gobbler 15-May-21
Ron Miller 15-May-21
JayD 16-May-21
Ron Miller 16-May-21
JayD 16-May-21
babysaph 16-May-21
JayD 16-May-21
13-Mar-21
Birds strutting and gobbling. Now is the time to kill em. Glad only the good ole boys hunt em now or they would all be dead. I could bang a couple pans together and call one in. I’ve always said March and first 2 weeks of April was the beat time to hunt em

13-Mar-21
Heard one gobble while shooting my bow today. Anxious!

13-Mar-21
Best time is when the redbud blooms.

14-Mar-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
They haven’t broken out of winter groups here yet

14-Mar-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

15-Mar-21

Wayne Boone's embedded Photo

15-Mar-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Stud came by today

16-Mar-21
I have taken birds over many years , for me second or third week of season most years are best. Hens are nesting and Toms seem to respond well to my calling.

16-Mar-21
100% I’ve chased gobblers for 47 years. Every year is a little different but if I had to pick one week it would be first week of May. Luckily I don’t have to pick one week now:^)

18-Mar-21
I would pick right now.

18-Mar-21
Babysaph , Wouldnt really know myself if now is good, Never hunted turkey in March that would be illegal in WV , But i would think Toms would have plenty of hens right now, and may be hard to call away from those hens.

18-Mar-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
It would be difficult to call these gobblers away from all the hens they have with them right now

19-Mar-21
Spring turkey season starts one month from today, it has always been my understanding that season dates were set so that most of the hens have been breed, long beard groups here in mason county have began to break up. Lots and lots of birds here in mason county most years the county is number 1 in spring kills. I have hunted turkey for over 40 years. Dont do much chasing any more. At 68 with copd just hope to find a big oak to rest my back make a few yelps clucks and purrs and hope he comes in a Struttin !!!

19-Mar-21
Yes , as with most game seasons u want the majority of hunting to occur after breeding has occurred. If you start hitting anything before they breed you start hurting reproduction and it WILL hurt population going forward . Just because they are gobbling does not mean they should be hunted and killed before they are able to breed

19-Mar-21
Yes , as with most game seasons u want the majority of hunting to occur after breeding has occurred. If you start hitting anything before they breed you start hurting reproduction and it WILL hurt population going forward . Just because they are gobbling does not mean they should be hunted and killed before they are able to breed

22-Mar-21
I totally agree Gobbler. I was referring to the easiest (best) time to hunt them. That is why the good ole boys hunt earlier here. Where I live and hunt earlier is better (easier). Once the season comes in the birds here are educated. I hear more gobbling this time of year too. Not as much after the season starts. Just my experience

23-Mar-21
Yeah, then a week and a half later, they become yard birds. You see them in fields but they totally ignore you. They go from nesting hen to nesting hen. The only way to shoot them is with a rifle, I don't agree to that. Or, you pattern them and set up a blind and the next days you lie in wait, which I don't agree with either. Bushwack them as they make their rounds. May work differently in the woods and hollers, but along the fields that is what they do. Believe it or not, in Kansas that's the way they hunt them and they giggle at us ridge runners.

23-Mar-21
If i knew poachers were out killing turkeys before season. i would be on the phone to local dnr officer or district office with name and location of violation , Only way to stop poaching is to turn them in .

23-Mar-21
Koog, What turkey subspecies are in Kansas are they Eastern or Rio Grande .?

23-Mar-21
I have turned them in. Don’t know who they are. They can’t catch em in the act I’m told. Thought. Jut shooting em and letting lay. But I would be caught. Been doing it for years. I eve. Found someone dumping garbage In the road by my house. Even had a nE on a pizza box. I was told that they had to catch them in the act because the trash could have been stolen and dumped so they couldn’t find the guy. Lol. I gave up

23-Mar-21
Sorry for the poor message above. Sausage fingers in my phone

23-Mar-21
JR, that’s not true and should’t happen. Arrests are made and convictions obtained for illegal dumping all the time based on receipts . If that happens, it’s time to talk to a senior officer

23-Mar-21
Don’t tell me it’s not true. Called the Sheriff’s office and told him what I had . However this was 20 years ago. Sort of soured me so I gave up on it. But it did happen .

23-Mar-21
Don’t tell me it’s not true. Called the Sheriff’s office and told him what I had . However this was 20 years ago. Sort of soured me so I gave up on it. But it did happen .

23-Mar-21
Sorry for double post.

23-Mar-21
Besides. I think the deputy had a hot date lol

23-Mar-21
Now they have cameras here in some spots. Most now dump along the road randomly. They don’t dump where it says there is a camera. Lol

23-Mar-21
Now they have cameras here in some spots. Most now dump along the road randomly. They don’t dump where it says there is a camera. Lol and I am sorry Gobbler if it sounded like I was insinuating that you were calling me a liar. I should have clarified it was 20 years ago I just hate people that poach and dump trash. But I do realize it is hard to catch em and make it stick??

24-Mar-21
Easterners Michael, never happened upon the Rios or the hybrids. The most successful hunters glass the birds and watch where come down. Then watch as they travel from one spot to another so as to find a ambush spot. Needless to say, I'm not one of those successful ones.

24-Mar-21

1buckurout's embedded Photo
1buckurout's embedded Photo

24-Mar-21
Wow thanks Jimmy.

24-Mar-21
Blue and red states lol

24-Mar-21
JR, no problem DNR LE is doing a lot of the illegal dumping right now. Those guys will dig some type of identification out of it if it’s in there

24-Mar-21
Yea I had a sheriff deputy come out but it’s been 20 years ago. They are more serious about now . And they are more serious about poaching too. I can stand either one .

28-Mar-21

28-Mar-21
Nice Wayne. Good Luck

29-Mar-21
The season is too early down here. For the last 2 decades, the best week to kill a gobbler was the last week of the old dates. It simply ends to early here.

29-Mar-21
Mountaineer, we added a week to the season starting this year. You’ll have your old last week back

08-Apr-21
Redbud is in full bloom here. You know what that means?

:^)

08-Apr-21
Yea it means here the good ole boys have called and shot at the birds so much they shut up. Thanks ??

09-Apr-21
Gobbling like crazy last few mornings in McClintic WMA , been hearing birds gobble later in morning also , But as a turkey hunter i have killed my fair share of silent birds , they dont always gobble for what ever reason

09-Apr-21
Truer words were never spoken. I had one come in once to my side and I did not even hear it walking. It never gobbled til it was right beside me and I about wet my pants.

10-Apr-21
Saw two today in the field strutting with a few hens with em.

10-Apr-21
Saw two today in the field strutting with a few hens with em.

10-Apr-21
I was stump shooting Last evening and seen a Tom in a field. I slowly went down on one knee and started scratching in the leaves like a hen. He immediately went into strut and walked within 25 yards. They’re fun to watch, and more fun to shoot!

18-Apr-21
Good luck tomorrow guys. Be safe!

19-Apr-21
Mine will be ready about 5pm tomorrow in the crock pot

20-Apr-21
Wow Wayne. The right CO would have sworn you were hunting. Bow in hand calling turkeys. Good thing stump shooting is legal??

20-Apr-21
But you could have told him to pound sand lol

20-Apr-21
Good luck

22-Apr-21
BS: That didn’t cross my mind!

23-Apr-21
I know it didn’t buddy. I am glad it’s legal. I never knew it was ??

26-Apr-21

Koog's embedded Photo
10.5 inch beard
Koog's embedded Photo
10.5 inch beard
First day out, Friday, took this one. As good as I am with deer I'm equally as lacking with turkey, but every few years I find one willing and this time I obliged.

26-Apr-21

Ron Miller's embedded Photo
Patience was finally Rewarded

26-Apr-21
Very nice guys.

27-Apr-21
Wow ,getin em with a bow Good deal ,

27-Apr-21
Yea this is a bow site. Anyone can get em with a gun ??

27-Apr-21
Yea this is a bow site. Anyone can get em with a gun ??

27-Apr-21
Babysaph, I realize this is a BOWSITE the very reason I didnt post photos of my kill, I think it takes quite the woodsman to take a turkey with a bow and I congratulate any hunter that has done so . If you think ANYONE can kill a turkey with a gun you must have never been taken to the school of woodsmanship by an old long beard tom .

27-Apr-21
I have been. Many times. But you can’t kill a turkey with a bow hunting with a shotgun. Having said that I’m at the point in my life that I can kill a turkey most years with a gun. I’ve gotten better. I’ve had 4 so far in shotgun range. But with my bow stuff happens lol. I meant no disrespect. It’s hard killing them. With anything. I apologize.

28-Apr-21
Congrats on the birds. I’m hunting with the recurve this morning. My third time out with the bow. The two previous times I called in long beards to 20 yards without getting a shot. I’ve been out every other day calling for family members, and not carrying a weapon. Good luck guys.

28-Apr-21
Congrats on the birds. I’m hunting with the recurve this morning. My third time out with the bow. The two previous times I called in long beards to 20 yards without getting a shot. I’ve been out every other day calling for family members, and not carrying a weapon. Good luck guys.

28-Apr-21
Good Luck Wayne. A lot has to go right for sure.

28-Apr-21
Good Luck Wayne. A lot has to go right for sure.

30-Apr-21
Thanks, it's tough with a bow, as JR said, you have to be patient, I've had Gobblers at 20-25 yards, but my Self-imposed limit is 15 yards, they are Tough, even with a Shotgun, Good Luck

01-May-21
They are. Nice trophy and Pic.

01-May-21
They are. Nice trophy and Pic.

14-May-21

My 2nd Gobbler didn't come easy, but with bow and arrow, they almost never do

14-May-21

14-May-21
Very nice and congrats. Another beautiful bird and picture

14-May-21
Congrats!!!

15-May-21
Congrats... I’m beginning to hate them!

15-May-21
Thanks

15-May-21
Congratulations

15-May-21

Grass, Acorns and Pawpaw Seeds, the acorns are still good

16-May-21

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Not for sure if the arrow did him in or the two jakes with him who started flogging his butt after he was flopping!

16-May-21
I'd say , You done him in, them Jakes was just thumping him with Blunts, and having fun, Congratulations

16-May-21
Thanks Ron! Hopefully I can go after number 2 later this week. I like that additional week! The two jakes were my Jack and Lacie! I love seeing your pics!

16-May-21
Congrats JD. awesome

16-May-21
Thanks JR!

• Sitka Gear