N8tureBoy 30-Mar-21
GF 30-Mar-21
longbeard 31-Mar-21
GF 31-Mar-21
Big Dog 09-Apr-21
Big Dog 09-Apr-21
28-Mar-21

GF's Link
Just stumbled across this this morning... looks like a fun place to kill some time.....

Anybody been there?

28-Mar-21
He's my neighbor. He has a lot if nice antique things of all types.

28-Mar-21
Looks like a fun place to hang out on a rainy day like today!

28-Mar-21
And it would bear the snot out of standing here in “enemy territory” at Dick’s, getting precious little help for my son to try on shoes.

Not a bullet or bowstring anywhere in sight.....

28-Mar-21
I think I remember him telling me he is just open by appointment now during thanks to Covid.

28-Mar-21
Well, that does make a certain amount of sense… Let’s hope that is all behind us soon!

29-Mar-21
very cool stuff.

30-Mar-21
4 gauge shotgun just in time for turkey season...

30-Mar-21
You first. I’ve had enough concussions already.

I can’t recall if it was David Petzal or Jim Carmichael who described the recoil of a 4-gauge as “terrifying…

31-Mar-21
Why? Just why? Is all I can muster up to say about using a 4 gauge shotgun.

31-Mar-21
They are in artifact from the age of Market Hunting.

We all know that “flock shooting“ is a terrible way to go about bird hunting, but with a 4 it was a good way to take out the whole flock at once. Those guys would ease up on a bunch of rafted-up ducks at night, and hey, if you’re only going to get off one shot, may as well make it a quarter-pounder, right? I think there may even have been 2-gauges - these huge bores were known as punt guns - “punt” as in a type of rowboat. Those were laid in a cradle pointed in line with the bow and they’d just aim the boat at the flock, then probably hang on for dear life while the boat took the recoil...

And back in the early days of the Ivory trade, there were 8 & 4 gauge RIFLES; some of the 8s were even built as doubles IIRC. Gigantic, roundball cartridge rifles for stopping elephants and such.

Ross Seyfried wrote about these pretty extensively... he apparently had a limitless tolerance for recoil and used to hunt jack-rabbits with DG stopping rifles...

09-Apr-21
Nature, take out the whole flock, lol ?

09-Apr-21
GF, the book, "Hunter" by J.A. Hunter is a good read about the life of a pro hunter in Africa. It's a little known classic.

• Sitka Gear