crestedbutte 29-Mar-21
sitO 29-Mar-21
crestedbutte 27-Apr-21
23-Mar-21

One Arrow's embedded Photo
I bought a new blind this Turkey season for a couple of reasons.

1 - my old Primos Double Bull (purchased when they first came out), simply has too many large holes... the cloth is beyond repair. Not complaining, I got my money’s worth out of it for sure. Good blind.

2 - my daughter (6) wants to tag along this year on my sons Turkey hunt. The Double Bull would work, but it would be tight. If my wife wants to go, no way we would all fit.

After looking online and studying for hours I bought a Barronette blind. I’d never really heard of them before, but they were in my price range and I needed a large blind.

Received it today. At first glance, it’s a beast. I think my wife, 2 kids, and myself could easily fit in here with 2 of us positioned to shoot. Outer layer seems very durable “Ox Hide”.

Anyone else tried these blinds? Durability?

This model would be a bear to pack in very far. Easy to set-up by one person, but take down would be better with 2 if you want to get it in its bag easily.

I’m hoping to get several seasons out of it, mainly youth Turkey, as my son loves it. Honestly, I could care less if I shoot another Turkey, but it may be used when I need a quick change setup for deer. Although very large they have set it up to easily brush it in.

I can follow up on our experience with this blind if no one has used one.

23-Mar-21

Try this...

23-Mar-21
Sorry, Only took 4 tries to get the blind photo to orient correctly.

23-Mar-21
I currently have a Roger’s Sporting Goods brand blind and I love it. It’s held up for over 2 years now. Before that I had a cheap Primos brand (not Double Bull) and it would rip if you looked at it funny. I think the quality of the fabric is the most important aspect of a good ground blind, IMO.

23-Mar-21
I have one of their blinds. I have had it for 5-6 yrs, most of that time it has sat in it’s carrying bag on the shelf. I used it 3 yrs ago for a weekend youth hunt when I took a first time hunter turkey hunting. I had no issues with it then. It went up easily, came down easier. I stored it dry in the bag, in my garage until last season. When I sat it up to deer hunt with it last fall, several of the loops that the stakes go thru to secure it down, tore off in my hand as I pushed the stakes into the ground. All of the zipper tabs used to pull the zippers opened or closed came off when I used them. During a high wind day, the parachute cords used along the sides and back of the blind, all broke or shredded. I predict it will not give you the same lifespan the DB did Ray.

23-Mar-21

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
We’ve had this Baronette 2-plus years. It’s been used in the wide-open prairies of Gove County taking birders from several countries and quite a few states.

Also left it up several weeks in Elk County. Perfect for the quadriplegic deer hunters we took because we could open one end, and they could easily get the TrackChair in, and have room for the chair to maneuver.

Used it on 10-12 youth deer hunts and plenty of room for youth, parents, mentor...

Stakes they send aren’t Kansas-worthy. Buddy’s daughter used it for a tent on a camping trip. I plan on doing the same this summer.

Paid $250 for it. I’m danged impressed, as has been the Gove County rancher and the ranch manager in Elk County.

23-Mar-21
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I too, am not impressed with the stakes they sent. Those won’t be going into the woods with me. Randy, those loops and straps seem to get brittle. My DB did the same thing, though I think they lasted a bit longer than yours before breaking.

I saw that behemoth for sale Mike... I would imagine it would work great as a tent.

Actually my kids made that comment when inside mine. Although mine is much smaller, I’m pretty sure I could lay down in it comfortably. Maybe lay a tarp down to set it on?

24-Mar-21
Some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet or Astroturf cut to the right size, works great for a floor liner, One Arrow.

24-Mar-21
We have carpet scraps in most, especially of taking in cameras and lenses.

A lot of variables and changes, and not always for the positive.

24-Mar-21
We have been using the Barronett Grounder 350 for six or seven years now. Generally we have three set up and left out from 5 months a year to a full 12 months depending on whether they are located in a cattle pasture area or not. This is in the north end of the flint hills area of Kansas. The 12 month exposed blinds last at least two years sometimes three if in a shaded location as the sun does a number on the cloth. We use our own stakes and generally replace the tie down cord after a few months. The windows are, in our opinion, too big top to bottom so we get a large piece of heavy black felt and custom cut a chunk that covers roughly the top half of the big window. The blinds will collapse if it snows much. We have considered using a center stake to hold them up but the collapse really hasn't been too much of a problem to fix. We have had a couple of times when a Kansas thunderstorm wind has blown the blind loose from its moorings leaving a pile of cloth and supports hung in a tree. Those occasions require some time to sort out what is where but have not caused much real damage in terms of functionality of the blind just some time to rearrange and set up again.

24-Mar-21

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Thought this new $250 Rhino 180 deg. see thru concept is kind of interesting. Don’t know much about the quality of Rhino blinds but very very interesting. Thoughts, opinions?

24-Mar-21

24-Mar-21
That’s really neat

24-Mar-21
I’ve set in one. Very cool, wanted one, but I am skeptical about taking my kids in it.

I have to wonder about taking kids in them and I would think your movement would be picked up easier because of all the light let in. I would think you’d need to have the “windows” closed pretty tight.

Thanks for all the comments and tips. Like the carpet idea.

25-Mar-21
That see through blind looks interesting Jason, but I'd have to see one set up out in the woods with someone inside of it during daylight hours in person to believe you couldn't be seen thru it from the outside. One of my biggest complaints about blind hunting is not being able to have a 360 deg. view.

The spikes for the Barronette did fine until the wind broke 40mph when the ground was wet. When mine took flight, I still haven't found 5 of them on bare ground, they probably flew like missiles into the next county when they pulled out. What do you guys use for yours Mike and Ray?

25-Mar-21
So the Wildlife can’t see in and therefore I wouldn’t have to be still. I’m already feeling like I’m not a hunter for using corn. Along with my Triple C camera out and my Ozonics covering my scent I could have a dance off in the blind. As I pull my bow back on a deer I could be doing the Dougie....well maybe not in Kentucky.

25-Mar-21
Wow love that Rhino Blind

25-Mar-21
Randy, it might be over kill, but I’ll use ground anchors on the corners. Barbed tent pegs the rest of the way around.

25-Mar-21

For the skeptics, make sure you watch the first 35 seconds of the video....and that is naked without any brush, leaves or limbs installed in the perimeter brush-in straps/loops.

25-Mar-21
Not saying it won’t work, but I’m still a skeptic for kids or anyone who moves a lot.

I want to see what it looks like with a window open. It obviously lets a lot of light in, thus any movement in the window will be seen easily, that’s just a hunch. Put that red funnel at eye level with the window open in the back of the blind and I bet it sticks out. You wouldn’t even see it in a regular blind.

If the windows open, you can see right through the whole blind.

25-Mar-21
Good points and no argument there. No matter the blind type I still think it is in the best interest of the hunters in it to wear all black to blend into the black interior of the blind no matter how much or how little the light penetrates within it or how much or how little the hunters move around while in it.

25-Mar-21
Created, personally I’d like to own one. I think it would be great to see in every direction and feel like you are just sitting in the open woods.

Has to be crazy to have a Turkey or deer within feet and feel like you are completely exposed.

I just don’t want to spend the extra coin on an additional blind that I don’t think would work for my kids at this point in their life.

26-Mar-21
No doubt very understandable.

26-Mar-21
This is funny to me, I've taken at least 15 different kids on their first Turkey hunt and never used a blind. Have we "boogered" a few...yep, but there's a possibility y'all could be overthinking this. Have fun and enjoy all of the sights/sounds of being out-of-doors!

27-Mar-21
How many 6 year olds, Kyle?

I’ve taken several kids now. One thing I’ve learned is they are all different. Guarantee if you took one of the kids I took you wouldn’t have seen the front side of a bird within 100 yards. Severe ADHD, with motor skill issues. He was successful because of that blind.

With kids, I’ve never been busted by a Turkey in a blind set up correctly yet.

Like I said before, I don’t care if I ever kill another Turkey, but will have fun if I do. When I solo hunted turkeys hard I never used one and never called them in. Always stalking/sneaking up on them. I enjoyed the work and I was such a mess I usually had to wash my clothes after each hunt. Good memories.

Actually, I credit those days to a lot of my success on white tails... learned a lot.

27-Mar-21
They're all different Ray, you're right, good luck this Spring!

27-Mar-21
Good luck to you as well Kyle... I know you’ll get it done the right way.

28-Mar-21
That is some new blind!

Kyle, I am always impressed by your success without a blind. The only way I have ever done that is while in a tree stand during the fall. Never been successful without a blind in the Spring except on walking into one at full strut with his tail faced at me. Your videos are superb on this, but you have an ability some of us just lack!

28-Mar-21
Have fun, Ray.

A blind lets you add things like breakfast, bringing a younger sibling or non-hunting parent or grandparent. It’s also easier to explain what’s going on.

We end up having to take kids and at least one parent from non-hunting families. Good camo is seldom with them, or warm enough clothing.

My kids never used them growing up but they were raised around it and pretty dedicated. Our daughter sat in 4” of water on an Osceola hunt.

Her last deer hunt she used a blind with me, to get out of the wind and so we could visit a bit, and share a big azz bag of snacks. Seemed perfect at the time.

28-Mar-21
All joking aside I tried sitting in a tent years ago and hated it....felt like I never left the house. I didn’t get to receive the joy of watching a bird land on my arrow before realizing it wasn’t a branch or the massage your back receives through the trunk of a tree that a squirrel is scrambling around in. The tent also doesn’t offer the excitement of being sprung from the base of a cedar tree thinking the rustling of grass behind you is a badger only to find yourself staring into the eyes of an innocent opossum. Then you wanting to kill it cause it made you made grab yourself between your legs to remind yourself of your gender. The tent also doesn’t allow you the pleasure of getting snowed on or getting a little wet when it rains.

Same thing for the kiddos. If you make it too easy for them and they feel like they’re taking the house with them they could get bored. I think it’s alright to teach them that at that time they have to have to do things a little different and there can be a some discomfort but the rewards of being outside is great. A few times I’ve had to witness tears running down Utah’s face when he was a kid cause I let him stay too long out in the elements and it made me feel pretty bad. Around 13yrs old he seemed to lose a little interest but since he switched to a bow the next year he got his drive back. He no longer wants me to sit with him but I’m pretty sure he’s enjoying it. He’s had plenty of long sits the last couple of years and hasn’t got the chance to pull back his bow yet but I’m pretty sure when he takes his first deer with a bow tears will again follow. Who knows...if I made it easier for him back then he might have already gave up. It seems people are teaching just the opposite now...heard I’m supposed to be receiving a check through the mail for something I haven’t even worked for. Something ain’t right.

29-Mar-21
be still.... honestly, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

We have created a lot of “easy buttons” in this world. Compounds, crossbows, muzzleloaders that shoot effectively beyond 200 yds, cellular cameras, baiting. It all makes it easier... and honestly takes away some/all of the romance of the hunt, IMO.

Ravin makes a legitimate 500 FPS crossbow now... how much longer before they are 600, 700, 800? I remember when this xbow legislation first came out one of the top supporters that was on here said that the physics and technology was about maxed out. How wrong was he?!!

It won’t ever change and I’ve been at a crossroads the last 4 or 5 years because of it. Outfitters have pushed me over the edge. Seriously, affected me and I shouldn’t have let it. The last year I flat switched my thinking... I’m going to do whatever I can (legally and ethically) to enjoy my time in the woods and also put myself on an even playing field with the jack wagons dumping corn 100 yards on the property line and charging $2,500 to kill a buck that I had watched and waited to have a child hunt.

In the late 90’s I went 100% archery although I started out rifle hunting. It’s still the hunting method I’m most passionate about. Always hoped I would have been good enough to take one with my recurve... I’m afraid my body just won’t ever let that happen at this point.

Honestly, I’ve got limited time. Planting season is upon us and this will be the 3rd year in a row we are trying to cram all aspects of planting corn (dry fertilizer, NH3, tillage, planting) in a 2 week time frame... if Mother Nature allows. I might be able to take my son once or maybe twice during the entire Turkey season. I’ll take all the help I can get. Especially since my 6 year old, ants in her pants, daughter wants to tag along. My son and I have actually tried a couple of times to sneak up on them.... you are right, it’s a completely different experience to be in the wide-open. More fun, more real.

You do you... I love the fact you still have that drive to keep it as pure and real as you can. A successful hunt isn’t about the kill... I’ve been pretty good about drilling that into my kids. Last year I took my son ONCE, all I had time for. Didn’t get a Turkey... on the way out he said. “Well maybe next year”. He knew that was our one hunt. That hit a nerve pretty hard for me.

Good luck all.

29-Mar-21
Ray I think I messed up again and my post got a little carried away. Don’t drink much anymore but last night watching basketball they started going down easy and then for some reason it fooled me into thinking I’m a hunter. I’ve used the excuse of myself using bait cause of neighbors but in reality when I first got up there I didn’t know if they did or not and I made that choice to do so. What I said is true that I love being out there but I’m in no position to tell someone how to hunt. Sure hope your boy gets one this time around.

29-Mar-21

crestedbutte's Link
If you take "yutes" out that have ants in their pants, you feel like you're cheatin sitting in a traditional enclosed blind, are skeptical of the new 180 blinds (see above), need to feel the morning mist on your lips, feel that gobblers ? shaped droppings hitting your shoulder from above or just too lazy to build a natural brush blind......maybe this is for you!

29-Mar-21

29-Mar-21
My buddy Mike has a Ghost blind, it's cool...but heavy, and in my opinion would be hard to shoot over with a bow w/o being picked off. Maybe he'll chime in here...

27-Apr-21
Primos 360 degree blind if Rhino 180 degree ain't to your liking.

• Sitka Gear