JDM 29-Mar-21
oldgoat 29-Mar-21
Jaquomo 30-Mar-21
sticksender 30-Mar-21
pronghorn21 01-Apr-21
Glunt@work 02-Apr-21
JohnMC 02-Apr-21
28-Mar-21
Can someone explain to me the regulation that allows non-residents to draw a moose tag (specifically cow) with 0 preference points? I thought one had to have 3 PP minimum to be eligible to draw a Big 3 tag. Specifically, I saw in 2020 MF171O1A that 6 NRs applied with 0 points and 3 of them drew a cow tag when residents with 3+18 didn't draw. Is there something in the regulations that allow this? This is not a bash on NRs, I just don't understand how this is possible. Thanks, Confused in Monument, CO.

28-Mar-21
I don't know the regulation but the res/nonres pools are separate for moose. Most nonres put in for bull tags so a nonres putting in for a cow tag has good odds.

28-Mar-21
I understand the pools are different, I thought one had to have 3 PP to be eligible to draw irrespective of resident / non-resident.

28-Mar-21
No. Thats the case with most moose, sheep, goat tags simply because of demand, its not a rule. Just supply and demand means there are basically always enough residents with 3+ so no one under that gets a tag. Nonresidents aren't excited about forking over the $$ for a cow tag so demand is low.

28-Mar-21
Thanks Glunt, but I'm still confused. The CPW document covering weighted point drawings states "During the draw, all applications with three regular preference points are grouped together with the smallest final draw number at the top and the largest at the bottom. The smallest final draw number draws first...." This implies you have to have 3 Preference Points to even be considered for the draw. Perhaps this language is wrong.

Regardless, it just seems terribly wrong that residents fail to draw with 3+whatever, and a NR can draw with 0 Preference Points in the same unit. It seems like we are drawing with different rules. Every stat I've looked at for the Big 3, no resident is even eligible to draw with less than 3 Preference Points - they're not even in the pool. Why are non-residents able to draw?

My mom tells me I'm slow, so maybe she's correct and I'm just not getting it.

28-Mar-21
I redact my previous message. I found a resident moose draw with 2 preference points in 2019. Mom is correct and so is Glunt. I think the wording on the CPW handout is incorrect.

29-Mar-21
look at the points to draw stats on cpw website. plainly shows. nonres draw some tags with less than 3. It also shows NO resident cow moose drawn for less than 3 in 2020 unless I missed one.

I bet this year, with the huge swell of guys that now have 3+0 in hand, the days od nonres getting cow moose for less than 3 points are over. some of those guys wil clog up the cow draw is my guess. https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Moose/2020MooseDrawnOut.pdf

29-Mar-21
NR and Resident tag pools are kept separate.

If nobody has 3 or more points, or if, as in your case, there aren't enough people with 3 or more points and there are still tags left for the NR, then they would go to those with 2 point, 1 point, or 0 points if there are tags still left. If there are tags left in the NR draw due to it being under-subscribed, I believe they would go to residents.

29-Mar-21
There's one guy on here that drew a cow tag second choice as a non resident.

30-Mar-21
Until the "free apps" were implemented, NRs could draw cow moose in my unit every year with 0 PPs.

30-Mar-21
khunter got it correct....the good old days of under-subscribed cow tags are now over. In the "olden times" (not that many years ago) much of the NR allocation of cow tags were not even drawn by NR, due to an almost complete lack of interest on the part of NR's in paying 2 grand to shoot a cow moose. Back then, most of the NR cow tags were rolled over to the resident draw. I took advantage back in those times and drew a cow tag twice, each time as a 3rd or 4th choice. But those days are over, with on-line apps allowed for NR's, and no fronting the full license fee anymore. Everybody plays now.

If you go back far enough in the recaps, you can also find low-demand NR bighorn ram and mountain goat tags drawn as a 2nd choice. That'll never happen again.

01-Apr-21
I saw about 3 years ago a non resident drew 2nd choice so that would mean you could draw 1st choice with 0 points. Go for it if you really want to shoot it $2000 cow moose. Stimulus money gets printed daily it seems.

02-Apr-21
These are the "good old days". I can guarantee that if you could ask yourself 30 years from now, you would agree.

02-Apr-21
I have a suggestion. If the CPW does not want to lose the almighty NR dollar. Give all the cow moose and ewe tags to NR at 2000 a pop. Then cut the number of NR elk hunters. ;)

• Sitka Gear