CaptMike 03-Apr-21
happygolucky 03-Apr-21
Boomer1 05-Apr-21
Missouribreaks 05-Apr-21
Hoot 06-Apr-21
Hoot 06-Apr-21
CaptMike 06-Apr-21
23-Feb-21
Per the WDNR website all zones will be closed by Not Later than 3 PM Feb 24 2021. Some zones close at 10 AM. What lessons or takeaways do you think can be derived from this hunt that will have lasted less than 60 hrs ?

23-Feb-21
-Hounds are the most successful way to reduce the population. -The population is vastly under reported. -Tribal tags shouldn't be included in quota mumbers.

23-Feb-21
What lessons.... there’s more wolves out there than what they are telling us, lot’s more.

23-Feb-21
I just looked at the DNR website, 5:20PM today, it says only zones 2,5,&6 closing at 10:00AM on the 24th. It says zones 1,3,&4 are still open. Where were you seeing all zones closing on the 24th?

23-Feb-21
Lessons - The WI DNR is now in the business of suing/using the courts to stop hunting.

Take-a-ways- The WI DNR is now in the business of suing/using the courts to stop hunting.

Lessons- Hounds are very effective tool in Wolf management.

Take-A-Ways- The harvest quota should include all participants.

Lesson - The Season does not always have to start on November 1.

Take-A-Ways - The Season does not have to always start on November 1.

23-Feb-21

Wink501 's embedded Photo
DNR websites

23-Feb-21

DNR websites

23-Feb-21

oldhunter's Link
No big deal for me, but I just looked at the website again (5:550PM on my computer) and there it says 1,3,&4 open. Yours says updated at 3:00PM on my site it shows updated at 12:40PM . I am confused how the website can show two different things.

Forget it, it just now showed all zones closing on the 24th. Guess either there system or my computer took the long way around. Still strange!!!!

23-Feb-21
Mine shows Zones 1,3 4 open.

23-Feb-21
Why would they announce a closure for zone 1 with only 9 wolves taken out 31 allotted ?

23-Feb-21
How are they able to close a zone early when quota has not been met? Sounds rather odd to me. 1 and 4 are not even close.

23-Feb-21
1.they didnt want a wolf season in the 1st place.....2 zones 2 and 6 are OVER quota(maybe that has something to do with something)

23-Feb-21
Wolf kills have 24 hr to be reported so they are expecting much more overkill per kills not reported yet. Bummer for area 1 especially. Kill Shows way more wolves out there than DNR says. Also seems tag winners hunted further south (area 5) more as it is closer to home. Same with area 2. Area 1 which has a ton of wolves was more lightly hunted do to distance from most tagholders. Only my opinion but why would you go to Bayfield county if you can hunt good population in Black River Falls area. I am assuming most hunters drawn from south and central Wis.

23-Feb-21
As if the DNR can be trusted to tell the truth about the number of wolf harvests that have been reported. Not a single person should believe a damn thing that the DNR comes up with about the wolf situation. Other than the warden force, the DNR should be defunded period.

24-Feb-21
I’m sorry but closing a zone before the end of the season that has zero harvest’s is pure horse shit! If a zone is over adjust the quota for the next season. Being I hunt, trap, and live in zone 4 I would be pissed even more than I am if I had a tag and the DNR wrongly eliminates my opportunity to fill it.

The only reason hounds have been so successful is they have had absolutely perfect conditions to run in with the fresh wet snow. Come November if we have another season you will see the trappers shine with the conditions more favorable to them than this time of year.

24-Feb-21
DT ++1

24-Feb-21
Wolf hunters trappers especially this year needed to use all 24 hours to report. Not until they absolutely had to should we have reported. This would have extended the shut down time some.

24-Feb-21
Have to ask this. If I had a tag and report a kill do I have to check the carcass in? If not how's anyone gonna tell if I'm falsely reporting a kill.

24-Feb-21
Looking at all the wolf packs on the other thread, this season had zero impact on thinning of wolves. Basically useless up north.

24-Feb-21
I agree, the DNR from now on really needs to be watched and questioned. For them to go against a hunting season is angering for sure. No reason to close the season when the quotas were not met. Hopefully a lesson learned if there is another hunt, wait till the time limit is up for registration before registering. Also, knowing the tribe is not going to utilize there tags, they should set the quota higher. But, with the new DNR, I doubt it would ever be considered. Good that the hunt happened, bad that it showed the upcoming battles we have for hunting when a states DNR goes against it in court.

24-Feb-21
Live 2hunt x2

24-Feb-21

Nocturnal II's embedded Photo
Nocturnal II's embedded Photo
As of 8:30 this morning.

24-Feb-21
Wow !!! Absolutely amazing ! A harvest this large after only 48 hours by hunters who had to jump into it midweek, with no scouting or prep work. I think this clearly illustrates how many wolves we have across our state. I believe the DNRs “minimum estimate” is so far off it should be a complete embarrassment to them.

24-Feb-21
Just a question Do you think any anti hunters with a tag ( wolf patrol ) called in harvest just to influence the harvest numbers ? I thing in person registration should have been put in place , Just my thoughts

24-Feb-21
I wouldnt put it past them to do such. DNR should contact all registrants and get some confirmation like a picture. Its only 135+, not impossible. Just to maintain any integrity of harvest numbers going forward.

24-Feb-21
They have to have the carcass validated like bobcats so they would get caught. Probably most wouldn't think that far ahead however.

The previous seasons the quotas were adjusted/closed when other zones exceeded quota to try and ensure the overall quota wasn't exceeded. This year five and possibly all six zones will be exceeded.

24-Feb-21
Thanks for clarifying skookumjt. I wasn’t aware that they have to have the carcass validated

24-Feb-21
When I trapped my wolf in 2014 I had to tag it skin it , tag the carcass and take it to a warden to have the pelt tagged. I trapped a 70# female and wrote the biologist for her age, how many litters she's had, etc. I was told I can't get that info as it was privileged information WTF was up with that!

24-Feb-21
Skook, did you get one?

24-Feb-21
No. Had one work a set (scent post) this morning but didn't get him.

24-Feb-21
Come on Zone 1 !!!!!

24-Feb-21
Come on Zone 1 !!!!!

24-Feb-21
Total Quota 119 /// Kill as of 1:51PM 162 still time for a few more to call in.

24-Feb-21
Zone* Quota** Harvest Status

Zone 1 31 28 Closing at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24

Zone 2 18 39 Closed

Zone 3 20 26 Closing at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24

Zone 4 6 6 Closing at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24

Zone 5 27 26 Closed

Zone 6 17 37 Closed

24-Feb-21
Let’s assume there are 1000 wolves in state and we kill 200. If the remaining 800 are 50% females and a female wolf has typically 4-6 pups a year.

400 females could produce 1600-2400 pups

Hard to see how this hunt can stabilize the population unless the mortality rate of pups is very very low

24-Feb-21
This harvest was not meant to impact the wolf population. When the new wolf plan is finished later this year, the management level will be much higher than 350 wolves as the 1999 plan states. In my opinion, the new management level will be so high that only a token harvest like we just had this week will be permitted moving forward. And that's a big if since the current administration could re-enlist the wolf and make the situation even more dire.

24-Feb-21
The harvest numbers seem to indicate that we have a much larger wolf population that covers a much wider area of the state than originally thought. There is just no way a handful of hunters, with no preparation or time to scout can have that much success in so little time unless they are in a target rich environment. The WDNR has no clue and has been willfully ignorant to what the real wolf population is. They have been feeding everyone a bunch of garbage for years.

24-Feb-21
That's a fact Wink501!

24-Feb-21
OMG! they went over the quota...they are going to be extinct

24-Feb-21
I think there are twice as many wolves in the State than the DNR estimates. I have pictures of packs with 8-10 wolves from areas where the DNR says the packs are 4-5. That casual empiricism and the fact that the quota was met in about a day speaks to the true number of wolves. Unfortunately I think the truth is that the DNR and NRB really don't care much for hunters or hunting anymore. Hunting seems to be falling lower and lower on their priority list. Just my opinion.

24-Feb-21
Fyi-only a small portion of the population breed. I believe none of the sub-adults and just the alpha adults. Maybe the next tier of hierarchy?

24-Feb-21
In a little over 60 hrs, a handful of hunters took 178 wolves. I wish our Northern buck harvest was that good.

24-Feb-21
The DNR probably will not want to use there SAK numbers for figuring the wolf count. 161 shot in about 1 day? Makes you wonder how many are around you while in the woods?

25-Feb-21
I'm sure there will be more than 178 as they have 24 hours to register.

25-Feb-21
Do locals hunt them anyway? I'm not trying to start something or incriminate anyone, but why aren't people just shooting them anyways?

I always hear about the guys who take advantage of the phone in registration for deer, and how many unreported deer are likely taken. Wouldn't this apply for wolf as well, or is the wolf very similar to the coyote, where we all know their numbers are ridiculously high, but there's not enough people doing anything about it? The distrust I read about the DNR would lead me to believe that some people would eventually cut ties with them, go rogue, and do as they see fit? I'll be honest with you. I live in the southern part of the state. Our coyote population is way over what it should be, yet I don't actively hunt or trap them. Is there really that many people who know the wolf is overpopulated, who have the same mindset? Is it happening? Are people really worried about getting caught with a fine so low? Are they only hunting when it's legal to get the trophy?

I'm being facetious to a degree, and I'm also being serious. If you know there is a problem, and you're not getting the support. When is it time to take the law into your own hands? I realized that private land owners were far better at managing deer (well at least growing them), when they stopped listening to the CWD scare tactics that were supported by the DNR. Land owners said enough, and whether it's right or wrong, they decided to stop the eradication of deer. Perhaps the opposite needs to happen in the north against the Wolf, to bring back the deer?

Please don't blast me. I'm just making conversation. I'm telling no one to do something they shouldn't. Perhaps I'm suggesting they do something they should? LOL!

25-Feb-21

Drop Tine's Link
Skook maybe in Alaska that holds true. Here in WI. the average pack size is 3.6 animals. Each pack will have a breeding pair.

25-Feb-21
I don’t believe here in Wisconsin the average pack is 3.6 the Echo Valley pack in Northern Bayfield county at one time was 17 wolves

25-Feb-21
Drop Tine...At the very bottom of your link, the publication shows the author and source...., In my opinion R. Thiel and the WDNR no longer should enjoy the blind trust we once placed in them with regards to this matter.

25-Feb-21
I believe that I saw the DNR stated that the average pack size in WI is six.

Very glad to see that Zone 1 came through with more numbers. As of this morning, Zone 1 was at 50

25-Feb-21
I believe that I saw the DNR stated that the average pack size in WI is six.

Very glad to see that Zone 1 came through with more numbers. As of this morning, Zone 1 was at 50

25-Feb-21
213 taken in a short amount of time, great job hunters. It's a start, again it shows the amount there are actually out there.

25-Feb-21
Pete , to answer your your question about people shooting Wolves. I hear about it at the range , gunshows , & bars . Last year I ran into a bowhunter in the woods . We were comparing Deer notes & I noticed that 3 arrows in his quiver matched & the 4th arrow didn't .

I asked him if he found that arrow ? He said no that's my Wolf arrow & laughed.

25-Feb-21
Got back late last night after a great wolf hunt. Although I did not harvest one, we had a very successful hunt. I was about 80 yards away from one wolf that slipped past me on the other side of a river. We were seconds late hoofing into a pinch point on another one. We trailed SEVERAL wolves that got away. All in all, very good couple of days though. The local hunters that run coyotes in that area had a very big advantage - they were dialed in with gear and tactics. We were learning as we went given the VERY short time frame. (Literally learning the first day of season whether you had a tag....)

My take aways: 1) It is correct as already stated that conditions were VERY good for hound hunting - nearly ideal. 2) The best weapon for hound hunting them is 12ga with buckshot. 3) Next time (*fingers crossed that there IS a "next time") I will have my trapper certification and also put out traps. One of the groups in the area caught at least 3 with traps. It is also a very effective strategy. 4) If there is snow next time, bring a snowmobile and snowshoes! 5) There are WAY more wolves than what the DNR is reporting. The harvest number is at 213 as I write this - Someone would have to explain how a 2 or 2.5 day, slap dash hunt could kill more than 20% of any animal herd - I don't care how ideal the conditions were. The Federal Warden in the area was thrilled about the hunt and supported it 100% stating he knew there were too many wolves. The State Warden, on the other hand, claimed that the population estimates were "TOO HIGH" and stated there won't be a hunt now for several years because this hunt was too successful. BRAINWASHED!!!

Fact of the matter, TOO MANY DNR EMPLOYEES ARE NON-HUNTERS. How can ONE state agency be tasked with such varied duties from drinking water and wastewater treatment plant regulation to forestry to game management??? The answer - IT CANNOT. It is over due that we create a Game and Fish Dept that is split off the DNR. It is time that the "Party of Science" follow the f#*king science (last time I checked, Biology was 'science') and get the state wolf pack at 350 or 400 wolves as was originally planned.

I do not live in that area and have never deer hunted north of Baraboo so I don't have a horse in that race. I am just speaking based on my experiences this week knowing the numbers of tracks we saw versus the number of wolves harvested. (Not to mention that no sane dog hunter would dump on a track with 4 or more wolves so larger packs were left to the trappers. They got their wolves, don't get me wrong, but like already mentioned this time around dog hunters definitely had the advantage.)

25-Feb-21
218 I was just told.

Yes, lots of wolves are dying every year.

I don't believe the pack size info either but even if 6 is correct, that's one breeding female per six wolves.

25-Feb-21
$330.00 fine. That's less than the max for poaching deer. Not bad.

25-Feb-21
I was on the CC wolf committee for a few years and in that time the average pack size was always under 4.

So provide data that shows otherwise. The largest pack I’ve come across is 4 by tracks in the snow. They followed me about 1/3rd of a mile when I was coyote hunting. Came across the tracks On mine on my way back out.

They were all single file for a ways and then spread out in a path about 60 yards wide while I was being investigated/hunted. They then grouped back up and left for parts unknown.

25-Feb-21

Milwroad's embedded Photo
Milwroad's embedded Photo
How about this pack of 9 or is this two packs playing together

25-Feb-21
Drop Tine, first off I meant disrespect to you. I have agreed with you and have respected your input on many topics. By the WDNRs own count there are 256 packs in WI on non tribal lands . Multiply 256 Packs x 4 wolves per pack and we get the count of 1024 which is consistent with DNRs most recent (minimum) population estimate. Based on my own observations I believe the statewide wolf population estimate is far more 1024 wolves on non tribal lands. Based on the brevity and harvest numbers of this most recent hunt I can only hypothesize that: 1) More than 256 documented packs exist on WI non tribal lands or, 2) The average size of WI wolf packs are greater > than 4 wolves per pack. ,

25-Feb-21
Skookumjt when your set your traps was it as described below? LOL

"Traps are set like landmines for unsuspecting animals and the hunters are deep into the woods and out of the range of communication, and they can easily claim they didn't get the 'stop the hunt' notice before they killed their wolf," he said.

25-Feb-21
I was surrounded by 6 wolves in Clark Co. The Bear bluff pack had a total of 9 at one time.

MjF 17 wolves would be freaking scary to cross paths with!

I saw a trail cam a few years back where there were 28 coyotes in one 15 second video clip from a guy who hunt Oneida co.

25-Feb-21
Milwroad. Just a family group that showed up for the buffet.

25-Feb-21
Wink

The successes of the hound hunters tells me while the DNR’s pack estimate may be in the ball park so to speak. There are a far greater number of singles or lone pairs out there. No houndsman would turn his dogs into a pack of 3 or more wolves. He would only get his collars back doing so. To fill and surpass the quota that quickly tells me there is no shortage of like I said lone or paired up wolves making for easy opportunities.

25-Feb-21
Drop Tine, Thanks for the explanation and your patience. Wink

25-Feb-21
My information came from a local wolf biologist at the time. Very interesting how big these packs can get.

25-Feb-21
Can only imagine the destruction of that pack. How many deer or bear would they have to consume a week. Thats a super pack.

Id imagine a few deer a week. Im no expert. Maybe more. I read a wolf consumes on average 49 deer a year? Anyone know? Is that correct?

25-Feb-21
I have seen several pictures of between 7-11 wolves in a group during hunting season here ib Rusk County. I have pictures of six separate wolves from a trail camera that has a 30 second delay. I have to assume there were wolves between the first three and the last three going down the road 30 seconds apart

During cat season I followed fresh tracks up winter road)old J that showed 8 distinct wolves.

I also have tons of pictures of singles and pairs. I would believe an average of 4-6 but that means some are much bigger.

25-Feb-21
Pack sizes really fluctuate from year to year. MjF and Hoot mentioned in earlier posts when they talked about the Echo Valley Pack that got as high as 17 and then seemingly disappeared. Many counties have ten or more packs (some pushing 20) and even the experts struggle to keep up with them as far as pack size, range, and even if the pack exists anymore. A wildlife biologist stated this year that he didn't know if the Flag River pack still existed, all the while this pack was serenading me every morning at about 8:00 from my tree stand as it has since before the wolf reintroduction. Others bowhunters in this area had the pack move through in late October and there were eight. They are a difficult animal to study.

I'm sure the average pack size was deemed to be less than 4 wolves by the same people who testified that the deer herd in northern WI is in great shape.

25-Feb-21
There are 256 wolf packs (lets say only 6 per pack) in the state that they know about which would mean 1,536 wolves. I do know first hand there are many packs they don't mention. Like DT mentioned I'd hate to guess how many loners and pairs are on the landscape. I believe they hardly scratched the surface this season.

25-Feb-21

Muskybuck's Link
If you guys want to read some interesting info on wolves and their behaviors, read the Voyageur Wolf Project. The GPS tracking was amazing as it showed how territorial these 5-6 wolf packs in the area were as they only stayed in their own areas and rarely overlapped. Dispersal distances of two releases lone males was incredible.

25-Feb-21
Musky, the picture I posted above is the group serenading you every morning!. 9 in that picture, who knows what was off camera.

25-Feb-21
Their study says there were 58 wolves in Zone 6 last April. That zone is about 3/4 the State of Wisconsin. Hunters killed 40 wolves in 2 days in that zone.

Does anyone really believe that hunters could have killed 69% of the wolves in that zone in 2 days? Must be some pretty darn efficient killers !!!!

25-Feb-21
Milwroad-That would make sense because the bow hunters from MN said they had 8 come through this fall. How big will that pack be next fall when pups are added? A few years back there was an incredible video of a large pack of wolves circulating on social media with the caption: Moquah Barrens. Maybe MjF remembers it too. Anyway, there was a guy from Port Wing who used to post here occasionally and he told me that the video was actually from west of the Flag on the Hwy. A side. That pack has always been huge.

25-Feb-21
Yes, and I think there is another pack east of the east fork as well. The picture I posted is from the east side of the west fork.

25-Feb-21
Can someone explain how running hounds to get wolves work? What I have read your looking for a single set of tracks or maybe a pair to let the hounds out. Once they are on the trail what happens next.?

25-Feb-21
I have the same question Boone. I thought the wolves were hound killers to the bear hunters. What is done differently?

26-Feb-21
I was just talking to a hound hunter who's group got a few wolves and he said he has no problem releasing dogs on a pack. Hes said the wolves scatter when they're chased

26-Feb-21
Treegeek - Wolves will bay up and then shot.

26-Feb-21
Like Hoot said, and especially in the deep snow, wolves will bay up and the hunter gets there as quick as they can. We put dogs on one group of 3, and one group of 2, all other times it was singles.

25-Mar-21

Missouribreaks's Link
As expected.

25-Mar-21
Wolf pelts are in bad shape in spring? Hogwash. First Feb is not spring. Second any experienced trapper can attest that late winter, early spring pelts are the best that time of year. From Muskrats to beaver, fox etc. That's prime pelt time. Did this Chippewa group inspect the pelts? Of course not.

25-Mar-21
Would you expect anything different in today's world? Also, that was not me who was the spokesman for that tribe, LOL.

25-Mar-21
Re-printed from the WI State Journal-Madison, WI

From Luke Hilgeman CEO of Hunter Nation- The group that sued the WI DNR on behalf of WI Hunters

There are a plethora of stories circulating right now, reporting Wisconsin wolf hunters exceeded the Department of Natural Resources' harvest quota by more than 50%. This statistic however, is grossly misleading and has created a false narrative that deserves clarity.

The reality is Wisconsin's wolf hunt quota was 200 for the 2021 season and the number of officially harvested wolves was 216. That is less than 10% over the season quota — not 50%.

The confusion and misleading data stems from the fact that the DNR approved a statewide quota of 200 wolves and then Native American tribes declared their portion of the quota in the ceded territory, approximately the northern one-third of Wisconsin. These tribes did not harvest any wolves.

Confusing the public further, the DNR has been telling two very different stories about the exact same harvest quota overage of 10%. In announcing the October 2020 bear hunt results, the DNR positioned the hunt as a success going so far as to state, "What's not captured in harvest information are the countless memories made among families and friends and all the hours spent outside taking in Wisconsin's wonderful outdoors. The bear hunting tradition in Wisconsin is very strong, and interest in the activity continues to grow."

Yet, for the exact same harvest quota overage of 10% for wolves this February, Eric Lobner, DNR wildlife director said, "Should we, would we, could we have (closed the season) sooner? Yes. Did we go over? We did. Was that something we wanted to have happen? Absolutely not."

The simple fact is wolves are strong, smart and vicious predators. They are not endangered; the gray wolf population is alive and well and has been consistently increasing. Wolves are to be respected and revered, however, too many of any species — particularly predators — can wreck the entire ecosystem. Sound scientific wildlife management is critical to conservation and sustainability of a species. In a brief on wildlife sustainability, the Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies explained, "When well-regulated, the use of abundant wildlife is sustainable and ecologically sound. Using wildlife sustainably not only ensures that future generations will continue to benefit from these resources, but also that wildlife populations will remain in balance with the environment."

In Wisconsin, the population became unmanaged and overpopulated, resulting in a population nearly four times the DNR's goal. Moreover, wolf attacks had increased by 70% since 2014. That isn't just a statistic, it is Wisconsinites cattle and livelihood being destroyed, family dogs being devoured on the front porch and in backyards, and worse. There was a clear need for swift and immediate action to manage the wolf population in Wisconsin, which is still significantly higher than what the DNR dictates it should be. The DNR estimated the current wolf population to be approximately 1,195 wolves and the state goal for the population is 350 wolves.

It's important to note as well that the population estimate of 1,195 wolves in Wisconsin is a minimum count. That's why the wolf hunt lasted just 39 hours, because we have significantly more wolves than the DNR thought we had.

At minimum, the wolf population still stands at just under 1,000 wolves, still close to three times the state goal.

25-Mar-21
Re-printed from the WI State Journal-Madison, WI

Here is Adrian “The Wolf Whisper” Wydeven’s take about the Wolf Hunt

CABLE — Luke Hilgemann of Hunter Nation claimed in a column last Sunday that the February wolf hunt in Wisconsin did not go over its harvest quota by much, and that the hunt was based on sound science.

He's wrong on both counts.

The February wolf harvest quota set by the Department of Natural Resources was initially 200 wolves. But that was reduced to 119, when 81 wolves from the total quota were reserved by Ojibwe tribes within the Ceded Territories of northern Wisconsin, under treaty-reserved rights to utilize natural resources to protect tribal interests. The DNR issued wolf harvest permits and attempted to close the season soon enough to hold the wolf harvest to 119, but in less than three days, hunters registered 216 wolves -- exceeding the established quota by 82%. The number of wolves registered does not include illegal and unregistered kills, which always occur during hunting seasons. This is also much higher than the overharvest of 13% on bears that occurred in fall 2020. The idea that 200 wolves should actually have been harvested by licensed hunters ignores the validity of treaty rights held by the Ojibwe tribes. These rights are supposed to be the supreme law of the land.

Hilgemann writes that, “Sound scientific wildlife management is critical to conservation and sustainability of a species.” No reasonable person can disagree with that. But little science supported the rushed wolf hunt held in February.

Hilgemann writes that “too many of any species -- particularly predators -- can wreck the entire ecosystem.” While the overabundance of herbivores such as deer can certainly raise havoc on forests, the best available science show apex predators such as wolves are important for regulating ecosystems, and they typically control their own numbers through territoriality. No science shows apex predators wreck ecosystems. While wolves do cause depredations on a small number of Wisconsin farms, scientific studies in Montana and Wisconsin have demonstrated that the most effective way to reduce such depredations is by direct controls on the farms, not statewide wolf harvests. Based on preliminary evidence, most wolf removal during the February hunt occurred primarily by the use of packs of hounds hunting large blocks of public land, which is unlikely to reduce wolf activity around homes and farms where depredations almost always occur.

The Wisconsin wolf population is not four times above the DNR goal for wolves. Hilgemann compares the population management goal of 350 animals established in the 1999 wolf plan to the most recent population estimate of 1,195 wolves from winter 2020.

The 2020 estimate of 1,195 wolves is not a minimum count. It’s an estimate of the actual population of wolves in Wisconsin in late winter through occupancy modeling. The minimum statewide count in 2020 was 1,034 wolves. The management goal for 350 wolves established in the 1999 wolf plan was never intended to be a cap and is no longer an appropriate goal for the Wisconsin wolf population. The goal set in 1999 was based on the estimated carrying capacity of about 500 wolves in Wisconsin at a time when less than 200 wolves were estimated to be in the state. Recent scientific research demonstrates the carrying capacity for wolves may be about 1,250 wolves. The DNR does not manage bears or deer with 20-year-old goals, and it is inappropriate to do the same for wolves.

The rapid harvest of wolves was not because more wolves were in the state than detected through surveys. It was because of the high number of permits issued, and because most hunting occurred with the use of packs of hounds by large, coordinated groups of hunters, during a period when wolf packs were breeding and leaving scent and tracks as they patrolled their territories. Any of the usual sporting ethics of fair chase were absent from this event. This may have been the first hunt in Wisconsin’s history where the number of hunters was greater than the number of animals being hunted.

The Wisconsin wolf population may no longer be endangered. But forcing a rushed harvest during the breeding season without careful use of science may create impacts on the population that will take years to understand. This hunt represented poor use of science and was an insult to sound conservation of the state wolf population.

25-Mar-21
Interesting perspectives on both sides. What really matters is where the non hunting public voter sentiment will rest.

25-Mar-21
And how the advertisers for the democratic party (media) promotes it.

25-Mar-21
And to think there are hunters who voted for the liberal dem party. Let's see what their party and mainstream media has to say.

25-Mar-21
If you vote democrat you shouldn't be hunting. You obviously don't have the ability to make sound decisions.

25-Mar-21
Any hunter who voted for the recent Liberal Dems has become an anti hunter.

25-Mar-21
You guys paint with a very, very broad brush. Label a group. No facts just paint over it.

26-Mar-21
If the 11 tribes of Chippewa want to protect their sacred Mazina'igan, why doesn't the State hand over the wolf damage fees to them. I'd imagine the sacredness of their wolves would go south like wooded bows, teepees and canoes. If we ignored the spearing and night deer hunting, they'd give that up too. Long live the mighty casino dollar.

>

Adrian “The Wolf Whisper” Wydeven. Every time I hear his name, I throw up in my mouth a little. He is the poster boy of our Mid level DNR problems. What a Turd.

26-Mar-21
One inch at a time, here and in the west, game management will be under greater influence by the tribes. The sentiment is they were the original keepers of the game. You know that resonates well with todays liberals in the offices of game management. Some of you actually voted for this.

01-Apr-21

Boomer1's Link
I wonder why the DOJ and DNR didn't send a press release about people interfering with the wolf hunt, or any hunt each year. Apparently, it's OK for people to protest and interfere with our hunting but not the tribes.

01-Apr-21
Especially considering they do not openly and even have a name for their gang.

02-Apr-21
Tribes and all other minority groups will always be favored, this is what some of you voted for when you cast your Lib votes.

02-Apr-21
Indigenous people are keepers of natural resources ! Ha good one, Try to find a deer on tribal lands, Try fishing for walleye where they spear ! Wonder why the Minocqua chain has been closed to keeping ANY WALLEYE for years ? Why bag limits on all speared lakes has gone down ? GREAT STEWARDS

02-Apr-21
It was a lib judge that said no to spearing in Wisconsin. It then went to the fed level, but I’m having trouble determining which three judges allowed it to go through.

02-Apr-21
I thought it was determined by judge Judy Crab(?) a very liberal judge?

02-Apr-21
I believe Gov Doyle’s father was the judge that shot it down. It then went to appeals court and got overturned.

02-Apr-21

Boomer1's Link
"Tribal members rely on these lakes to preserve their cultural heritage and which also act as a vital food source for their communities"

The DNR really is cheerleading the season this year. Why can't the DNR just shut up and not remind fishermen this is happening? If it would just be ignored, they probably would just get bored because of no uproar and stop.

I wonder if tossing the fish in dumpsters is included in their cultural heritage.

I better stop or the liberal Bowsite gestapo will hunt me down for hate crimes against the indigenous peoples of Wisconsin.

02-Apr-21
Two words:

"White Guilt"

02-Apr-21
I would also recommend that people read or learn a bit of History as many of the tribes fought fiercely amongst themselves as they did with the "white man"

The Lakotas/Sioux and the Objibwe fought many times most notable is the Battle of the Brule.

The Chippewa and Sioux/Lakotas waged fierce fights against each others in the mid 1750's.

The Sioux/Lakota and the Pawnees battled in what was named Massacre Canyon in 1873.

Few probably know it was the white man who negotiated the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1851 between the Cheyenne, Sioux, Arapaho, Crow, Assiniboine, Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara as attempt to bring peace between the tribes.

Sadly history has become the tale only of the discretions of the evil white man.

HF43

02-Apr-21
Judge Barbara Crabb will always be in infamy in WI and not in a good way. A very early ice out up north does not bode well for the Walleye and Musky populations in the ceded territory.

02-Apr-21
First I think it's horrendous that spawning muskellunge can be speared. That should be lobbied against and made species specific. Horrible. Judge Crabb identified independent. Appointed by President Carter. (D). She ruled for honoring the treaty that was granted and agreed upon in 18??. One of the few treaties the government was forced to honor by her ruling. Don't blame the natives the government wanted to quash it like almost all the other treaties. She said not so fast both parties acted in good faith. She said it stands but left open for both parties to renegotiate or/and compensation ($) to reach a new agreement. The tribes said nope citing the 87% of previous treaties not honored with them. But remember they were here way way way before Europeans then we thru force wanted it. All of it. When they resisted we countered with treaties. You can't render those treaties moot on grounds that it interfers with sport fishing. Things should change I agree but trying to undo a treaty isn't the way to go about it. IMHO

02-Apr-21
The tribes continue to get coddled and are given more or they pout. A few years ago, they were PO'ed about the wolf hunt and decided to shoot an elk even though the DNR said no. There had been no elk hunts then. They did this a 2nd time too due to the wolf hunt. Then, they selected their highest quota ever for spearing, still PO'ed about the wolves. They try to use that quota as leverage basically every year.

The tribes can run casinos while non-tribes cannot. The tribes can shoot deer at night over bait while others cannot. Damn near every Native American can attend college for basically free but most choose to wallow in alcoholism. They have choices but are given special treatment still. Barbara Crabb will always suck in Wisconsin lore.

02-Apr-21
No argument from me. The casinos are on their own land so.....the rest? They are no angels I agree. I can't label all of them that way. Like any society they have their bad apples for sure.

02-Apr-21
When I was in college (the height of the spearing protests and PARR) I did a research paper on treaty rights. I got a copy of the treaties and found the language that is ignored. It includes the fact that alcohol and tobacco are illegal for the tribes and that any group of 4? males adolescent age or older could be considered a war party and be shot on site. My native american studies professor hated me for bringing it to the attention of the young minds he was trying to indoctrinate but he had no alternative to giving me an A on the paper because I could back up my position.

03-Apr-21
Barbara Crabb, definitely a lib judge. “Their own land so...” Then it is okay for me to own “assault weapons” on my own land? Can I also manufacture meth if on my “own land?” Can I possess nukes on my “own land?”

03-Apr-21
The casinos are on their own land so

When you say they own the land, do you mean the portion where the casino is or are you referring to their rights on the ceded territory? Potawatomi is in Milwaukee. There are casinos in Madison and Green Bay. Not all casinos are in the ceded territory. I agree with all the points Capt. Mike made in regard to owned land. That argument is pointless. Plenty of non-Indians could own land and put up casinos if allowed. Isn't this a form a racism?

How about some hypocrisy while were at it and in the wolf thread. Part of the tribes' anger and contention with the recent wolf hunt was that females were killed after they had been impregnated. Yet, they have no issue with killing deer during breeding season or putting a spear in the back of the 20+ year old Musky ready to spawn. Oh the hypocrisy.

05-Apr-21
I would mind the casinos if we could regulate and tax them. I believe they would stop the spearing and night hunting if we'd say we were going to do that. Boomer1 for Gov, 2022!

05-Apr-21
Good posts Happy.

06-Apr-21

06-Apr-21

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Wolves change rivers

06-Apr-21
Amazing how quickly liberals disappear when confronted with facts that negate their emotions.

• Sitka Gear