tompolaris 08-Mar-21
swampyankee 08-Mar-21
Pat Lefemine 10-Mar-21
Brian M. 10-Mar-21
nehunter 10-Mar-21
Pat Lefemine 11-Mar-21
Pat Lefemine 11-Mar-21
07-Mar-21
I have a small food plot, but it does draw them in when passing by. I have used a few different types of clover in the past and am wondering which type you guys use? I lean towards Crimson Red. It seems to me they like it better than white. these are the two I recognize. I know there are several others. Thoughts/ opinions? thanks.

08-Mar-21
The only gardening I do on state land is remove some debris from my walk to the stand location so I can plant my feet without tripping things.

08-Mar-21
Tom, crimson is a good variety but it’s an annual so you’ll have to plant it every year.

Medium red clover is an easy perennial to glow and draws well. My favorite is ladino clover but it is a bit harder to establish. If you want a very competitive clover that spreads well then consider durana clover. You can also mix in chicory for a variety just go 2/1 or 3/1 clover/chicory.

Good luck

08-Mar-21
I gave up on clover. The dry summers around here and grazing pressure seem to hammer it and by the tine fall hits it’s done for. Plus you have to spray to keep the grasses out

I have done much better with oats and winter rye in the fall and something as a spring/summer crop like soybeans but I have a bigger area.

08-Mar-21
Thanks Pat, switch with over. didn't realize those were annual !

08-Mar-21

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
I have this clearing cleaned out, its 3/4" of an acre (34,000 sq/ft) Ive been watching YouTube videos on guys doing the same thing.

My question is : They all say plant something different, not sure if they ever tried anything else to compare.

My objective is attract September and October Does/Fawns. Then hopefully the November Bucks show up as they usually do. This is a very large piece of woods, nearest other possible hunter is over a mile away. Anyone here ever plant food plots in the middle of the woods with success?

08-Mar-21
Thanks Pat,good advise. I'll switch clover to perennials.

08-Mar-21
I have 3/4 acre of ladino clover going on 4 years.

10-Mar-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
NeHunter,

I have done it many times. Here's a video I created doing this very thing. It has become one of my very best plot locations:

The key is to get a soil test and get it moving in the right direction. Forest soil will be acidic and will likely be depleted of valuable nutrients. Unless it's sand, it can be improved. Just plan on bringing in lots of lime and fertilizer then start with something that's easy to grow like oats+brassicas+annual clover. That's what I did in the video. Good luck.

The pic above is from another forest area that I cleared and planted. These are extremely remote locations like yours and they are goldmines for drawing bucks.

10-Mar-21
Pat, where do you bring your soil sample? And what would be a good crop for sandier soil? One of my properties has a couple 1/2 - 3/4 acre fields that I believe used to be leach fields. Lots of weeds and brush. If something attractive to deer will grow there I'd like to try it. Have tractor, brush hog and rake, something no till would be preferred.

10-Mar-21
Pat, that's what I was looking for. I only have a UTV but I don't have to clear anymore, just dig up soil now. That video explains it all. I'm piling up all the logs like you did and make them them come into the food plot upwind from my stands. Your Deerbuilder website has all the info I needed.

BTW-- anybody shoot a Buck from the food plot last year?

11-Mar-21
Brian for sandy, well drained soil my first choice would be alfalfa followed by brassicas. Alfalfa is a great perennial draw but it’s finicky and requires spraying and clipping. If you can deal with it, it’s a top drawing plot.

11-Mar-21
Nehunter, I passed a couple decent bucks the last couple years but they were killed during rifle season on my neighbors. That property is in NY’s northern zone where bow season is two weeks and rifle is six weeks. It’s really hard to pass deer there with the screwed up NY regs.

• Sitka Gear