Matte 01-Mar-21
writer 01-Mar-21
writer 01-Mar-21
Matte 01-Mar-21
keepemsharp 01-Mar-21
writer 01-Mar-21
Thornton 09-Mar-21
27-Feb-21
I am interested in mule deer hunting this year in western Kansas on walk in land, can anyone give suggestions? I will be using a recurve, so I know that will lower my chances.

27-Feb-21
Good optics and wind are your best friends, as could be a wet summer and tall grass.

A lot of pressure on them the past several years.

I’m done killing them.

27-Feb-21
I agree with what Writer said. Killed my fair share of Mule Deer and they are now fewer a farther in between sightings. State definitely needs to reduce the pressure on them. My honest opinion is all the pressure has sent them in less than desirable habtit. In turn higher motality rates for the fawns.

27-Feb-21
Matt, that doesn’t add up . Fawning is 5-6 months after the last day of even archery season. Not what the research says, either. Mule deer does will travel, a decent distance for preferred fawning habitat...but it’s harder and harder to find because of land-use changes and drought.

27-Feb-21

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Numbers where I frequent west-central were the best in a decade this year. The elimination of doe tags was huge through that country I think. With the CRP situation I’m not holding out much hope that trend will continue though. Another 650k acres are set to expire this year and next. I’d be surprised if we see anywhere near the enrollment/re-enrollment as we did last year. Corn and milo prices look a lot different these days.

To answer the original question though. Get a Heads Up doe decoy, set yourself up to quarter and pack out a buck maybe up to a couple miles, hunt all day, don’t fall in love with the biggest chunk of WIHA or the one closest to your house, assuming you’re coming from the east (most of your competition will fall into those categories), be patient when bedding up a buck in the morning as they will readjust a couple times usually, and put as many miles on your boots as you can.

27-Feb-21
My brother and I were talking about the pressure this year. We were kind of thinking we probably wouldn't be chasing them anymore either. The pressure on them this year was CRAZY. To the OP, if your just after the first deer that gives you shot opportunity then it will be a fun hunt for you. But be ready for company, and LOTS of it.

27-Feb-21
I hunted them two years ago on a beautiful 3,000 acre farm in Gove County. Only saw one buck and a few does. After Writer informed me of the dismal results of the last study KDWP did, I decided not to hunt them this year. There's still too many outfitters selling hunts left and right, and I wish they would be drastically limited by the state. NM and Colorado often do aerial surveillance to determine tag allocation on specific ranches. True hunting is conservation first, and hunting second.

28-Feb-21
I have often thought that I should make a few trips out west to hunt Mule Deer. Maybe I've waited to long?

28-Feb-21
Not at all Marvin. Still a worthwhile adventure. Go in October when the crops are coming out, competition is less, and weather is often better. That way you won’t feel like you’re missing something when the rut is on at home. Mature muleys can be far easier to get on when they don’t have a dozen sets of female eyes and ears looking out for them anyway.

28-Feb-21
Marvin...you’ve more than earned the chance with what you’ve done for bowhunting in Kansas.

01-Mar-21
Writer from what I have read the researchers still do not completely understand why there is such a decline and mortality rate. My best Mule Deer spots seem like some of the worst habitat in Kansas " Moving Sandhills by Lakin hundreds of square miles. Yet prime Habitat like Cng there you see very, very few deer of any species. On a positive I saw about 50 Pheasants on my drive to Ulysses

01-Mar-21
You need to see updated information. As goes CRP, so goes survival rates.

CNG was really blasted by so many years of drought. We have to wonder if they’ll recover. Takes so much longer with mule deer.

Great on the birds. Now, if we can get some moisture.

01-Mar-21
You need to see updated information. As goes CRP, so goes survival rates.

CNG was really blasted by so many years of drought. We have to wonder if they’ll recover. Takes so much longer with mule deer.

Great on the birds. Now, if we can get some moisture.

01-Mar-21
I will need to look for the latest, good to know they have figured something out.

01-Mar-21
Writer: explain CNG?

01-Mar-21
Cimarron National Grasslands. Apologies, Dave.

09-Mar-21
I had a conversation with a family member of a patient I took care of today that said he owns a farm out on the Gove/Sheridan County line. He said in the past few years, they've taken 6 of their bucks to be tested for CWD, and 4 came back positive. They were both mule deer and whitetails.

• Sitka Gear