biggest challenge is to be able to get the camera on with game approaching, even with the GP app running on phone. So, I've learned that turning it on early or just letting it or my big camera run for extended periods of time is the way to go. For instance, at about an hour before last light or the first hour of light, I will just turn it on and let it run. I don't always get footage of anything, but I don't miss anything if animals present themselves. Then I just delete the excess footage at home, or after the hunt, since it's a digital medium. You'll need fully charged batteries and lots of space on the SD or mini-SD most every hunt if that's the plan.

Go to 9:30min mark for the killin part:

21-Feb-21
I’m thinking about getting something different than my phone...or maybe get a better phone. Several times up there I get my phone out of my pocket only to have it shut off from the cold...hate that.

21-Feb-21
First off, awesome video!

Secondly, I’m thinking I now shouldn’t be so apprehensive about taking a tripod. I always figured it would stick out like a sore thumb. I don’t use a pop-up blind either (unless it’s with a child) and hunt much like you, tucked into cedars or sitting against a tree.

Do you camo your cameras?

21-Feb-21
I used to, but now I just hang a camo head/face cover over it. Plus I use Sitka so I'm pretty much invisible ;?)

22-Feb-21
Good stuff. I recently purchased a GoPro Hero 7 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and ability to zoom. With that said, I failed to use it much in the zoom this past season, but feel that feature is nice for the guy using it as a second angle camera. I also tested at the range and was happy with the shock or stability compared to one of the older models I had. I don't think they will ever be able to completely eliminate a bow mounted camera. I may be wrong. Another reason I think they can be mounted in a better location to capture as much as possible.

• Sitka Gear