LaughingWater 23-Jun-21
longbeard 27-Jun-21
longbeard 27-Jun-21
jdbbowhunter 27-Jun-21
Pat Lefemine 27-Jun-21
longbeard 27-Jun-21
LaughingWater 09-Jul-21
09-Mar-21
Hi all - i'm hoping to get out for spring gobblers this year for the first time and I'm hoping for some tips around Sterling Forest or Stewart Forest (not honey holes).

From what i have seen on TV etc., there are 3 main approaches to hunting turkey. 1) have access to great land like a mowed field or something where the birds naturally congregate every day.

This is not an option for me unfortunately.

2) use an owl call or similar to roost the birds the night before the hunt, and then setup before sunrise the next morning and try to call them in

This is not really an option for me either as I live on Long Island, and will be driving to the hunt site morning of the hunt. Do to family commitments etc going the night before and camping isn't an option

3) Western style like i have seen Steve Rinella doing where he is basically hiking the hills and calling as he goes hoping to locate a gobble, and then setting up

I remember from hunter ed that stalking turkeys is discouraged, but the above is not stalking. it is basically actively trying to locate throughout the day, closing the distance somewhat, and then setting up to call. This seems like the best option to me for the vast tracts of wooded state lands in the southern tier.

for those of you that are out there taking birds from Sterling or Stewart or similar, what are you doing to be successful?

my thoughts are to start with Google Earth to find the parts of the forest that are hardwood rather than pine, and then just get out hiking and calling (wearing an orange hat or something) and listening until i hear a gobble, then drop a decoy, find some cover, and try my best with a call.

any advice is appreciated!!

09-Mar-21
Everything you mentioned will work. Woodsman ship is very important, calling can be important at times, but you don’t have to be a champion caller and knowing when to move is very important. All these things are attainable by trial and error. Just be courteous to other hunters because it can be a dangerous sport. If someone else is already parked where you want to hunt, go to your plan B

10-Mar-21
Longbeard gave you some great tips. In an area where you know the lay of the land and you know there are no other hunters, Rinella’s running and gunning style works .

11-Mar-21
thanks for the replies guys. if you don't mind, what are you guys actually doing? are you hiking around with the owl call and then setting up? i am thinking that covering ground is key for me in the early days and thinking that identifying a 10 mile loop trail or something and then hitting the trail but stopping every quarter mile or so to hit the owl call a few times hoping to hear gobbles. if i hear gobbles, then i'll head that direction and find a place to set up. if i never hear a gobble then i'll get a nice 10 mile hike in.

does that sound like the way to go?

11-Mar-21
I run and gun pretty much exclusively. I have personally found the owl call to be ineffective. I use a loud box call as my locator. Make sure you get to wherever you are going very early. Hearing a tom gobble on the roost is the best locator you can have!

Keep in mind that many toms may not gobble. Just because you aren't hearing them doesn't mean they aren't there. Find sign, set up, and be patient. That's the part I struggle with. I enjoy running around the hills too much and am unlikely to ever kill a silent bird.

11-Mar-21
What he^^^^ said !

11-Mar-21
My 2 cents.

Use the owl call when owls actually call which is before the sun is up or when the sun is going down. Other times use a crow call. Running and gunning using a box call works if conditions are right and then it can work real well. But, I have found more success in finding a likely set up and doing a few yelps and then waiting a half hour for any movement and then doing another few yelps and then leaving after 10 minutes to go to another spot. If coyotes are in the area and both sterling and stewart have them a lot of the times the tom's are call shy. Be aware at Sterling or anyplace that has elevation, a tom IS NOT going to come directly down to you, he will circle around and then come in if at all. A turkey doesn't want to have to try and run up hill away from you since he can't easily take off. HE WILL readily come straight up to you if you are higher than him. If he suspects danger he turns around and one hop has him gliding down hill to safety. Also remember turkeys sometimes won't climb over stone walls etc. I live on Long island too so if you want send me a pm and I'll give you my number and some more info.

12-Mar-21
A lot of great info here. Truthfully though you need to find out what works for you. You can pick your strategy on every hunt but your style will eventually pick you. We all like to do it “our” way because it usually either fits the way we were taught or it fits our personality. Take some of these tips you’ve read here and go get started. You will eventually and naturally fall into “your” style of turkey hunting. Good luck and have fun.

22-Jun-21
I wanted to report back on my first attempts at southern tier public land turkey hunting. i made 2 trips - one was mid week the first week of the season, and the second was midweek the third week of the season.

both trips were to Sterling Forest, which is heavily wooded. I tried to identify trails that were a mixture of hardwood ridges and swampy bottoms, and on both trips i covered about 6-8 miles on trail while stopping every couple of hundred yards or so to call with either a crow call or a loud hen yelp, hoping to hear a gobble in return.

on the first trip i got started about 30 minutes after sunrise, and then heard one gobble from across a gully / creek at around 9:30 AM. it took me about 20 minutes to get around to the other side, and then i called again and heard a gobble again. i went off trail toward the gobble, found an area that was flat ground and lighter brush cover, set up a decoy, and then tried some softer hen calls. i am new, so i figured less calling is better. i gave it about 35 minutes, but never saw or heard the gobbler again.

on the second trip i got started again about 30 minutes after sunrise, and saw a hen about 10 yards onto the trail as i was leaving the parking lot,, in an area that is not open to hunting. the hen actually saw me first and ran off. i hiked past where i saw the hen and set up right inside inside the legal hunting area and tried some calls, but never got a response. i hiked 6-8 miles from there calling every couple hundred yards, but never heard a response.

All in all, i can't complain after hearing a gobble on the first trip and seeing a hen on the second trip, but i obviously have a long way to go. any of you veteran turkey hunters have any advice?

the obvious is get started an hour before sunrise, not 30 minutes after. This is just tough as i live about 90 minutes away.

another thought is that i was moving pretty fast. the trails were well maintained and leaf free so i was pretty quiet, but i was definitely covering ground quickly. my thought was that at least i would get some exercise in, but of course moving quickly can spook game... although i wasn't worried about turkeys winding me, and like i said, i was able to move pretty quietly. what pace are you successful big woods turkey hunters moving at?

any other thoughts or tips to help me get it done next year?

thanks!

22-Jun-21
Matt, the most critical thing you can do to improve your odds while turkey hunting is to put the gobblers to bed the night before you hunt. Then setup as close as you can to the roost the next morning. My son hunts public a lot and tags out every year, and if he can’t find gobblers the night before he won’t hunt the next morning.

Also, try to get out very early in the season. Once the Toms are educated it’s 10x harder. And the number one way to educate gobblers is just walking around and calling.

The most successful turkey hunters are surgical when they hunt. Most are tagged out the first week.

Good luck

23-Jun-21
thanks Pat - that is of course great advice, but unfortunately not real an option for me as i live on Long Island about 90 minutes from the closest hunting area, and can't really justify a hotel room etc. the night before a hunt... especially with 3 little kids (2 under 2) at home...

for future reference though, is your son covering alot of ground the night before to locate toms? like setting off on a multi-mile hike at sunset, so that he is getting back to the car after dark?

any other thoughts from other successful guys would be appreciated!!

27-Jun-21
So if you can’t get there the night before you must get there before daylight and get to either the highest point in the dark to listen as morning arrives or you must get to a spot where you’ve worked turkeys before. Either way it must be under the cover of darkness.

With all due respect to what Pat said, not all turkeys will gobble from the roost in the evening so if you are going strictly on what you hear, or don’t hear in the evening, you may be missing out on some great turkey hunting.

Put in as much time as possible on the property you plan to hunt. Scouting and woodsmanship are the most important aspects of your success. Try to be there as much as possible during the week leading up to the season. Find their roost area and where they are traveling to feed. This will get you a great starting point. Good luck!

27-Jun-21
So if you can’t get there the night before you must get there before daylight and get to either the highest point in the dark to listen as morning arrives or you must get to a spot where you’ve worked turkeys before. Either way it must be under the cover of darkness.

With all due respect to what Pat said, not all turkeys will gobble from the roost in the evening so if you are going strictly on what you hear, or don’t hear in the evening, you may be missing out on some great turkey hunting.

Put in as much time as possible on the property you plan to hunt. Scouting and woodsmanship are the most important aspects of your success. Try to be there as much as possible during the week leading up to the season. Find their roost area and where they are traveling to feed. This will get you a great starting point. Good luck!

27-Jun-21
Time and effort are key to anything you do if you want to be successful! Get in the woods and pay attention and you'll figure it out, and will learn something every time out.

27-Jun-21
Never said all turkeys gobble on the Roost, but all turkeys fly up to Roost and that makes a racket, and oftentimes you can watch them. Given his situation being so far away about the best he can hope for is to get lucky. Odds are against that tactic but it’s better than not trying. Good luck.

27-Jun-21
Ok so you bring up a great point Pat. Yes being there is better than not being there and that is true for anything you hunt, but it sounds like his time is very tight with a young family at home. If I had to choose when to be there it would definitely be in the morning. Also, IMO, the biggest reason a bird doesn’t gobble on the roost at night is weather. Specifically the wind! Turkeys are a bit more fickle in the evening than they are with recharged batteries at daybreak. So if they don’t gobble in the evening it’s more than likely windy weather, which means on a big piece of public land, odds on getting lucky enough to hear or see them fly up would be astronomical!! Hunt smart and good luck.

09-Jul-21
thanks all -- i appreciate the thoughts

• Sitka Gear