NY deer & bear hunting question
New York
Contributors to this thread:
Bowman 25-Feb-21
Bowman 25-Feb-21
Pat Lefemine 25-Feb-21
Squash 25-Feb-21
25-Feb-21
Here in NY we have an over lap of archery deer and archery bear.

So here is my question: say you shoot a deer and field dress it within shoot range of your stand. You hunt the next day out of that same stand but you see a bear eating the gut pile from the deer ( that you shot the night before) can you shoot the bear? or is that considered baiting cuz of the gut pile?

25-Feb-21
Here in NY we have an over lap of archery deer and archery bear.

So here is my question: say you shoot a deer and field dress it within shoot range of your stand. You hunt the next day out of that same stand but you see a bear eating the gut pile from the deer ( that you shot the night before) can you shoot the bear? or is that considered baiting cuz of the gut pile?

25-Feb-21
It’s a good question. I would imagine it would be up to the CO’s discretion. If you gutted the deer where it dropped and hunted over the guts it’s not like you placed the guts there. What’s the difference between hunting over a gut pile or hunting over a food plot? I think you can make that argument in front of a judge if you got pinched.

If you had trail cam pics of a bear and you intentionally gutted the deer where that bear was hanging out, that’s different, IMO.

I wish they would just allow bear baiting for archery.

25-Feb-21
Yes, good question. However where I hunt on Tug Hill and the Adirondacks, with all of the coyotes, fisher, eagles, ravens, etc.. a gut pile rarely last more than a day or two.

• Sitka Gear