Live2Hunt 08-Mar-21
xtroutx 08-Mar-21
huntnfish43 08-Mar-21
Jeff in MN 10-Mar-21
Live2Hunt 10-Mar-21
huntnfish43 10-Mar-21
Cheesehead Mike 10-Mar-21
24-Feb-21
Now that the Feb 2021 wolf hunt is in the books. How do you think the DNR will react to or spin the results ?

24-Feb-21
Same way as the explain all hunting harvests. Too cold, too warm, too much snow, not enough snow, perfect hunting conditions, not so perfect. You know the drill. Oh. don't forget covid, they will work that in too

24-Feb-21
I am hoping the quick and successful harvest along with the robust numbers serve as the foundation for future hunts conducted without controversy.

24-Feb-21
It’s come to the attention of DNR personnel that they severely underestimated the rabid and highly effective and timely response of the Wisconsin hunter when it comes to pursuing and killing wolfs. There will have to be creative safe guards (reduce time, compensating quota adjustments, method and hours of take and others concepts), put in place to prevent a similar disastrous over quota kill, like happen during the Feb 21 hunt season.

24-Feb-21
But we are not over the quota of 200. So all is good.

Great job to all those the participants.

24-Feb-21
That was the combined quota of all parties. The settlers clearly infringed on the clans quota, by legally following all criteria set forth for this hunt, thus the strongest reason to rework the process. Needs to be tweak Wolfs Lives Matter.

::/// I support no separation of quotas following the lead of Pres. Bijden mandate of Unity One America ! TreAt the clans and the settlers the same.let by gones be by gones were all one big homogenous family. Anything else propagates racist hate.

25-Feb-21
Congrats to the hunters.

25-Feb-21
In 2013 and 2014 trappers harvested 70% and 81% of the wolves, mostly in early season. What might the harvest break down be for trapping, dogs, and sitters for this February 3 day season?

25-Feb-21
No doubt the DNR narrative of the wolf hunt/harvest will be coming directly from the East Wing of the Capital, now that politics have been removed from wildlife management. My thanks to all who participated and congratulation's to those who were successful.

HF43

25-Feb-21
The season May NOT be over yet if it was challenged. It is a little known fact that if someone was going to being charged for killing a wolf before the delisting the case was quickly stalled or bargained if the person asked for a DNA test on the wolf. They have found that a great percentage of wolves are hybrids mixed with dogs and yotes. These hybrids do not fall under the endangered species list or the hunt. Edit... When i saw Hoot post this ''When I trapped my wolf in 2014 I had to tag it skin it , tag the carcass and take it to a warden to have the pelt tagged. I trapped a 70# female and wrote the biologist for her age, how many litters she's had, etc. I was told I can't get that info as it was privileged information WTF was up with that!"" I'm sure the Hybrid issues is why. The WDNR wants to keep is little known FACT under lids.

25-Feb-21
Arrow1 - I do know one thing, I wouldn't have the DNR do the DNA testing. lol

25-Feb-21
The media is sure painting an ugly picture. They have a way of reporting the facts but in an intentionally "loaded" fashion. Madison.com "Wolf hunters vastly exceed Wisconsin quota" Wisconsin State Journal "Hunters Kill 15% of Wisconsin Wolves" Milwaukee Journal "Wisconsin Hastily Arranged Wolf Hunt and Trapping Season ended with Many more Wolves killed than quota" Minneapolis Star Tribune "Hunters and Trappers blow past Wisconsin Wolf Kill Target"

25-Feb-21
Hoot,,,, I hear ya.... Milroad,,,,, Would you expect anything different ???? (: Liberal fake news.... You don't see them spin how quick the harvest was,,,, that maybe the wdnr has under estimated the population. Remember years ago the wdnr spun the program at a limit of only 350 wolves. From there they have change their agenda year after year.... The WDNR is NOT a friend of the sportperson in Wis.

25-Feb-21
^^ agree. Just another dept wasting our money made up of useless degree driven attitudes. A few good foot solders but a majority don't want to leave a computer chair.

25-Feb-21
Arrow 1 is right on about the WDNR! And yep I do remember the 350 number kicked around and even way before that numbers such as 100 were mentioned if I"m not mistaken. Funny how when it's to their advantage for a program science is always mentioned to validate it, but when science validates the need for a controlled wolf hunt then it's a different tune played out.

25-Feb-21
The low-ball number (350) was used to get their foot in the door (public support) knowing once the wolves made a comeback they would never adhere to those numbers. I guess when they lecture us about using real science, it's what they decide is real science. Media is just as bad and should be ashamed.

25-Feb-21
Yep I agree.

25-Feb-21
I certainly hope the DNR explains to the public the wolf population is not in jeopardy. They set the harvest quota at 200 total animals which in their own pre-hunt words would not have any significant affect the States wolf population. A hunters racial heritage has no biological effect on the harvest numbers.

25-Feb-21
Easy... The over quotas will result in a cry for more research and studies.... This will put a halt to hunting wolves again for some time. Common sense will again get buried alive with drama and politics. Same old crap.....

25-Feb-21
I believe it’s the WDNRs duty to provide timely, truthful and factual information and to quash any fake news narratives. Let see if they live up to that obligation.

25-Feb-21
I don't want to be that person that complains about everything but I am beginning to wonder if anyone at the DNR actually gets out into the woods or on the lakes these days? I know a few do but I don't think enough do. Their conclusions are so wildly at odds with field reports from hunters that I am beginning to think they draw conclusions based on video games they play in their offices.

25-Feb-21
2019 DNR's occupancy model for wolf population put the number at as high as 1,500. So 200+ wolves are harvested this week putting the population at 1,200-1,300.

I don't see a problem there at all. The only problem I see are two huge problems: the Feds re-enlisting and the upcoming new wolf plan. The plan will be ugly.

26-Feb-21

MjF's embedded Photo
MjF's embedded Photo
All I have to say is they are....

26-Feb-21

Pasquinell's Link
Over shot by 80% says DNR

26-Feb-21
I could have been a lot more if the successful hunters would have waited until the 23rd hour to register.

27-Feb-21
Although it would be nice, I really doubt the DNR (or the outdoor writers who are also paid to mislead) will be honest with the public about what the wolf population really is or that this season (even though harvest numbers went over) did nothing to reduce the population. The DNR will make it seem like the little bit hunters went over quota was a terrible thing, likely they will blame hunters as they always do, and I wouldn't put it past them to advocate to introduce a few more wolves into Wisconsin to replace the ones that were killed. Some of you must be new to Wisconsin to think the DNR gives a rat's ass about hunters, landowners, or even wildlife IMO. It's all about the love of trees and money for "our" DNR.

27-Feb-21
HR, I couldn’t agree more. Our DNR talks so much about hunter recruitment but cares and does nothing about hunter retention.

27-Feb-21
I look at as they exceeded the harvest by 19 animals. The tribes were issued 81 tags, so even if they didn't use them we made up difference as the projected goal was 200 wolves harvested.

27-Feb-21
In all reality we were within 19 animals of the 200 quota. This was accomplished quickly, safely, and before the February 28 deadline. In the real world that would be something to celebrate. I believe however the DNR will treat this hunt like it’s an existential threat to the wolf population. It’s going take another hunter group, like the one who recently beat the DNR in court to set the record straight again.

03-Mar-21

Boomer1's Link
"How will WDNR spin Wolf Hunt ?"

By starting another committee, Wolf Management Plan Committee (WMPC), to work with the Wolf Harvest Advisory Committee (WHAC) with input of the Wolf Advisory Committee (WAC) and the WCC so the WDNR can make recommendation to the NRB.

After your head stops spinning, it is the same dog and pony show and will come back to whatever the mid management wolf lovers want while everyone else believes they had input in the "process".

Same ol' WDNR

03-Mar-21
How many deer does an adult wolf need to survive on average? It has to be an amazing number when you multiply it by the 216 wolves taken. We haven't even hunted the property we have in northern wi last 6 years because the deer herd has become so thin. Hopefully this will help the deer rebound.

03-Mar-21
Chris it probably won’t help at all, we need to get it down to the original 350 wolves and keep it that way for any positive outcome for our Wisconsin whitetails. We also need to stop doe tags being handed out in area’s that don’t need it.

03-Mar-21
The studies conducted by Michigan Tech estimates a wolf when in a pack or social group will average one deer per week. But that doesn't take into effect fawn predation in spring and early summer. Most predation take place in winter. One thing to note is the studies show when a pack or pair takes down a deer it usually isn't totally consumed at the kill site. Like a Grizzly or Brown bear they will stash it and protect it from scavengers and revisit it until consumed bone marrow and all. By doing the math on the high side say each wolf is responsible for 50 a year. Times 1500 wolves = 75,000. Now that's a high calculation. I think reality would put that number around 50,000 statewide. Remember like all predators they take advantage of situations. Be it Beaver, Deer. Elk, etc. They have a varied diet including plants, insects and small game. O truly believe Wolves are good for the Eco System. Bio diversity is good for all wildlife and trees and.plants. But they do need to be managed just like Deer. Too many not good. Too few not good. Instead of this mad dash 2 day wolf hunt they need to use the zones they have and trickle ( no pun) out the tags. A 3-4 month season with applicants getting certain time periods, just like they do turkeys. Not for the good of the Wolf but for the good of pressure on them so they avoid human contact, human scent and intrusion. That would eliminate over predation by dispersing them over a larger area and reducing the population simultaneous with harvest. It would also reduce the disgust of the anti hunters and purists by not having what really looked like a 2 day bloodbath. This would take some actual work by the DNR and their biology staff so it includes work, field work, and that's a dead end. If it doesn't fit on a computer screen or some algorithm they are too privileged to do the actual work. That said g'day

03-Mar-21
PS.. Does anyone have a good reliable estimate on how many deer are killed by collisions on the roadway each year or a average over a 10 year period. I contacted the DNR and the response was basically....Dunno

03-Mar-21
Here’s the realty.... We were only 16 wolves over the quota of 200. In their own pre hunt words, a quota of 200 would have little if any effect on the overall wolf population. The WDNR did not want this hunt. They are simply now embarrassed they lost their anemic argument against it in court and are shocked that in less than 60 hours a mere 1500 hunters took 216 wolves. The hunt showed every reasonable person that our DNR and their volunteer “wolf trackers” population estimates of 1100 wolves was either inadvertently or deliberately grossly understated and is now exposed. In a response, the WDNR seek shelter with its new friends namely the Tribes, GreenFire, Wolf Patrol, The Sierra Club and HSUS. Hunters and landowners will likely be marginalized or excluded from this New Committee which will base its harvest recommendations on everything but sound science.

03-Mar-21
Is this the same wolf committee that hasn't met for several years or a new, additional one?

03-Mar-21
The DNR is looking for organizations to join the new Wolf Committee so they can write the long awaiting new wolf plan. You don't think this committee is going to be stacked with the wolf crowd?? Good bye 350; hello 800+.

Anyone else think the current plan is just fine?

03-Mar-21
Musky B, I’d be almost happy with an HONEST statewide population of “800” wolves. Does anyone deny It would only be 1/3rd of our current wolf population ?

03-Mar-21
Any statewide wolf population estimate should also include Tribal Lands since they appear to hold much sway in establishing population goals and estimates.

03-Mar-21
Wink-An honest 800 would be better, but that will never happen. If filling the wolf harvest quota in two days with a hastily put together wolf season was not an indication that the population was much , much higher than they "estimated" than how can we ever think they will put forth some believable population estimates moving forward?

03-Mar-21
MuskyB, You again Sir have expressed, “sound wisdom”.

04-Mar-21
Question: last nite while calling Yotes on snowmobile trail going threw big timber a Trapper on an E-Bike stopped to say hi . We talked about his E-bike & my AR .

He said he has trapped 16 Yotes & 3 Wolves . A very good year . He started to leave & I asked him what bait does he use . He yelled back , " no bait " .

I know nothing about trapping . What type of traps is he using ?. And what does he do with the Wolves ?

04-Mar-21
Ruger its hard to say. He could be running a variety for yotes. My guess is he's running a sight set. Which is using something to attract them visually. Dogs are curious by nature. You could hang a feather or go very settle,, which is what i like to do. Field sight sets, i will clump up some grass and set that on a visual for them. They see its something out of place and they check it out. or... he's running a double trap blind set. It's really hard to say. Scent sets are good for dogs that haven't crossed paths but as the season progresses. You will have to change it up in order to get the educated dogs. They smell a dirt hole set and they know exactly where your foot trap is set. They dig it out and flip the trap over. Alot of times without even setting it off. Then they piss on it, contaminating your trap. Can be a pretty frustrating thing.

16 yotes in wolf country is pretty good. Thats pretty impressive actually.. Give trapping a try. Its addicting as heck.. hands down best way to put fur on the ground.

04-Mar-21
Snares

04-Mar-21
Cable Restraints most likely. Snares are only legal for beaver under water in WI. Incidental wolves caught need to be released.

04-Mar-21
Or that

04-Mar-21
Noc, you cant hang wings or feathers at a trapping set. It has to be 25’ or more away to be legal. Just want to clarify that. Below is copied from the 2020 trapping regulations.

You may not: •

Use sight-exposed bait consisting of feathers, animal flesh, fur, hide or entrails within 25 ft. of any trap, snare or cable restraint;

04-Mar-21
How in the heck do you release a Wolf ?

04-Mar-21
4x8 piece of plywood with a v notch cut out of the bottom. Wolf pulls away leg that is in trap extends. Plywood between you and it. Also one armed xtra man on lookout in case. Have done it several times. Usually when trap released off they go!

04-Mar-21
And....a handle screwed to your side of the plywood. Mine has 2. They can get rather grumpy when your forcing them back with plywood shield

04-Mar-21
The wolves I have seen are really calm when released, now bobcats are a different story

04-Mar-21

Drop Tine's Link
This girl is one of the best trappers in the state.

04-Mar-21
I've released 3. Never that calm for me! Maybe all worn out for being held for awhile. Mine were in the trap less than 6-8 hours. That girl has bigger balls than I do! Yumpin Yiminee!

04-Mar-21
Skye Goode - IMO, she is one of the best predator trappers in the state. This is a friend of mine's son releasing an incidental caught wolf.

04-Mar-21
Nocturnal, if you have a coyote that finds your trap, digs it up and then pisses on it for good measure... im rooting for the coyote... Lol...

04-Mar-21
LOL @Retro

04-Mar-21
that would be the day...

04-Mar-21
DT thank you. I did not know that. Is illegal on both public and private lands? I have not ever tried that personally but I have seen this on private.

Retro it happens from time to time with dirt hole sets in areas with trapping pressure. Nothing a double set cant take care of.

05-Mar-21
Noc, private or public it doesn’t matter. Illegal on both. I’m also glad you took it as informative and nothing personal.

What’s funny is you can use an artificial feather that has a feather photo imprinted onto it but can’t use a real feather. LOL

05-Mar-21
DT- no reason to take it that way. So many rules, it can make your head spin.

05-Mar-21
Especially the grey ones that are open to interpretation by those that enforce the regulations.

05-Mar-21
Especially the grey ones that are open to interpretation by those that enforce the regulations.

05-Mar-21

06-Mar-21

oldhunter's Link
Here is how some of the media spins it.

06-Mar-21
Sad. I wish Megan was at my house about 11pm wed. Nice moon, dark road, and wolves going crazy about 100 yrds across the street. Would have been a beautiful night for her to walk her dog.

08-Mar-21
Yes, the "stop being a human being", movement gets there own free campaigning from the news media. Angers me to no end. People who know nothing about the rural/wild area's trying to tell us how we are going to live. I get sick of it all, the article in the attached thread and other news org's are spinning it up like a murder of a human. We live in some very odd, weird, scary times, and now these idiots have more power with a Democrat in office. We need to back these groups like the one from Kansas who came into WI to fight the WI DNR. Facebook is another joke lumping hunting in with cruelty to animals. We need to wake up.

08-Mar-21

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Live2hunt - Reminds me of this meme.

08-Mar-21
Our very own WDNR could put an end to this fake news nonsense with a simple, honest press release by simply providing the current wolf population estimate, effect of the recent hunt, and states wolf population goal. Instead they stand mute and let the antis and liberal press attack the sportsmen and women who pay the lions share for conservation. Absolutely gutless....

08-Mar-21
My brother in upstate NY belongs to a Rod and Gun Club. It was their annual kids squirrel hunt weekend where parents and grandparents etc can bring a kid outdoors and have fun. Tents, food etc and squirrels. It was met this year with protesters... two of them went as far as threatening the life of the children there. Police were called. Nothing happened and the crowd was dispersed. Later on about 8 individuals returned and walked along the roads surrounding the property with whistles, pots and pans etc. Sad times for sure. No charges were filed but I heard about four squirrels were shot. So although a sad situation, it allowed the elders to explain the sadness of what happened. Hopefully that weekend there were about 20 kids inducted into the what's wrong with those people family.

08-Mar-21
Exactly.

08-Mar-21
Wink, 100% correct. Gutless is the perfect word.

08-Mar-21
With a headline like this, do they really have to "spin it".

Hunters in Wisconsin launched an onslaught against the wolf population killing 216 in less than 3 days.

All they have to do is stay silent.

HF43

10-Mar-21
Did wolfs that were harvested actually get registered or reported in person to a real DNR warden or similar person? Then marked somehow so the same wolf could not get registered twice. Somewhere I thought I read that they were just reported by the person that supposedly killed them. If so the anti wolf people could just buy a license and then report the kill without ever going in the woods or field to actually kill one. Seeing how fast the quota was reached makes me wonder.

10-Mar-21
Jeff, they are supposed to register the pelt in person and get a pelt tag like an otter or fisher. HF43, yes, the media knows they can sway the public to their agenda on anything. Scary that they have that much control on our lives.

10-Mar-21
How many did the Native American tribes report "killing", and did we ever get a final tally of the Non-Native Americans "Kill".

HF43

10-Mar-21
The non native kill was 216. The pelt had to be registered and tagged and the DNR kept the carcass so it would be difficult to fudge any numbers.

• Sitka Gear