Sitka Gear
Your new OH land
Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
Tpb 26-Mar-21
Pat Lefemine 29-Mar-21
Tpb 30-Mar-21
26-Mar-21
Pat, I enjoy following your land improvement, food plot, and hunting projects. Just wondering how it has worked out so far with your new OH land. Do you find the distance from home to be a problem, how have the locals been, any issues that have come up? I love the idea of owning a nice piece of property in a great deer hunting area I just struggle with looking too far from CT considering how much time you can spend there and other issues being far from home, even equipment wise. Again, really enjoy following your land adventures!

29-Mar-21
Tyler, the distance is not really a problem for me since the property had an old home and I completely renovated it. So I have a comfortable place to stay and work. Also, my job allows me to work from home anywhere I want, I just need a good internet connection and good cell coverage. When I was shopping for properties that was a strict requirement.

As to the drive? I wish it was closer than 9 hours. I have to plan out my trips to Ohio. I typically come down here for weeks, months at a clip. My NY property is only 3.5 hours so I could shoot up there after work. If I leave for Ohio on Saturday morning at 8 I'm here by dinner time, it's not too bad. I don't mind long drives.

The locals have been Ok. Since the property was uninhabited for so long, a few of my neighbors took liberties with the land that I needed to address. One of my neighbors required a confrontation and that appears to have worked. Time will tell. My cell cameras and security systems have worked wonders. Once people realize they are being watched the behavior corrects itself quickly.

I have a full-blown farm here. 130 acres + a house, with 30 acres tillable. We went this route because eventually I would like to downsize and leave Connecticut behind forever. It's a horrible place to live if you're a conservative, you believe in the 2A, and you are an avid hunter. Ohio, is the complete opposite, low taxes, incredible hunting, and it's basically a solid red state.

A couple of things to consider: Ohio land is not cheap, its roughly 40% more than Kentucky. I struggled with the decision between KY and OH and the deer hunting is similar in both states. Plan to spend 2500/ac in KY and 3500+ in OH. I ended up choosing OH because it was much closer, and the deer season structures are overwhelmingly favorable to bowhunting. Plus, I got the sense that I would have more neighbor problems in KY.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

30-Mar-21
Pat, thanks for the response. I know exactly what you’re talking about with ct, I have the same thoughts. I value your opinion and research on states to consider. I’ll keep you abreast on any progress or reach out with further questions. I’m in a slightly different family (younger kids) and work situation (I can’t work remotely) so it makes the time horizon stretch out a bit more. Thanks again, and good luck, I’ll be following along! Tyler

• Sitka Gear