SlipShot 03-Mar-21
Surfbow 04-Mar-21
Phaseolus 04-Mar-21
Phaseolus 05-Mar-21
Cheesehead Mike 07-Mar-21
Hank_S 07-Mar-21
Phaseolus 08-Mar-21
01-Mar-21
I’m sitting here waiting for the Mathews V3 31 I’ve ordered and wondering what non-electric sights I can legally use. I’ve not hunted archery for 20 years and technology has changed. Colorado’s regs say no electronic sights and I’m assuming just removing a battery won’t make illuminated fiber optic sights legal.

01-Mar-21

01-Mar-21
Fred, My understanding is that just removing a battery from an existing battery powered or electronic powered bow sight is not acceptable per the regulation. A bow sight needs to be battery powered or electronic powered free, to be use in Colorado. The fiber optic sights of today, surely provide enough "power" to the sight pins during legal hours, to be effective.

02-Mar-21
I didn't know current fiber optic bow sites had batteries. All the ones I've owned had loops of cables within to provide illumination.

02-Mar-21
My sight has a light that screws into the top of the housing and lights up the fiber optics. It's not legal in Colorado so I removed it while I was hunting there last year. I got checked by a warden and he checked my sight specifically.

02-Mar-21
I know you will not have any issue with a sight such as spot hogg that you can add a light to light your fiber optics. So long as you don't bring the light you can attach with you. I believe several other makers make similar sight light combos. You can't go wrong with a spot hogg sight either.

02-Mar-21
I think most sights have removable lights. Both my CBE and an older Copper John do.

02-Mar-21
When started bow hunting again, I purchased a complete used bow. Hunted with it for a couple years. During this time I was check several times by DOW. I took the bow in to have new cables and string put on. When I went to pick up the bow the guy behind the counter told me that the sight pin light I had was not legal to hunt with. I asked him what he was talking about. He showed me the light and it still lit up. I just unscrewed the light and went on. I'm not telling you to break the law, I removed the light when I found out I had it. What I'm telling you is that most officers do not even check your bow.

03-Mar-21
He definitely checked mine last year and specifically checked my sight to see if I had a light installed.

03-Mar-21
I'm so happy that the shop caught it and not the officer. ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse.

04-Mar-21
Yep, just remove the light or the battery...

04-Mar-21

Phaseolus's embedded Photo
Phaseolus's embedded Photo
Thanks guys, I hope the bow gets here soon, I’m excited to archery hunt elk again. I helped a young friend out in a wilderness backcountry hunt and got the bug again.

05-Mar-21
I noticed Paul knows my first name, must be from MM?

07-Mar-21
Fred, I know your last name too (judson) and I've never been on MM :-)

07-Mar-21
Fred: you’re a legend.

08-Mar-21
I’m a little slow ;)

• Sitka Gear