Thornton 02-Apr-21
Thornton 02-Apr-21
Chief 02-Apr-21
sitO 02-Apr-21
Chief 02-Apr-21
Thornton 03-Apr-21
Chief 03-Apr-21
25-Mar-21
I’m not a member. I was once for a couple years when I was younger.

Just curious, how many die hard bow hunters are members?

I realize the 2nd amendment had nothing to with hunting. Personally, I do not like a lot of what the NRA has done, but with the current climate in D.C., and all of America frankly, I’m beginning to think I need to revisit this.

Any better organizations?

25-Mar-21
I’m a Patron level member in the NRA.

25-Mar-21
No more money from me until Wayne LaPierre is gone. Gun Owners of America is the next best alternative.

26-Mar-21
With the 2nd giving us the right to keep and bear, and the 4th against unlawful search and seizures, and we all have been seeing on the social medias, the doom and gloom of "the sky is falling", they are coming to take your guns! I ask, Who is they? and I also ask How? Just how would "they" achieve such a gigantic task, legally?

I have thought about this a lot. I can not come up with any scenario in my head of how this would be done and by who. If "they" come to your door and knock and say give me your guns, "they must have a reasonable cause to SEARCH and SEIZE your weapons, AND, MOST IMPORTANT, who ever it is, must have a search warrant, obtained by enough reasonable evidence to convinced a judge, that a crime has been committed with a weapon in your possession or on your property. Only a JUDGE can issue a search warrant.

It ain't going to happen just because some deranged idiot has gone amok. It ain't going to happen because some of "they" in congress believes law abiding citizens don't need guns. The private citizens of the United States (estimated) own almost 400 million firearms. I think such a task is unachievable.

If I was a police officer, or If I was a military employee, and my supervisor came to me and said today you, and a task force of officers are going to start confiscating weapons from private citizens, I believe there would be mass of employees telling the supervisors to go to hell.

Really folks, think about it, it ain't going to happen. I also believe that these gun rights organizations feed off of these incidents of mass killings and the media coverage of it. It is a platform for a gain in their membership. I belonged for one year, then I came to my senses. I personally have never thought I needed a gun organizations support.

I would be interested in hearing how and by whom such an task would be completed. Convince me I should go bury my guns.

26-Mar-21
I agree Dale, and few if any would give up their guns voluntarily...nor do they need to. I was a member for many years, right up until they helped lobby the KS legislature for Xgun full inclusion. They'll never get another of my dime's.

26-Mar-21
I was for years. Got tired of dinner time phone calls. With everything going on these days I’d be tempted but the organization has some major issues right now.

26-Mar-21
I have zero fear of door to door confiscations like what you describe Chief.

I suspect they will tax and criminalize gun owners, and attack manufacturing through liability.

Possibilities; You get pulled over coming home from a coyote hunt. LEO sees a banned gun in the passenger seat and now you are a convicted felon (with all the life long consequences of being a felon).

You refuse to register your guns and pay a huge tax on them each year... house burns down... fire department finds 10 unregistered guns in the basement. You are now a convicted felon with major fines to pay.

I truly think taxation and criminalization like this is a possibility. No swat teams needed, no confiscations, no combat, nothing intrusive. Just the threat of financial ruin and a criminal record.

My stance on the NRA; I've always valued their extreme stance on 2A as it takes an extremist to fight an extremist. I dropped my membership a very long time ago though. Was sick of the non-stop push for more money, plus I feel they have some administrative issues. I bought a new membershit right after the election though. Figured I would feel guilty if I didn't at least try to fight the new administration in DC. Kind of like the crossbow inclusion thing. I can stand on solid ground knowing that I sent emails and made contacts to voice my opinion on the matter. Would have no right to gripe if I hadn't.

26-Mar-21
With red flag laws and other ways to get around illegal search and seisure they don't need a warrant, scary.

26-Mar-21
I posted above as being a Patron member. I want to add to that. Have been a lifer for over 30 years. I have ceased giving them any money until the corrupt people at the top are gone. I rarely get a request for money from them, never a phone call. But recently received a mailing asking for a donation. I wrote on it “ not until Wayne is gone” and sent it back in the postage paid envelope. Having said that, the NRA has done a tremendous amount of work for law abiding gun owners in the USA. I do not agree with 100% of their actions, but overall, setting aside for a moment the corruption by a few, they have helped preserve a lot of our rights and defeated many politicians that want to take your guns. Without the NRA the past 70 or so years, we would have a hugely different gun ownership situation.

26-Mar-21
I am a member and have been for about 40 years. I definitely have some concerns about the NRA and their current operation. I hated their stance on Xbows. I still have often held my nose and written the check every year.

I am not totally convinced that no one will never come to get our guns. What if they make my semi-automatic shotgun illegal and I don't think that is out of the question. If I do not turn it in I am a felon and no longer allowed to legally own firearms. As others have said I feel the more likely scenario is a heavy tax on owning a firearm or on ammunition. I know it is supposedly a temporary situation but have you tried to buy ammunition lately. Rifle ammunition does not exist in most stores. There is very little if any shotgun shells. I don't underestimate the anti-gun crowd's schemes to do away with our guns.

26-Mar-21
Dale and Kyle: it is very achievable and residents of California and NYC are experiencing this. Many semi auto guns are banned, and even lead bullets are banned in CA. What "they" are trying to do is add laws to existing privileges we already have. $200 tax for every gun, psych eval to even own guns, banning certain guns and 30 round mags. Failure to do so would result in imprisonment. I own several silencers. If I had not passed the 6 month background check and paid my $200 tax stamp for each one to the BATF, I could be imprisoned for up to ten years. The same goes for the laws they are proposing on so called "assault rifles". Here's how it will play out if these new laws pass and we don't comply: One warm Sunday afternoon you and your kids dig out the Ruger 10/22 and your AR-15 to rattle off some bullets behind the pond dam. You have a liberal neighbor 1/2 a mile away that hates guns and knows about the new laws. This neighbor calls 911 to report close proximity rapid fire and 2 sherriff deputies arrive at your house. Their first questions will be if you are licensed and what guns you are shooting. From that point on your mind will be chaos, wondering what lawyer to call, and how to keep your kids out of it.

26-Mar-21
Keepemsharp, I'm not to sure of this, but the red flag law only allows confiscation for a set time period, something like 60 days or less. A very functional response for law enforcement to use on someone who is throwing up "red flags" by acting irrational with a fire arm.

Like setting across the street from a school with a gun in your hand, or in wally worlds parking lot. Used as a cool down period for irrational actions was the intent. We all know about lawyers and twisted words in courts. It's not scary, if you are a legal/rational acting person.

twodogs@work ''What if they make my semi-automatic shotgun illegal and I don't think that is out of the question. If I do not turn it in I am a felon and no longer allowed to legally own firearms".******

Not saying that would never happen, but thousands and thousands of Lawyers, judges, law enforcement, military, people who all hunt and own firearms, Unenforceable, and I say that because any reasonable person could not be forced to enforce, such a law against the masses.

catscratch****Possibilities; "You get pulled over coming home from a coyote hunt. LEO sees a banned gun in the passenger seat and now you are a convicted felon (with all the life long consequences of being a felon)."

Do we have any banned gun now? Other than the bump stocks, fully automatics, and so called assault weapon semi automatics, in some states with high capacity clips. These sort of weapons are not needed for hunting or carrying around in your vehicle. Only for those that want to act macho man. ******"You refuse to register your guns and pay a huge tax on them each year... house burns down... fire department finds 10 unregistered guns in the basement. You are now a convicted felon with major fines to pay." Having to register guns ,(new bought guns, from a dealer as we know, has been a fact for a long time now. Other than sales tax when bought is the only tax we ever pay on them. Not saying this scenario would ever come to pass, but Highly unlikely. Registering your guns should not be a problem to anyone who is law abiding. Paying a continued tax on them would be a problem. Hell, we're taxed on everything else, so could happen.

Why is there such a shortage of ammunition? anyone know?

I suspect that the manufactures of ammunition are on the boat of cutting the supply and not satisfying the demand, so raised prices could be effected. Alone with the hoarding of ammunition by those who are fearful of "they" are coming to take our guns.

However, I do believe that there will be a continual approach by left wing anti gun legislators, to attempt to introduce legislation with fear tactics every time a metal ill person goes off the deep end. And, as usual will be backed by left wing news media Hype.

And because of that, I am happy, I guess is a way to put it, that the NRA exists. I too, believe there will never be a door to door confiscation attempt. Wow, talk about a civil insurrection. I will continue to be relying on the 2nd and 4th. Like most rights, the 2nd is not an unlimited right. Courts have routinely concluded that the right was not a right to keep and carry "any weapon" whatsoever and for any manner whatsoever, and for any reason whatsoever. Reasonability, for the use and situation, I believe is how bear arms has been concluded by the courts.

26-Mar-21
Next, they call an investigation and your house is searched, and all guns are seized. Child Protective Services are called and you're branded a nut job on the news because you had unlawful "assualt rifles" and 300 rounds in your possession. Just look at the effort the FBI has put toward arresting every single person involved in the Capitol 'Insurrection'. People of all walks of life have been branded, even though they might have been 1/4 mile away holding a Trump banner. Very few were violent, and those that were, should be arrested.

26-Mar-21

cherney12's Link

26-Mar-21
Thanks for the link...

26-Mar-21
Jason....agree 100% with your take on things. As more of our liberties are watered down and slowly erode away by one piece of passed legislation at a time.... that scenario that you explained (very well I might add) could indeed play out. If so, and if a Red Dawn moment ever happens....God help us all!

Patrick.....thx for the update on SB 40. I wasn’t aware of that.

26-Mar-21
I have been urging getting rid of the LaPierre family for several years, they are harming our efforts. Still won't abandon the NRA. Also support the Second Amendment Foundation, they do LOTS of political battling. Also support state gun assoc. If you really want to hear whats up just tune in Gun Talk on the weekends, Tom Gresham is on top of it. Have suggested him to replace LaPierre.

26-Mar-21
cherney12's link, Cooler, rational heads, will and did prevail.

JASON**** "Next, they call an investigation and your house is searched, and all guns are seized. Child Protective Services are called and you're branded a nut job on the news because you had unlawful "assualt rifles" and 300 rounds in your possession."

Jason, it is a hypothetical situation, but could absolutely happen and absolutely should happen if the person is acting or has committed acts that are not rational, or felonious. Again, probable cause must be demonstrated to a judge, before "they" can enter. You are under protection by the 4th.

It baffles me why folks don't understand two of the most important rights afforded to us by the constitution. But would rather imagine situations, that goes against everything that the 2nd and 4th protects.

Have a good turkey season.

26-Mar-21
Thanks, Dale.

Where you been hiding that intelligence all these years?????

26-Mar-21
Thanks, Dale.

26-Mar-21
Thanks, Dale.

26-Mar-21
Probable cause to search and enter was made possible with the neighbor hearing rapid fire with a possible new law that outlaws such. This is not new Chief, they can, and will try their hardest to outlaw certain guns just like they did in Firearms Act of 1934. Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde, and other outlaws were using Thompson sub machine guns to hose down rivals and the police. Before 1934, you could buy Thompsons and any other surplus auto with no problem. Now, they are Class III firearms and require the $200 tax stamp and the 6 month background check by the ATF. If caught with one not registered to you, it is 10 years in the big house. The Democrats are trying to get the same requirements as Class III firearms for all semi auto guns.

26-Mar-21
Nearly all Red flag Orders provide for the removal of a person’s firearms without ever giving them notice. In many of these schemes, including California’s, a confiscation order may be issued against someone completely unaware of any accusations underlying the order, first learning of the petition when the police arrive to seize their firearms.

The process of issuing a RFO in most states starts with someone petitioning the court for it. States vary on who can bring these petitions. In some states, only direct family members and dating partners can petition the court for a RFO. In others, though, this list is expanded to former dating partners, co-workers, friends, et al. Guns are gone and it is up to you to prove that you are not dangerous. Lots of lawyer fees and Court time.

26-Mar-21
Jason, Who REALEY needs a Thompson sub, or a Uzi, or ANY full auto? Other than military or police, and I'm not so sure about police even. I am glad, and hope efforts continue to keep this kind of weapon out of civilian hands. these types of fire arms, what good are they? They are useless to be owned by private individuals, seems that they to often, fall into the wrong hands, and when some mental ill person goes haywire with one, then it's more fodder for the fire from the left wing radicals, to eradicate even the useful legal hunting equipment.

26-Mar-21
I'd half agree with you, but you just answered yourself why we're having this debate. The liberals dont want us to have semi auto squirrel guns, semi auto shotguns, semi auto deer rifles, and the list goes on. If these laws pass, I couldn't even even use my Dad's old semi auto Remington .30-06 on deer or elk. The 2nd gives us the right to keep and "bear arms". It says "arms" and the Left wants us to only have muskets. Funny thing is, the AR-15 is the musket of today's world.

27-Mar-21
Jason,, The British tried to seize our muskets, and just about everything else. It didn't work then and I would hope seizure won't work now, and for the same reason. But they, (radical anti's) will keep trying, and so far, I personally am grateful for the way the supreme court has handled it, along with Kansas gun laws.

Didn't the Kansas legislature just pass a law allowing 18 to 20 year old's to obtain a canceled carry permit? Not to sure, but I think it did pass. Sounds like Kansas is headed in the right direction, no the sky is falling doom and gloom there.

Next thing you know those with the power to legislate, will be allowing our 18 year old military personnel to drink a beer. Oh the horror!

Happy for the passage of SB40. Now maybe someone in Emporia will open up a gun shop again.

27-Mar-21
Here’s the thing. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, I feel I’m pretty level-headed about such things.

Objectively, there has been some pretty heavy rhetoric from the Left, during the last campaign. I know, I know, it’s been there for years, but it seems to be gaining more traction this time around... and, I’m sorry, Biden is a complete idiot and he’s a puppet. He’s not running anything. Just a warm, barely lucid, body.

If you watched his press conference I’m not sure how you could come away from that feeling our country is on a better path. It has nothing to do with the “D” by his name.

My major concern has been ammo. Despite ammo companies running non-stop, It seems we have found a way to regulate it ourselves... you can’t find any for sale. I had to raid my dads gun cabinet for .243 ammo... that is just crazy.

I can’t stand the NRA, for much of the same reason as stated above. Xbow, administration, etc. Xbow being the biggest... when I read in one of my dads magazines with all the ads and one article I threw it in the trash.

Chief - “It ain’t going to happen”. I agree with you 99.9% of the time. I hope you are right, but I’m not sure I have that kind of confidence in our federal government... which is why I’m looking for an organization that actually believes 2nd amendment is worth protecting and works at it vs looking at is as a cash cow.

As for people not giving up their guns voluntarily? Not so sure. I’ve learned a lot of people talk like they are bad @$$es on the internet, only to find out they would likely wet themselves if pushed slightly... even in the Midwest.

The Supreme Court is very fluid... I’m thankful Trump was able to do what he did. One of the reasons I voted for him. BUT, that can quickly change.

We’ve been killing babies for decades. It’s acceptable and actually celebrated by many on the Left. If a court can make killing a child in a womb legal, you don’t think they can take a gun? It’s 2 justices away.

Glad/surprised to see Kelly signed that bill... wonder what the politics were behind the scenes to convince her of that? Likely, a re-election tactic.

27-Mar-21
Part of the "fat" in the recently passed SB40 was the governor's power to extend the state mask mandate that was to expire next week on 3\31. Whether your for it or against it....she' gonna extend it!

27-Mar-21
Mask mandate never bothered me, outside of the politics. I think it’s silly, especially after watching the flip-flopping from Fauci and the CDC. But, if it makes someone “feel better”... whatever, I’ll wear the thing if it’s required in some places. My ego isn’t that big.

Things are loosening up quite a bit around here though.

27-Mar-21
Mask mandate never bothered me, outside of the politics. I think it’s silly, especially after watching the flip-flopping from Fauci and the CDC. But, if it makes someone “feel better”... whatever, I’ll wear the thing if it’s required in some places. My ego isn’t that big.

Things are loosening up quite a bit around here though.

27-Mar-21
One Arrow,,,,, I too, also believe that the supply of ammunitions will play a Major role in regulation of firearms, if there ever comes a time. Hell who knows that may be what is going on now, (back door regulation/politics) and we just don't know it.

I over heard a guy tell another in bluestem farm and ranch store, that he could have bought a new car with what he has in ammunition's. And just laughed. It's dip siht like that, that certainly contributes to why we can't buy a frigging box of 22 long rifle shells.

I just discovered I am a hoarder. I found a 22 long rifle box in my clutter, and the much faded little stick on label, best that I could make it out said, Reno Hardware $.35 cents, 1957. Being raised in Eureka, I remember a Reno hardware store there. If I had just known, I'd have bought them all.... :>)

Also had an employee quite awhile back that works in the ammunition's/guns area, when I was looking for some 22 long rifle shells, tell me that when their supply truck arrives there is the same guy that buy's out most of it, of all calibers. Asked, why there was no limit on amount, she told me that Walmart management policy was to sell it, not regulate it. How does he know when it's arriving? Inside information she guessed. I asked when is the next semi arriving? She said they don't tell us anymore.

27-Mar-21
I see it every week when I go into cabelas or academy on shipment days. My ammo chest has about 300 lbs of various calibers in it that I bought little by little over the last 5 years. That's not counting partial boxes or shotguns shells. What makes me mad is the guys that buy every box of a caliber in the stores that don't regulate quantity.

27-Mar-21
Same thing is happening around here Chief. A manager at a local Wal-Mart was having the same issue, he took it upon himself to limit the buyer to one box of ammo when he was working.

These guys are doubling and tripling their money, from what I’ve seen online, sometimes more. Easily make a career out of it. Shell a few bucks out to the unloading guy, pretty sweet set-up.

I came across a brick of .22lr CCI the other day... I’ve been looking for it for months. I won’t say what I paid for it.

28-Mar-21
Shooting your bow is a much cheaper option these days!

28-Mar-21
Chief,

Thanks for some great posts! The 2nd A is probably THE Hill for many. Obviously I don't have the LE background you do, but agree I cannot see confiscation going as planned by those wanting it.

29-Mar-21
Wiens auction is online and has some ammo but not cheap

01-Apr-21
Wal-mart had 350 legend, 30-06, 270, 300 WSM, and 308 the other day for regular price before it sold out at 1 box per customer. I was able to nab a box of 350 and a box of 308.

01-Apr-21
Thx.....El Dorado, Wichita or other Walmart?

01-Apr-21
Any Walmart but these were Eldorado. I find bullets for regular price every week at either Cabelas, Academy, or Walmart in Wichita and Eldorado. You have to be there within a few hours or they're gone. It's good to have some odd calibers laying around because that's all they have sometimes.

01-Apr-21
I heard the morning line at Cabelas has sometimes wrapped around the side of the bldg. when they open?

01-Apr-21
I've never seen that, but I dont get there til 10 am. Usually the ammo they get in, they put on a rolling cart. I've seen it up by the service desk and back by the gun library.

01-Apr-21
This is getting stupid.

01-Apr-21
Or I should say this has been stupid from the beginning. ZERO need for this craziness

02-Apr-21

Thornton's embedded Photo
Saw this update the other day, Chief. Ole Biden is tryng to bypass the 4th Amendment.

02-Apr-21

02-Apr-21

02-Apr-21
Biden is a Fn MORON....

02-Apr-21

sitO's Link
They're doing "really great"...c'mon man

02-Apr-21
Jason, Concerns about your guns being confiscated by law enforcement, are understandably so with all the constant barrage from the left, anti's, news media, and all the other snowflakes. But, all I can say about that is if you have not committed a crime, then don't worry about officers finding fruits of a crime. You are protected. And I might add right here, that law enforcement can be quite pushy in the circumstances surrounding encounters with people, just relax, do everything the nice policeman say's and if you have nothing up your sleeve then you have nothing to worry about.

"Community care" procedure are used daily by law enforcement. Every time a person is arrested, and mostly as it was in my job, mostly concerning vehicles, an inventory search is completed. So if something is stolen after custody of the vehicle is turned over to lets say the towing/storage company, then we a have record, and if instrument's of a possible crime, or fruits of a crime are discovered during inventory, then that is "probable cause" for further investigation.

Example: I got a dispatch to go to the Emporia toll gate for an unpaid toll, the car displayed a stolen tag, further (probable cause search) due to possession of stolen tag: A search revealed tags in the vehicles trunk from California, Nevada, New Mexico. After their arrest, an "inventory search", (community care if you will) I say community care because the inventory search protects the community if there was a weapon in the vehicle from being stolen from the vehicle while in storage and used against anyone in the community. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, a .38 cal. revolver was discovered under the front seat, two shots had been fired.

Long story short, the gun was used in a homicide in Los Angeles. The body of a woman had been discovered in a remote area of Nevada, with two gun shot wounds. A California Bureau of investigation officer flew to Wichita to pick up the gun to take back to Los Angeles. (chain of evidence) I took the gun to Wichita to transfer to him. CBI later matched the bullets take out of the woman, with the gun. Also the California tag, was issued to this woman's husband. Dumb asses, nothing like carrying around all the incriminating evidence, then get busted when they can't pay a $4.00 toll.

Bow camp interference: I received a subpoena from the Los Angeles County court, but I didn't go because I was on my annual two week deer camp. My Sergeant came down to the camp and told me I had a subpoena. I convinced him to fly out instead of me. He had assisted with the arrest, interrogation, and inventory, so he was also eligible to subpoena, so he went. I got to continue to deer hunt which was WAY more important. :)

I wish I had went, I didn't get a deer. He said he was housed in a swanky hotel and fed like a King for a week. And escorted around all the sites and toured the areas where the Watts riots occurred, which were still in ruins even 10 years later. He told me that California was the last place on earth he would want to live, and that was back when it was not like it is now.

I can't say Relax, but don't let it consume you with fear of confiscation under the many seemingly ambiguous circumstances that exists. Again, your protected, no crime, no time applies. Granted, you might be inundated by procedures, but better to have procedures than Not. No procedures = communism.

Biden is nothing but a puppet, much like Obama, being operated by the puppeteer's.

This country had a good chance of cleaning out the sludge that has become Washington D.C. but it was not to be. The ones pulling on the strings, also make the rules.

03-Apr-21
That is an awesome story Chief. I see you had the same priorities I've had most of my life about hunting:). I completely understand all that Chief. I took several criminal law classes in community college and I volunteered as an officer for a summer in a small town back in 06' running traffic stops on hwy 400. It helped me decide to go into healthcare instead. The libs are trying to change existing laws so something legal, becomes illegal without their proposed taxes and banning of certain guns and magazines. A simple Ruger .22 rifle could potentially become illegal if you didn't pay your $200 tax, have done your psych eval, registered it, or used a readily available 25 rd mag.

03-Apr-21
With the current sentiment on law enforcement, and the news media focusing on all the controversial parts of the story, and with very little of the good public service part of the job being shown, I'd say you made a smart decision. Both of my daughters wanted to be in law enforcement, THANK GOD, I was able to talk them out of it. My youngest, decided on nursing, after old dad came home looking like I had tried to stuff a freight train into a 8 x10.

• Sitka Gear