RUGER1022 24-Mar-21
smokey 27-Mar-21
Live2Hunt 27-Mar-21
RUGER1022 27-Mar-21
RUGER1022 27-Mar-21
Casekiska 27-Mar-21
Casekiska 27-Mar-21
13-Mar-21
Finally got out for the first time this year,...couldn't before due to deep snow on the road into camp. Great to get out again & breath the fresh air of the deer woods. Saw a lot of sign from last fall. No deer. Some of the mock scrapes I made in October had fresh tracks in them. It was good to see 'em,... and brought a smile to my face after a tough winter. I suspect the attraction of these spots is now the overhanging branch as a communication facilitator and not the scraped earth as a rut indicator. Looked for sheds,...no, nada, nothing. But then I never do well finding them. I did find one of my arrows from last fall,...one of my practice shots from stand. Came home with two ticks, didn't like much finding them. Anyone else? How's your spring scouting going?

14-Mar-21
I have been out scouting for turkeys in the deer woods but have not run into any ticks in Calumet County. You can keep them by you. LOL

14-Mar-21

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
Bill , I walked 1 of my favorite Deer spots Friday & found no Deer sign & as the picture shows, left over Acorns. I have never saw left over acorns not ever . Not a good sign .

Picked up a tick Saturday noon .

14-Mar-21
I got out yesterday afternoon on some county land for a couple hour walk. Light on deer sign but, flushed up 3 grouse. No ticks.

14-Mar-21

Walked 3 miles in today . Talk about remote , No cig butts or empty shells . I did find & take out with me a seat cushion marked Milw. Braves . & 2 P B R cans that were steel ( 1940's )

No sheds.

14-Mar-21
Nothing beats springtime in the woods. Gorgeous weather this weekend for it. While many are playing bumper boats below the dams, I had the whole place to myself. I guess thats why spring is my favorite time. Solitude is tough to come by in the fall anymore. With the mild winter Im optimistic that the big woods should not disappoint this year. Ive got my trees picked out. Come fall, its a matter of timing...

14-Mar-21

WI Shedhead's embedded Photo
WI Shedhead's embedded Photo
First time out this spring what a beautiful weekend With my two boys and dad at his place in Iowa The boys and I walked 22 miles on the onX in two days. 9 sheds, 4 deadheads and got permission to hunt another nice farm. Just getting started, have 3 places in Wisconsin and my lease in Nebraska to look for more horns

14-Mar-21
Looks like an aluminum top can...1960's or later

15-Mar-21

Thanks BCD

I saw this Sunday high up on a steep hill . About 15 ft dia. Circle. 3 layers of stone & rock . A door opening & a 9 foot drop below ground level. I don't think its a Silo on a hi ridge with deep drops on all sides . Theres a 50 year old tree growing thru the middle .

Any guesses ? Something to do with logging a long time back ?

15-Mar-21
Ruger - that's really interesting! Could it be a stone cabin sort of structure that once had a wooden roof? Who knows, the possibilities are endless. Any trace of a firepit in it? The state historical society might be interested. Wonder what they would say? I don't know that indigenous Wisconsinites build stone structures, any body?

15-Mar-21
Ruger, that is interesting for sure. You just have to wonder, maybe ask around? I would like to know also. It is pretty cool to walk around the big northwoods and find these things. I have found 2 logging camps way back in the Cheq. Forest where we deer hunt, love to be able to metal detect them. I've been out also, but on frozen lakes chasing bull gills. Found some nice ones this past weekend, kept 26 in 2 days 8-9". Released 1 that was 10", beautiful fish. Great weather to be on a lake.

15-Mar-21

I thought it might have been for ice storage being 9 foot deep with 2 foot walls .

I also thought about a metal detector .

15-Mar-21
It would be interesting to see that structure. It might be a ground silo. If you get back, look around for some square low berms in the area indicating some other buildings had been there.

Be careful with metal detecting on National Forest. Or removing any artifacts. Some detecting is allowed but some are not. Check out 36 CFR 261.9 and ARPA.

15-Mar-21
Smokey, what detecting is allowed? It says no digging, I assume not even a small shovel hole?

15-Mar-21
Mostly, recreation areas like campgrounds unless posted otherwise. ARPA: "No person may excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface or attempt to excavate, remove, damage or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resources located on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit...” If you find a coin that is not of archaeological significance, you can keep it. But if it has historical significance then it can't be removed. As are many other items.

There are allowable use such as prospecting but you need a permit for that.

15-Mar-21

Smokey, I had several metal detectors when I lived in NV . We would sit on a mountain top near the Wagon train trails . When the Sun came up you could see indentations in the sand of the exact route that hundreds of wagon trains took in the 1830's & 40's on their way to CA

We would walk 5 miles looking visually & use the metal detector on the way back . Found everything from wagon parts , gunparts, arrow heads & human bones. We would show the stuff to the state & they would pick a few things out .

16-Mar-21
Rugar, nice stuff in the photo. I do not know State law in Nevada, just Federal land laws. I have found sites ransacked on USFS lands and even a few people selling. Several years ago, a local and very well-known guy has out shed hunting, he found a very old rifle on the Chequamegon. I was showing it to a lot of folks until the Forest Service LEO caught wind of it. He was cited but did have to forfeit the gun that is now locked in a vault. Too bad. The USFS probably would never have found it and as far as I know, there has never been a further survey of the area.

16-Mar-21
Lot of spots I have been through in the Cheq. I would love to detect. I'm willing to bet you could find some cool items following those old CCC telegraph lines running through the backcountry, old logging camps back in. I know of one camp that there is one of those nickel coated stoves standing. The stove is kind of melted down, but there are other items scattered around. Saw blades, metal dishes, etc. Nice deer stand site also, long ways back in.

16-Mar-21

You would have loved Nevada . Mostly sand , 3 % humidity preserved most stuff . We made 5 ft broomsticks with a 6 in metal rod in the end . You walked along & moved stuff around with the stick so you wouldn't have to bend over constantly , plus you needed to check to see if there was a Black Widow & Scorpion under it . You also used it to lift a Rattlesnake out of your path . Took home lots of Artifacts . It was BLM land & we had a list of what you could & could not take .

I'm going back this summer for a Month to visit both Daughters & grandkids , 1 in NV , 1 in AZ & to just walk the Desert. With my stick .

16-Mar-21
Cool stuff Ruger. Sounds fun, I'm not much for the heat down there though.

16-Mar-21
Cool Archery Stuff

The tiny broadheads on the above pic are very rare. The Paiute tribe hunted swans, a local NV bird ( they still have a season on them ) the natives would hide in the hi marsh grass & cattails waiting for Swans & other birds to swim by . Being waist deep required short bows . The bows were about 30 inches & the arrows about 18 inches .

The average shot was about 15 feet . A good friend gave me them plus an original bow . When he passed away he got the bow back .

18-Mar-21

Remember last Nov. While scoutting I got stuck in some nasty black muck . I went back to check it out. Its loaded with Deer sign . I found an island of hi ground in the middle of this mucky swamp . Everytime I tried to get to the island I started sinking again .

As I was fighting my way thru some Tag Alders I found this small stream . It passes within 20 yards of the Island of hi ground . Its full of Deer tracks, Friday I'll come back with the Rubber boots & walk the stream which is solid. Wow , talk about a spot for next years rut .

While resting a few minutes a little Brookie swam past . Shot Coyote # 5 last nite at 7:30 . I'm just about done , the Walleyes are starting to stage & 4 dams will keep me busy .

18-Mar-21
Looks like a great spot for both deer and brookies. I have one more day to cook sap (tomorrow) and then I am off to get some walleyes also. Next week should be good. I will wait until Monday to go, I hate the weekend crowd at the boat landings.

18-Mar-21
An island of high ground in the middle of a low ground swamp...yep, a paradise for the buck hunter. I found such a spot back in the eighties in Sawyer County,...tough to get to but rewarding. Never shot a buck there, but the adventure of a number of close encounters was unforgettable. Good luck next fall with the secluded island you found Ruger.

18-Mar-21
Huh, I also have a spot like that in Sawyer. Can't get to the island without busting it out though, wet, very wet and nasty. That one storm a few years ago nocked a lot of trees down and it is a mess. The only hope is to watch from the mainland and hope. One problem, a guy has a perpetual bait pile on an edge that keeps any deer movement till after dark.

18-Mar-21

I had a similar spot north of Tomahawk 20 years ago & busted 2 nice Bucks & choked on another .

You know the Bruiser s will hide on that Island after partying all night . Like Case said , its tough. You need to be on the Island waiting for him an hour before sunup .

The 145 I shot in Tomahawk was exhausted, soaking wet & didn't even lift its head up when My bow ticked a branch .

Last Yote hunt tonite , going back to the spot where I saw that huge dirty grey thing . If It shows tonite the AR will bark .

18-Mar-21

WiClovis's embedded Photo
WiClovis's embedded Photo
Ruger, I have been looking for arrowheads for just over 13 years now. I have probably a dozen or so frames of them (all found in Wisconsin). Here is an example frame. Cool to see other guys that look for them.

18-Mar-21

Very nice , I have been lucky enough to bounce around the country & pick a few . I love Absidian 's . These North Dakota heads are hard to find Amber Absidian. My best WI pics are a corn grinder & war Axe . My best MN pics are painted turtle shell & a quiver covered with painted clam shells.

Nice , do you have any fishing " stuff " ?

19-Mar-21

Bartman's embedded Photo
Bartman's embedded Photo
Cool to see some point collectors. I have known 2 serious point collectors. One is my cousin who has found and cataloged over 10,000 points. The pictures below are from another local collector that displays his collection very nicely at a local museum I have done the automation of.

19-Mar-21

Bartman's embedded Photo
Bartman's embedded Photo
Another picture

19-Mar-21

Bartman's embedded Photo
Bartman's embedded Photo

19-Mar-21

Bartman's embedded Photo
Bartman's embedded Photo

19-Mar-21

Bartman's embedded Photo
Bartman's embedded Photo

19-Mar-21

Bartman's embedded Photo
Bartman's embedded Photo

19-Mar-21
Beautiful displays!

19-Mar-21
Wow, nice stuff there guys. I've known people who find or have found arrowheads. I have looked, not hard though, but some just seem to look down and find them.

19-Mar-21
That is so cool. Imagine all the work that went into creating and then eventually finding these. Then imagine all the work the artifacts did themselves. The stories they could tell!!!!

19-Mar-21

19-Mar-21

Blackfoot tribe , 1840's . Used to crush berries in & make warpaint .

19-Mar-21
1900 Quiver, MN tribe unknown . Arrows

19-Mar-21

1900 Quiver, MN tribe unknown . Arrows ND / MT SOUIX 1880'S .

20-Mar-21
Years ago there was a local guy that will remain nameless, now deceased, that would make "Indian artifacts". Arrows, arrowheads, etc. He would bury them for a year then dig them up and sell them as authentic to tourists.

I wonder how many people still have some of those and still think they have the real deal.

20-Mar-21
Smokey , 80 % of the Artifacts sold on line are freshly made . When you drive thru certain parts of AZ & N M the tribes advertise " Artifacts " on billboards .

My stuff was found by me or trustworthy people. My best find was pottery & Antler necklace 's in a NV cave . They are on display in NV . I leave for across country hunting trips a day or 2 Ahead to hit garage sales & walk a few fields .

15 years ago a fellow Ruger collector stopped at a garage sale in MT . He bought some nice artifacts & a Springfield carbine in 45-90 . The gun was in rough shape but the serial# was legible. It was painted blue with brass tacks & 2 eagle feathers tied to the trigger guard.

I knew what it was & told him it serial # "ed to the 7th calvary. ( Custers regiment ) . I offered him 20,000 . He said laughing, " your a bit lite , A Springfield collector was on his way to buy it for $ 125,000 . Not a bad $50 garage sale find .

20-Mar-21
Ruger, I beleive yours are the real deal. I was just bringing up a little local history. When I was living near Cumberland in the 50s and 60s there were a few farm fields that every time they got plowed up, people would walk over them and find arrowheads.

Over the years when I was firefighting out west, we often would find artifacts. I left them so others could enjoy them if they came across them but some of the other guys would take them even though it was not legal in most cases.

22-Mar-21

Scoutting for Turkey season today ( 5 grandkids ). Ran into this Barbwire running thru this 12 inch Oak . Must of took a long time to feed that thru .

24-Mar-21

So here I am walking in a driving rainstorm in a huge swamp. I kept going deeper because of some amazing Deer sign . Its getting dark & I'm not sure of my location. I circled 2 ponds & got turned around . I have no GPS or compass .

Then the bell rung . I went to a hi point & put a Compass on my phone & 1 1/2 miles later I'm at the Jeep .

Gotta love modern technology. A few years back I would still be out there .

27-Mar-21
Photography can be a hazardous pursuit. Friday morning I went out at first light to photograph an unnamed waterfall. I walked about one mile from my truck on a fairly level path but had to go on a hillside to avoid a water hole at one point. Not finding the waterfall I turned back and followed my path exactly. After getting past the hillside I placed my left foot into one of my previous tracks and instantly it slipped down between three boulders and was solidly stuck. I was worried I broke my leg but found it was alright but could not pull it out of the hole. Chewing off my leg wasn't probably an option. I couldn't reach the boot to untie it either. I was dressed for the cold but no cell signal and no one knew where I was. NOT GOOD! After some thought and prayer, I worked my leg around until I felt I could pull it out. To the right no, the left yes. It took several attempts and a few minutes but I got out. I could walk on it lightly as long as I stayed on even ground but a few times, still looking for the waterfall, I did hit some uneven ground and... I know that there is a trick for getting stuck legs out in this situation but it requires a piece of rope. I will carry that now and a few other things. I won't be biking for a while now. I never found the waterfall but will go back after the snow leaves and I can see where I am placing my feet better.

I plan on buying a Garmin InReach Explorer so I can get help if needed. I can't afford it but can't afford not to have it either.

27-Mar-21
Glad you got out Smokey, but, chewing your leg off would have made more of a story!!

27-Mar-21

I went back to my latest hot spot Friday . Great potential for next year . Picked 2 spots for ground blinds & will finish those in April & won't go back to this spot until Sept ..

Took a nasty fall caused by a mossy rock covered by Leaves . Sore knee . The Daughters want to put a locator on my phone so they can find the body .

This is a great spot but it really is a heck of a walk in . But its a bedding area for Bruisers .

At age 65 I started getting yearly physicals . The Nurse starts out by asking me how many steps I take to get in the house or down to the basement. I know why now .

Those lightning quick & happy feet aren't so quick & happy anymore. For you guys in your 50's , 60's ,& 70's . Get those physicals .

27-Mar-21

The bedding area , thick , nasty , wet with a few hi & dry spots . I think I have located the entrance & exits . I will clean a trailcam & install during the rain today .

27-Mar-21

Casekiska's embedded Photo
Casekiska's embedded Photo
Hope this works...trying to teach myself how to add pics to messages posted...these are two photos from last fall...hope they come through. We'll see.....

27-Mar-21
Opps...only one pic came through...gotta work on this some more! Will keep trying I guess...

• Sitka Gear