soccern23ny 06-Mar-21
Glunt@work 06-Mar-21
squirrel 07-Mar-21
Paul@thefort 09-Mar-21
cnelk 10-Mar-21
Paul@thefort 10-Mar-21
Flatland hunter 10-Mar-21
06-Mar-21
Hey, I have been hunting in unit 18 for several years. I didn’t make it out last year due to my father in law being sick and then passing away, which due to the fires in the area, wouldn’t have happened anyhow. My question is, how intense were the fires? Would it be worth it to hit the area again this year. We usually are below the continental divide, and west of 125. TIA

06-Mar-21
Hey, I have been hunting in unit 18 for several years. I didn’t make it out last year due to my father in law being sick and then passing away, which due to the fires in the area, wouldn’t have happened anyhow. My question is, how intense were the fires? Would it be worth it to hit the area again this year. We usually are below the continental divide, and west of 125. TIA

06-Mar-21
wear black. you will be invisible

06-Mar-21
I've read elk love post burn areas. Issue may be how hot these fires were/may not have the same usual recovery as normal fires of decades past, thus maybe not the same effect on the elk. Will be interesting for sure.

On the bright side, if you do go won't have to worry about beettle kill anymore

06-Mar-21
The CPW showed the tracking results from collared elk in the Cameron Peak fire. They barely moved and were back inside the fire boundary in spots that it had gone through.

07-Mar-21
There is pretty much nuttin on the winter range. Except for helicopters counting gazillions of animals. Looked over a mountain that should have had several thousands and total was 2 deer and 15 elk, no tracks/trails. Good news is that the gov't says no soil damage of consequence. they got that info months ago in such efficient manner that it was almost, unbelievable. the reason there is nothing on the winter range is that there was such a re-growth in the burn area the elk all stayed right there fattening up according to cpw. the native grass really regenerated in those sub-zero temps following the big dump of snow that put out the fire. And yes, he was serious.

09-Mar-21
Compare gmu 18 with the 1990s when I lived and hunted the area. Now, tons of bow/rifle hunters, half a many elk, beetle kill, blow downs, now the fires ( both of which change the heating index of the hillside), harvest percentage is one of the lowest in the state. Good luck!

10-Mar-21
I drove thru 18 last week on Hwy 125 north out of Granby. This video should give you a good idea what to prepare for

10-Mar-21
Brad, thanks for showing that fire damage. I would have been very interested to see farther up the hwy to Willow Creek Pass. When I lived on Lake Granby all through the 1990s. I traveled that road 100s of times summer, fall and winter. While I would see a few deer along the road where you posted, I never saw an elk until mile marker 15 and farther north to Willow creek pass. West of the hwy, in the winter the elk migrated out of the area and towards Kremmling. East of the hwy, a few elk migrated toward Lake Granby and private land and joined up with some from the Rock Mt Nat Park herd. It will be very interesting to see that happens to the future of elk hunting in that area now with the fire and insect killed trees. I am sure hunters of that area will be seeking a new place to hunt for the next year or two or more.

10-Mar-21
Thanks for the replies, might just give it a try, who knows.

• Sitka Gear