Paul@thefort 20-Mar-21
JL 28-Mar-21
hunt'n addict 10-Apr-21
Keith 12-Apr-21
misser 18-Apr-21
JL 23-Apr-21
Al 10-Mar-22
10-Mar-21
UP Wolf impact question. My history in the UP. I spent 10 years in the UP from 1960 to1963 at KI Sawyer AFB , one year at the Cleveland Cliffs Iron ore Palmer iron ore pellet plant and then 6 years a NMU grad in 1971. Around 1969-70, 12 wolves were brought in from Minn. but within two years the wolves had disappeared from the UP. It was believed some were shot, some trapped, some hit by autos and maybe some just wanted to go back home.

So now I understand there are about 600-700 wolves in the UP and around 100 in the north lower.

1. How did the wolves get into the UP. Did they just migrate in or did the Feds or the DNR relocate them back into the UP?

2. What impact have they have on the growing moose population in the UP.

3. What impact has the wolves had on the deer population in the UP. I worked for a winter at the Cusco Wildlife Research Center just east of Munising on a deer research project. So I know how fragile the UP deer herd can be in normal years and a harder hardship in bad winters.

Thanks, Paul Navarre now from Colorado.

11-Mar-21
Paul,

1: There have been rumors that the wolves were brought in from Minnesota. People say that there were crates with Minnesota DNR printed on them. Personally, I believe they migrated from Minnesota through Wisconsin. But why would they come here when they had perfectly good habitat where they were? I don't know, maybe they were getting overpopulated in Minnesota. 2: The moose population is not growing. When moose were transplanted in the 80's, it was expected to have a herd of > 1000 by 2000 and a hunt. That hasn't happened. Wolves may have played a part in that, but I think minimally. 3: Localized herds have been decimated. In the mid 90's, about the same time wolves were showing up more and more, we had back to back severe winters that hit the deer herd really hard. After 25 years, the herds have not come back in many of these areas. I believe the wolf packs are keeping the deer numbers low.

These are just my thoughts and beliefs from reading a bunch of stuff and talking to folks. Nothing too scientific.

Did you work with John Ozoga at Cusino?

Keith

14-Mar-21
1. From a strong population in Minnesota that migrated into Wisco and then up here.

2. Well, moose don’t appear to be hitting the mark the DNR (3% reproduction rate) wanted them too. For what I remember wolves take out under 10%.

3. Our weather, nutrition and coyotes kill more than our wolves do.

16-Mar-21
Keith, Yes, John was the main research biologist on the winter yard, deer study. Lou Verm, was the head of the Research Center. After retirement, John went on to be the Science Editor for Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine and used a lot of his deer research in his articles.

Y-t, I believe that Brain Worm in moose caused some deaths in the UP herd.

Thanks guys for your replies. Paul The UP has a special place in my heart. Neat place, Good memories for sure.

18-Mar-21
Yes Paul, it does. I would love to see more up here. The population went low in 2015ish but from what I remember it is rebounding. I see them on my land and sometimes while driving.

19-Mar-21
Thank Tony, I just had a flash-back to the Office and Roosevelt bars in Ishpeming Mich. It was a long ride back to the base at 3 am in the morn. More good times.

20-Mar-21
Longer still in winter ;). They still don’t plow very well.

20-Mar-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
our snow from last week, Only 18 in. Melting off fast, will be gone in a coupled to weeks. Still a lot in the mts.
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
our snow from last week, Only 18 in. Melting off fast, will be gone in a coupled to weeks. Still a lot in the mts.
Yea, and when one of the airman, after a few drinks, ran off the road into a snow bank, he blame it on a deer running across the road in front of the car. Dam deer. Anyway , thanks again.

28-Mar-21
Paul....where did you see/read there were wolves in the northern LP?

10-Apr-21
I have heard a few wolves may have crossed the ice to the northern lower when the straits froze over.....but nothing documented.

12-Apr-21
I seem to recall, a few years ago, a wolf was confirmed in the Northern Lower. I haven't heard of any since.

18-Apr-21
what if i said i have seen one . at first one would think coyote then realize thats way to big to be a coyote, near Cadillac saw a wolverine to but thats a different story

23-Apr-21

JL's Link
Here's some DNR info the wolf in the LP.

10-Mar-22
A bit more info on the wolves in the U.P..While working on a committee with the Upper Peninsula Sportsmen's Alliance under MDNR biologist Dan Delisle, I received and official document explaining the retoration of wolves in the U.P. of which I still have some place in my files. In 1974 Northern Michigan University as well other entities arranged for Wolves to be moved from other states to Upper Michigan. They did not walk across the ice or walk here from Minnesota. I will have to look up the document in the near future to get the details of it and possibly scan and post it. Take care from dah western U.P..

• Sitka Gear