Quailhunter 08-Sep-21
sitO 08-Sep-21
t-roy 10-Sep-21
sitO 12-Sep-21
EmbryOklahoma 12-Sep-21
sitO 21-Sep-21
IsaacMoore 04-Dec-23
04-Mar-21
Was going to title this 'Garden 2021: The year of Embry' but figured too much pressure on Rick and his wife! With the winter vortex blast a couple of weeks back, my garden is "behind" from last year by about 2 weeks. Got half of Mom's garden and all of mine rototilled yesterday along with some Milorganite for a little boost. Will go over some hard to get places with my Ryobi hand held tiller then plan on planting onions, spinach, kale and lettuce tonight. Supposed to get some rain tonight/tomorrow so hope my timing is good. Next up will be beets, carrots, shallots and potatoes in 2 weeks. Pics forthcoming of the prep work and planting.

04-Mar-21

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Dead sprouts
Dead sprouts
Put my onions in last weekend. Tried to do brussel sprouts over the winter but the vortex ended that.

04-Mar-21
Onions going in next week. Soil is a little cool still up here in NE Ok. Will put out some lettuce as soon as I can.

05-Mar-21
Ha ha, funny, Russ... I’ll need to get a couple more raised beds put out. The one I had last year got too much shade from midday on and the back plants suffered.

So, give me and my uneducated farming self, some guidelines on when to plant... onions, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, squash. I think that’s about all we’re gonna plant. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s gardens this year. Lord knows I need tips too, especially tomatoes! :)

05-Mar-21
I'll give you my opinion then others can chime in and then I can learn some too. Onions can go in now. Buy in "sets" at seed place, Lowe's, Home Depot. Nothing special about planting other than tilling your soil good. If the ground is too packed, the onions will try to grow up instead of down so won't get a big onion. I had some last year that would break the surface and I had to put dirt back around or pull. Potatoes can go in now too or wait a little for the soil to warm up. Last year I planted potatoes on 3/14. Cut potatoes in half or fourths - I want an 'eye' on each piece that I cut/plant. I plant mine a couple of inches deep with the cut side down. Tomatoes and peppers not until early May. Here's a link to the OSU Extension office planting guidelines that may help too. https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/oklahoma-garden-planning-guide.html I've got a "mix" of ingredients for tomatoes that help with blossom rot among other things and will post later when I can find it. Could plant lettuce, spinach, kale all like cooler/shady areas so may just need to rotate where you're planting. Peppers/tomatoes want full sun but if during those 100+ days of August a shade isn't a bad thing.

05-Mar-21

Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Don't know if any of the others use something similar with their tomatoes.

05-Mar-21

Quailhunter's embedded Photo
Hold on for a second.... when we say “sets” do we mean the plants that are bundled together or tiny bulbs? I’ve heard it both ways. Bundles Of tiny onion plants for bulbs later in summer. The little packaged bulbs for greens.

Use these for big onion bulbs. Short day or intermediate day. I’ve seen some stores with “walla walla”. Those aren’t for this area.

05-Mar-21
Candy and Southern Belle Red are onions that do well for me. And like Russ said, they can go in now. They’ll be dormant and sit for a couple of weeks then take root. Ready in 100 days or so. I like to space them for big bulbs.

05-Mar-21

The tomatoes need a lot of sun. Determinate varieties will grow to a certain point and produce most fruit at once. Indeterminate will keep growing until frost and setting fruit. Give them space and sun. I like to much most of my stuff with straw. Makes weeding easier. Usually put a layer of newspaper under the straw.

07-Mar-21
My reference to a 'set' would be for each of the bundles on your table. You grow a LOT of onions!! I'm glad that I don't have a root cellar or my garden would be much, much bigger. I pull the younger onions for greens then leave others to grow the bigger bulbs. We've got a limited space for the garden and just my wife and I so I can't go too crazy. My Mom will way over-plant and I can get her overflow!

07-Mar-21
I chop and freeze a bunch for cooking. Easy. Just chop and freeze on a cookie sheet then bag em.

12-Mar-21

Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
This is our first garden at the new place, so I'm anxious to see how it does. So far I've got the onions, garlic, potatoes, cabbage and rhubarb in the ground. I was happy to see that the blackberries survived -15 temps!

18-Mar-21

First harvest. Dog gets the little ones!
First harvest. Dog gets the little ones!
Had some lettuce poke through the surface but the cold day before yesterday may have killed what was above ground - will know more in a week or so. Going to put in potatoes today or tomorrow depending on weather.

18-Mar-21
How does your direct seeded spring lettuce usually do? Does it make well before it gets hot? I have some out now waiting for it to germinate.

19-Mar-21

Mine does exceptionally well. Assuming "direct seeded" means a shallow row and sprinkling seeds then lightly cover with soil. Onions on far right then 2 rows of spinach and 2 rows of lettuce(Bibb, red leaf, romaine and kale).

19-Mar-21
Man that’s great. I’ve always thrown out a few lettuce plants and they do well but seem to bolt by late April. I’m in Northern Tulsa county. Went out and looked awhile ago and mine has started to germinate. When do you seed yours in spring?

19-Mar-21
Last year it was 2/22 and the picture above was taken May 5th. This year I planted on 3/4 and just now breaking through the top soil.

31-Mar-21
You guys got your tomatoes and pepper plants out yet? How about cucumbers? Do you guys like the bush type or climbing? I’m a bit late, but got a bunch of onions and a few potatoes in the ground.

31-Mar-21
I usually hold off on all of that until at least mid April. Even if you sneak it out, it probably won’t do a lot until it really warms up. Plus it’s a pain to cover stuff if you have to.

I’ve never had a lot of luck with pole beans. I have with bush beans. Contender is a good variety.

01-Apr-21
Like quailhunter says, too early for tomatoes, peppers, beans, cucumbers. When you say bush type or climbing, you talking about cucumbers or beans? Agree with quailhunter if you're talking beans. If cucumbers, given your limited space, I'd train them to climb a trellis instead of on the ground. I plant 2 types of cukes - one for canning and one for wife to have fresh on salads.

01-Apr-21
Definitely grow the cucumbers on a trellis like Russ said.

01-Apr-21
Definitely cucumbers, not growing beans. When do you guys recommend for tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers? Mid/late April?

01-Apr-21
yes. my experience tells me that if you sneak out a plant and baby it now and cover if necessary, my mid to late April plant will catch up with it. I used to get excited about it and try to plant early. Seems I seldom had tomatoes any earlier than anyone else. I have even waited until early May.

I like to stick out a few more in late June/early July for fall tomatoes.

01-Apr-21

Agree with quailhunter on timing. Here's a link to the farmer's almanac page for Tulsa. https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar/ok/Tulsa I can not for the life of my find a copy of the one I use so took a picture of it. Hope it's usable(after zooming in....a lot)! Did you guys know if you buy a QuietKat ebike you can haul more gear this turkey season? :)

01-Apr-21
Hard to see on my photo, Russ. Thanks fellas! Oh, yea... I bought me a QuietKat. Not really. ;)

20-Apr-21
Anyone concerned about any of their plants? I was going to put tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers in this week. Think I’ll wait until next week.

20-Apr-21
All I have out is onions and some lettuce. Glad I haven't put out anything else. Not even sure covering will work tonight. They said we could be in mid to upper 20s for up to 9 hours.

20-Apr-21

Yeah I'd hold off another week Rick. Have my tomatoe, pepper, and potatoes in moveable tubes or bags currently so moved them into a green house. Picked some spinach for homemade spinach dip yesterday.

21-Apr-21
I think I'll likely put in my tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, okra and green beans on Sunday. Looks like warm enough weather these next few days. I've had potatoes in quite a while and thought they'd be okay with the cold front......was wrong. Since they were up pretty good, the tops just got frozen down and not sure if can recover.

I've pretty well just buggered up most of my garden this year by planting stuff too deep. I didn't do anything different than past years but think with the cooler soil temps and such it didn't get warm enough to get sprouts up to the surface. Replanted spinach, lettuce and carrots. Too late for potatoes(I thought until reading Push's post). There weren't any starter potatoes at Lowe's so may have to lean on Mom's garden this fall. Good thing she plants enough for 3-4 families!! Her spinach and lettuce are both ready to start picking along with some onions. Maybe we can get Push to share his spinach dip recipe??

21-Apr-21
Yea, I’m down with the recipe... come on Push! Although, I’d have to buy my Spinach from the store. Lol

21-Apr-21
Those potatoes should recover. Just set them back.... mine would freeze back occasionally when I planted them. I got tired of messing with them because you have to plant so early.

22-Apr-21
Russ I don't plant my potatoes in the ground I keep them in large bags. I like the bags they keep the soil loose and well drained also much easier dumping onto a tarp to harvest then digging up and allows me to move inside if needed. For the spinach dip first you need a 1 1/2 -2lbs of fresh spinach wash thoroughly and chop. Add spinach, 1tsp salt, and 2 tbls butter to a large pot of boiling water let it cook 5 minutes or until tender then drain. For the dip you will need 6oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4tsp garlic powder, and 4 strips cooked and chopped bacon. Microwave the cream cheese for one minute or until hot and soft then add all the other ingredients plus 2-2 1/2 cups of the spinach mix it altogether and enjoy. You can also substitute 1 cup of the spinach for a cup of artichoke hearts.

22-Apr-21
Dang, that sounds good! Hadn't thought about grow bags but also don't have a greenhouse or anywhere to keep them other than in the garden. Definitely sounds easier than planting in the garden then digging up. Maybe next year. I hope they recover because my Mom stated hers got a good freeze burn too.

22-Apr-21
We are tinkering with the grow bags too. We bought a pack of 5 of the 7 gallon bags. I put some 16” square concrete blocks under them to make it easy to weed-eat around them. Going to put tomatoes and bell peppers in them. You guys got me addicted to gardening. Lol

01-May-21

Picked some carrots today my helper needs some practice.

01-May-21
Are those timbers cedar? Nice raised beds...

04-May-21
Carrots???? I think mine are still just roots! Temps supposed to get into low/mid 40s tonight. Think that's cold enough where I should cover my tomatoes and peppers that were just planted this weekend? I've got a big tarp that I cover the boat with in the winter that will cover all of it and since I have cages around them I don't risk hurting any plants.

I've had good luck in the past with pressure treated timbers for my raised bed but the ones I put in 4 years ago are warping even with rebar driven through to help keep straight. don't have the energy to replace them unless get lots worse!

Embry, lets see those tomato and peppers in the grow bags. Anxious to see how they turn out as that may be my next year's approach.

04-May-21
I wouldn't cover with temps in 40s

04-May-21
Thanks they are pressurized oak. I was thinking of putting in a couple more this year but not with current lumber prices. Russ these were planted in November in a raised bed I have removable plastic high tunnels that fit over the beds for bad weather.

04-May-21

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Here’s my little garden. Hope the temps don’t stunt them. Got one jalapeño, three types/colors of bell pepper, cucumbers, potatoes and a bunch of onions.

05-May-21
Looks great Rick! A cool night or two won’t hurt them at all. Get some straw and mulch those tomatoes. It’ll help that soil retain moisture. Those bags look pretty handy.

05-May-21
Way to go farmer Rick! :) I didn't cover my tomatoes/peppers last night so hope they're okay this morning. Supposed to get some sunny days and figure everything will recover.

Wife wants to get a green house for her flowers and such. I'll request a small corner for veggies and such.

05-May-21
Now my biggest hurdle is rabbits and F’n squirrels. Bastards were in my onions and digging holes in the garden above.

05-May-21

Check out my Mom’s strawberries! She says she’s getting that many a day. She’s got the green thumb for sure!

06-May-21
Let ol' Tater Tot after them bastards! Our Rio loves chasing the squirrels and none have disrupted the garden.

Those strawberries look great! Not sure why you need to ask here for any gardening advice when you've got Mom. :) I think that will be next on our garden list. We've got 2 really big blackberry bushes that produced exceptionally well last year. Love that they don't have thorns like the wild ones.

06-May-21
You’re right Russ, Mom is here to make sure all you guys are telling the truth. Lol

07-May-21
Needed some gardening tips so thought I would come over to Okiehoma garden forum and say hi!

07-May-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Here's my "Yarden"...April 4, May 7, then 2020 and 2019...learning all the time

08-May-21
I knew you had a sizable garden, Kyle. Let’s see some current pics...

08-May-21
Those first two are this year Rick(April 4 & May 7). I took a chance on planting a bunch of stuff early, knowing I'd be on the road for a month, it worked out pretty well. My tomato plants are 2-3' already and lots of blooms, bad news is that some are already getting "curly top". Had some of that last year and they came back from it, but didn't produce as expected.

09-May-21

Oh... yea, I missed the explanation in your post! My bad, Kyle! Lol

Here’s my Mom’s garden in south OKC... she’s a gardening fool. Green thumbS, all 5’1 and 100 lbs of her. She was pissed because the city coons were getting into her strawberries. LOL!

11-May-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Her garden looks great Rick, and organized! I did some picking tonight...

"Green onions" white/red/yellow, English Radish, carrots, Mesclun, celery, cilantro, and then some spinach and various lettuce varieties. I give the majority to my Mom(they have a garden too) and she distributes to some in need.

12-May-21
Damn, Kyle! That’s some good looking veggies! Are you growing any corn? :)

15-May-21
That was cold, Rick….but pretty darn funny!!

I’ll bet even Kyle LOL’ed at that one ;-)

17-May-21
Troy, Kyle knows how I feel... plus, he’s the king of comebacks. I won’t play that game with him. Lol ;)

22-May-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Do any of you guys grow asparagus down there? I never tried growing it when I lived down there in the 80s & 90s. Don’t know if the prolonged heat would wreak havoc on it down there, or not. My patch is producing like gangbusters again this year. Can’t believe how thick some of the stalks are this year. We pick about a plastic grocery bag of it every 3 days or so. My wife makes big batches of cream of asparagus soup with the excess, and freezes it. We also eat it almost every other day during season, as well.

Thinking of doing a double blind study this bow season, on the effectiveness of cream of asparagus soup vs Nosejammer as a cover scent on whitetails. Trying to get Thornton to volunteer to try both in Kansas, so it’s more than just a localized study, but so far he hasn’t responded to any of my queries….

22-May-21
Yea, it does really well down here. Mine didn’t make quite as much this year but it needs fertilizing and I didn’t get around to it.

23-May-21

Planted ours when moved into this house 4 years ago. Making pretty good now. Not as much as T-Roy but get 7-8 stalks every other day and starts producing early before slowing down with the summer heat.

25-May-21

Starting to see some growth in the backyard garden. The last pic is cucumbers. I’ll try to train then to run up the make shift runners that go 45 degrees from the raised bed.

25-May-21
Yea run those cucumbers up the trellis. They're easy to train. Those peppers look nice. Way further along than mine. Looks good!

31-May-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Got another 2" here today, some of my tomato plants are over 4' already.

01-Jun-21
Looking good Rick! Those cucumbers will do great on the trellis and like said above they're easy to train. If all 5 of those mounds are cukes, you'd better be finding some canning recipes because you'll have quite a few I'm betting!

Spent last week in FL sunning on vacation while OK was getting all this rain. Grass grew several inches and took us most of the day when we got back to mow and edge the place! Yeah, should've gotten the neighbor kid to do it but we like getting outside so not a huge bother. On the other side, my Mom's front pasture needed mowing before we left and bet it grew easily 6 inches since gone. Spent 6 hours on a very slow moving ATV pulling a 60" Swisher mower..not so much fun!

Told neighbor to cut asparagus while gone. She did, like the 1st day we were gone but not again. She didn't realize how well it's growing. So, I had some 2' tall/long asparagus when got back too.

Picked our first jalapeno and have several shishito peppers about ready too. Beets are doing fantastic as are the onions(pulled a couple to caramelized for our elk burgers last night - delicious). No pics - too busy mowing yards!

01-Jun-21
Only two cucumbers, Russ. :)

Looking great Kyle!

02-Jun-21

Dills and bread/butter
Dills and bread/butter
Red serrano and cayenne
Red serrano and cayenne
Guess I didn't look close enough to the leaves or would've realized. Either way, if those are canning cucumbers, you'll have enough to jar a few quarts of pickles! Save a couple of peppers(jalapeno, serrano, cayenne, habanero) to put in with the pickle jars to add a little kick.

03-Jun-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Or just make "refrigerator pickles" less hassle but won't last near as long

04-Jun-21
SitO, those look great! All of mine are refrigerator pickles too and stay fresh a couple of years. Hard to see but the jar with red peppers was "canned" in 2019. We don't use fresh dill so that may play into it as well....and we do add an ingredient to each jar that's supposed to keep the pickles fresh. AND, I don't care for cucumbers so they need to sit at least 6 months to be more of a pickle before I like them.

04-Jun-21
X2 on the refrigerator pickles. I have a good dill recipe. Super easy and lasting long isn’t a problem because they go quick. Also, and you all probably know, I switched to using dill seed instead of sprigs. Sprigs were just getting too hard to find. I think the seeds work just as well and much easier to find in the spice section.

04-Jun-21
Gotta have some bread n' butter pickles too! I plan on a quart per month and give away about the same amount. We used to grow our own dill but prefer the consistent flavor with seed and the ease. Same with garlic - use from a jar instead of fresh.

04-Jun-21
Different topic. For those that grow beets, any secrets to preserving fresh ones after harvesting? We can't eat nearly as many that are ready to pick. Most of mine are pushing above the soil with several really big ones. I've read about just knocking off the dirt, cutting the stems down close then put in plastic bag in fridge. Other option was to cut thick slices and flash freeze on a sheet pan then put into bags and vacuum seal. What about using a storm shelter with a fan going for ventilation? Still seems that would be too hot given our summers. Appreciate any input.

05-Jun-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I've not grown Beets Russ, no help here. As for the pickles...I use a company in Chicago for lots of seasonings/spices(The Spice House). They sell a "pickling mix" with a good variety ingredients that add a bunch of flavor. Then, like you, I heat them up with a variety of peppers/onions/etc.

Grew some "Super Hot's" last year, and will have a bunch more this year. Some are just too hot for me, but I've got a buddy...

06-Jun-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Squash/Zuchinni coming on, and my first tomato is just about ready

07-Jun-21

Pulled some beets and a few onions. Asparagus is slowing way down. Got a couple of shishito peppers. One cherry tomato is almost ripe. Not enough room for squash or zucchini in our garden but Mom should have some. She makes a killer yellow squash lemon poppy seed bread.

08-Jun-21
You guys are killing it! I need some tomato advice. My tomatoes are weakly looking. My cucumbers on the other hand are gonna be in my neighbors yard before long! Growing like crazy!

08-Jun-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Here's what I use Rick, works well for me...slow release.

08-Jun-21
Rick, your tomato plant pic on May 25th looked healthy. Same one? Too much rain maybe?

I posted the concoction that I use given to me by Mom(above back in March). I primarily use it to prevent blossom rot on the tomatoes. Don't know how/if it would compare to what SitO uses. I also tilled in some milorganite prior to planting.

13-Jun-21

Had some bolting issues with the cool spring but managed a nice haul of onions.

14-Jun-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Dang Aaron, that's a pile! I dug a few potatoes this morning...Norland/Russet/French fingerling's

14-Jun-21
I was just gonna ask when do you dig up potatoes? I think I planted them in mid April.

14-Jun-21
Rick, if you can get your hands into the soil around the bases of the plants you can just pull a few potatoes here and there and they'll keep growing(those early ones are called "new potatoes"). In my experience, once they flower(the plants) you can start taking some of the smaller potatoes. For larger potatoes let the plant go until it starts to die back up top.

I let some of these go too long quite honestly, a couple of the red Norlands are the size of baker's. They'll still be good, but lots of folks like the smaller red's.

14-Jun-21
Quailhunter with the win on onion harvest again this year!

SitO, at the end of the season we end up finding quite a few mini potatoes and will fry them whole with okra and onions. My potatoes haven't done real well here in Tuttle. I planted about 10 plants on our property in Okemah and fenced in so deer/vermin wouldn't get them. Doing great.....until the #*$&%$ing gophers found them! I'll bet none are alive now. Will check this weekend.

14-Jun-21

Pulled my onions Sunday pretty good haul.

17-Jun-21
Dang, that is a pretty good haul! I picked most of my onions and beets yesterday. Still have about 10-12 of each in the ground as they weren't growing above the soil level like the rest. I did get a couple of big uns like PCA is holding!

19-Jun-21

Picked some green beans for dinner and the first of my banana peppers today. Love me some pickled peppers on a sandwich or pizza.

19-Jun-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Never had luck with beans, got a few peppers that are almost ready here. Another 8-10#'s of potatoes yesterday, still have as much or more to dig. Pulled 1/2 my onions and one of three rows of garlic(20 bulb rows). Tomatoes are coming on quickly...have taken a few cherry size so far...it won't be long!

19-Jun-21

Some great hauls you guys are coming up with, wow! I feel so inferior! Here’s my haul of potatoes. Seems they might need to cook some more. That was one plant.

19-Jun-21
Those are cute Rick

19-Jun-21
I’ve had good luck with bush beans but not poke beans. Seems to get too before they produce. I haven’t messed with beans in some time.

20-Jun-21

Up yours Kyle.

Here’s the rest… went ahead and pulled them up to make room for Lana’s watermelon to “sprawl”. :)

20-Jun-21
Those will be tasty, the small ones are always better...I let mine go too long.

21-Jun-21

Just pulled my last red potato plant this afternoon. Haven't been impressed with my potatoes this year still have the goldens in an will pull soon. Here's the harvest from the last bag of reds.

25-Jun-21

Pulled rest of the beets and onions along with my first cucumber and some green beans. Likely won't plant green beans again or I need to move them so not shaded. I really like the purple/blue potatoes and wish they'd came up better. Got one last red potato plant that still has blooms so left it in the ground.

Ready for the tomatoes and peppers to get going. Will have to add another trellis for the cukes - growing like crazy and don't want on the outside of my fence on the other side.

25-Jun-21
Ordered some of the pickling spice that sito mentioned so plan to give it a try this year.

25-Jun-21
Lookin good Russ, my folks grew some of those purple potatoes and love them. I've been on the road for a week, pretty sure I'm coming back to a mess of weeds.

Hope that mix works out for you!

25-Jun-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Lots of weeds, but a few gems too.

Top left down = Wisconsin 55/Grape/Juliet. Top right down = Cherry/Chocolate Cherry. Center = Sun Sugar which are always earliest, and one of if not the best "Cherry Tomatoes" in my opinion.

26-Jun-21
Sweet Chelsea is our favorite cherry tomato. Little on the large side. Now that ours are starting to produce it has become obvious that our two cherry tomatoes were mislabeled. Oh well still going to have a lot.

27-Jun-21
Sito and Quailhunter, where do you get your cherry tomatoes at? Do you start from seed? We generally just get at Lowe's and I don't see the "exotic" ones you guys mention. I'll have to look at the tag to see exactly what our are but those names don't sound familiar.

27-Jun-21
I've got a great little place near me run by a couple of old hippies...Hillside Feed & Seed(Wichita). They literally have 100's of varieties of tomatoes, all sizes/colors/shapes/flavors. I buy a few plants from them, but this year they were selling them as fast as they could put them out and lot's of my favorites were gone, also bought a few plants from Atwood's.

Then I saved some seeds last year and tried them this year. That didn't work, but would have if I had a greenhouse or started them with a grow-light...they sprouted but just never got over 2-4". I did get a few pepper plants to grow from my 2020 seeds, they're behind the plants I bought, but I think they'll produce a few.

27-Jun-21

What was this pickling spice? Looks like we’re gonna have a bunch of cucumbers. Potatoes are now gone… they were good too!

27-Jun-21
I get my plants in spring from a local nursery. Just bought some today from Home Depot for fall tomatoes. Local place doesn’t start plants for fall. I don’t start my own because I only put out 10 in spring and 5 more for a fall crop.

27-Jun-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

sitO's Link
Here's a link to the Pickling mix Rick, check out some of their rubs and steak seasoning too!

Some of my Peppers are coming on, the "pots" are from seeds I saved last year. More garlic today, two kinds of Basil, and Okra in bottom pic.

28-Jun-21
Dinner looks good Rick! Nothing like fresh veggies from the garden. We had BBQ grilled chicken thighs and shishito peppers, roasted red and purple potatoes with carrots and steamed asparagus last night.

Of course, I don't look close enough at the tomato tag that I keep in each cage. My yellow tomatoes are Sun Sugar - couldn't read the second line small print after Yellow Tomatoes. Most likely same thing with my Black Cherry tomato plant.

Only have 4 or 5 okra plants that came up so think it's gonna be slow for fried okra this summer. Cucumbers are about to explode as are the tomatoes and peppers. Basil is doing really well too and should get plenty of pesto to freeze.

Spent 4 hours on Saturday pulling weeds but they sure came out easy after all the rain.

28-Jun-21

Lettuce anyone? Last of the greens and with the hot weather coming on it wasn't going to make it much longer. Wife picked and washed it all. Looks like salads and lettuce wraps this week!

28-Jun-21

Okay, I have to admit that finding cucumbers amongst the vines is eerily similar to finding Waldo and never fail to miss several during the year. 1st "miss" of the year! I've been checking them every day and picked a smaller one 2 days ago. So, the big one in the pic has been "missed" several times. :) If not too seedy, my wife may put in rice vinegar with some onions. Time to get my vinegar/water brine ready so can jar cukes as soon as I get enough for a quart.

Rick, you'll soon learn what I'm talking about on the hiding cucumbers!

28-Jun-21
I’m red green colorblind. Picking cucumbers is worse than blood trailing a deer or trying to match my clothes.

Brine-3 cups water, 1/3 cup of white vinegar, 3 tbsp kosher salt. In a jar of sliced cucs, add 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp dill seed (or sprigs), 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes(more if you prefer spicy. Soak the slices for a couple of days…. This is a good and easy refrigerator dill recipe. Give it a shake or two each day to stir things up.

Sprinkle the seasonings in jar on pickles. Fill jars with the brine.

28-Jun-21
I buy spicy pickles at the grocery store and then "tweak" the brine some. Cut cucumbers, peppers, etc, and toss them in...it works.

29-Jun-21
I’ll have to give that a try

30-Jun-21

Russ, you’re correct… these were hiding! Guess these are ready to pick?

Question… how do you keep your cucumbers fresh while awaiting others to get to picking state for canning? Do you guys just do a few cans at a time while waiting on others to grow? Lots of small ones on my two plants.

30-Jun-21
I keep them in the crisper. They’ll keep awhile. First pic looks ready, second one looks like it needs a day or two

01-Jul-21
Congrats on a good looking cucumber "patch"!

Like quailhunter stated, keep in the veggie crisper in fridge. I generally mix up my brine and keep a couple of quarts ready. Then, as you get enough for a jar, heat up the brine and get going. One thing to keep in mind is if the cucumbers get a little bigger than what you might think for a whole pickle you can cut into chunks and jar that way. Later in the season when they slow down I'll start picking really small ones and make pints of just the little ones.

02-Jul-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Spent the last few days down in your world...Enid to McAlester to Nowata. Worked most of the day yesterday in that downpour around Tulsa, brutal.

But came home to more "gems"! One good sized Black Krim, two "4th of July's", three "Yellow Pear's", bunch of "Juliet's", and various other "cherries".

03-Jul-21

Today's pickings.

05-Jul-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Pickin's & diggin's from the weekend

05-Jul-21
Sito is the last one horseradish?

05-Jul-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Yessir, one of the biggest plants in my garden. Not sure you could ever get rid of it, not that I'd want to.

06-Jul-21
Very nice! I love horseradish my parents have some at there place.

06-Jul-21
Tomatoes are there yet but peppers are starting to come on strong along with the cucumbers. Going to put up my first jar of pickles this week. I've got a really big horseradish plant also but was told to wait until winter to harvest.

06-Jul-21

06-Jul-21

Not quite enough for a cobbler!

06-Jul-21
Dang Russ, that's a BUNCH of peppers! I usually do harvest the horseradish in Fall/Winter, but wanted to see if there really was a difference and I can't find any. I guess the roots would have more time to fill out late season, but I have so much of it that's not a concern.

06-Jul-21
The shishito's are great just rubbed in olive oil and sea salt then blistered in a hot cast iron skillet or on the grill. Perfect with a medium rare steak!

06-Jul-21

My peppers and tomatoes suck. But… I got cucumbers out the wazzoo. Got some baby watermelons too.

06-Jul-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Rick, the tomato plants I have in pots/planters need a LOT more water than the others and I fertilize about every 2-4wks. I've got a few cantaloupes going, and two watermelon plants as well. Never had great luck with either once it gets super hot, hope yours turn out better!

Russ, I blister all kinds of peppers on the grill, almost every night when I'm home. I eat a lot of steak too and you're right, cain't beat it! One of the best things I ever bought was this skillet with holes for the grill. Mix a variety of veggies with olive oil, and usually the "Jerk seasoning" from the Spice House, or a Greek seasoning.

08-Jul-21

Cucumbers are coming on strong now!
Cucumbers are coming on strong now!
First jars of 2021!
First jars of 2021!
Sito, I have one of those grill pans too along with a flat one for grilling fish. Both work great!

Rick, I think sito hit it with the lack of water in pots. I have one cherry tomato in a pot and it gets watered twice as often as the rest.

11-Jul-21

Dang Russ that's a lot of cucumbers. I don't plant a ton but the few I did this year haven't done great. My first 2 of the season picked yesterday.

11-Jul-21
My three hills of cucs make a ton. More pickles this week. Also tomatoes starting to come on. Favorite this time of year is a cucumber and tomato salad

11-Jul-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
My tomatoes are going nuts. I'm picking around 2gal every two days. Cukes, not so much.

11-Jul-21

I got the cucs too. Not very many maters and got a few melons coming along. I don’t eat watermelons… those are for Lana.

13-Jul-21

Tomatoes are doing good.

14-Jul-21

12 1/2 pints
12 1/2 pints
Yep, tomatoes are doing their thing! Made some salsa last night with my Mom and then pesto with my wife later.

14-Jul-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
It’s amazing what a few degrees of latitude makes. (Ok, quite a few) We haven’t picked a tomato or pepper yet. We quit picking asparagus a few weeks ago and it has kaspoded! Some of it is over 8’ tall. This year was the best ever out of my asparagus patch. It’s probably 6 yrs old. We picked some spears this year, that were bigger around than a golf ball. First year for my wife growing cauliflower. She picked the first head last night and said it tastes delicious.

14-Jul-21
Hey Troy - what ya got getting into the garden that hog panels will keep out? Deer? Seems they could just jump over.

Our asparagus did pretty well this year but the late freeze jacked up everything in the garden. This is our 4th year - planted some the first year and added more each year. Pretty cool looking when it goes to fern.

What's really a bummer for me this year is the lack of okra. I planted and then replanted but still only have a few plants. Going to take me a week to get enough for a fry the rate it's producing now. Cucumbers are going out of this world crazy!! Blackberries are coming on strong now too with the hotter weather.

14-Jul-21
I live way back in the sticks, Russ. If I didn’t fence it off, the deer would keep stuff browsed off pretty bad, plus the coons, grinners, groundhogs, and possibly coyotes would eat my tomatoes and other stuff. I usually run a couple strands of an electric fencing wire at the bottom to deter the coons, but just haven’t put it up this year, so far. If the deer wanted in there, they could certainly jump over the panels, but it’s such a small enclosure, I think that kinda deters them, plus they’ve got tons of other browse available to them this time of year (such as my soybean plot that’s only 20’ away from the garden) I’ve also got chicken wire running around the bottom 18” of my panels, to keep the rabbits out.

14-Jul-21
That cauliflower looks great Troy, one of my faves... but get's too hot here or I just don't know how to grow it.

14-Jul-21
My wife really pampered it, Kyle. The bugs didn’t stand a chance. It’s pretty good dipped in ranch dressing. Great flavor, with just a hint of Sevin ;-)

Do you think you could grow it if you put some type of shade screening on it, Kyle?

14-Jul-21
I can grow great broccoli in the fall. I’d assume the same for cauliflower. Might give a fall planting a try. Spring plantings bolt on broccoli before it gets good.

15-Jul-21
I've never done much fall gardening other than planting some garlic for the following spring/summer. I'll be harvesting some of my horseradish towards end of the year so I may replant some then, if available. Figure I spend so much time from Feb through Aug on the garden that I should focus more on my fall food plots!

15-Jul-21
Pests aren’t as bad. Things like tomatoes don’t seem to have quite the flavor but they’ll do real well if you stick out a few plants now. Still way better than store bought.

15-Jul-21

Here's one of my sunflowers my brother is 6'2.

16-Jul-21

Cucumbers are finally coming on strong.

16-Jul-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Todays tomato bounty, gave two other bags away this morning...gotta love this time of year!

16-Jul-21
sitO do you ever make homemade tomato sauce with those roma's.

16-Jul-21
Thought about trying that this year, haven't in the past. Got a recipe that you like?

17-Jul-21
BLTs with fresh tomato, lettuce, and onion. I’m good for that meal at least once a week while the tomatoes are in.

17-Jul-21
Keep getting the 500 error when trying to post the link. Look up Alton Brown tomato sauce recipe that's the one I use (instead of roasting the tomatoes in the oven I like the grill or smoker) for our fresh/fridge sauce. Different recipe if you can it although I don't have enough this year for that. One year got 45 pounds of Roma and canned a lot of sauce.

17-Jul-21

sitO's Link
I'll try it, and here's the link, thanks!

17-Jul-21

That's the one thanks! Had some fried squash tonight.

17-Jul-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Fried squash and Crappie...one of my favorite meals! My squash is weak this year, but my Crappie game picked up again this morning.

18-Jul-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Nice to live in small town America! (flyover country) I picked up a dozen ears of sweet corn this morning, from a cousin’s produce stand, a few miles east of me. Open 24hrs, self serve on the honor system. They DO have a locked cash box inside, where you pay, now. Used to just have a big Tupperware container for several years, that you could make change out of, if needed, but one less than honest turd couldn’t help himself. (Probably an east coaster just passing through).

19-Jul-21

Finally caught up with my cache of cucumbers. Made some pickles. Hopefully they turn out well. Also made a couple jars of refrigerator pickles too. A bunch of cucs still on the vine too.

20-Jul-21

6' privacy fence
6' privacy fence
Every other day bounty
Every other day bounty
Way to go Rick - look great!

Push, my cucumbers are a close second to your sunflower.

Troy, love the small town America road side stand! I've got about 10 ears of sweet corn from a friend's Mom whose family has a farm. So good!!

Almost have enough okra for one batch. Wish I had some of that crappie to go with my fried okra/onions/jalapenos!

23-Jul-21

1.6 lb! Another picked 2 days ago is 1.5 lbs.
1.6 lb! Another picked 2 days ago is 1.5 lbs.
Getting some huge tomatoes but most have cracking on the tops. Haven't ever had this good of a tomato crop so not experienced this before. I understand it's from fluctuations in moisture like after a hard rain. In reading online for a solution, I should probably add some mulch around each plant. I already water from the bottom but next year may put in a drip irrigation covered with 3-4" of mulch around each plant. Thoughts? Input?

23-Jul-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I finally picked a few Zucchini, and I've got a few yellow squash about ready. Cantaloupe's are coming on too.

Russ, I'm not sure any amount of mulch would have helped when we/you got that much rain a few weeks back. I've had some cracking issues too, especially on one type of yellow cherry tomato.

24-Jul-21

Tomatoes on my end in the grow bags suck. My pepper plants the same. Peppers grew about 2 ft tall and produced very few jalapeños. Bell peppers the same. Don’t think I’ll use grow bags again.

Cucumbers… got em! Second major pick of the year. Looks like more pickles. Lol

24-Jul-21
If Ricks abilities as a whitetail killer are any indication, we are all going to be asking him for gardening advice sooner rather than later. Looks like you’ve developed a green thumb pretty quick. Nice cucs! Peppers really like the heat. Tomatoes can’t set fruit when it’s really humid out at night. Healthy plants will set fruit when things cool off.

31-Jul-21

Some lemon cucumbers from last week and tomatoes from this week.

04-Aug-21

Peppers are doing well.

05-Aug-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Lookin good William! I just returned from a couple weeks in ND and I've got a jungle! By the way they told me it was cold in ND and they lied!!

Dad had come over and picked twice while I was gone and I still pulled all this yesterday...haven't even taken half of the ripe slicers yet but will tonight.

06-Aug-21

Kyle, not sure how you get all the tomatoes in a bunch to ripen at the same time. I guess I still have more to learn!

Tomatoes just won't stop. Salsa? Check. Italian tomatoes? Check. Mexican tomatoes? Check. Plain tomatoes? Check. Give to all friends and neighbors? Check.

Peppers are still producing but getting smaller fruit. About ready to pull my cucumbers - got 20 quarts of refrigerator dills so set until next year and honestly tired of watering and picking! Gave about 20 lbs to my neighbor so she could make pickles.

10-Aug-21

Okra is coming along nicely given how I only ended up with about a 4-5' row. Fried up with some jalapenos and onions and a side of balsamic marinated flank steak(no pic, was busy slicing and sampling).

10-Aug-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
That's the stuff I like Russ, but I'm doing the Keto cause I allofasuddengiveashit. My Okra is coming on, but now I'm back on the road for a couple months.

Those little cherries are all growing in a big cluster plant, and if I pull them individually the skin rips, so I wait til I can clip a "bunch".

I grow a few unique varieties, this is a Green Zebra, and a couple of "Purple Bumblebee's". The Zebra is pretty tasty, a little bitter, the latter is really kind of bland.

Guess the last vegetable w/o cheating

10-Aug-21
Kohlrabi……One of my favorites! Tastes kinda similar to cabbage heart, to me. I usually just peel it, and slice it up, and eat it raw with salt.

10-Aug-21
Dang it Troy, nailed it, swing by and say hi this week if you're out and about.

10-Aug-21
Definitely planning on it, Kyle. Just not sure which day we’re going, yet.

11-Aug-21
Heck Troy, if you're going to be in Kansas, might was well swing south a few hours and say hi to the rest of us! Never would've guessed kohlrabi.

11-Aug-21
Russ…..I generally make it down there a couple of times a year (NW part) to my buddy’s place, for spring turkey and in Jan-Feb to varmint hunt.

SitO is gonna be in God’s country this next week;-)

11-Aug-21
Have fun in Colorado Kyle! :)

11-Aug-21
I saw THAT one coming from a mile off! ;-) Just wasn’t sure which state would be inserted…

15-Aug-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Ran into this guy at our state fair today!

Caught him talking with one of the corn vendors. It WAS only sweet corn, but still……;-)

16-Aug-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
That one on the right would make a good Scarecrow!

My mom picked my garden this morning since I'm stuck in "God's country"...pretty good haul.

16-Aug-21
Okay since sito has some squash in the pics I want to know what you all do for vine borers. I never used to have a problem. So bad now it’s almost not worth planting. I’m all ears…..

17-Aug-21
Aaron, they destroyed one of my Zucchini plants this year but not the other right next to it. Maybe that variety is more resistant? I'll check for the type when I get home. I've used a sprayable mix of Sevin in the past with decent success.

17-Aug-21
Jorts and a mullet in one pic. Sure you’re not from Oklahoma? Lol

08-Sep-21

Well, not sure about the rest of ya but my garden is pretty much done other than the okra. Still getting this much every other day. Some peppers still but they're much smaller. Not planning a fall garden unless you consider my food plots! Sitting in a stand before too long.

08-Sep-21
I pulled all of my cucumber vines and Lana’s watermelon patch. Done here too. Other more important things to concern myself with. ;)

08-Sep-21
My fall tomatoes look great but not setting any fruit with the heat and high humidity we’ve had. Okra going strong. About tired of messing with it. Gonna put a cover crop on most beds.

08-Sep-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Call me Sgt Pepper...picked today

Still pulling in tons of cherry tomatoes, lots of "cracking" on my bigger ones but quite a few of those too.

08-Sep-21
We have picked and sliced and frozen a ton of large jalapeños. Nice to make a few batches of poppers in winter and get togethers like Christmas. The jalapeños are still making well. My wife cut about 50 of them tonight. Our sinuses are clear.

08-Sep-21
We definitely need to make this an annual thread over here. We will liven up Oklahoma forum. :)

08-Sep-21
Sito can move to Oklahoma!

08-Sep-21
I've spent dang near a month in OK this year so far, does that count?

10-Sep-21
Kyle……If you book a couple more county fairs up here, you might be close to being able declare residency! ;-)

12-Sep-21
I'll be at the Tulsa Fair, maybe I can get "triple-residency" ;?)

12-Sep-21
I’ll come see ya at the fair, Kyle. I’ll buy you some corn on the cob. Lol

21-Sep-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
See ya there Ricky! Still pickin round here

04-Dec-23
Sorry to hear about that winter vortex messing things up a bit, but sounds like you're catching up fast. Rototilling and adding some Milorganite for that extra boost is a solid move. And with rain on the horizon, you might just hit the timing jackpot!Onions, spinach, kale, and lettuce in the mix? That's some healthy goodness right there! Be sure to share those pics of your prep work and planting – we'd love to see the progress.And hey, if you're still on the hunt for wildflower info, I stumbled upon a guide at mklibrary.com that could come in handy.

• Sitka Gear